Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: Non Football Related: General Chat:
Worst train company

First page Previous page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next page Last page  View All

scottywalds
First Team Star

Dec 4, 2018, 8:44 PM

Team(s): Boston United

Post #276 of 288 (7436 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mick] Worst train company [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
Tickets bought often have the caveat "via any reasonable route".

Can you provide some examples ? I thought that routeing for National Rail tickets was withdrawn over 20 years ago.

The standard is "Any permitted route". These can be found by using an online journey planner, a printed itinerary from a ticket off or using the Routeing Guide.

Also, if there are 2 ticketed routes sold from A to B (e.g. 1 price for A any permiited to B, and another for A to B via C), then the higher priced ticket is valid via both routes. An example round here is Sleaford to Peterborough, which is cheaper via Spalding (but this only has service between 9 and 4,30), but if you buy via Grantham, you can use either route.

kirby knitters
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Dec 5, 2018, 7:50 AM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #277 of 288 (7303 views)
Shortcut
Re: [scottywalds] Worst train company [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To
Tickets bought often have the caveat "via any reasonable route".

Can you provide some examples ? I thought that routeing for National Rail tickets was withdrawn over 20 years ago.

The standard is "Any permitted route". These can be found by using an online journey planner, a printed itinerary from a ticket off or using the Routeing Guide.

Also, if there are 2 ticketed routes sold from A to B (e.g. 1 price for A any permiited to B, and another for A to B via C), then the higher priced ticket is valid via both routes. An example round here is Sleaford to Peterborough, which is cheaper via Spalding (but this only has service between 9 and 4,30), but if you buy via Grantham, you can use either route.
------
------
Easy to see why people complain about the number of tickets on offer to a destination and the price structure of these different tickets with conditions applied. Many simply do not have the time or know how to look for the best options. I recently bought a single that had "valid via" some place that I have never heard of and only got a going on a different route because of industrial action on NR.
I was under the impression that the Government were going to make things easier for the rail travelling public on the ticketing front.

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 19, 2018, 11:30 PM

Team(s): Pompey

Post #278 of 288 (4593 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] Worst train company [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

At last, some common sense from one of the rail operators...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/...and-suffolk-46610802

...as First Anglia promise to scrap first-class seating in almost all of its trains by January 2020.

TroubleAtMill
Reserve Team Sub

Dec 20, 2018, 8:03 AM

Post #279 of 288 (4549 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oxpete] Worst train company [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Standards slip at Deutsche Bahn https://www.theguardian.com/...eutsche-bahn-railway

kirby knitters

Dec 20, 2018, 8:27 AM

Post #280 of 288 (4538 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

...as First Anglia promise to scrap first-class seating in almost all of its trains by January 2020.
-----
-----
What a superb move by GA and it would be great if others followed their lead, let's hope these new trains are in operation on time so passengers can get the benefit of it. I thought they may have put first-class seating on the Stansted Express services to/from Liverpool Street but I suppose if punters are using Ryanair who are massive at that airport it would probably all be for nothing.Sly

Loiner
First Team Star

Dec 20, 2018, 10:36 AM

Team(s): None. A supporter of grassroots football

Post #281 of 288 (4510 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] Worst train company [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Industrial action on Northern now extended to include 22nd and 29th December. Company say 30% service will run but with "very few" trains after 17:00.

Now extended to include all Saturday's in January.

chesterbird
Youth Team Regular

Dec 20, 2018, 2:02 PM

Team(s): Chester City, Liverpool FC,

Post #282 of 288 (4476 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Loiner] Worst train company [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The disgusting and abhorrent RMT union should be shot and closed down for causing all these problems.

An utter disgrace,no doubt causing chaos for footballing types like myself and my hubby.

bakis
Reserve Team Regular

Dec 20, 2018, 7:13 PM

Team(s): Kidderminster Harriers

Post #283 of 288 (4358 views)
Shortcut

Chiltern did it years ago on the majority of their trains and it seems to have worked for them. Mind you they would probably feature on a 'Best train company' thread if we ever had one.

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 20, 2018, 9:55 PM

Post #284 of 288 (4321 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

What a superb move by GA and it would be great if others followed their lead, let's hope these new trains are in operation on time so passengers can get the benefit of it. I thought they may have put first-class seating on the Stansted Express services to/from Liverpool Street but I suppose if punters are using Ryanair who are massive at that airport it would probably all be for nothing.Sly

One train operator who really should look seriously at this is my own particular least-favourite: CrossCountry. Too many times I have to use their trains (which may well have come from as far away as Edinburgh or Plymouth, with all the litter, crowds and blocked toilets you'd expect on a journey of that distance) and find them only four carriages long, of which three will be rammed-packed while the fourth first-class carriage is usually entirely empty. Their trains passing through Birmingham International on a Saturday morning are particularly uncomfortable.

mick
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 20, 2018, 10:45 PM

Post #285 of 288 (4295 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chesterbird] Worst train company [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
The disgusting and abhorrent RMT union should be shot and closed down for causing all these problems.

Shooting thousands of people will obviously solve the problems on the railway.

Which group do you want to murder next ?

(This post was edited by mick on Dec 20, 2018, 10:47 PM)

greenwood
Reserve Team Sub

Dec 21, 2018, 12:48 AM

Team(s):

Post #286 of 288 (4261 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mick] Worst train company [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Shooting thousands of people will obviously solve the problems on the railway.

Which group do you want to murder next ?

chesterbird was obviously joking.

kirby knitters

Dec 21, 2018, 7:58 AM

Post #287 of 288 (4165 views)
Shortcut

XC are an embarrassment with nearly everything they touch and the overcrowding in the Newcastle/Leeds/Birmingham areas I believe cannot be far off a safety issue and more worrying is the fact that I think the franchise to that awful company has been extended. There was talk of splitting them up slightly with WMT taking over the Leic- BNS services in these parts but I have heard nothing of late. They are the only company that aren't responsible for the running of stations and still get so much wrong.

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 24, 2018, 7:42 PM

Post #288 of 288 (2929 views)
Shortcut

A report about the problems currently occurring on the Ormskirk-to-Preston line run by Northern Rail...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/...t-rail-service-in-uk

...where apparently over 2000 services (one third of all those services due to run on the line) have been cancelled since May.

First page Previous page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3