First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Nov 16, 2011, 12:13 AM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #1 of 27 (5222 views)
Shortcut
I'm not an away fan, honest! Can't Post or Reply Privately

Standing in the away end and just about keeping it in when Ireland scored on Friday.........took me back to days when I used to follow Liverpool in particular, and league football more generally and that moment of dread when you think you may be outed because you're stood in the wrong place.

I remember being "asked the time" on the Holte End once and replied in my wife's best Smethwick brogue which got me off the hook on that occasion. Having to scarper at Hampden Park when Mark Lawrenson scored in the Euro 88 qualifiers as the previously benign Scots around me turned........

Anyone else been in that situation - no doubt there will be some who just celebrated and thought "bring it on" but that's not what I'm really after............

dottirofhod
Man City Transfer Target!

Nov 16, 2011, 12:15 AM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #2 of 27 (5220 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] I'm not an away fan, honest! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

That goal from Gazza , standing then jumping among kilted gentlemen.

July 1, 2019 to June 30,2020 = 87 / 75 / 12 / inc 3 x 0-0's. (You know my rules) @ 14 / 10 / 2019.
2019/20. Benelux = Bel = 0-0-0-(I(MUI-I)-0-0)-(0-2-1-1)/ Lux = 0-2 / Neth = 0-0-0-(1 - 2) Others France = 0-0 / Germany =0-0-0 / Italy =0-1(Act 2- Frosinone new)./ Iberia = P = 0-0 & S = 0-0.

Now blogging at https://eccentricity.video.blog/

Bristol Rovers
Youth Team Sub

Nov 16, 2011, 5:09 AM

Post #3 of 27 (5208 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] I'm not an away fan, honest! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

As a nine-year-old, I went to Stamfod Bridge on New Year's Day 1976 to see the mighty Bristol Rovers in the FA Cup. After 18 minutes, Alan Warboys leapt above Mickey Droy to head Rovers into the lead. I leapt equally high but, on my way down, happened to notice that the other 10,000 or so in my section of the ground looked rather glum-faced. Oddly enough, Chelski's standing has tended to go upwards since 1976, whereas Rovers have followed me in a downward spiral.

Dr Love
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 16, 2011, 7:41 AM

Team(s): Halifax Town

Post #4 of 27 (5202 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bristol Rovers] I'm not an away fan, honest! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I've had the opposite - being in the home end and not celebrating, which was remarked upon by a fan behind me. First time I ever saw Halifax was at Stockport County, and there is quite a lot of support for them in my family (hence being in the home section). Didn't have much to cheer about that day, the one goal in a 5-1 defeat was just a latish consolation, already well out of the game by that point.

IAN S
First Team Star

Nov 16, 2011, 10:31 AM

Team(s): Sheffield United, Sheffield Eagles, Kendal Town

Post #5 of 27 (5183 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dr Love] I'm not an away fan, honest! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Done this many a time - from being a naive schoolboy through to being the only way I could get a ticket.

Once borrowed my m8's pensioners season ticket for swillsboro. (he was in hospital at time) and found myself surrounded by their main hooligan mob. When they all pointed to the plastic inflatable pig with a "Warnock" label around it's neck, I had to laugh outloud with them, saddos that they were! Keeping quiet was hard because we beat them easily 2-1, I just reminded myself of the thought of joining my m8 in an adjoining ward!

We'll be, as we are, when all the fools who doubt us fade away.

sandhurstbee

Nov 16, 2011, 1:14 PM

Team(s): Brentford, Sandhurst Town and Most local Non League sides.

Post #6 of 27 (5163 views)
Shortcut
Re: [IAN S] I'm not an away fan, honest! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Brentford played away to Southampton in the FA Cup, Typical Brentford cocked up and sold all their allocation before Season ticket holders got a chance. I managed to get 3 tickets from a Southampton Season Ticket holder in the Saints end. Didn`t wear any colours (Though Red/White stripes would have been OKWink and kept quiet- First Time for everything Smile)- Our tickets were next to the Away section and as I walked up the terraces pass the stewards a mate shouted from the Brentford end `Barry what are you doing over there?` I thought I would be thrown out but it just seemed to confuse the Muppet stewards, Tongue

Last New Ground 2016/17 (15) 29/4/2017 HIGHMOOR/IBIS RESERVES 1 Mortimer 1 - Thames Valley premier league, Premier Division

Matty
Reserve Team Star

Nov 16, 2011, 1:25 PM

Team(s): All things Derbyshire

Post #7 of 27 (5159 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sandhurstbee] I'm not an away fan, honest! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Taking my then girlfriends 9 yr old son to an FA Cup replay - Sheff Weds v Derby (Warhurst scored winner after 3-3 draw in 1st game) - on taking my seat in the home end he could nt help but point out to all insundry that I was Rams fan - and this when all Derbyshire people were still called scabs from the miners strike - still not found that mine in Derby yet - Newton where I now live yes - we're disappearing into one

JohnD
Reserve Team Regular

Nov 16, 2011, 2:25 PM

Team(s): Frickley

Post #8 of 27 (5148 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Matty] I'm not an away fan, honest! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Me and a Barnsley supporting mate went to watch the Reds at Maine Road, early 1990's in the FA Cup I think. Barnsley had sold out their allocation so we got a couple of tickets from touts outside. The away end at Maine Road in those days was split down the middle. Our tickets were in the City bit so we prepared to bite our lips. We did the usual thing of hanging around the few empty seats in the Barnsley section. Luckily we got two that were bang on the last row, separated from the City lot by a bit of mesh and some bored looking stewards.

So we spent 45 minutes baiting the City fans which was great till the two Barnsley fans turned up at half time, and turfed us out. The second half in the city section was interesting..

Isaac

Nov 16, 2011, 3:17 PM

Team(s): ABMU

Post #9 of 27 (5140 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bristol Rovers] I'm not an away fan, honest! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
As a nine-year-old, I went to Stamfod Bridge on New Year's Day 1976 to see the mighty Bristol Rovers in the FA Cup. After 18 minutes, Alan Warboys leapt above Mickey Droy to head Rovers into the lead. I leapt equally high but, on my way down, happened to notice that the other 10,000 or so in my section of the ground looked rather glum-faced. Oddly enough, Chelski's standing has tended to go upwards since 1976, whereas Rovers have followed me in a downward spiral.

Funnily enough I was talking to a gashead just the other day about Alan Warboys and Bruce Bannister (aka smash & grab) and their 2-8 at Brighton (Brian Clough was manager at the time) in which they scored seven between the two of them.

mick
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 16, 2011, 8:31 PM

Post #10 of 27 (5103 views)
Shortcut

Yes, Baggies away at Millwall, October 1974.

Seriously underestimating the time it would take to get from Paddington to The Den, I rushed into the first available turnstile just in time to see the kick off. When Lyndon Hughes gave us an early lead, I managed to stay silent - not so a small group of Albion fans in the stand who were immediately set upon by the cuddly dockers. Although fighting on the terraces was common in those days this was the first time I had ever witnessed fighting in the stand.

Fortunately none of the 'boys' spoke to me all game as I doubt whether I could pull off a convincing Sarf London accent. Never, before or since, have I been so happy to get on the train home unscathed.

cope1

Nov 16, 2011, 8:42 PM

Post #11 of 27 (5100 views)
Shortcut

My great aunt gave me Chelsea fix a couple yrs running for my birthday as it was near where she lived and I saw them against Arsenal in 90-91 season when it was the only game Arsenal lost. Being in the Shed I kept my scarf covered until they scored the 2nd to make it 2-0 and undid me coat and walk towards the exit. As I looked back I saw a kid looking at me and tugging on his dad's arm - I quickstepped out the gate, missing our consolation goal

Red Adder
Youth Team Star

Nov 16, 2011, 8:52 PM

Post #12 of 27 (5097 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cope1] I'm not an away fan, honest! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Jasper Carrot used to do a set about being a Bluenose with an over-exitable mate at Old Trafford - of course Brum took the lead ......

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Nov 17, 2011, 12:16 AM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #13 of 27 (5073 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Red Adder] I'm not an away fan, honest! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

There must have been some Baggies fans outed among the 30,000 (and counting) who went to THAT 5-3......................

jon b
First Team Star

Nov 17, 2011, 1:07 PM

Team(s): SUFC, SWFC etc

Post #14 of 27 (5023 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sandhurstbee] I'm not an away fan, honest! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Brentford played away to Southampton in the FA Cup, Typical Brentford cocked up and sold all their allocation before Season ticket holders got a chance. I managed to get 3 tickets from a Southampton Season Ticket holder in the Saints end. Didn`t wear any colours (Though Red/White stripes would have been OKWink and kept quiet- First Time for everything Smile)- Our tickets were next to the Away section and as I walked up the terraces pass the stewards a mate shouted from the Brentford end `Barry what are you doing over there?` I thought I would be thrown out but it just seemed to confuse the Muppet stewards, Tongue

You're in with the home support and someone shouts over that you're in the wrong end?!

Are you sure he's a mate?!!! Shocked

zebedee
First Team Star

Nov 17, 2011, 1:29 PM

Team(s): Southport

Post #15 of 27 (5015 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jon b] I'm not an away fan, honest! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

About five years ago I went to watch a League Cup semi final between Chelsea and Everton at Stamford Bridge. I went with a friend who is an Everton fan but our tickets were in one of the home areas. As we went in one my bag was checked and whilst doing this the steward asked what we thought the result would be. I suggested a narrow Chelsea win but my friend said 'I think Chelsea will win but I'm hoping Everton do'. The steward gave him a look and suggested he stayed quiet if Everton scored.

yorkieexile
First Team Star

Nov 17, 2011, 1:52 PM

Team(s): Halifax, Groundhopper

Post #16 of 27 (5009 views)
Shortcut
Re: [zebedee] I'm not an away fan, honest! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

My first visit to Cold Blow Lane was for a midweek league game, Millwall v Halifax Town in the mid 70's. Not many away fans, but I was quite happily wearing my blue and white Halifax scarf (which did look identical to a blue and white Millwall scarf) and was just hoping that no-one wanted to speak to me outside the ground.

My Yorkshire accent then would not have been mistaken for the sarf london one.

Glad I was able to drive down there

Tim

Nov 17, 2011, 1:54 PM

Team(s): Stourbridge, Welton Rovers

Post #17 of 27 (5008 views)
Shortcut

There must have been some Baggies fans outed among the 30,000 (and counting) who went to THAT 5-3......................

I was one of them, and had a pretty uncomfortable time in the seats very close to the Stretford End, especially as one of my travelling companions insisted on waving his Albion scarf throughout the match. Given the near total silence each time the Baggies scored, I'd be surprised if the away fans numbered more than a few hundred.... but history tells us otherwise. It was very hard to keep quiet when Cyrille banged in number five.

Just had another look - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTAMsgAdsII - proper football.

KnowYourMarket

Nov 17, 2011, 6:52 PM

Team(s): WBA, FC Saarbruecken, Brierley Hill Alliance (RIP)

Post #18 of 27 (4977 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tim] I'm not an away fan, honest! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Cyrille had a hand in this goal too....

http://www.youtube.com/...=1&v=2yFOU6qjZDk

I'm sure Grumpydwarf will enjoy.

Last ground visited(update requested by Spud): Wellington . New grounds 18/19: 38

leohoenig
Administrator

Nov 17, 2011, 8:20 PM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #19 of 27 (4956 views)
Shortcut
Re: [KnowYourMarket] I'm not an away fan, honest! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In this day and age, all one gets for applauding FC Basel goals at Old Trafford is the odd sideways look from those around you. I applauded because it was good football

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

Garrincha's dog
First Team Star

Nov 18, 2011, 12:11 AM

Post #20 of 27 (4921 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] I'm not an away fan, honest! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Done it many a time following Swindon, most memorable/potentially volatile were at:

Elland Road (with LS8, who kept a bit of a grip on me when Swindon nearly scored a winner at the end of a 0-0 footballing feast)

Anfield (again LS8, Away allocation of tickets all sold, we sat in some shitty side stand - oldest part of the ground at the time, up near the Kop. Not a problem we were expecting a hammering only for Swindon to go 0-1 and 1-2 ahead before a late scabby equaliser saved Liverpool).

Maine Road (a solo trip this time my travelling companion had developed Moss side flu, I stood in the Kippax as it was about 4 cheaper than the away fans had to pay. Another defeat expected, had Swindon won they could have come off the bottom of the Division for the first time all season. 0-1 , 0-2 : stunned City fans, stunned me having to pretend to be as gutted as they were. Make that 0-1 as the Ref saw a phantom push in the build up. We lost 2-1 and remained bottom of the League).

Bloomfield Road (a game to win promotion, all visiting tickets sold out but as I was living up north getting a couple of home ones wasn't a problem. Swindon went one up and a small group near us celebrated, we probably gave ourselves away as we were the only ones in the vicinity not to give them grief.)

Some others: Gay Meadow, Vicarage Road, Sincil Bank, Craven Cottage, Pirelli Stadium. I'm sure there are more.

Isaac

Nov 18, 2011, 11:51 AM

Team(s): ABMU

Post #21 of 27 (4891 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Garrincha's dog] I'm not an away fan, honest! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

A Chelsea fan I know went to Maine Road in 1979 when Chelsea were bottom of the league, Chelsea fans were 'banned' and so there was no away section. A copper had warned him and his mates to keep quiet or their London accents would give them away, anyway there were quite a few Chelsea fans there and they won 2-3 and they cheered all three goals and got no animosity at all from the City fans who were more interested in booing their own teams poor performance. After the game the City fans were great and he said City have always been his second favourite team ever since.

LondonBuck
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 27, 2011, 7:13 AM

Team(s): AFC Telford United, Witham Town, Folkestone Invicta, Gillingham, Woking

Post #22 of 27 (4660 views)
Shortcut

Had many a run in with the steward's at Stevenage Boro at the time when conference clubs didn't generally do segregation. Always preferred to stand on the half way line regardless and things did get a little bit dicey on account of us usually beating or drawing with them. Sly
Kettering never seemed to like us invading their space either Shocked

643 GROUNDS - Milton Keynes Robins (61/92)
582 WETHERSPOONS - Lytham
2 WETHERSPOONS HOTELS - Ripon

sandhurstbee

Dec 1, 2011, 1:25 PM

Team(s): Brentford, Sandhurst Town and Most local Non League sides.

Post #23 of 27 (4486 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jon b] I'm not an away fan, honest! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

You're in with the home support and someone shouts over that you're in the wrong end?!

Are you sure he's a mate?!!! Shocked

No just Thick Wink - His wife sussed the situation before the stewards and managed to shut him up.

Last New Ground 2016/17 (15) 29/4/2017 HIGHMOOR/IBIS RESERVES 1 Mortimer 1 - Thames Valley premier league, Premier Division

Ropemaker

Dec 11, 2011, 4:20 PM

Team(s): Hailsham Town

Post #24 of 27 (4158 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] I'm not an away fan, honest! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
In this day and age, all one gets for applauding FC Basel goals at Old Trafford is the odd sideways look from those around you. I applauded because it was good football

In 2007, when I went to see Liverpool v Cardiff in the League Cup, there were a number of Cardiff fans dotted around the side (home) stand I was sitting in who stood up and applauded their equalising goal. A Liverpool fan near where I was called a steward over, pointed to some of the Cardiff fans who were sitting nearby and they were then thrown out.

Having said all that, when I went to see Cardiff v Leeds in the FA Cup at the old Ninian Park in 2002, Leeds fans in the Cardiff section who applauded when Leeds scored were told by stewards to leave in no uncertain terms!

Just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

mip

Dec 12, 2011, 9:34 AM

Team(s): Portsmouth, OB, Svendborg fB, Tved B

Post #25 of 27 (4119 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ropemaker] I'm not an away fan, honest! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

A couple of months ago I was at the VfB Stuttgart v Hamburger SV Bundesliga game. Being sat in the "quiet"/family home end I was surprised by the number of people dotted around wearing HSV attire. It might have been the result of a sold out away section. No problems with stewards or Stuttgart supporters. Even chearing of the HSV goals as they turned the game to their advantage in the 2nd half didn't cause any problems.

Very pleasing this is still possible at a top level game. And yes, there are certainly also places in Germany where this couldn't happen.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3