Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

THIS FORUM IS NOW READ ONLY - PLEASE HEAD OVER TO THE NEW FORUM HERE (CLICK LINK) TO REGISTER A NEW ACCOUNT - THANKS

Home: Archive: Prediction League:
2007-08 PL League

vienna1964
Deleted

Jul 9, 2007, 2:19 AM

Team(s):

Post #1 of 18 (19005 views)
Shortcut
2007-08 PL League Can't Post or

I will shortly be resetting the site's PL League (http://www.nlpl.co.uk/...a739e7&cmd=table), so please be sure to take any information from that now if you need it !

Whilst writing, I would like to advertise the new season's PL League to old and new Members of the site, alike - in the hope that we'll manage to get a reasonable cadre of folks starting competition in week 1 and continuing to play throughout to the end of the season.

Last season's compy saw a grand total of 69 players throughout the course of the season - which was down upon the previous season's numbers, but still a nice enough entry.

For the new season, I anticipate a dozen fixtures per Saturday; based upon one per Division from the twelve Step 1 through 4 levels; and this will also apply to 'high days & holidays' wherein a full programme of matches is expected to be played. There may well be some Friday/Sunday variations about the more usual Saturday fixtures.
There will also be regular midweek fixtures to play, perhaps half-a-dozen or so per week, when such fixtures are 'regularly' scheduled and there may also be a few 'midweekers' included which are not necessarily on the 'regular calendar'. These latter will usually be what I term 'filler' matches added to the game to cover for any postponed games.
As last season, I shall not particularly be rescheduling postponed games - they will most usually simply drop from the schedule. Odd ones which are rescheduled with a definitive date on the actual date of the original match may well be carried over, but I will not be guaranteeing this particularly !

Again, I shall also be following the FA Cup, FA Trophy & FA Vase competitions with fixtures to predict and on such 'Knockout Days' there will usually be an extra 8 fixtures to predict, at least until the 1/8-Final Rounds - whereafter there are naturally less than eight possible fixtures to include. A small addition to the FA Cup fixture section will see us follow this competition all the way to the Final this season - and will always include 8 fixtures concerning non-League clubs or otherwise, the maximum number of fixtures available which include non-League clubs if there are less than eight in any given Round and will otherwise follow the same format as the other knock-out competitions. This season we'll be doing the 'big Cups' as a 'Road to Wembley' exercise, a pattern with which I'm sure you are all familiar. As we'll be following 8 fixtures in each Round, there will inevitably be the occasion when two of our teams are drawn against each other and if this happens, I'll just pick another 'likely looking' fixture to complete the set and then continue following the winner of that as if we had been doing so from the beginning ! An extra 'bonus' for us this season is the Setanta Cup and I will endeavour to follow this tournament in the same way as I do the 'big' Cups !

There will be occasional 'guest fixtures' from Step 5, but these will be kept to a minimum and will generally most likely concern particular games of interest from around the Leagues and will also generally be included as 'fillers' for when more normal fixtures are unavailable.

As usual, I will try to ensure a fair spread of fixtures for all the teams involved in Steps 1 through 4 inclusive - although whereas in the previous season I operated a selection pattern favouring successively higher Divisions with more fixtures - I am changing this to pretty much equalise the number of fixtures between all the Divisions in those Steps. There will; of course; be some teams who get a 'mention' once more than the others in a given Division - but this cannot be helped ! Note that 'Knockout Day' matches will not be used in this team-match-counting process, so the more successful teams in these competitions may very well make far more appearances within the game as a whole - c'est-la-vie !

A quick revision now for previous players and as a courtesey to those who have not yet played this game...

The (Loose) Rules.

1]. I will publish fixtures more or less as described above and I will endeavour to ensure that there is at least seven days' grace between my publication of such fixtures and the day/time that the relevant matches are to be played. During the course of a whole season there is likely to be the occasional variance from this intention and if this means that some folks 'accidentally' miss out on emplacing a prediction due to this - I will apologise beforehand, but contend that 'sh*t sometimes happens' ! I promise that I will not willfully cause any player to be put into this situation.
Possible reasons for variance:~ If my pc &/or ISP generate unavoidable connection problems; End-of-season play-offs; short-term postponements; etc.

If you do find that you have missed just an odd couple of predictions throughout the whole season, do not despair ! [Please also see Point #(8). below]The 'Main Table' presented upon the initial page which you see when you log-on into the site is not actually the 'be-all & end-all' of the competition... there is another Table available to view, which is called the 'Statistics Table'; and which I, myself, actually think of as being the more 'genuine' descriptor of comparative prediction skill; and will show positions based upon the average number of points scored per game, rather than the total number of points scored.
As far as any 'official' kudos is concerned, I rate only those players who have completed at least some 70% of all available predictions in this Statistics Table (which may be found by clicking 'statistics' in the left hand menu area) - however, for others who for whatever reason may not have managed to complete this number of predictions, this will provide them with a relatively more useful measure of their predictive ability.

2]. I will issue each fixture chosen, with a short code preceding the first-named (home) team to indicate from which competition the fixture has been taken - these should be quite obvious to all concerned and will use 'proper' League names and not sponsorship names at all. If anyone fails to follow a particular code, just mention in the sites Shoutbox and someone will surely fill you in ! Some play-off fixtures & other knock-out matches are played out on neutral territory and there is consequently no home/away difference. I will usually list teams in such matches alphabetically, however this is not a guarantee !

3]. No correspondence about fixtures chosen will be entertained, beyond the usual suspects:~ where I have inadvertently duplicated a fixture; I have entered a fixture incorrectly or with a clerical error; when a fixture has been postponed/rescheduled and I have not yet registered this; etc. Mention of any of the above occurrences is sincerely appreciated !

4]. I will endeavour to update the site regularly, several times per week and I will occasionally issue 'statements' which will be sent to all folks via their registered email addresses. Updates will naturally be subject to pc &/or ISP generated unavoidable connection problems (as in [1] above).

5]. Each prediction may score either 3, 1 or 0 points - dependent upon accuracy. 3 points is awarded for a completely correct scoreline prediction; 1 point is awarded for a correct prediction of the H/D/A result, without getting the scoreline entirely right and 0 points will be scored in any other circumstance. 3 points gives you a 'Win', 1 point gives a 'Draw' and o points; naturally; gives a 'Loss' in the Table.

6]. Goal Difference is established by looking at the individual score-predictions for each team. You will score goals for by correctly guessing a team's score in any given fixture. Any difference between the number of goals guessed and the actual number of goals scored by a team in any given fixture will go into your goals against column.

7]. Over and above the fact that we will be generating some rather large numbers eventually in the Points, G.F. & G.A. columns, League placings will be determined by those factors which one normally takes into account for such purposes in real-life Leagues... Most Points, then highest Goal difference; then most Goals for. I think (but cannot guarantee) - the next dioscriminators would probably be Most Wins, Least Games played and lastly Alphabetic order.

8]. Any player presented with a problem such as failure to be able to log in, failure to get the program to run properly on the pc &/or similar preventing one from fairly continuing to compete - will be allowed to email myself at my home email ([email protected]) and if they include a listing of their preferred selections in that email and it reaches my Inbox prior to the actual starting time of the matches concerned... I will be pleased to allow these selections to the game. I am able to enter them 'after the fact' as needs be. In all such cases, proof of posting will not be considered to be proof of delivery and I will not enter into discussion about any failure of delivery which might disallow one's entries !
Please note that this service is meant to be 'occasional' and to be used only in case of distress. I shall reserve the right to ignore habitual users of this service, should I come to believe that they are taking the P*SS ! Obviously, genuine folks need not be overly concerned with this, if you inform me of any problems which you might be having with connectivity - I will always attempt to help out as best I can. A little information could go a very long way in this regard !

I think that just about covers things nicely... If you have any further questions &/or think that I have missed anything &/or have failed to explain something adequately, please feel free to query.

Above all, good luck and enjoy !

I APOLOGISE UNRESERVEDLY TO EACH AND EVERY PERSON ON THIS FORUM WHO HAS FELT LET-DOWN BY MY INIMICABLE AND DEPLORABLE BEHAVIOUR OF OCTOBER 28th. 2009. ESPECIALLY TO BRIAN, WHO IS A MARVELLOUS GENTLEMAN AND IS THE LAST PERSON HERE WHO SHOULD HAVE TO PUT UP WITH SUCH UNDESERVED PERSONAL CHARACTER-ASSASSINATION. LET IT BE KNOWN THAT A PRIVATE PERSONAL APOLOGY WAS SENT, BUT WAS SEEN INSUFFICIENT. FAIR ENOUGH.

(This post was edited by vienna1964 on Jul 20, 2007, 9:28 AM)

Football Man
Youth Team Sub

Jul 9, 2007, 8:58 PM

Team(s): Hitchin, Royston, Langford, Stotfold, the Biggleswades

Post #2 of 18 (18989 views)
Shortcut
Re: [vienna1964] 2007-08 PL League [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I'll be giving it another go Vienna - wouldn't leave without giving you a chance to beat me.

Thanks for all your hard work.

Football Man

KnowYourMarket
Man City Transfer Target!

Jul 9, 2007, 11:10 PM

Team(s): WBA, FC Saarbruecken, Brierley Hill Alliance (RIP)

Post #3 of 18 (18982 views)
Shortcut

I'll have a bash this season, so there's 1 new recruit for you.

Last ground visited(update requested by Spud): Wellington . New grounds 18/19: 38

cope1

Jul 10, 2007, 3:21 PM

Post #4 of 18 (18971 views)
Shortcut

Me too!

No 1 keeper
Youth Team Regular

Jul 10, 2007, 9:16 PM

Team(s):

Post #5 of 18 (18960 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cope1] 2007-08 PL League [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

can i play please? Blush

skalpa
Reserve Team Sub

Jul 10, 2007, 10:14 PM

Team(s):

Post #6 of 18 (18955 views)
Shortcut
Re: [No 1 keeper] 2007-08 PL League [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The bad thing in being top after Week 1 is you cannot progress - which, IIRC, happened to me last year...
Anyway, I am looking forward for the next season

vienna1964
Deleted

Jul 14, 2007, 12:38 PM

Team(s):

Post #7 of 18 (18911 views)
Shortcut
Re: [No 1 keeper] 2007-08 PL League [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To
can i play please? Blush

Allcomers may play, of course... just go to the site and register your preferred user name in the normal fashion.

Note that there will be no listing of players shown on the main page until the first set of prediction fixtures has been evaluated and an initial League Table is created.

I APOLOGISE UNRESERVEDLY TO EACH AND EVERY PERSON ON THIS FORUM WHO HAS FELT LET-DOWN BY MY INIMICABLE AND DEPLORABLE BEHAVIOUR OF OCTOBER 28th. 2009. ESPECIALLY TO BRIAN, WHO IS A MARVELLOUS GENTLEMAN AND IS THE LAST PERSON HERE WHO SHOULD HAVE TO PUT UP WITH SUCH UNDESERVED PERSONAL CHARACTER-ASSASSINATION. LET IT BE KNOWN THAT A PRIVATE PERSONAL APOLOGY WAS SENT, BUT WAS SEEN INSUFFICIENT. FAIR ENOUGH.

vienna1964
Deleted

Jul 14, 2007, 12:41 PM

Team(s):

Post #8 of 18 (18910 views)
Shortcut
Re: [vienna1964] 2007-08 PL League [In reply to] Can't Post or

Please be sure to do your best to 'tempt' friends, relatives, business colleagues and maybe even match-attending acquaintances of our jolly little game - it would be great if we could return to the 'glory days' of our initial season, when there were close on 100 regular competitors ! (last season saw only 38 folks completing 60% of possible fixtuires - which was a disappointment).

East Fork Utd
Reserve Team Regular

Jul 14, 2007, 2:03 PM

Post #9 of 18 (18889 views)
Shortcut

I'll be back this year! I appreciate the work you do to update everything on a regular basis. Hopefully, I won't have a "sophomore slump"!

vienna1964
Deleted

Jul 19, 2007, 11:02 PM

Team(s):

Post #10 of 18 (18819 views)
Shortcut

I have (I think/hope) now finished outlining the rules and regulations for the 2007-08 PL Game.

vienna1964
Deleted

Jul 20, 2007, 9:36 AM

Team(s):

Post #11 of 18 (18809 views)
Shortcut

This season, I shall once again attempt to be mindful of the particular teams which members of the Forum are most interested in - although I shall not be able to particularly favour these in general fixture-production. At times when I am looking out for 'filler' fixtures there may be opportunities for me to 'guest' these teams occasionally ! We'll see.

Veteran

Jul 20, 2007, 10:54 PM

Post #12 of 18 (18787 views)
Shortcut

Just registered. Why are we apparently starting at Week 2 ?

No 1 keeper
Youth Team Regular

Jul 21, 2007, 11:23 PM

Team(s):

Post #13 of 18 (18768 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
I have (I think/hope) now finished outlining the rules and regulations for the 2007-08 PL Game.

vienna, i will be on hols 17/8 - 31/8
what will i be able to do regarding predictions?

well done for all your time and effort on this league

vienna1964
Deleted

Jul 22, 2007, 11:06 AM

Team(s):

Post #14 of 18 (18763 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Veteran] 2007-08 PL League [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To
Just registered. Why are we apparently starting at Week 2 ?

>Sigh !<

Coz' I ain't got to put in week 1's fixtures in yet ! lol !

Note that I have started off inputting the Cup/Trophy/Vase/Setanta fixtures only so far... and none of these fall in week 1 of the season (August 11th. to August 17th.).

I will attend 'regular' League fixtures anon.

vienna1964
Deleted

Jul 22, 2007, 11:11 AM

Team(s):

Post #15 of 18 (18762 views)
Shortcut
Re: [No 1 keeper] 2007-08 PL League [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To

In Reply To

vienna, i will be on hols 17/8 - 31/8
what will i be able to do regarding predictions?

well done for all your time and effort on this league

All of the fixtures falling within the time-band you mention should be posted to the site within the next week.

You'll have to input your predictions for these quite well before you leave for your hols.

Failing doing this, there is a facility inbuilt to the game which will select a default scoreline for any matches which you fail to predict... just so long as you actually input a chosen scoreline when you set up your preferences.

'2-1' is still by far the most common result to occur in football, so you could do a lot worse than set this up as a default value.

Note that in the game two seasons past, one of the 'competitors' (and in this case, I use that term very loosely !) set all of his predictions to 2-1 (H/A) &/or 1-1 for some matches and he finished well up in the top-10 in that competition !

I am not recommending this as a tactic, however as I feel that it drains all the fun out of the game for the person so concerned using this tactic.

Please remember also - IN EXTREMIS ONLY - you may email me with your selections if you have difficulties in actually logging on to the game - but these selections MUST reach my inbox timed prior to the start time of the matches concerned to count !

(This post was edited by vienna1964 on Jul 22, 2007, 11:15 AM)

robhornby
First Team Star

Jul 22, 2007, 1:38 PM

Team(s): Non League Football

Post #16 of 18 (18755 views)
Shortcut

Hi

I have registered and will have a go..though will be away for 2 weeks in sept/oct

To visit my charity blog..please click on https://aroundthegrounds2019-20.blogspot.com/

vienna1964
Deleted

Jul 23, 2007, 2:33 PM

Team(s):

Post #17 of 18 (18726 views)
Shortcut
Re: [robhornby] 2007-08 PL League [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To
Hi

I have registered and will have a go..though will be away for 2 weeks in sept/oct

No worries... just post yer predictions a fortnight early !

Jon M
Reserve Team Regular

Aug 7, 2007, 2:41 PM

Post #18 of 18 (18583 views)
Shortcut

Just registered, so will post first set of results before hte week is out...

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3