Generation Gap

Ancient Wolf
Reserve Team Regular

Nov 8, 2011, 2:22 AM

Team(s): Middlesbrough and Norton and Stockton Ancients

Post #1 of 5 (4182 views)
Shortcut
Generation Gap Can't Post or Reply Privately

A while ago I heard Dave Spikey recount that the first Bolton game he saw Nat Lofthouse and Francis Lee were the strike partnership.

Has anyone got examples of players from what we think of as different eras up front together?

I saw Wolves beat Boro 1-0 in 97/8 when Steve Bull (mid 30's ) set up the winning goal for Robbie Keane then 17 years old.

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 8, 2011, 5:50 PM

Team(s): Pompey

Post #2 of 5 (4122 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ancient Wolf] Generation Gap [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In February 1991, at Portsmouth v Spurs, I saw a young Paul Gascoigne run rings around the immobile lump of Graeme Hogg.

At my first ever match in 1977, Ian St.John was Pompey manager before going on to host early-eighties cutting edge TV with 'Saint & Greavsie', while one of his young Portsmouth players was Chris Kamara who now takes Murdoch's shilling with his role in SKY's world football domination. Now THAT is a generation gap!

Isaac
Man City Transfer Target!

Nov 8, 2011, 8:05 PM

Team(s): ABMU

Post #3 of 5 (4103 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oxpete] Generation Gap [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

As a kid back in October 1978 I saw a struggling Chelsea side trailing 0-3 at home to Bolton Wanderers with about 15mins remaining and staring a fifth succesive home defeat in the face, a youngster with long blond hair came on as sub and ran the Bolton defence (including one Sam Allardyce) ragged and Chelsea ended up winning 4-3.

The youngster was Clive Walker and some quarter of a century later I saw the same Clive Walker, by that time going bald, playing for Molesey and he still had a turn of speed.

acmold
Man City Transfer Target!

Nov 9, 2011, 11:49 AM

Post #4 of 5 (4063 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Isaac] Generation Gap [In reply to] Can't Post or

One urdan myth is that Ron Atkinson marked Trevor Francis in the latters league debut.

I remember seeing Oxford United lose at Plymouth in the FAC in 1980, Mark Wright made his first appearance and Ray Graydon made his last.

Ancient Wolf
Reserve Team Regular

Feb 12, 2012, 5:07 PM

Team(s): Middlesbrough and Norton and Stockton Ancients

Post #5 of 5 (3063 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] Generation Gap [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I remember reading a while back that one of Stanley Matthews last games for Stoke at the age of 50 in 1965 was one of Rodney Marsh's first for Fulham.

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3