Saturday 5th November 2011

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

boyspen
Reserve Team Regular

Nov 7, 2011, 10:57 PM

Team(s):

Post #126 of 135 (9499 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mip] Saturday 5th November 2011 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Got up at 9am to find it absolutely lashing it down, so was surprised at being able to revert to Plan A, which was the already mentioned by others, double-header at Steeton & Silsden. Normally, if it's raining here, it'll be double-raining in the Aire Valley, but for a change we seemed to catch the worst of it and pitches up on t'hills were all perfectly playable.
With Steeton being non-floodlit and also issuing programmes, then it's a good magnet for double leaps over the winter months.
Thankfully I kept my Southport scarf in my Sainsbury's carrier bag, else there could've been some confusion as to who was who, with possibly around 10% of the crowd at Silsden 'Kempsterites' (I realise that comes out at 12.1 people....I'm the 0.1).
More stuff > link in sig.>

Flickr photos:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/thedribblingcode/albums
Blog (match/ground reviews) at:
http://thedribblingcode.wordpress.com
@dribblingcode on Twitter

Garrincha's dog
First Team Star

Nov 8, 2011, 12:44 PM

Post #127 of 135 (9375 views)
Shortcut
Re: [London Harrier] Saturday 5th November 2011 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
Ryman League Division One North

Tilbury 3 Waltham Forest 3
Att: 65

Forgive my ignorance here, but have Tilbury got a new ground? The last time we went there was a huge net behind one goal and the 'toilet' consisted of peeing against a brick wall behind a hedge. Maybe it looks better in the daylight.

http://www.pyramidpassion.co.uk/html/tilbury.html

I am sure a new Tilbury stadium was mooted a few years back - maybe I am reading the above and drawing wildly inaccurate conclusions!

Yes, you are right it is a new ground. Fortunately they have built it in an old fashioned style so that it has character rather than somewhere soulless (in the same Division), such as AFC Sudbury.

I take your point about the huge fences behind each goal, the 65 of us rattling round in a ground that could hold about 4,000 were certainly struggling for a view.

oftenscore6
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 8, 2011, 1:14 PM

Team(s): FCUM, MUFC, Hammarby, St Pauli, Hawthorn (AFL)

Post #128 of 135 (9353 views)
Shortcut
Re: [boyspen] Saturday 5th November 2011 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

FA Trophy 2Q
Durham City 1-1 FC United of Manchester
Admission: 7
Attendance: 533

Revisit to Durham for me this time, splitting my rail tickets at York to make it cheaper - and the opportunity to stop off in York too, on the way back. Had an enjoyable chat on the train with a group of Evertonians en route to St James Park, with some of the dodgiest 18-25 railcards I've ever seen.

Two new pubs for me in Durham, the GBG Head of Steam just over the road from the bus station (3 handpumps, 2 of which were porters and the other a blonde..) and a Lloyds No 1 in the Millenium Square complex, which actually had both better beer choice and quality than the GBG spoons, the Water House. I walked up to the ground, pleasantly up Claypath, with a pit-stop at The Woodman and then rather less pleasantly beside the dual carriageway (best walking is on the urban side).

The ground is unchanged from my previous visit 2 seasons ago, with a large elevated Main Stand, with terracing in front and flat standing around the other sides. The pitch is 3G. A good mince & onion pie was available from the teabar immediately on the left as you enter the ground. The clubhouse is on the outside of the Main Stand, and several people making an early exit for half-time missed FC United take the lead on 44, some of whom also missed Durham's equaliser in the 1st minute of the 2nd half. Both sides went for it and 1-1 was a fair result. Good referee.

Post-game revisit to the classic GBG Victoria - we were fortunate to be guests of people staying there, as it is not open to public until 6pm. Great interior, and cracking beer to boot. Stops in York at the Three-Legged Mare (York Brewery) and the Maltings. A good day out.

-----------------------------------------------
Last new football ground (928) Hems Way Welwyn Garden City 0-1 Maccabi GB
With FC United: 134
On the agenda:
20/7 FC United v Bangor 1876

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Nov 8, 2011, 1:35 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #129 of 135 (9342 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Garrincha's dog] Saturday 5th November 2011 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To
Ryman League Division One North

Tilbury 3 Waltham Forest 3
Att: 65

Yes, you are right it is a new ground. Fortunately they have built it in an old fashioned style so that it has character rather than somewhere soulless (in the same Division), such as AFC Sudbury.

Well, it was new in 1946. Sounds like it's had a facelift since my visit there in 1994 when there was no mention of me at all in the programme

barcud-coch
First Team Star

Nov 8, 2011, 2:47 PM

Post #130 of 135 (9323 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Saturday 5th November 2011 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Llanidloes Town 0 GAP Connah's Quay 2

Victoria Avenue: Welsh Cup Second Round

The draw for the second round of Wales' premier cup competition provided me with the opportunity to visit one of my favourite grounds in mid Wales. Victoria Avenue is very much in the mould of a traditional football ground, with an old-fashioned seated stand on one side of the pitch, which includes dug-outs for both teams, with the clubhouse and refreshment hatch incorporated into the same structure. Another smaller stand is located on the opposite side of the pitch to the primary construction. There are railings around the perimeter of the pitch and a tall mesh wire fence enclosing the whole ground. There is a children's play area behind the one goal, oustide of the fence, a small park area behind the small stand and houses over-looking the ground from behind the opposite goal. This appeared to be an interesting tie, that pitted the home team, challenging for promotion to the Cymru Alliance, against the defending Alliance champions, who controversially missed out on promotion to the Welsh Premier, and reached the semi-final of the Welsh Cup last term before bowing out to holders Bangor City. The hosts entered the match in fourth place in the Spar Mid Wales League First Division, with six wins from their opening nine league fixtures, and required penalties to knock Rhosgoch Rangers out of the League Cup in their last outing. The Nomads, meanwhile, found themselves third in the Cymru Alliance table having thumped Ruthin Town 6-0 in their previous game.

The Daffs made a positive start to this game and nearly took the lead after only seven minutes. A Llanidloes Town player hit a stunning volley against the angle of post and crossbar following a cross from the left. If that effort had gone in then it probably would have been a better goal than the one scored by Andy Johnson, in Fulham's Europa League win on Thursday night, given the standard of football this took place. Despite the early scare, the Nomads settled into their surrounding and nearly took the lead when Aaron Warwick, the Llanidloes Town goalkeeper, nearly dropped a long free-kick over his head and into the back of the net. But fortunately for him, and the rest of his team, he managed to turn around quickly enough to prevent the ball from crossing the line. But the Daffs' goalkeeper was not so luckly, after 14 minutes, when a low cross from the right was poked past him and into the net by one of his defenders. Llanidloes Town nearly equalised seven minutes later when a close range effort was cleared-off the line following a corner kick. The hosts spurned another good opportunity, 10 minutes later, when one of their players volleyed over the crossbar from a corner. The Nomads had a good opoortunity to double their lead, on the stroke of half-time, but one of their players headed over from a free kick.

The start of the second-half was relatively even, as Llanidloes Town pushed forward for an equaliser, but Nomads looked quite comfortable at the back with their greater experience. The visitors from Deeside had a good chance to score a second but a teasing cross from the right flashed across goal and missed everybody in the penalty area. A Nomads player fired over from close range, after 79 minutes, following the Daffs' goalkeeper making a good save with his feet from a header. The Deesiders had a goal ruled out for offsifde four minutes later but they eventually found that killer goal, three minutes from the end, when a long ball was played out of defence and a Nomads player looped a header over the advancing Aaron Warwick. It was too late for the Spar Mid Wales League to force extra-time and GAP Connah's Quay were able to relax and look forward to the draw for the next round. The Nomads will face league rivals Cefn Druids, another former Welsh Premier club, at home in early December and this gives them a good opportunity to make further progress. Llanidloes Town can take a lot out of their performance, against higher-graded opponents, as they look to kick-start their promotion drive to the Cymru Alliance.

2011/12 Statistics
Goals: 213
Matches: 51
New Grounds: 8

Chris1963
Man City Transfer Target!

Nov 9, 2011, 5:58 PM

Team(s): Oxford United / Groundhopper

Post #131 of 135 (9146 views)
Shortcut
Re: [barcud-coch] Saturday 5th November 2011 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Leicestershire Senior League Beacon Bitter league Cup, 2nd round, 1.30pm

Lutterworth Town 2 Earl Shilton Albion 0 (H/T 1-0)

Entry - free

Programme - none (see below)

Crowd - approx 15

I would not normally visit the same town twice within a calendar year, but having been to Lutterworth Athletic in March (due to it being their last season at Dunley Way) and with Town only using the Coventry Road Recreation Ground for this season I had little choice really. I decided to go to this cup-tie as cup-ties are always slightly less likely to be postponed than league games, not that the weather was a problem. Despite there having been a bit of rain on Thursday and Friday (the TV pictures of a waterlogged Rodney Parade put me off from doing a Welsh Cup tie) the Coventry Road pitch seems to drain well. Also, a 1.30 pm kick-off is always too good to miss.

From memory there have been 2 or 3 WDYG posts about this ground already this season, the first one (or two?) said a programme had been issued and the second / third one said there wasn't, so I wasn't too surprised that this match was a non-issue. It wasn't all that disppointing anyway, in view of the fact that Town had issued when I saw them at Hall Lane in 1994 (thanks to Bill Berry for flagging it up in his Traveller mag at the time.)

The match was OK, ground has no cover for spectators but has a fairly modern pavlion in one corner. Access is via a small road (which does not seem to have a name) off Coventry Road, but pedestrians can also gain access from Waterworks Lane. Refreshmest (basically just tea) was sold from a table in front of the pavilion.

Three grounds now done in Lutterworth (programmes at two of them, one for each club) I wonder if I will ever return here again?

Lucan Bohs
Youth Team Regular

Nov 9, 2011, 6:50 PM

Team(s): Bohemians, Celtic, Liverpool

Post #132 of 135 (9131 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Chatham Docker] Saturday 5th November 2011 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Olhanense 0-0 Porto
Liga Zon Sagres
Admission-25
Programme- 1:50
Attendance- 3125

I bought a ticket for the game on the day after being assured by a member of the English Supporters Group. I purchased one for 25 which got me a seat at the end of the main stand. Other prices were 12.50, 17.50 and 30.

The game was not a sellout but was close enough. Around 400 Porto fans had made the long trip.

The Estadio Jose Arcanjo is 3 sided. I was sat in the main stand which holds around 2500 which includes the VIP seats. Behind the goal is a curved away end which seats 800 and across the other side is a temporary looking stand which holds about 1200

I bought a programme from the "Pasterllia Reis" bar which is across from the ticket office. This is where the English supporters group meet before games. The programme was in colour and 12 pages.

The game was decent. Porto had a penalty saved in the 3rd minute. Despite having the better players they created very little.

We are Bohs!

The Bohs forum- www.thebohs.com/forum

(This post was edited by Lucan Bohs on Nov 9, 2011, 7:32 PM)

Lucan Bohs
Youth Team Regular

Nov 9, 2011, 8:34 PM

Team(s): Bohemians, Celtic, Liverpool

Post #133 of 135 (9096 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Lucan Bohs] Saturday 5th November 2011 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Just to add- if anybody would like an email address for the English Supporters Group at Olhanense please PM me

We are Bohs!

The Bohs forum- www.thebohs.com/forum

(This post was edited by Lucan Bohs on Nov 9, 2011, 8:37 PM)

rambler77
First Team Star

Nov 10, 2011, 6:43 AM

Team(s): Oadby Town, Leicester City

Post #134 of 135 (9053 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Chris1963] Saturday 5th November 2011 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Leicestershire Senior League Beacon Bitter league Cup, 2nd round, 1.30pm

Lutterworth Town 2 Earl Shilton Albion 0 (H/T 1-0)

Entry - free

Programme - none (see below)

Crowd - approx 15

I would not normally visit the same town twice within a calendar year, but having been to Lutterworth Athletic in March (due to it being their last season at Dunley Way) and with Town only using the Coventry Road Recreation Ground for this season I had little choice really. I decided to go to this cup-tie as cup-ties are always slightly less likely to be postponed than league games, not that the weather was a problem. Despite there having been a bit of rain on Thursday and Friday (the TV pictures of a waterlogged Rodney Parade put me off from doing a Welsh Cup tie) the Coventry Road pitch seems to drain well. Also, a 1.30 pm kick-off is always too good to miss.

From memory there have been 2 or 3 WDYG posts about this ground already this season, the first one (or two?) said a programme had been issued and the second / third one said there wasn't, so I wasn't too surprised that this match was a non-issue. It wasn't all that disppointing anyway, in view of the fact that Town had issued when I saw them at Hall Lane in 1994 (thanks to Bill Berry for flagging it up in his Traveller mag at the time.)

The match was OK, ground has no cover for spectators but has a fairly modern pavlion in one corner. Access is via a small road (which does not seem to have a name) off Coventry Road, but pedestrians can also gain access from Waterworks Lane. Refreshmest (basically just tea) was sold from a table in front of the pavilion.

Three grounds now done in Lutterworth (programmes at two of them, one for each club) I wonder if I will ever return here again?

Pedantic moment - Hall Lane is classed as Bitteswell not Lutterworth though "in the countryside" would be more apt.

http://rambler77.zenfolio.com/

DavetheGlassboy
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 10, 2011, 8:19 PM

Team(s): Stourbridge FC, Warrington RLFC, Stourport HC

Post #135 of 135 (8974 views)
Shortcut
Re: [KnowYourMarket] Saturday 5th November 2011 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I didn't go to a suburb in Buenos Aires between Castelar and Huedo but went to:-

1.FC Koeln U21 0-0 Fortuna Koeln

Regionalliga West

Admission 10 (5 standing available), no stickleback available but plenty of teamsheets, att: 1600

Bayer 04 Leverkusen 2-2 Hamburger SV

Admission 26, A4 stickleback available for free inside the ground, att: 30210

Sunday

SpVgg Strass 9-3 SV Gencler. Baesweiler

Kreisliga Aachen C, Group 4, admission 2, no stickleback, att: 23(hc)

Union Saint-Gilloise 2-0 Olympia Wijgmaal

Belgian 3rd Div, admission 12 to sit, stickleback 1, att: 1100 est.

Are small fish a staple at German grounds?

Last new ground (837): Moat House Leisure Centre - Polonia Coventry v Stockton 20/7/19
Last game: as above
Football seen in: England, Wales, Scotland, Italy, France, Germany, Denmark, Netherlands, Spain, Austria, Croatia, Jersey, Sweden, Switzerland, Republic of Ireland, United States of America, Ukraine, Montenegro, Estonia, San Marino, Slovenia, Northern Ireland, Malta, Lithuania, Russia, Belgium, Portugal

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3