Home: Non Football Related: General Chat:
Banks Must Be Bored

splodge
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 3, 2011, 7:32 AM

Post #1 of 25 (3944 views)
Shortcut
Banks Must Be Bored Can't Post or Reply Privately

With a large family of brothers, sisters, nieces and nephews have already had to start my Xmas shopping and last Friday bought gifts in High St stores I don't normally set foot in and paid for the gifts with my debit card.

Tuesday I went to check my bank account to see a direct debit had gone out only to find that with no prior contact with myself the bank had suspended my accountMad

A few phone calls later (Bloody call centres MadMadMad) it transpired that they deemed me buying stuff in a nationwide toy store chain suspicious enough to suspend my account.

Now I appreciate they were looking after my interests in suspending the account but 1 quick phone call could have surely saved alot of hassle for me and if they are going to do that every time someone buys something in a shop they don't normally set foot in they are either
A. Bored Stiff
B. Looking for some overtime clearing the backlog.

www.twitter.com/splodgey
www.facebook.com/paulsplodgeproctor

DonQuixote
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 3, 2011, 9:17 AM

Team(s): Romford, Everton, @BrentwoodSunLge

Post #2 of 25 (3936 views)
Shortcut
Re: [splodge] Banks Must Be Bored [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Strangely enough, I had to make a large withdrawal from one of my accounts last August.
This entailed going to my main branch, armed with every evidence known to man that
I was me, then was told to get a print out from the cash point - for further security.
With the world full of technical fvckers who will resort to almost anything to get their
hands on your readies, I can kinda understand that, but what I wasn't prepared for was
my card being blocked after having withdrawn said amount.
According to the bank in question, it was up to me to ring a special number, then answer
four security questions to get it unblocked.
Now that did piss me off big time. Why should I have to ring them, FFS?
And don't get me started on gas and electricity companies who want you to read your own meter...

FA Vase semi programme wanted: 2001 Taunton v Clitheroe.

acmold
Man City Transfer Target!

Nov 3, 2011, 10:28 AM

Post #3 of 25 (3927 views)
Shortcut
Re: [splodge] Banks Must Be Bored [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To
A few phone calls later (Bloody call centres MadMadMad) it transpired that they deemed me buying stuff in a nationwide toy store chain suspicious enough to suspend my account.

My account was put on hold after I paid a Gas Bill online, I always do it that way, paperless bills, early payment, etc saves a few bob. I had to phone them up, they had done it as the payment had been put through by the Gas Board saying I had purchased a Gas appliance in Dunstable.

UKPunk

Nov 3, 2011, 11:20 AM

Post #4 of 25 (3917 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] Banks Must Be Bored [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I don't know what banks are involved here, and I don't want to 'big up' my bank too much (let's face it, they've all helped to dump us it the current brown stuff to one extent or another) but a few years ago when I made some large purchases my bank HSBC gave me a ring to ask if everything was legit'. I assumed that was standard practice but from what's been posted so far, apparently not. Unsure

1-0-1-0-4-25-40-65-181-289=606

Last game: Mon 20/8/18
4. Basford United 1 Hednesford Town 2

DonQuixote
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 3, 2011, 11:22 AM

Post #5 of 25 (3915 views)
Shortcut
Re: [UKPunk] Banks Must Be Bored [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I heard that Mishi got a text from his bank the other week after he had bought a round.
Figures, I suppose.

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Nov 3, 2011, 1:09 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #6 of 25 (3906 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DonQuixote] Banks Must Be Bored [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Well I need to find a secure bank soon as I've just been cut into a $12 million windfall discovered by a poor widowed and orphaned girl in Abidjan. For a small admin fee I can earn millions so cheerio everyone.

dottirofhod

Nov 3, 2011, 1:52 PM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #7 of 25 (3891 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Banks Must Be Bored [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Well I need to find a secure bank soon as I've just been cut into a $12 million windfall discovered by a poor widowed and orphaned girl in Abidjan. For a small admin fee I can earn millions so cheerio everyone.

Bye.
Old 'Runners' will be pleased.

PS. Re the trouser situation , the haemerroids still giving jip ?

July 1, 2019 to June 30,2020 = 67 / 57 / 10 / inc 2 x 0-0's. (You know my rules) @ 16 / 09 / 2019.
2019/20. Benelux = Bel = 0-0-0-(0-0-0)-(0-2-1-1)/ Lux = 0-2 / Neth = 0-0-0-(1 - 2) Others France = 0-0 / Germany =0-0-0 / Italy =0-3(Act 4- Frosinone new ground)./ Iberia = P = 0-1 & S = 0-0.

Now blogging at https://eccentricity.video.blog/

(This post was edited by dottirofhod on Nov 3, 2011, 1:55 PM)

cope1

Nov 3, 2011, 5:12 PM

Post #8 of 25 (3866 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
I don't know what banks are involved here, and I don't want to 'big up' my bank too much (let's face it, they've all helped to dump us it the current brown stuff to one extent or another) but a few years ago when I made some large purchases my bank HSBC gave me a ring to ask if everything was legit'. I assumed that was standard practice but from what's been posted so far, apparently not. Unsure

I'm with First Direct which is a division of HSBC and this what I've had. I did once get my card stopped in Italy but it was because my friend found she couldn't use her card overseas so I, having just got out enough cash to pay for my share of the hotel bill, I went to a second machine down the road to take out the same again (about 150) so it wasn't surprising. However, they unlocked it as soon as I rang them up and I was able to get the cash out before I'd even put the phone down.

acmold

Nov 4, 2011, 10:53 AM

Post #9 of 25 (3813 views)
Shortcut
Re: [UKPunk] Banks Must Be Bored [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To

My bank starting in Liverpool but is now in Spain. It was also for a time named after a former Building Society which was partly in the East Midlands.

buncranaboy

Nov 4, 2011, 1:19 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #10 of 25 (3791 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dottirofhod] Banks Must Be Bored [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Bye.
Old 'Runners' will be pleased.

PS. Re the trouser situation , the haemerroids still giving jip ?

I'm back because, despite transmitting $10,000 to enable her to get her plane ticket, she never showed as promised. Still, just a small hiccup I'm sure while I wait for the millions to hit my account. The only piles I'll be seeing will be piles of cash. Whoooooa-ha-haaaaaa.

Ropemaker

Nov 4, 2011, 5:15 PM

Team(s): Hailsham Town

Post #11 of 25 (3770 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Banks Must Be Bored [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Someone I work with had her Gold Card stopped after she made a "suspicious", un-Gold Card like purchase.

She used it in Lidl!

Just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

VP

Nov 4, 2011, 8:20 PM

Post #12 of 25 (3755 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ropemaker] Banks Must Be Bored [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I've just had the opposite with Barclaycard. I phoned them to cancel one of the two cards I've got with them. I've not used it for two years but they didn't half try hard to get me to keep it. I was driven to swearing at the rep. I was speaking to when, for the third time, she asked me to reconsider as they classed me as a 'good' customer.
I hope they recorded my call and use it to train staff how not to piss off your so-called good customers. I'm gonna shut down my other card with them shortly as well cos of the way I was spoken at.

UKPunk

Nov 5, 2011, 12:37 AM

Post #13 of 25 (3734 views)
Shortcut
Re: [VP] Banks Must Be Bored [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Many years ago just after I'd left school I had an account with Barclays. I had so much hassle trying to get my own money out that I closed the account within a month. I moved to HSBC and I've been with them ever since.

1-0-1-0-4-25-40-65-181-289=606

Last game: Mon 20/8/18
4. Basford United 1 Hednesford Town 2

DonQuixote
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 5, 2011, 9:03 AM

Post #14 of 25 (3717 views)
Shortcut

Why does it still take five days to clear a cheque with Barclays....probably was the same or less in 1961.

acmold

Nov 5, 2011, 9:56 AM

Post #15 of 25 (3715 views)
Shortcut
Re: [VP] Banks Must Be Bored [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To
I've just had the opposite with Barclaycard. I phoned them to cancel one of the two cards I've got with them. I've not used it for two years but they didn't half try hard to get me to keep it. I was driven to swearing at the rep. I was speaking to when, for the third time, she asked me to reconsider as they classed me as a 'good' customer.
I hope they recorded my call and use it to train staff how not to piss off your so-called good customers. I'm gonna shut down my other card with them shortly as well cos of the way I was spoken at.

I had a Barclaycard, tried to cancel it took ages, then they sent me a new one. Cancelled that. About three or four years later got a snotty letter saying it was silly having a Barclaycard and not using it, it could get stolen, etc, etc. Had a follow up phone call telling me the same thing, the caller was a very rude person. Told them they did not know what they were talking about as it had been cancelled years before, they said they had not record of it, by chance I found their letter confirming it had been cancelled. Snotty person said they had no record, I must be lying she said and put the phone down !.

Also Barclays I had shares with them and above said card, they said why had I not got an account with them as I was entitled to one as a share and card holder. Just take the letter into the local branch and one would be set up no questions asked. By chance where I worked used Barclays and I went to a branch twice a week. I took the letter in, it was not that straight forward they said I would have to have an interview with an advisor. Had said interview and advisor said i could not just have an account despite what the letter said they would have to make credit checks, which would take time. Checks made they said they did not want to give me an account, I spoke to the supervisor who I knew and she said it was because my credit check was so clean they would not make any money out of me, I was no risk what so ever and no risk customers are not what they want ! ?.

cope1

Nov 5, 2011, 10:54 AM

Post #16 of 25 (3713 views)
Shortcut

When I lived with a couple of friends after moving out of my parents' when I was 18 we had to set up various standing orders to each other to pay all the bills. I just rang up First Direct and told them how much, to whom and on what date and it was done in 5 mins. My friends were both with Barclays and they had to make an appointment at their home branch to speak to an advisor and apply to set up a standing order. I couldn't believe it!

VP

Nov 5, 2011, 1:37 PM

Post #17 of 25 (3700 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
I had a Barclaycard, tried to cancel it took ages, then they sent me a new one. Cancelled that. About three or four years later got a snotty letter saying it was silly having a Barclaycard and not using it, it could get stolen, etc, etc. Had a follow up phone call telling me the same thing, the caller was a very rude person. Told them they did not know what they were talking about as it had been cancelled years before, they said they had not record of it, by chance I found their letter confirming it had been cancelled. Snotty person said they had no record, I must be lying she said and put the phone down !.

Got my cancellation letter through today. I'll keep hold of it based on what you've said.
They also sent me a letter re. the other card I have with them - they've reduced my interest rate by 4%. Good news but too late. I've got a new card through my bank and I've transferred a lump of my balance onto that.
I've been banking with Abbey National / Abbey / Santander since I was a kid and never had any problems with them, well apart from the other week when they wouldn't give me enough credit on my new card to transfer my entire Barclaycard balance. Never mind. I'll get there in the end.

AndyE
First Team Star

Nov 5, 2011, 11:09 PM

Team(s): Chatham Town

Post #18 of 25 (3671 views)
Shortcut
Re: [VP] Banks Must Be Bored [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Going to your chosen team's away games can also lead to this happening. I had my card refused at an ATM in Sudbury last Saturday, and was told on the telephone that it is considered suspicious when a cardholder ventures so far from home. So there you are - apparently you need your bank's permission to undertake a 70 mile journey on a Saturday.

paulh66

Nov 6, 2011, 12:06 AM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #19 of 25 (3661 views)
Shortcut
Re: [AndyE] Banks Must Be Bored [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Going to your chosen team's away games can also lead to this happening. I had my card refused at an ATM in Sudbury last Saturday, and was told on the telephone that it is considered suspicious when a cardholder ventures so far from home. So there you are - apparently you need your bank's permission to undertake a 70 mile journey on a Saturday.

You must admit it is a little unusual for a fan of a Ryman League club to be over 70 miles from home on a Saturday afternoon... Wink

Mishi

Nov 6, 2011, 9:30 AM

Team(s): Dulwich Hamlet

Post #20 of 25 (3644 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] Banks Must Be Bored [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Not when there's a new ground for him to tick! Bet he's not been to Sudbury before! ;-)

And remind me..how are all the non-league hordes enjoying their travels in that 'hotbed' of non-league football that is Liverpool?

Grounds visited: 744
Last new ground:Sutton Athleticl FC; London Hire Stadium, Hextable, Kent. (Southern Counties East Football League First Division)
Last game: Wednesday 11th September 2019: FC Elmstead 4, Lewisham Borough 1. [Southern Counties East Football League First Division]
Matches watched this season: 37
2017/18-New English grounds: 6; & foreign: 0

AndyE
First Team Star

Nov 6, 2011, 1:49 PM

Team(s): Chatham Town

Post #21 of 25 (3629 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mishi] Banks Must Be Bored [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

You're right there Mishi! I hadn't been to Sudbury - the town let alone its football ground - before, and it was definitely a good tick to collect. (Decent ground too - I think there are still eight in Isthmian 1N that I haven't been to, but I'll be surprised if there's a better ground among them.)

By now I go to very few games that don't involve Chatham Town, so when we're in 1S there aren't many new ticks each season. From that point of view at least, being in 1N is much more fun! Leiston might be a step too far though - they came to us yesterday and it took them four hours to get here. You don't often hear a strong East Anglian accent any more, but some of Leiston's older supporters absolutely have one.

paulh66

Nov 6, 2011, 4:33 PM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #22 of 25 (3611 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mishi] Banks Must Be Bored [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Not when there's a new ground for him to tick! Bet he's not been to Sudbury before! ;-)

And remind me..how are all the non-league hordes enjoying their travels in that 'hotbed' of non-league football that is Liverpool?

Laugh Good come-back, though I was actually having a pop at the relatively small distances Ryman League clubs travel, not the level of support...

Anyway, I partly agree with you about Liverpool not being a hotbed of non-league football. Local step 1-6 clubs have never been particularly well supported in the 30+ years I've been watching footy, but the amateur game - and Sunday league in particular - is still pretty strong. While it's not that much of an exaggeration to say that being born in Liverpool means you're born to be a footy fan, sadly that usually means you're born to be a red or a blue, and the idea of 'supporting' a second club rarely features except for the occasional big game. Beyond that, there is plenty of interest in the game but usually just at a social level - watching in the pub, playing or watching a game on a Sunday morning with your mates etc.

EDIT: BTW, I like Sudbury too, and Chatham (excellent bacon on a French stick when I was there!). And, in a vain attempt to get back on topic, I've always found Barclays bank to be very good but Barclaycard was a whole different matter - for reasons similar to those of other posters on this thread, I ditched them years ago.

(This post was edited by paulh66 on Nov 6, 2011, 4:55 PM)

jimmyjazz
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 6, 2011, 4:53 PM

Team(s):

Post #23 of 25 (3606 views)
Shortcut
Re: [AndyE] Banks Must Be Bored [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In contrast I've used my cards several times in Europe and despite not informing my building society (Nationwide) I'm abroad so far have never had a problem.

benjiman
Reserve Team Sub

Nov 20, 2011, 8:36 PM

Team(s): Liverpool / Bristol City

Post #24 of 25 (3132 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jimmyjazz] Banks Must Be Bored [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

They did the same to me when I bought something on Amazon. I only found out when I went to buy petrol and my card was declined. I actually work for the bank as wellLaugh.

Last Game

SPFL Premiership

Hamilton Academical 0-0 Partick Thistle

DonQuixote
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 20, 2011, 11:42 PM

Post #25 of 25 (3117 views)
Shortcut
Re: [benjiman] Banks Must Be Bored [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Half a dozen filleted piranhas and two Tapir steaks was it?

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3