The AA!

southend statto
First Team Star

Oct 21, 2011, 4:37 PM

Team(s): most of my local sides

Post #1 of 17 (2532 views)
Shortcut
The AA! Can't Post or Reply Privately

well, there's no way I'd join the AA. The arrogance they have saying "the 4th emergency service."

what total disrespect of our coastguard service; the bravery of staff and the conditions they sometimes have to work through totally disregarded - what a disgrace!

anyone else feel the same way?

jrev61
Man City Transfer Target!

Oct 21, 2011, 6:41 PM

Team(s): None

Post #2 of 17 (2522 views)
Shortcut
Re: [southend statto] The AA! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
well, there's no way I'd join the AA. The arrogance they have saying "the 4th emergency service."

what total disrespect of our coastguard service; the bravery of staff and the conditions they sometimes have to work through totally disregarded - what a disgrace!

They do a good job getting people of the booze though.

jrev61

Whiskey Coates
First Team Sub

Oct 21, 2011, 6:56 PM

Team(s): Bridlington Town, Sheffield Wednesday, Scarborough FC.

Post #3 of 17 (2517 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
well, there's no way I'd join the AA. The arrogance they have saying "the 4th emergency service.''

I don't think they say that now, they tried it a few years ago and got a right bollocking from the coastguard, mountain rescue etc.

EDIT: just checked their website and saw the quote ''To our members we're the 4th emergency service.'' Still arrogant then.

Isaac

Oct 21, 2011, 10:30 PM

Team(s): ABMU

Post #4 of 17 (2498 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Whiskey Coates] The AA! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In fairness many people are never likely to need the coastguard or mountain rescue.

It has never really crossed my mind about the AA being arrogant by claiming to be the 4th emergency service.

Whiskey Coates
First Team Sub

Oct 21, 2011, 11:30 PM

Post #5 of 17 (2484 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Isaac] The AA! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
In fairness many people are never likely to need the coastguard or mountain rescue.

It has never really crossed my mind about the AA being arrogant by claiming to be the 4th emergency service.

At least the Coastguard or the Mountain Rescue won't try and flog me a new car battery at a hugely inflated price.

acmold

Oct 22, 2011, 9:12 AM

Post #6 of 17 (2468 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Whiskey Coates] The AA! [In reply to] Can't Post or

I with Green Flag via my Insurance, gave up on the AA years ago. Someone ran into the back of me and the AA left me at the road side for hours, kept phoning them and they said I had already been collected, they had put the job out to a local garage who went out on another job instead of collecting me. First called them at 9.30pm at night got home a 4am !. A couple of other times I had called them out and they were unable to fix minor problems and kept wanting to take me to a garage where I would have to have paid for a repair, in both cases I knew what was wrong and could have fixed it myself if I had the part..

Isaac

Oct 22, 2011, 9:57 AM

Team(s): ABMU

Post #7 of 17 (2462 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] The AA! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I've had Green Flag cover for quite a while now but (touch wood) I've never had to call them out.

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Oct 22, 2011, 10:40 AM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #8 of 17 (2453 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Isaac] The AA! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I bet Runwell has had to

As I'm going near Essex today, I've put my traffic-proof pants on. You never know.

acmold

Oct 23, 2011, 11:28 AM

Post #9 of 17 (2390 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Isaac] The AA! [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To
I've had Green Flag cover for quite a while now but (touch wood) I've never had to call them out.

I have had to call them out once, 6 or 7 years ago. Someone turned up within half an hour, I had a spare of the part that was required (if I had a trolly jack with me I could have done it) and was on my way within an hour or so of the call.

Mr. T
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 26, 2012, 9:46 PM

Post #10 of 17 (1476 views)
Shortcut

Anyone care to follow this up and comment on the relative merits of the three organisations, whether based on personal experience or (preferably) knowledge of consumer surveys?

I had my AA reminder recently. Twenty-five years continuous membership entitles me to A GOLD CARD! No real benefits and no discount for long service and it's not as though I've used them a lot, probably not a dozen call-outs in all that time. For home start, roadside and relay 191. RAC quote 105, although that includes an 80 online discount; Green Flag quote 115.

Any thoughts, folks?

VP

Jul 26, 2012, 10:07 PM

Post #11 of 17 (1471 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mr. T] The AA! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I was with the AA for years but I'm now with the RAC and won't go back.
I didn't find much difference in the response times for either company but the AA were constantly trying to sell me other products. They used mail, email and phone calls and became a pain in the butt. I didn't like their pricing structure either. When renewal time came they would hike up the price, probably hoping I didn't notice. I'd always contact them and say that the price rise was unjustified, especially if I hadn't called them out in the previous year, and they'd always reduce the price to the amount they were quoting for a new member applying via the internet at the time. That's generally where you'll find their cheapest deal.
In the end I got sick of the constant marketing attempts and I joined the RAC. I'm happy with them as they don't operate in the same way as the AA do. For the first couple of years with the RAC I was still getting phone calls from the AA offering all sorts of deals. Eventually they got the message that I was never going to go back to them and to leave me alone but it was hard work. Their sales people are like Rottweilers and you have to be quite aggressive to get the bastards to leave you alone.

Whiskey Coates
First Team Sub

Jul 26, 2012, 10:39 PM

Post #12 of 17 (1460 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Any thoughts, folks?

I get my car insurance through M&S, which includes free breakdown cover with RAC. Had to call them out a couple of times in the last couple of years (only minor stuff), and both times the RAC were with me within minutes and sorted the problem. Excellent service and that's why I've just renewed my policy with M&S/RAC, even though if I'd shopped aroung I could probably have saved a few quid elsewhere.

yorkieexile
First Team Star

Jul 27, 2012, 9:34 AM

Team(s): Halifax, Groundhopper

Post #13 of 17 (1434 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Whiskey Coates] The AA! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I chose to move to Green Flag about 3 years ago, and have been excellent (and much cheaper) whenever I have needed them. Last time was when I broke my ankle in Devon, and they sorted out the recovery of my car from the hotel car park to Hinckley. Within an hour of ringing them the car was on a transporter,

I thought they would argue that the car had not broken down, but not at all

New car has AA as part of the deal but as soon as that runs out I will certainly go back to Green Flag

acmold

Jul 27, 2012, 9:39 AM

Post #14 of 17 (1432 views)
Shortcut
Re: [yorkieexile] The AA! [In reply to] Can't Post or

Still with Green Flag, now I am a little older and my insurance has started to come down plus the fact my car is in a very low insurance group it does not pay me to go elsewhere. Just looked my insurance is under 300 per year, fully comp, no claims insured plus top Green Flag.

DonQuixote
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 27, 2012, 9:41 AM

Team(s): Romford, Everton, @BrentwoodSunLge

Post #15 of 17 (1430 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] The AA! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

They've never stopped me drinking and I don't drive... Crazy

FA Vase semi programme wanted: 2001 Taunton v Clitheroe.

Mishi

Jul 27, 2012, 10:40 AM

Team(s): Dulwich Hamlet

Post #16 of 17 (1420 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DonQuixote] The AA! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I don't drive, but THAT A.A. certainly helped me! ;-)

Grounds visited: 745
Last new ground:Horsham FC; The Camping World Community Stadium, Horsham, West Sussex. (Isthmian League Premier Division)
Last game: Saturday 21st September 2019: Dulwich Hamlet 6, Bognor Regis Town 1. [ FA Cup 2nd qualifying round]
Matches watched this season: 46
2017/18-New English grounds: 7 & foreign: 0

HantsLondoner
First Team Star

Jul 27, 2012, 10:44 AM

Team(s): Hants/Middx/Sussex Non-League, Brentford, THFC, Eastleigh, SC Freiburg

Post #17 of 17 (1420 views)
Shortcut

I also got an unsolicited AA Gold Card this year, after years of membership, offering me lots of things I didn't want.

I quickly got on the phone and reverted to the package I had last year, however this had gone up in price quite a lot.

I've not used them too much for breakdowns but they've been OK when I have.
In terms of membership, I started with Roadside, after a number of years was upgraded (for free) to Home Start too. Last year I was considering changing/jacking it in so I phoned them and I discovered I can get AA coverage for a single car only, as opposed to any car I happen to be in, which is much cheaper.
After getting unsolicited junk mail at the start I told them (strongly) to put my name on a list to avoid getting sent anything and they've been generally true to their word.

If you're going to/been to a Hampshire Premier League match, I'd really appreciate you filling in a questionnaire - available in the Groundhopping/General section, or just PM me for a copy. Thanks.

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3