DonQuixote
Chelsea Transfer Target

Oct 15, 2011, 8:21 AM

Team(s): Romford, Everton, @BrentwoodSunLge

Post #1 of 33 (4235 views)
Shortcut
The Great Storm of 1987 Can't Post or Reply Privately

...with hurricane force winds.
Anniversary today. 24 fvcking years..jeez where did that go then?

FA Vase semi programme wanted: 2001 Taunton v Clitheroe.

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Oct 15, 2011, 9:59 AM

Team(s): Pompey

Post #2 of 33 (4229 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DonQuixote] The Great Storm of 1987 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I was living in Swansea at the time - with the eye of the hurricane avoiding South Wales, and the weather in Swansea generally being wet and windy anyway, nobody there really noticed how bad it actually was. The rain, however, was much worse than normal and the following week, on 19th October 1987, a Swansea-to-Shrewsbury passenger train crashed off a bridge and into the River Towy, north of Llanelli. The swollen river had weakened the rail bridge which collapsed as the train crossed it, and four people drowned.

Isaac
Man City Transfer Target!

Oct 15, 2011, 12:26 PM

Team(s): ABMU

Post #3 of 33 (4215 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oxpete] The Great Storm of 1987 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I slept right through it, bit of a shock when I opened the curtains next morningShocked!

My daughter was just a few months old at the time so we were used to being woken up by her, the storm was nothing by comaprsion. Anyway she's got kids of her own now and is on the receiving endWink

Mishi

Oct 15, 2011, 6:36 PM

Team(s): Dulwich Hamlet

Post #4 of 33 (4197 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Isaac] The Great Storm of 1987 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The wind smashed the glass balcony partitions on our balcony, on my estate, which then swung loose & shattered the windows in our sitting room. no mobile phones back then, so I had to walk a mile into work, as all the phone lines were down, & go in to tell them I wouldn't be coming in!

I wish I'd had a camera with me back then. Crushed cars under fallen trees, & roads blocked all over Bermondsey.

Grounds visited: 744
Last new ground:Sutton Athleticl FC; London Hire Stadium, Hextable, Kent. (Southern Counties East Football League First Division)
Last game: Wednesday 11th September 2019: FC Elmstead 4, Lewisham Borough 1. [Southern Counties East Football League First Division]
Matches watched this season: 37
2017/18-New English grounds: 6; & foreign: 0

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Oct 15, 2011, 9:31 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #5 of 33 (4181 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mishi] The Great Storm of 1987 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Didn't make Central News or Midlands Today Cool

DonQuixote
Chelsea Transfer Target

Oct 15, 2011, 11:47 PM

Post #6 of 33 (4163 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
The wind smashed the glass balcony partitions on our balcony, on my estate, which then swung loose & shattered the windows in our sitting room. no mobile phones back then, so I had to walk a mile into work, as all the phone lines were down, & go in to tell them I wouldn't be coming in!

I wish I'd had a camera with me back then. Crushed cars under fallen trees, & roads blocked all over Bermondsey.

Just like any given Friday down them there parts then?

Fanatic
First Team Star

Oct 15, 2011, 11:57 PM

Team(s):

Post #7 of 33 (4160 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DonQuixote] The Great Storm of 1987 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

There was an old decrepit barn across the road from my parents' farm. During the high winds, slate tiles were blown off the roof, across the road and were embedded into the wooden walls of the barn on our farm, as well as a nearby telegraph pole - could have done some serious damage if someone had been hit by one.

My main memory is sitting down to breakfast and looking out of the back window as the greenhouse lifted off and blew away. Around half the trees in the garden were blown over, a few are still at a funny angle, and one set of roots from a blown-over tree is still evident.

I'm not sure if it was that night (it was certainly around that time) but an identical farmhouse down the road had their chimneystack blown over, which fell through the roof into their kids' bedroom. Luckily no-one was hurt.

(This post was edited by Fanatic on Oct 15, 2011, 11:58 PM)

acmold

Oct 16, 2011, 10:21 AM

Post #8 of 33 (4135 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Fanatic] The Great Storm of 1987 [In reply to] Can't Post or

Mentioned in "All Roads Lead Home", if you are lost in a forest look for fallen trees most will be facing north east as they fell down during the "Great Storm" when the wind was coming from the south west.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b012yq4v

Mishi

Oct 16, 2011, 11:34 AM

Team(s): Dulwich Hamlet

Post #9 of 33 (4126 views)
Shortcut

"Just like any given Friday down them there parts then?"

Nah, the 'heyday' of the Old Kent Road has long gone! 'Gin Palace'; 'Dun Cow'; 'Henry Cooper'; 'Green Man'...RIP!

Even your favourite, the other side of Dunton Bridge, 'The Fort' has recently closed. Where do you go now?

I'd say it's a bit more lively with the alcopop swigging under age hordes of slappers over Romford way! Is Hollywoods still there? Many moons ago we took a fleet of cabs over there from the OKR, 'for a laugh'...it was a rough night! Make that a half hour or so, for some reason twenty Sarf Lunnon geezers weren't too welcome in the mid eighties! ;-) Good fun though...

Grounds visited: 744
Last new ground:Sutton Athleticl FC; London Hire Stadium, Hextable, Kent. (Southern Counties East Football League First Division)
Last game: Wednesday 11th September 2019: FC Elmstead 4, Lewisham Borough 1. [Southern Counties East Football League First Division]
Matches watched this season: 37
2017/18-New English grounds: 6; & foreign: 0

(This post was edited by Mishi on Oct 16, 2011, 11:35 AM)

DonQuixote
Chelsea Transfer Target

Oct 16, 2011, 12:42 PM

Post #10 of 33 (4118 views)
Shortcut

Hollywood (no s) has long gone as has Secrets, which was a half decent night club.
Certainly put Romford on the map but can't argue re the slappers along the strip.
The place is a hell hole after dark and not much better in the cold light of day either.
We used to cross the great divide for a few libations down the Old Kent Road in the 70s.
The Crown and Anchor near the old Den was a good night out, as was the Dun Cow
and a mate of mine use to DJ in a pub around the back of Surrey Docks (as it was then known) station.
I hung around there with a guy called Dave Mann, used to play for Palace before
joining Romford and ended up as Fisher coach, I think.
As for now, my hard-arsed drinking days are well behind me. Have a few business meets
at Hamilton Hall (where we first met - no going all gooey-eyed now) and apart from that
the Ship or New Inn in Gidea Park or the King Harold outside Harold Wood station and
chez Quixote of course.

PaulC

Oct 16, 2011, 8:23 PM

Team(s): AFC Darwen, Troon, Ayr Utd, Burnley

Post #11 of 33 (4075 views)
Shortcut

I was spending a few days on Arran (unaware of the strong breeze in the south of England) and decided to cycle round the island. I set off anti-clockwise from Brodick on the sheltered eastern side of the island and made good progress to Lochranza at the NW tip of Arran. I turned the corner to head south and it was like cycling into a wall.

I gave up!

timmy tabby
First Team Star

Oct 16, 2011, 9:28 PM

Post #12 of 33 (4064 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PaulC] The Great Storm of 1987 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Incredible evening of destruction and memories still very clear. Notably, our chimney pot blowing down and making rather a large hole in next doors garage roof and also the roof tiles blowing off another neighbours home and embedding themselves in her manicured lawn like tombstones.

I slept through it but my mother was getting increasingly panicky my dad in his normal matter of fact manner kept telling my mum to 'go back to sleep as there is nothing you can do about it'.

Homer moment later on as I walked down the station expecting to get into work and not realising until on reaching Rayleigh High Street that there was no electricity and therefore no trains.

Was amazed that Rotherham made it down to Roots Hall for the Friday evening match and on the next day made my only trip to Enderby to watch Leicester United 3 v 1 Crawley Town with the hurricane down south barely being mentioned.

DonQuixote
Chelsea Transfer Target

Oct 16, 2011, 9:44 PM

Post #13 of 33 (4062 views)
Shortcut
Re: [timmy tabby] The Great Storm of 1987 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Just checked my records and discovered that I went to Hornchurch v Witham in the Vase on the Saturday after.
Surprised it was on to be fair, considering all the local damage, including Aveley's stand ending up in a
different post code.

Ostrich
First Team Sub

Oct 16, 2011, 11:08 PM

Post #14 of 33 (4053 views)
Shortcut

I was living near Yeovil at the time. IIRC, the "eye" of the storm came ashore round Exeter way and it passed more or less over us. We had a violent storm for about 3-4 hours, up to around 1 in the morning, then an hour of quiet, then it all started up again!

But actually it wasn't the worst storm we suffered while living in the SW. That was one on or around a New Year's Day where we had 100 mph gusts funnelling up the Axe Valley from the coast. I recall being out in the garden, fooloishly hanging onto the side fence for grim life to stop the d*mn thing taking off in the direction of Wiltshire. That storm also took the ridge tiles off our roof, and our neighbour's roof too ...... Pirate

pitch 63
First Team Star

Oct 17, 2011, 10:05 AM

Post #15 of 33 (4018 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ostrich] The Great Storm of 1987 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The worse storm we had was during the day of 26th January 1990. Several people died in the area that I lived then, including our next door neighbour. Not a day I will ever forget as we lost part of our roof.

paignton-nick
Chelsea Transfer Target

Oct 17, 2011, 10:55 AM

Team(s): Stevenage FC & Buckland Athletic

Post #16 of 33 (4012 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pitch 63] The Great Storm of 1987 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Slept right through it, wondered what all the fuss was about, until arriving at school (was 13 at the time) to find a massive tree had crashed through our form room during the night.
Just where has that time gone? absolutely flown by!Unsure

Stevenage FC - Hertfordshire's finest!
Buckland Athletic- Pride of South Devon!

acmold

Oct 17, 2011, 11:55 AM

Post #17 of 33 (4005 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paignton-nick] The Great Storm of 1987 [In reply to] Can't Post or

Seem to recall we had more damage around here on Friday 2nd January 1976 than on the night of the "Great Storm". Certainly in 1976 many trees came down, I was at a reserve game at Oxford United which was abandoned just after half-time due to the roof being blown off of the Osler Road cover - 0-0 v Leicester City, just prior to that a tree had been blown over in the grounds of hospital next door. Coming home a number of roads were shut due to fallen trees.

On the night of the "Great Storm" I knew nothing about it until the next morning on the TV news. I recall in those days I had a job which meant I was on the road most days, but by chance I had the Friday off so it did not effect me.

Chris1963

Oct 17, 2011, 5:17 PM

Team(s): Oxford United / Groundhopper

Post #18 of 33 (3976 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] The Great Storm of 1987 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Seem to recall we had more damage around here on Friday 2nd January 1976 than on the night of the "Great Storm". Certainly in 1976 many trees came down, I was at a reserve game at Oxford United which was abandoned just after half-time due to the roof being blown off of the Osler Road cover - 0-0 v Leicester City, just prior to that a tree had been blown over in the grounds of hospital next door. Coming home a number of roads were shut due to fallen trees.

On the night of the "Great Storm" I knew nothing about it until the next morning on the TV news. I recall in those days I had a job which meant I was on the road most days, but by chance I had the Friday off so it did not effect me.

I remember that, if only because the programme for the Oxford United v. Bristol City game a week later (only my 3rd ever match) had some superb photos of the damage. By coincidence, I attended the following season's Football Combination fixture between Oxford United and Leicester City, which was my first ever reserve team game and which ended 3-3.

In 1987, I only remember seeing a fallen tree in White Hart Lane while on my way to work on Friday morning. Train services were badly disrupted all over the south-east, so the following day I made a very local trip to 'tick' Cockfosters in the HSCL, and unfortunately they did not issue a programme that day. If I could go back in time I would have gone to St. Margaretsbury instead, as they were at home in the FA Vase and it would have been possible for me to get there by bus from London.

(This post was edited by Chris1963 on Oct 17, 2011, 5:18 PM)

splodge
Chelsea Transfer Target

Oct 17, 2011, 8:50 PM

Post #19 of 33 (3953 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Chris1963] The Great Storm of 1987 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I was in a pub the night it occurred which happily was close to Portsmouth's main Police Stn.

Come closing time and the winds started picking up, the police said it was too dangerous to leave so had a very enjoyable night locked inSmile

www.twitter.com/splodgey
www.facebook.com/paulsplodgeproctor

garethwrexy

Oct 18, 2011, 8:49 AM

Team(s): wrexham and dulwich

Post #20 of 33 (3918 views)
Shortcut

still cant belive michael fish got it so wrong Crazy

wrexham fc fa trophy winners 2013 !

DonQuixote
Chelsea Transfer Target

Oct 18, 2011, 9:16 AM

Post #21 of 33 (3914 views)
Shortcut
Re: [garethwrexy] The Great Storm of 1987 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

He didn't apparently, anyway, you were still a stain on the sheet when it happened, no?

garethwrexy

Oct 18, 2011, 5:06 PM

Team(s): wrexham and dulwich

Post #22 of 33 (3876 views)
Shortcut

born 1986 thanks, dont remember it at all though ! but mum and dad do. and maybe my sister

wrexham fc fa trophy winners 2013 !

jrev61

Oct 19, 2011, 6:14 PM

Team(s): None

Post #23 of 33 (3827 views)
Shortcut
Re: [garethwrexy] The Great Storm of 1987 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Is it true that when the storm hit Wrexham, several million pounds worth of improvement was done?

(I know it's an old joke!)

jrev61

Matty
Reserve Team Star

Oct 20, 2011, 11:40 AM

Team(s): All things Derbyshire

Post #24 of 33 (3773 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jrev61] The Great Storm of 1987 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I was an 18 yr old inverted snob just started at the Univerisity of York with a load of toffee nosed suffern puffta's - but when you saw the devastation and the panic calls that went back home to see if people were ok - well
Still an inverted snob and as a Derby lad still don't know if I'm southern, midland, northern or disenfranchised

DonQuixote
Chelsea Transfer Target

Oct 20, 2011, 11:43 AM

Post #25 of 33 (3771 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Matty] The Great Storm of 1987 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Us pooftah's adopted a bit of Blitz spirit and we were back to normal in no time.
Gave the insurance companies one hell of a beating though....

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3