Home: All Other Football Interests: Premier League & Football League:
why bother with top flight football?

cope1
Man City Transfer Target!

Oct 2, 2011, 7:32 PM

Post #1 of 15 (3066 views)
Shortcut
why bother with top flight football? Can't Post or Reply Privately

I grew up an Arsenal fan and am proud of the club for the fact that it invests in its community and in its women's team, as well as the fact that it doesn't break the bank to win, or to retain its Champions League place, especially in the face of an increasingly money-orientated professional game.

However, today I was on the Victoria Line for only one stop - Highbury to Finsbury Park - with a carriage full of Arsenals fans. They were of the less desirable sort - shaved heads, thick necks and ceiling punching fists - but I can stomach that as there are many who may not find me desirable. What I cannot stomach is the "get rid of the yids" chants followed by hissing, I believe to immitate the gas chambers in the holocaust.

So, what I ask is, when I support a club who win more or often than not, usually play good football, by most standards have well behaved players and don't go for the win-at-all-costs financial plan, am I wrong to feel there is little point in top flight football at all because of this sort of idiocy?

I am at the last hurdle to be honest. I am an AFA man and I love non-league football and football generally - the further away from the spotlight the better - but even so, I am regularly amazed at the ability of professional football to prove itself even more crass than I had previously understood.

Steelback
First Team Star

Oct 2, 2011, 8:42 PM

Team(s): Northamptonshire Steelbacks : Peterborough United : San Francisco 49ers

Post #2 of 15 (3042 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cope1] why bother with top flight football? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

You would think that these type of knuckle dragging neanderthals would have been priced out of the top flight game with tickets prices regularly over £50 a pop but it seems not

‘Informative’ Posts Only, by order of the Forum KGB

Isaac

Oct 2, 2011, 9:02 PM

Team(s): ABMU

Post #3 of 15 (3032 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Steelback] why bother with top flight football? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I'm sure their numbers have been reduced but most top flight clubs have a minority of 'neds' amongst their followers.

UKPunk

Oct 2, 2011, 10:01 PM

Post #4 of 15 (3017 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Isaac] why bother with top flight football? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I agree with Isaac. Even though things have improved since the 70's and 80's you will always get a minority of types at the bigger clubs that need shooting. Arsenal fans sing about gassing yids, Spurs fans accuse Wenger of being the lowest sort of sexual criminal it's possible to be. The thing that all have in common is the fact that the vast majority of real football fans abhor their behaviour.

I've still got six Premiership grounds to do. After that, aside from a very occasional visit to White Hart Lane, I doubt I'll bother with top flight football except when Spurs are on TV, although my main reason has more to do with the price of a ticket and the behaviour of the players.

1-0-1-0-4-25-40-65-181-289=606

Last game: Mon 20/8/18
4. Basford United 1 Hednesford Town 2

mick
Chelsea Transfer Target

Oct 2, 2011, 10:05 PM

Post #5 of 15 (3014 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Steelback] why bother with top flight football? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
You would think that these type of knuckle dragging neanderthals would have been priced out of the top flight game with tickets prices regularly over £50 a pop but it seems not

Don't see why you would think that. They have always had plenty of money to follow England to the far corners of the globe, going well back before 'low cost' airlines etc came on the scene. They don't seem to have any difficulties with having to be at work when their team(s) play abroad either.

villahopper
First Team Star

Oct 2, 2011, 11:06 PM

Team(s): Aston Villa Bromsgrove Sporting New York Jets

Post #6 of 15 (2999 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mick] why bother with top flight football? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I bother with top flight football because I support a club that happens to play in it. And I will always be a Villa fan regardless of what league they are playing in.
Every team has dumb ass followers. Some more than others. But that wouldn't stop me following my team

Fanatic
First Team Star

Oct 2, 2011, 11:35 PM

Team(s):

Post #7 of 15 (2991 views)
Shortcut
Re: [villahopper] why bother with top flight football? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

It often seems to me that the higher up the leagues you go, the proportion of idiots increases. The thing that really bugs me is the absolute bias of fans - fair enough if it's a 50/50, you want to believe that your team should get the decision, but I've watched groups of fans watch as their player kicks the ball out of play right in front of them and then spend a minute screaming abuse at the linesman (and often for the entire match afterwards) because he's given the throw to the other team. I just don't understand what happens in these peoples' heads. Unsure

villahopper
First Team Star

Oct 2, 2011, 11:41 PM

Team(s): Aston Villa Bromsgrove Sporting New York Jets

Post #8 of 15 (2986 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Fanatic] why bother with top flight football? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
It often seems to me that the higher up the leagues you go, the proportion of idiots increases. The thing that really bugs me is the absolute bias of fans - fair enough if it's a 50/50, you want to believe that your team should get the decision, but I've watched groups of fans watch as their player kicks the ball out of play right in front of them and then spend a minute screaming abuse at the linesman (and often for the entire match afterwards) because he's given the throw to the other team. I just don't understand what happens in these peoples' heads. Unsure

That happens at all levels of football

Mister TwoU
First Team Star

Oct 3, 2011, 8:59 AM

Team(s): Malvern Town F,C,

Post #9 of 15 (2948 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cope1] why bother with top flight football? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I suspect that quiet a few of the 'choristers' live with a world view were the War is as mutch ancient history as 1066 and all that. Sutch a disjunction makes it impossible for these people too begin understanding our objections too what there singing.

Its JUST a traditional anti-Spurs song would be the (politest) genuinley puzzled retort if queried by the likes of us. May as well try teatch fish to play the violin!

Professional cretin.

Fanatic
First Team Star

Oct 3, 2011, 11:44 AM

Team(s):

Post #10 of 15 (2925 views)
Shortcut
Re: [villahopper] why bother with top flight football? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

That happens at all levels of football

It may do, but it's worse the higher up the leagues you go - rationality goes out of the window.

garethwrexy

Oct 3, 2011, 3:21 PM

Team(s): wrexham and dulwich

Post #11 of 15 (2887 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Fanatic] why bother with top flight football? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

every club has idiots/morons from wrexham, ie accrington stanley to arsenal, fans who sing chant and hold views like that reall should not be made welcome at a football match in my view.

wrexham fc fa trophy winners 2013 !

Whiskey Coates
First Team Sub

Oct 3, 2011, 3:56 PM

Team(s): Bridlington Town, Sheffield Wednesday, Scarborough FC.

Post #12 of 15 (2877 views)
Shortcut
Re: [garethwrexy] why bother with top flight football? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

On a related note, Spurs vow to ban fans for offensive chanting during yesterday's game.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15144151.stm

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Oct 4, 2011, 2:01 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #13 of 15 (2798 views)
Shortcut
Re: [garethwrexy] why bother with top flight football? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
every club has idiots/morons from wrexham, ie accrington stanley to arsenal, fans who sing chant and hold views like that reall should not be made welcome at a football match in my view.

There are sufficient morons from Wrexham to support every club ? Wow.

cope1

Oct 5, 2011, 12:27 PM

Post #14 of 15 (2729 views)
Shortcut

Thanks for the replies chaps. I know you're right - there are always going to be the idiots. I do feel more and more disillusioned with it all to be honest. I will never be able to see Arsenal lose and not feel the pain but I have definately lost the passion I used to have for that type of football.

Ironically the argument about cricket is always how to create more passion and interest in the domestic game but I enjoyed following Middlesex this season precisely because there is so little fuss. Even at test level it just seems to be a nicer world. Perhaps football has 'developed' so much more than games like cricket, and 'development' not only means generating more money but generating more 'passion', where that often means mindless idiocy.

Barnsley Dave
First Team Star

Oct 6, 2011, 7:40 AM

Team(s): Barnsley ,non league football,Yorkshire C.C, ,,wherever I lay my hat

Post #15 of 15 (2656 views)
Shortcut

On the other hand I've been to quite a few cheapo Cup games involving Arsenal, Spurs, Fulham and Chelsea yet seen no trouble, vile chants, or semblance of such. In fact the nearest I've seen a situation develop to a punch up was at Ashford (Middx) a couple of seasons ago which I must add, is not the norm there as most are a friendly bunch Wink

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3