Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

THIS FORUM IS NOW READ ONLY - PLEASE HEAD OVER TO THE NEW FORUM HERE (CLICK LINK) TO REGISTER A NEW ACCOUNT - THANKS

Home: Archive: 2011-2012 CUP Results:
ECFA Tolleshunt D'Arcy Memorial Cup 2011-12

southend statto
First Team Star

Sep 16, 2011, 9:58 PM

Team(s): most of my local sides

Post #1 of 22 (12719 views)
Shortcut
ECFA Tolleshunt D'Arcy Memorial Cup 2011-12 Quote | Reply or Reply Privately

The Essex County FA's benevolent competition has been played for since the early 1930s.
The ECFA have plans to expand the competition.
This season, the non-Senior clubs have been removed, resulting in the competition being played for by just eight teams as opposed to the normal sixteen.

1st Rd. draw
A) Heybridge Swifts v. Braintree Town
B) Wivenhoe Town v. Hullbridge Sports
C) Stanway Rovers v. Witham Town
D) Burnham Ramblers v. Halstead Town

Semi-final draw
winners match D v. winners match B
winners match A v. winners match C

mr creosote
Chelsea Transfer Target

Sep 29, 2011, 1:23 AM

Team(s): Grays Athletic, Haverhill Rovers

Post #2 of 22 (12653 views)
Shortcut
Re: [southend statto] ECFA Tolleshunt D'Arcy Memorial Cup 2011-12 [In reply to] Quote | Reply or Reply Privately

Reducing the number of teams seems a strange way to expand! Just to pick up on your point about the Tolleshunt D'Arcy Memorial Cup being ECFA'a benevolent cup; the competition has only ever been open to clubs from the northern half of the county. I suppose you could say the Thames-side Trophy did the job in the southern half, but I beleive that it is a competition that has been sanctioned by the ECFA rather than run by them.

southend statto
First Team Star

Sep 29, 2011, 1:19 PM

Post #3 of 22 (12636 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mr creosote] ECFA Tolleshunt D'Arcy Memorial Cup 2011-12 [In reply to] Quote | Reply or Reply Privately

Mr. C, to expand on my original entry, the cup was presented to the ECFA by the trustees of the late Dr. Salter, a resident of Tolleshunt D'Arcy, with a view to the ECFA running a competition for it.

It's been running since the 1933-34 season and is now into it's 74th season. It even ran for most of the war years.

The competition has always been run by the ECFA Group Officer for that part of the county, hence why only clubs from the north west take part. It is run on an invitational basis with monies going to the ECFA Benevolent Fund.

The idea is to extend the competition over the next few years to cover a wider area.

This season, only senior clubs are taking part - perhaps the beginning of an expanded 'senior' competition?

Clubs not invited include (from the past few seasons) Tiptree Heath, Maldon St. Mary, White Notley, Beacon Hill Rovers, Coggeshall Town and Earls Colne, to name a few.

The Essex Thames-side Trophy was not an ECFA compettion and was originally run, as you probably know, as a competion for the big 8 east London / west Essex clubs, such as Walthamstow Avenue and Leytonstone. This competition failed due to poor administration, as did the Eastern Floodlight League.

mr creosote
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 19, 2011, 11:37 AM

Team(s): Grays Athletic, Haverhill Rovers

Post #4 of 22 (12404 views)
Shortcut
Re: [southend statto] ECFA Tolleshunt D'Arcy Memorial Cup 2011-12 [In reply to] Quote | Reply or Reply Privately

1st Rd. draw
A) Heybridge Swifts v. Braintree Town (Wednesday 23rd November, 7.30pm)
B) Wivenhoe Town v. Hullbridge Sports
C) Stanway Rovers v. Witham Town
D) Burnham Ramblers v. Halstead Town

Semi-final draw
winners match D v. winners match B
winners match A v. winners match C

southend statto
First Team Star

Nov 25, 2011, 1:46 PM

Post #5 of 22 (12338 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mr creosote] ECFA Tolleshunt D'Arcy Memorial Cup 2011-12 [In reply to] Quote | Reply or Reply Privately

1st Rd. result - Heybridge Swifts 4 Braintree Town 3 (holders knocked out)

southend statto
First Team Star

Dec 11, 2011, 8:25 PM

Post #6 of 22 (12203 views)
Shortcut

1st Rd. fixture: Burnham v Halstead - Tues. 10th January

(This post was edited by southend statto on Dec 11, 2011, 8:25 PM)

southend statto
First Team Star

Dec 14, 2011, 9:41 AM

Post #7 of 22 (12146 views)
Shortcut

1st rd date: next Tuesday, 20th Dec for Wivenhoe v Hullbridge

southend statto
First Team Star

Dec 20, 2011, 8:26 AM

Post #8 of 22 (12019 views)
Shortcut

Wivenhoe v Hullbridge match off to-night (20th) - water-logged pitch

southend statto
First Team Star

Dec 27, 2011, 8:53 PM

Post #9 of 22 (11804 views)
Shortcut

The postponed First Round tie between Wivenhoe Town and Hullbridge Sports has been re-arranged for this Thursday - that's Thursday 29th December

southend statto
First Team Star

Dec 29, 2011, 9:57 PM

Post #10 of 22 (11713 views)
Shortcut

1st Round result: Wivenhoe Town 1 Hullbridge Sports 4

southend statto
First Team Star

Jan 8, 2012, 5:29 PM

Post #11 of 22 (11292 views)
Shortcut

the outstanding first round tie between Stanway and Witham has been set for Wednesday, 18th January

southend statto
First Team Star

Jan 10, 2012, 10:16 PM

Post #12 of 22 (11218 views)
Shortcut

10 Jan: 1st Rd. Burnham 0 Halstead 0
Burnham win 4-3 on penalties and are now at home to Hullbridge in the semi-final

southend statto
First Team Star

Jan 19, 2012, 3:27 PM

Post #13 of 22 (11041 views)
Shortcut

Stanway 2 Witham 4

Semi-finals
Burnham Ramblers v. Hullbridge Sports
Heybridge Swifts v. Witham Town

southend statto
First Team Star

Jan 26, 2012, 1:27 PM

Post #14 of 22 (10860 views)
Shortcut

Semi-finals

7th Feb: Burnham Ramblers v. Hullbridge Sports

29th Feb: Heybridge Swifts v. Witham Town

Final

Thursday, March 22nd, 2012 at Spa Road, Witham Town FC

southend statto
First Team Star

Feb 7, 2012, 9:50 PM

Post #15 of 22 (10554 views)
Shortcut

s/f burnham v hullbridge postponed

southend statto
First Team Star

Feb 16, 2012, 11:36 AM

Post #16 of 22 (10333 views)
Shortcut

Burnham v Hullbridge semi-final re-arranged for 28th Feb.

southend statto
First Team Star

Feb 29, 2012, 8:03 AM

Post #17 of 22 (10068 views)
Shortcut

28 Feb. s/f Burnham Ramblers 2 Hullbridge 1

southend statto
First Team Star

Mar 1, 2012, 6:30 AM

Post #18 of 22 (10048 views)
Shortcut

29 Feb. s/f Heybridge Swifts 0 Witham Town 2

Final

Thursday, March 22nd, 2012 at Spa Road, Witham Town FC - Burnham Ramblers v. Witham Town at 7.30

southend statto
First Team Star

Mar 23, 2012, 6:10 AM

Post #19 of 22 (9740 views)
Shortcut

Final

Witham Town 1 (Rob Whitnell)

Burnham Ramblers 0

MarkInGorleston
First Team Star

Mar 25, 2012, 2:32 PM

Post #20 of 22 (9677 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Reducing the number of teams seems a strange way to expand! Just to pick up on your point about the Tolleshunt D'Arcy Memorial Cup being ECFA'a benevolent cup; the competition has only ever been open to clubs from the northern half of the county. I suppose you could say the Thames-side Trophy did the job in the southern half, but I beleive that it is a competition that has been sanctioned by the ECFA rather than run by them.

As Assistant Secretary of this competition, can i just clarify :

The sides at step.7 decided not to join this season due to the previous seasons fixture congestion, where the semi final and final had to be played at the start of this current season. The teams struggled to fit the games in.

Beacon Hill chose not to enter due to coming up against Burnham Ramblers 1st team in a 9.0 hammering.

We are hopefull that next season we will gain a further numbers of senior clubs, plus step seven sides again and the early indications are very promising. Due to a season of better weather.

Finally thankyou to Witham Town FC for the donation of 205.00.

Best Regards, Mark.

I would laugh my head off if AFCW went down along with ColUwe and We**ham.

(This post was edited by Witham Mark on Mar 25, 2012, 2:52 PM)

southend statto
First Team Star

Apr 3, 2012, 12:48 PM

Post #21 of 22 (9504 views)
Shortcut

match report of final 'acquired' from the ECFA website:

Witham Town Assistant Manager John Ray claimed Garry Kimble’s side are continuing to grow in confidence after Rob Whitnell’s 70th-minute header netted the Essex Senior League leaders their first silverware of the campaign - the Tolleshunt D’Arcy Memorial Cup - following a win over neighbours Burnham Ramblers.

Town are fighting on four fronts this season, with their domestic league and cup honours still to compete for, and Ray revealed that Witham are becoming stronger after an indifferent start to the campaign. “At the start of the season we drew a few and lost one game,” he stated. “After that we started winning and just carried on the momentum. It sounds strange, but we don’t know how to lose. The mental strength has been fantastic.”

“We’re going for four and this is one out of the way and they [the players] have deserved it because all season they’ve been fantastic. Before the game we were talking about what this cup means. It’s all about taking chances and we took ours when we needed to. Now I’m confident we’ll go on and win the league. As a unit off the pitch the lads are brilliant too and Gary’s got the blend right. He knows what works.”

The competition is a traditional means of raising funds for the Essex County FA Benevolent Fund, which provides financial relief to players who temporarily can’t work due to an injury sustained during a match. Burnham goalkeeper Matt Belcher was also feeling charitable on 12 minutes when he wandered from goal and Whitnell tried an audacious lob which smacked onto the post and came back out from all of 40 yards.

Just after the half-hour Witham right-back Seb Murfet made his way into the box and rifled a left-footer inches over from half the distance, then it was Ramblers’ turn to rattle the woodwork on 58 minutes. This time Ricky Evans thumped the frame with a free kick which crashed against the crossbar and bounced down the wrong side of the goal line.

Team mate Danny Cossington went on a seemingly unstoppable run through the Witham midfield to the edge of the penalty box before screeching narrowly too high and off-target moments before the hour point. His opposite number four, Bobby Port, flicked at goal from a corner at the other end and a desperate scramble knocked it off the line.

But the crucial moment arrived when Whitnell was picked out by a right-flank Murfet delivery and he looped a header beyond Belcher from a few yards. “You know what you’re going to get from Rob - he’s one of those players who’ll always get you goals,” Ray described. “He could be having the worst game in the world and he’ll pop up one minute... goal... bang... and he’ll win you the game! That’s what he’s done tonight.”

Burnham Ramblers: Matt Belcher, Matt Smith, Ricky Evans, Danny Cossington, Ricky Stubbs (C), Ashley John-Baptiste, Charlie Kirby, Shadrak Ngandu (Michael Fox, 70), Ashley Fashanu (Brad Hunter, 70), Martin Llewellyn, Brad Warner. Unused Substitutes: Reece Brandon, Matt Newman, Connor Mackay, Tony Jestico.

Witham Town: Jason Baker, Seb Murfet (Danny Hayes, 82), James Brady, Bobby Port, Derrick Lefty, John Brady (Jack Stracey, 52), Joe Ilett, Steve Joyce (C), Billy Hunt, Rob Whitnell, Jacob Cleaver. Unused Substitutes: Mitch Yeo, Lloyd Owers, Dan Sambridge, Scott Stephens.

Bookings: None.

Referee: Peter Wilson (Chelmsford).

Assistant Referees: Keith Barron (Chelmsford) and Jeremy Mott (Witham).

LondonBuck
Chelsea Transfer Target

Apr 4, 2012, 4:37 AM

Post #22 of 22 (9479 views)
Shortcut

Cool Nice report Smile

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3