'Time machine' time:

Mishi
Man City Transfer Target!

Sep 16, 2011, 10:55 AM

Team(s): Dulwich Hamlet

Post #1 of 17 (5240 views)
Shortcut
'Time machine' time: Can't Post or Reply Privately

Please answer this quickly, without giving it too much thought....

If you could go to one football event, & one non-sporting one in a 'time machine' where would you go/

Mine would be the 1932 Amateur Cup Final at Upton Park-Dulwich Hamlet 7, Marine 1.

&

The fall of the Berlin Wall.

Over to you folks, should kill a few moments of 'Friday at work' waiting for the weekend boredom! ;-)

Grounds visited: 741
Last new ground: Old Roan FC; John Roan Playing Fields; Kidrooke Park Road, London, SE3. (Bromley & South London Football Alliance Division One)
Last game: Tuesday 20th August 2019: Fisher 0 Erith Town 0 -abandoned at half time due to partial fllodlight failure [Southern Counties East League Premier Division]
Matches watched this season: 21
2017/18-New English grounds: 3; & foreign: 0

Mister TwoU
First Team Star

Sep 16, 2011, 6:48 PM

Team(s): Malvern Town F,C,

Post #2 of 17 (5207 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mishi] 'Time machine' time: [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

lol.

Id go forward for my football event too the day Bo'ness United win the Champions League, hope fully during the next thousand years or so.

For non football event Id like too go pre historic too hand feed a little vegetation too a baby triceratops.

Bit wiered I now but ittakes all type!

Professional cretin.

jrev61

Sep 16, 2011, 7:04 PM

Team(s): None

Post #3 of 17 (5206 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mister TwoU] 'Time machine' time: [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The football match I would go to would be Manchester United v. City in 1973-4 (Denis Law's finest moment).
The non-sporting event would be a sale of Van Gogh's painting in his lifetime. I would buy one for a few francs, then sell for several million pounds in the modern age!

jrev61

Bantam Cymraeg
Chelsea Transfer Target

Sep 16, 2011, 7:21 PM

Team(s): Bradford City

Post #4 of 17 (5203 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jrev61] 'Time machine' time: [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Bradford City winning the FA Cup in 1911.

Woodstock. (That's the rock festival, not the town in Oxfordshire!)

Ostrich
First Team Sub

Sep 16, 2011, 10:49 PM

Post #5 of 17 (5185 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bantam Cymraeg] 'Time machine' time: [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

A goalless draw Sly .... Manchester United v Exeter, FAC, 2005

As for the non-sporting event, I think I'd very much have liked being in on the Gunpowder Plot, 1605. Pity it wasn't successful, because it was a very laudable aim, well worth repeating today ...... Tongue

blackdouglas
Chelsea Transfer Target

Sep 16, 2011, 11:42 PM

Team(s): See signature for clubs

Post #6 of 17 (5176 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ostrich] 'Time machine' time: [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

As for the non-sporting event, I think I'd very much have liked being in on the Gunpowder Plot, 1605. Pity it wasn't successful, because it was a very laudable aim, well worth repeating today ...... Tongue

But they weren't trying to get rid of the Monarchy, they wanted to replace Protestant James I (VI to us) with a Catholic monarch (James' catholic daughter Elizabeth was favourite but Philip of Spain's daughter Isabella was also considered) to brig us all back under papal doctrine. Note it was only girls who could be easily manipulated who were considered and that may say more about their own aspirations towards the throne through marriage than it does about their hatred towards James himself.

Northwood, Threave Rovers, Arsenal, Rangers (the real ones, NOT qpr),Watford, Rochdale, queen of the south and a few others.

blackdouglas
Chelsea Transfer Target

Sep 17, 2011, 9:39 AM

Team(s): See signature for clubs

Post #7 of 17 (5151 views)
Shortcut
Re: [blackdouglas] 'Time machine' time: [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

A little correction to above, James I's (VI to us) daughter Elizabeth wasn't catholic but being only nine yr old at the time she would've been raised in the catholic faith on her succession to the throne had the plot succeeded.

Northwood, Threave Rovers, Arsenal, Rangers (the real ones, NOT qpr),Watford, Rochdale, queen of the south and a few others.

Matty
Reserve Team Star

Sep 17, 2011, 4:24 PM

Team(s): All things Derbyshire

Post #8 of 17 (5133 views)
Shortcut
Re: [blackdouglas] 'Time machine' time: [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Not done my research here but, anyway...

you have the Shrovetide 'football' in Ashbourne, a wonder round Derby Museum before the bankers - well if not closed closed it down reduced free enjoyment for the great unwashed masses such as myself - informed me it was widespread to have these games.
Being a Derby lad there was one from 2 parishes around the cathedral in Derby - this is where the facts if indeed they are (wife from Oxford laughs when I say its a Cathedral - not even a church according to 'er ) but King someone banned it from - I think certain places? anyway knowing the place it would be good to see it done again
ps I'm the son of 2 lapsed catholics but I don't know if that relative - speaking as an agnostic

garethwrexy

Sep 18, 2011, 10:39 AM

Team(s): wrexham and dulwich

Post #9 of 17 (5084 views)
Shortcut

dulwich hamlet's challenge cup win in 1999 2-1 v uxbridge at charlton athletic
for wrexham a couple of the european games from the 80's and the LDV final in 2005 2-0 win v southend united

wrexham fc fa trophy winners 2013 !

jrev61

Sep 18, 2011, 11:25 AM

Team(s): None

Post #10 of 17 (5080 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ostrich] 'Time machine' time: [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

Not sure you would have enjoyed the torture afterwards, but at least there was the hanging,drawing and quartering to look forward to.Smile

jrev61

Mishi

Sep 18, 2011, 6:14 PM

Team(s): Dulwich Hamlet

Post #11 of 17 (5047 views)
Shortcut
Re: [garethwrexy] 'Time machine' time: [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

"dulwich hamlet's challenge cup win in 1999 2-1 v uxbridge at charlton athletic"

Hmm...might second that myself, even though I was 'nominally' there!

In our then First Team manager Dave Garland's pub at opening time, which was 11 o'clock back then, in Chancery Lane. Then, as more of us arrived, we headed to Westminster pier at about three, for a boozy riverboat ride to Greenwich, much to the bemusement of the tourists on board! Then in a boozer at Greenwich, think it was the Cutty Sark, finally cabs to The Valley, & heading into their bar before kick off...for some reason a lot of the evening is a bit hazy! ;-)

Grounds visited: 741
Last new ground: Old Roan FC; John Roan Playing Fields; Kidrooke Park Road, London, SE3. (Bromley & South London Football Alliance Division One)
Last game: Tuesday 20th August 2019: Fisher 0 Erith Town 0 -abandoned at half time due to partial fllodlight failure [Southern Counties East League Premier Division]
Matches watched this season: 21
2017/18-New English grounds: 3; & foreign: 0

splodge
Chelsea Transfer Target

Sep 19, 2011, 8:18 PM

Post #12 of 17 (4979 views)
Shortcut

Football - January 1963 Fareham Town 1-0 Hendon FA Amateur Cup

Any other event - Day of the battle of Hastings in 1066 and I'll tell the Saxon's not to go chasing the Norman knights down the hill

www.twitter.com/splodgey
www.facebook.com/paulsplodgeproctor

3-1-5-1
Reserve Team Regular

Sep 20, 2011, 7:49 PM

Team(s): Sheff Wed, Gremio, Cwmbran and thirty others

Post #13 of 17 (4917 views)
Shortcut
Re: [splodge] 'Time machine' time: [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Historical event - Fall of the Berlin Wall (see 'Kennedy' moments thread)

Sport - Nautico v Gremio...Batalha dos Aflitos 2005

I wouldn't actually want to be at the game but in Porto Alegre...I was in the UK and I remember phoning a mate over there when I was couldn't find any score on the internet...he was catatonic...just couldn't speak after the tension and emotion...finally got the result from my wife's mother an hour or so later...

I'd sell my house, my wife and all of my belongings to have been there that day!

Eu sou Gaucho!

garethwrexy

Sep 22, 2011, 5:47 PM

Team(s): wrexham and dulwich

Post #14 of 17 (4854 views)
Shortcut
Re: [3-1-5-1] 'Time machine' time: [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

non footballing one wwf wrestlemania 14

international football wales 1-0 v england 1984 at the caes race Smile

wrexham fc fa trophy winners 2013 !

hampshirelad
Youth Team Star

Sep 22, 2011, 6:35 PM

Team(s): Eastleigh, Inverness CT, Forres Mechanics, Borussia Monchengladbach

Post #15 of 17 (4847 views)
Shortcut
Re: [garethwrexy] 'Time machine' time: [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Literally back 7 hours ago, my debit card got eaten by the cash machine at koln hbf, stupid thing is i didnt need money, but its just got me on a downer so much so that i just got 3 trams to a local koln football match, got a bit of banter about my venlo jumper i was wearing an so i turned back and walked home, hilarious day

Grounds: 236 Last New :1.FC Koln 25th September

paignton-nick
Chelsea Transfer Target

Sep 23, 2011, 9:32 AM

Team(s): Stevenage FC & Buckland Athletic

Post #16 of 17 (4814 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hampshirelad] 'Time machine' time: [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Football: would have to be 'that ' day in 1966....

Non-football: Another one for the Berlin Wall.

Stevenage FC - Hertfordshire's finest!
Buckland Athletic- Pride of South Devon!

benjiman
Reserve Team Sub

Sep 25, 2011, 5:34 PM

Team(s): Liverpool / Bristol City

Post #17 of 17 (4726 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paignton-nick] 'Time machine' time: [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Football: 1977 European Cup Final Liverpool vs Borussia Mönchengladbach. Our first title and in the days before the big money tarnished the game.

Other Sport: There are so many track and field moments I'd love to have seen. The Coe/Ovett clashes in the 1980/84 Olympics would have been pretty special.

Last Game

SPFL Premiership

Hamilton Academical 0-0 Partick Thistle

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3