Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: All Other Football Interests: All other football:
Postcards

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

LondonBuck
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 26, 2012, 11:29 PM

Team(s): AFC Telford United, Witham Town, Folkestone Invicta, Gillingham, Woking

Post #26 of 29 (1137 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Richard Rundle] Postcards of Football Towns [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Nothing West Country?

I'm sure there must be one of Greenwich, either the observatory, the meridian line or even the Millennium Dome would count?

On my West Country visits I seem to have been lucky with postcards, even have one of St Marychurch Smile
And you're right about Greenwich I'm sure, will pop over there again during the summer.

643 GROUNDS - Milton Keynes Robins (61/92)
582 WETHERSPOONS - Lytham
2 WETHERSPOONS HOTELS - Ripon

(This post was edited by LondonBuck on Mar 26, 2012, 11:36 PM)

LondonBuck
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 26, 2012, 11:35 PM

Team(s): AFC Telford United, Witham Town, Folkestone Invicta, Gillingham, Woking

Post #27 of 29 (1136 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mishi] Postcards of Football Towns [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Does it have to be an unused postcard, & is colour essentila?

Would you include a 'modern' postcard of an old picture, which would probably be in black & white?

Yes, unused definitely, and relatively up to date preferred hence colour, having said that, if offered a black and white card as the only option I have on occasion purchased that, for example Purleigh, Essex, Bexleyheath and Welling. Modern card of an old picture also acceptable providing said picture is of a building that still stands Wink

LondonBuck
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 26, 2012, 11:44 PM

Post #28 of 29 (1131 views)
Shortcut
Re: [VP] Postcards of Football Towns [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I don't collect them or anything but my favourites are those 70s cards with four pictures of things like car parks in these bland commuter towns (like Camberley!)

I reckon you'll get one for the majority of the places you have listed depending on how fussy you are regarding age. A quick look on eBay has cards for Esher, Brixton, Hounslow, Walton on Thames, Chertsey, Sutton, Hartley Wintney, Ascot and Knaphill although some are very old and expensive. I'm sure I've seen some for Frimley Green in the past - there were a few made up during WW2 when a load of German POWs were marched from Frimley Station to a camp on Frith Hill. I've seen at least three different pictures on the cards but whether they count as Frimley, Frimley Green or Deepcut I don't know. There must be a postcard with Lakeside on it doing the rounds somewhere.
Even Ash has had a card or two made in the past, at least one of them was listed as Ash Vale. I'm not sure where the official border is between the two.

There is a shop in Reading that has produced colour cards of the town and also Slough and my personal favourite 'Beautiful Bracknell' Cool these were made as joke cards but they are actually quite good and the Bracknell one would certainly be to your liking VP Tongue You'll be pleased to know I do have a nice modern colour one of Camberley too Wink

Will check what's on offer on eBay, but wouldn't like to pay loads of money for an older card really.
Thanks for the info.

VP
Man City Transfer Target!

Mar 27, 2012, 12:29 AM

Post #29 of 29 (1125 views)
Shortcut
Re: [LondonBuck] Postcards of Football Towns [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
You'll be pleased to know I do have a nice modern colour one of Camberley too Wink

Ooh. I've just been looking at Google images. Looks like we've issued a card with our new shopping centre on it. There are three different views of it just in case one isn't enough and a picture of St. Michael's church which is nice as that's where the football club was conceived back in 1895.

As I said, I don't buy postcards or anything but I'm interested in the history and I love looking at old images of the area. Luckily there are a few historians and photographers locally who can see past the drabness and make certain aspects of the town seem almost interesting.
Even the 1980s pictures are worth looking at now for a laugh or a trip down Misery Lane.

(This post was edited by VP on Mar 27, 2012, 12:30 AM)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3