Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: All Other Football Interests: All other football:
Postcards

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

LondonBuck
Chelsea Transfer Target

Aug 21, 2011, 11:59 AM

Team(s): AFC Telford United, Witham Town, Folkestone Invicta, Gillingham, Woking

Post #1 of 29 (7923 views)
Shortcut
Postcards Can't Post or Reply Privately

Looking through my stuff here I realise I have quite a few football ground postcards, mainly non league. A set with a yellow border, some with red border and a number of more recent full picture postcards. I was wondering if there were any others produced or if there is a list of these anywhere?
Also, on the subject, does anybody here collect postcards of towns? I have to get one from wherever I visit and have amassed 4 albums worth from virtually every major town and city in England, it is quite an interesting collection to look through Smile

643 GROUNDS - Milton Keynes Robins (61/92)
582 WETHERSPOONS - Lytham
2 WETHERSPOONS HOTELS - Ripon

dottirofhod
Man City Transfer Target!

Aug 21, 2011, 12:04 PM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #2 of 29 (7920 views)
Shortcut
Re: [LondonBuck] Postcards [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

What's on the Crewe one, Crewe Park or the Polish Embassy ?

July 1, 2019 to June 30,2020 = 87 / 75 / 12 / inc 3 x 0-0's. (You know my rules) @ 14 / 10 / 2019.
2019/20. Benelux = Bel = 0-0-0-(I(MUI-I)-0-0)-(0-2-1-1)/ Lux = 0-2 / Neth = 0-0-0-(1 - 2) Others France = 0-0 / Germany =0-0-0 / Italy =0-1(Act 2- Frosinone new)./ Iberia = P = 0-0 & S = 0-0.

Now blogging at https://eccentricity.video.blog/

LondonBuck
Chelsea Transfer Target

Aug 21, 2011, 10:48 PM

Team(s): AFC Telford United, Witham Town, Folkestone Invicta, Gillingham, Woking

Post #3 of 29 (7881 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dottirofhod] Postcards [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

Virtually every town in England EXCEPT Crewe Frown
I have Warrington, Northwich, Macclesfield, Stafford, but not Crewe.
If you have a tourist info office perhaps you would be kind enough to see if there is such a thing as a Crewe postcard for me? Even a local card or gift shop may have one. It is often the case with most towns that only one shop will stock them.
I would be eternally grateful Angelic

Richard Rundle

Aug 23, 2011, 8:42 PM

Post #4 of 29 (7796 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Looking through my stuff here I realise I have quite a few football ground postcards, mainly non league. A set with a yellow border, some with red border and a number of more recent full picture postcards. I was wondering if there were any others produced or if there is a list of these anywhere?
Also, on the subject, does anybody here collect postcards of towns? I have to get one from wherever I visit and have amassed 4 albums worth from virtually every major town and city in England, it is quite an interesting collection to look through Smile

I believe the ones with yellow borders were done by the Groundtastic guys, and that Mike Floate also did some excellent ones of league & non-league grounds

acmold

Aug 24, 2011, 10:15 AM

Post #5 of 29 (7769 views)
Shortcut
Re: [LondonBuck] Postcards [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To

In Reply To

If you have a tourist info office perhaps you would be kind enough to see if there is such a thing as a Crewe postcard for me? Even a local card or gift shop may have one. It is often the case with most towns that only one shop will stock them.

One on Ebay of the ground in the Buy it Now section, a bit expensive, 2.50 plus 1 postage.

dottirofhod

Aug 24, 2011, 10:25 AM

Post #6 of 29 (7767 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] Postcards [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The gentleman has been offered and accepted my assistance, hopefully at a cheaper price than that !

July 1, 2019 to June 30,2020 = 87 / 75 / 12 / inc 3 x 0-0's. (You know my rules) @ 14 / 10 / 2019.
2019/20. Benelux = Bel = 0-0-0-(I(MUI-I)-0-0)-(0-2-1-1)/ Lux = 0-2 / Neth = 0-0-0-(1 - 2) Others France = 0-0 / Germany =0-0-0 / Italy =0-1(Act 2- Frosinone new)./ Iberia = P = 0-0 & S = 0-0.

dottirofhod

Aug 24, 2011, 1:07 PM

Post #7 of 29 (7753 views)
Shortcut

4 postcards acquired at Crewe Town Hall, 2 of Crewe and 2 of Nantwich. 25p each . P/M your details will send the next time I'm in town (P/Office)

sandhurstbee

Aug 24, 2011, 1:31 PM

Team(s): Brentford, Sandhurst Town and Most local Non League sides.

Post #8 of 29 (7744 views)
Shortcut

But did you manage to get One of the Polish Embassy Hoddy Wink

Last New Ground 2016/17 (15) 29/4/2017 HIGHMOOR/IBIS RESERVES 1 Mortimer 1 - Thames Valley premier league, Premier Division

dottirofhod

Aug 24, 2011, 1:40 PM

Post #9 of 29 (7742 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sandhurstbee] Postcards [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Nie niedostepne.

LondonBuck
Chelsea Transfer Target

Aug 24, 2011, 2:20 PM

Post #10 of 29 (7736 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
4 postcards acquired at Crewe Town Hall, 2 of Crewe and 2 of Nantwich. 25p each . P/M your details will send the next time I'm in town (P/Office)

What a star! SmileSmile
I take it all back Laugh
I shall be eternally grateful, I'll make a space between Crawley and Croydon right away Smile

dottirofhod

Aug 24, 2011, 2:24 PM

Post #11 of 29 (7733 views)
Shortcut

Bloody beginner , you need Crediton and Crewkerne as well ?

LondonBuck
Chelsea Transfer Target

Aug 24, 2011, 2:29 PM

Post #12 of 29 (7730 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Bloody beginner , you need Crediton and Crewkerne as well ?

I'll get there one day!
I have a card of Ilford, which is quite an achievement! Laugh
No disrespect to Ilford.

(This post was edited by LondonBuck on Aug 24, 2011, 2:31 PM)

Tim

Aug 24, 2011, 2:42 PM

Team(s): Stourbridge, Welton Rovers

Post #13 of 29 (7723 views)
Shortcut

LondonBuck
Chelsea Transfer Target

Aug 24, 2011, 2:43 PM

Post #14 of 29 (7723 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] Postcards [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

One on Ebay of the ground in the Buy it Now section, a bit expensive, 2.50 plus 1 postage.

Thanks, nice card, seems to be part of another series I didn't know about, does anyone else have any of these football ground postcards similar to the Crewe one on eBay?
Must be collectable at that price Shocked

LondonBuck
Chelsea Transfer Target

Aug 24, 2011, 3:09 PM

Post #15 of 29 (7716 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tim] Postcards [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Nice.
I do have 2 cards from my visit to Stourbridge, I only get current colour cards generally unless there are none available in which case it is sometimes possible to find black and white historical views at a local museum.
I believe there is quite a market in the really old cards, hopefully one day my collection will be of value but personally I just enjoy looking back through the places I've been to in a similar way many people do with their football programmes.
Cool

LondonBuck
Chelsea Transfer Target

Aug 26, 2011, 2:20 PM

Post #16 of 29 (7621 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sandhurstbee] Postcards [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Now in possession of 2 postcards each of Crewe and Nantwich, very nice they are too Smile
dottirofhod is a fine chap! Cool

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Aug 30, 2011, 4:45 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #17 of 29 (7527 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Nice.
I do have 2 cards from my visit to Stourbridge, I only get current colour cards generally unless there are none available in which case it is sometimes possible to find black and white historical views at a local museum.
I believe there is quite a market in the really old cards, hopefully one day my collection will be of value but personally I just enjoy looking back through the places I've been to in a similar way many people do with their football programmes.
Cool

That's not an old photo of Stourbridge, in case you were wondering - St Aynuk's Day 2010 as it goes. Reduced priced faggots and grorty dick all day.

MaccProgs
Ballboy/girl

Nov 28, 2011, 6:03 PM

Team(s): Macclesfield Town, Manchester City

Post #18 of 29 (5837 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

Sorry for bumping such an old thread but I was wondering if the postcard you had of Macclesfield was of the football ground or town?

Cheers

http://www.flickr.com/photos/macclesfield

LondonBuck
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 29, 2011, 3:27 AM

Post #19 of 29 (5794 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MaccProgs] Postcards [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

Sorry for bumping such an old thread but I was wondering if the postcard you had of Macclesfield was of the football ground or town?

Cheers

Its a card with 3 views of the town on.
I am guessing that wasn't the answer you were hoping for? Unsure
By some coincidence I was just about to return to this thread as I have been counting up the number of different places I have cards for and the grand total for England is 450, I'm still checking through the latest additions though.
Thats a lot of travelling I seem to have done Shocked

MaccProgs
Ballboy/girl

Nov 29, 2011, 8:07 AM

Team(s): Macclesfield Town, Manchester City

Post #20 of 29 (5788 views)
Shortcut

That is impressive!

Not the answer I was looking for but cheers anyway Smile

http://www.flickr.com/photos/macclesfield

LondonBuck
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 1, 2011, 6:36 AM

Post #21 of 29 (5705 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MaccProgs] Postcards [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

For anyone who's interested, just finished going through the collection and the grand total of postcards for the Towns and Cities in Britain that I have visited is 504 Shocked
Also, a number of places I have not been able to get a card from will appear on a future post when I have cross referenced with other records Wink
No excuse for towns not to produce a card in my opinion because if Barking and Ilford do then anyone can!

(This post was edited by LondonBuck on Dec 2, 2011, 12:11 AM)

LondonBuck
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 23, 2012, 8:44 PM

Post #22 of 29 (3741 views)
Shortcut
Re: [LondonBuck] Postcards of Football Towns [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
For anyone who's interested, just finished going through the collection and the grand total of postcards for the Towns and Cities in Britain that I have visited is 504 Shocked
Also, a number of places I have not been able to get a card from will appear on a future post when I have cross referenced with other records Wink
No excuse for towns not to produce a card in my opinion because if Barking and Ilford do then anyone can!

Further to the above, I can now attach a list of places that may or may not have produced a colour postcard of the town or local landmark. Yes, most are extremely unlikely to have done so, however, I recently picked up a card of Slough, and also have Harrow, Ilford and Barking, so anything is possible!
Hoddy was kind enough to send me a postcard of Crewe. If any other members of the forum would be able to spare a few moments to look through the list and see if there is anything they can help me with that would be very much appreciated. Even if just to confirm whether a card is available would help. Many thanks.
Apologies for going a little off topic here as regards football Blush

(This post was edited by LondonBuck on Mar 24, 2012, 12:26 AM)

Richard Rundle

Mar 26, 2012, 3:11 PM

Post #23 of 29 (3648 views)
Shortcut
Re: [LondonBuck] Postcards of Football Towns [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Nothing West Country?

I'm sure there must be one of Greenwich, either the observatory, the meridian line or even the Millennium Dome would count?

Mishi

Mar 26, 2012, 3:51 PM

Team(s): Dulwich Hamlet

Post #24 of 29 (3640 views)
Shortcut

Does it have to be an unused postcard, & is colour essentila?

Would you include a 'modern' postcard of an old picture, which would probably be in black & white?

Grounds visited: 745
Last new ground:Horsham FC; The Camping World Community Stadium, Horsham, West Sussex. (Isthmian League Premier Division)
Last game: Saturday 21st September 2019: Dulwich Hamlet 6, Bognor Regis Town 1. [ FA Cup 2nd qualifying round]
Matches watched this season: 46
2017/18-New English grounds: 7 & foreign: 0

VP

Mar 26, 2012, 10:45 PM

Post #25 of 29 (3618 views)
Shortcut

I don't collect them or anything but my favourites are those 70s cards with four pictures of things like car parks in these bland commuter towns (like Camberley!)

I reckon you'll get one for the majority of the places you have listed depending on how fussy you are regarding age. A quick look on eBay has cards for Esher, Brixton, Hounslow, Walton on Thames, Chertsey, Sutton, Hartley Wintney, Ascot and Knaphill although some are very old and expensive. I'm sure I've seen some for Frimley Green in the past - there were a few made up during WW2 when a load of German POWs were marched from Frimley Station to a camp on Frith Hill. I've seen at least three different pictures on the cards but whether they count as Frimley, Frimley Green or Deepcut I don't know. There must be a postcard with Lakeside on it doing the rounds somewhere.
Even Ash has had a card or two made in the past, at least one of them was listed as Ash Vale. I'm not sure where the official border is between the two.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3