Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: Non Football Related: General Chat:
Civil unrest

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

LondonBuck
Chelsea Transfer Target

Aug 8, 2011, 9:59 AM

Team(s): AFC Telford United, Witham Town, Folkestone Invicta, Gillingham, Woking

Post #1 of 134 (5074 views)
Shortcut
     Civil unrest   or Reply Privately

Not sure why people are surprised at the outbreak of rioting etc in North London, unfortunately it only takes a small spark to set people off these days and obviously Brixton felt left out and decided to have a go last night too Crazy
I sometimes wonder how we all get on as well as we do generally as gangster culture seems to be so fashionable these days Mad
Is it just a coincidence that the worst parts of London are the ones without many football clubs at non league level?

643 GROUNDS - Milton Keynes Robins (61/92)
582 WETHERSPOONS - Lytham
2 WETHERSPOONS HOTELS - Ripon

Isaac
Man City Transfer Target!

Aug 8, 2011, 11:09 AM

Team(s): ABMU

Post #2 of 134 (5065 views)
Shortcut
     Re: [LondonBuck] Civil unrest [In reply to]   or Reply Privately

Time to get out the water cannons, just thugs jumping on the bandwagon of what had been a reasonable protest!

UKPunk

Aug 8, 2011, 1:36 PM

Post #3 of 134 (5040 views)
Shortcut
     Re: [Isaac] Civil unrest [In reply to]   or Reply Privately

It's about time people woke up to the fact that many of the people involved in the rioting are basically types who are arguably best described as the scum of society. They don't work, don't want to work, are often involved in criminal activities and live their lives scrounging off the state. In my view, the best way to deal with the rioting is send a few troops into the local area and if anyone is seen indulging in the sort of destructive behaviour we've seen over the last couple of days they get shot.

I know some on here will say that's extreme but it's the only language these people understand and quite frankly I'm sick and tired of the fact that while the majority of us work our backsides off to have a reasonable life these freeloading bastards not only get given handouts they don't deserve but make others lives a misery.

The solution to their lack of money and prospects isn't going to be solved by ruining other people's livelihoods but by getting off their lazy backsides and doing something positive about it. It's not like the help isn't there. The only problem they've got is their attitude to life and lack of respect for others.

1-0-1-0-4-25-40-65-181-289=606

Last game: Mon 20/8/18
4. Basford United 1 Hednesford Town 2

dottirofhod

Aug 8, 2011, 1:48 PM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #4 of 134 (5036 views)
Shortcut
     Re: [UKPunk] Civil unrest [In reply to]   or Reply Privately

Vote for Punky.
Go and have a lie down in a darkened room Punky. Think of the blood pressure.
Do you require snipers ?

July 1, 2019 to June 30,2020 = 87 / 75 / 12 / inc 3 x 0-0's. (You know my rules) @ 14 / 10 / 2019.
2019/20. Benelux = Bel = 0-0-0-(I(MUI-I)-0-0)-(0-2-1-1)/ Lux = 0-2 / Neth = 0-0-0-(1 - 2) Others France = 0-0 / Germany =0-0-0 / Italy =0-1(Act 2- Frosinone new)./ Iberia = P = 0-0 & S = 0-0.

Now blogging at https://eccentricity.video.blog/

Fanatic
First Team Star

Aug 8, 2011, 3:41 PM

Team(s):

Post #5 of 134 (5024 views)
Shortcut
     Re: [dottirofhod] Civil unrest [In reply to]   or Reply Privately

I was quite amused by the media reports that quoted locals as claiming the riots were the fault of the police who assume everyone in Tottenham is a criminal. What better way to prove those critics wrong than to have a riot and then some mass looting to finish it off.

villahopper
First Team Star

Aug 8, 2011, 4:53 PM

Team(s): Aston Villa Bromsgrove Sporting New York Jets

Post #6 of 134 (5011 views)
Shortcut
     Re: [Fanatic] Civil unrest [In reply to]   or Reply Privately

Anyone want to mention the elephant in the room

jimmyjazz
Chelsea Transfer Target

Aug 8, 2011, 4:54 PM

Team(s):

Post #7 of 134 (5010 views)
Shortcut
     Re: [villahopper] Civil unrest [In reply to]   or Reply Privately

Is it an Indian elephant?

villahopper
First Team Star

Aug 8, 2011, 4:57 PM

Post #8 of 134 (5008 views)
Shortcut
     Re: [jimmyjazz] Civil unrest [In reply to]   or Reply Privately

No it's a forgetful one !!

Isaac

Aug 8, 2011, 6:04 PM

Post #9 of 134 (4990 views)
Shortcut

There is further unrest in Hackney at the moment.

Punky certainly gets my vote, we need to send out a clear message before every yob in the country jumps onto the bandwagon.

What a great advert for London in the year before the Olympic Games.

sandhurstbee

Aug 8, 2011, 6:20 PM

Team(s): Brentford, Sandhurst Town and Most local Non League sides.

Post #10 of 134 (4985 views)
Shortcut
     Re: [Isaac] Civil unrest [In reply to]   or Reply Privately

In Reply To
There is further unrest in Hackney at the moment.

Punky certainly gets my vote, we need to send out a clear message before every yob in the country jumps onto the bandwagon.

What a great advert for London in the year before the Olympic Games.

My money is on it spreading to other cities Tonight, Birmingham, Liverpool, Manchester and Crewe! Wink

Last New Ground 2016/17 (15) 29/4/2017 HIGHMOOR/IBIS RESERVES 1 Mortimer 1 - Thames Valley premier league, Premier Division

dottirofhod

Aug 8, 2011, 6:31 PM

Post #11 of 134 (4979 views)
Shortcut
     Re: [sandhurstbee] Civil unrest [In reply to]   or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

My money is on it spreading to other cities Tonight, Birmingham, Liverpool, Manchester and Crewe! Wink

Lewisham and Peckham now according to Auntie.
Crewe untouched at the mo but the 'Bargain Booze' warehouse is a possibility !

July 1, 2019 to June 30,2020 = 87 / 75 / 12 / inc 3 x 0-0's. (You know my rules) @ 14 / 10 / 2019.
2019/20. Benelux = Bel = 0-0-0-(I(MUI-I)-0-0)-(0-2-1-1)/ Lux = 0-2 / Neth = 0-0-0-(1 - 2) Others France = 0-0 / Germany =0-0-0 / Italy =0-1(Act 2- Frosinone new)./ Iberia = P = 0-0 & S = 0-0.

Isaac

Aug 8, 2011, 6:36 PM

Post #12 of 134 (4977 views)
Shortcut
     Re: [sandhurstbee] Civil unrest [In reply to]   or Reply Privately

I wouldn't be suprised and there are also problems in south London in Lewisham and Peckham.

cope1

Aug 8, 2011, 7:27 PM

Post #13 of 134 (4962 views)
Shortcut

I'm with Punk. There are social problems in places like Tottenham but this stuff has nothing to do with that.

I have to confess I've been feeling jumpy today and quite upset and angry about it all, mainly through worry for people I know in places like Enfield and Walthamstow and learning from my girlfriend that Sainsbury's in Barnet is shut with security guards outside topped it off. It sounds silly but it's got to me, I can't deny that.

What has helped is hearing so many people speak out against these idiots without the usual barrage of people defending them on the basis of them having difficult backgrounds. The police, as always, have been criticised for doing X and then for not doing X enough. They have my full support and I don't think anyone else can reasonably claim to know how to deal with it any better.

sjosta
First Team Regular

Aug 8, 2011, 8:31 PM

Team(s): Groundhopper, ABE

Post #14 of 134 (4942 views)
Shortcut
     Re: [cope1] Civil unrest [In reply to]   or Reply Privately

Have Hearts fans been advised by the foreign office not to travel to the war zone for the UEFA Cup tie soon? I think we should be told!

Thankfully I was there at the tale end of last season, else I may have been tempted to cadge a lift with Mancy Hearts again!

Football seen in: Scotland (268 grounds), England (969), Germany (289), Sweden (208), Netherlands (67), Wales (27), Ireland (S&N)(23/4), Austria (9), France (6), Denmark(5), Belgium(3),Italy(2), Luxembourg (2), Spain (2), Liechtenstein, Jersey, Switzerland, Canada
Figures correct(ish) at end of season 14-15 (1898 total)
For all your Fife needs:
Fife Junior History

villahopper
First Team Star

Aug 8, 2011, 8:42 PM

Post #15 of 134 (4934 views)
Shortcut
     Re: [sjosta] Civil unrest [In reply to]   or Reply Privately

Kicking off in Birmingham
The Bull ring and pallasdaes shopping centres

DonQuixote
Chelsea Transfer Target

Aug 8, 2011, 9:12 PM

Team(s): Romford, Everton, @BrentwoodSunLge

Post #16 of 134 (4920 views)
Shortcut

That will probably mean 100,000's worth of improvements...

FA Vase semi programme wanted: 2001 Taunton v Clitheroe.

garethwrexy

Aug 8, 2011, 9:44 PM

Team(s): wrexham and dulwich

Post #17 of 134 (4910 views)
Shortcut
     Re: [DonQuixote] Civil unrest [In reply to]   or Reply Privately

if it spreads to wrexham i will be down there filling by boots with free goods Tongue

wrexham fc fa trophy winners 2013 !

dottirofhod

Aug 8, 2011, 9:51 PM

Post #18 of 134 (4902 views)
Shortcut
     Re: [garethwrexy] Civil unrest [In reply to]   or Reply Privately

In Reply To
if it spreads to wrexham i will be down there filling by boots with free goods Tongue

What size are they ?

Mishi

Aug 8, 2011, 10:20 PM

Team(s): Dulwich Hamlet

Post #19 of 134 (4893 views)
Shortcut

Maybe I'm getting old, but the people involved are just mugs! Not for taking part per se, but it will be camera-ed up everywhere, & they are going to picked up, punished & made an example of. The sentences will be more severe than if it had been 'one incident', & the reason it's spreading are for a number of reasons. Listening to LBC this evening there are incidents all over the place, & the old bill really are at full stretch. There are coppers being drafted in from forces a long way from London. Hampshire & Cambridgeshire vans have been reported. They simply can't cope & made a big mistake in Tottenham, in my opinion, by appearing to sit back & watch. This made it look as though you can get away with it, & significant swathes of youths all over the city are seeing this. To be honest I don't think they realise the serious repercussions & it's just a 'laugh with their mates', & 'having a pop at the old bill'.

Why the old bill stood back I don't know...they don't hold back when Millwall play west ham, so why they don't go steaming in early doors & get these youths off the street with snatch squads & nip it in the bud I don't know. But it's gone way beyond that now. I genuinely believe that curfews & water cannon will be announced overnight or tomorrow. In London! That's how mental it's gone. I'm as proud a Londoner as anyone, as clas myself as extremely 'streetwise'. But I, for one, am glad I'm indoors tonight, & not living near a major high street. Tottenham. East Ham. Walworth. Peckham. Hackney. Battersea. Enfield. Romford. All over the capital...I'm not one to go 'Daily Mail' but listening to the radio London seems to be lawless tonight.

Rightly or wrongly, in large parts of London there are very few jobs for youngsters, & whilst there are those who are 'career criminals'/scum* (delete as appropriate) there has always been this sort of criminal underclass from generation to generation. But there are lots of youngsters nowadays caught in a trap of 'no future' with no jobs to go for, the ones that they do they can't get, because of the huge weight of applications, & they eventually get worn down, & turn to dodgy activities, getting sucked into gang-like things. And through this despair the only way to make 'quick money' is seen through music & the 'X Factor/Pop Idol' generation; or gang activity.

Don't get me wrong I'm not making excuses for all of the rioting....I'd rather they all got on the tube to the posh areas like Hampstead, instead of 'shitting on their own doorsteps'!

There is an even bigger sense of hopelessness in London among youngsters now, as they were all conned into believing that going to university was the answer, & the uni's filled up with untold quasi-degrees in sports science & media style crap. Then there are no jobs onece they have them. And now, this 'future' for them is out of the question too, as it will be too expensive, scary, risky, whatever, to attempt to go to uni & be saddled with a lifetime of debt.

As I say, I've no answers, & don't really want pseudo-political debate on the matter, I'm just offering some thoughts, as a Londoner born & bred. We have had riots in the past, but never such sporadic copycat activity. All over London tonight youngsters are thinking that they've got one over on the old bill, who are so overstretched, & there's not enough of them to catch them. Wait until the doors are kicked down in the next few days & weeks. But hang on, what will happen? Surely the prisons are close to full before all this? I wonder what sentences they will get, or even if they will all get custodial ones?

To be honest part of it all is so funny that you've got to laugh or you'd cry! not just at their stupidity as they post all their 'pleas nick me!' snaps on Twitter, Facebook & the like; but the fact that they actually mass-looted a Lidl!

Sad to say, but tonight the police have lost control & the lunatics have taken over the asylum!

I think I'll finish on that. With the hope that none of our inner city Dulwich Hamlet players, either First Team or Youth Team, have got involved...

Grounds visited: 745
Last new ground:Horsham FC; The Camping World Community Stadium, Horsham, West Sussex. (Isthmian League Premier Division)
Last game: Saturday 21st September 2019: Dulwich Hamlet 6, Bognor Regis Town 1. [ FA Cup 2nd qualifying round]
Matches watched this season: 46
2017/18-New English grounds: 7 & foreign: 0

DonQuixote
Chelsea Transfer Target

Aug 8, 2011, 10:21 PM

Team(s): Romford, Everton, @BrentwoodSunLge

Post #20 of 134 (4892 views)
Shortcut

Primark in Romford's been hit tonight.. Good to see the locals have a modicum of style and taste.

FA Vase semi programme wanted: 2001 Taunton v Clitheroe.

colpic
Chelsea Transfer Target

Aug 8, 2011, 10:22 PM

Team(s): Scotter United (Scunthorpe League), AFC Telford(home town club),

Post #21 of 134 (4892 views)
Shortcut
     Re: [garethwrexy] Civil unrest [In reply to]   or Reply Privately

In Reply To

The rioters went into Wrexham centre but couldn't find anything to smash. They donated several items of clothing to the local charity shops......Wink

Greetings from affluent Scunny.Shocked

Where's the 'ignore this poster' button?

hampshirelad
Youth Team Star

Aug 8, 2011, 10:44 PM

Team(s): Eastleigh, Inverness CT, Forres Mechanics, Borussia Monchengladbach

Post #22 of 134 (4882 views)
Shortcut
     Re: [colpic] Civil unrest [In reply to]   or Reply Privately

I hope no-one gets hurt anywhere around the country from this forum.

I am heading to ipswich via train saturday, im not giving in to these idiots

Grounds: 236 Last New :1.FC Koln 25th September

Lars
Reserve Team Star

Aug 8, 2011, 10:57 PM

Team(s): Yeovil, Kettering

Post #23 of 134 (4877 views)
Shortcut

Interesting to read your thoughts and opinions.

These riots have been shown on Swedish TV too (of course). Something I've noticed is that many of the people are laughing while destroyng things (or seeing things get destroyed). It seems as if they do it out of anger, but out of fun. (!)

Also, in these cases I feel sorry for the shop owners, etc., who gets their shops (etc.) smashed to peaces and robbed. What have THEY done to deserve that? And how loyal is that, to destroy for "your own"(?).

You may not know this, but Sweden sees these things happening too. Sometimes, night after night. Usually something happens every night in Malmo, like people setting cars on fire. When firefighters arrive, they throw stones at them, etc.
These things basically always happen in areas with high immigration, and the guys behind the riots are immigrants themselves, destroying for other immigrants.
In Sweden, we are not allowed to speak openly about these things, like for example letting more people into our country than we perhaps can handle. (About 50 % think so, while 25 % think too few and 25 % neither too many nor too few. The results of these polls are, however, not being shown for the public. I ordered the material directly from the university that do the studies.) If one is negative regarding the amount of immigrants, and/or wants to talk about the problems a large immigration is causing (it of course has positive effects too), one is being labeled as racist. Unfortunately, I think few people (including the immigrants themselves) benifit by such a climate.
I don't know about the situation in UK.

By the way... the question in the original(?) post in this thread sounded interesting. Is there less non-league football in those areas?

Lars
Reserve Team Star

Aug 8, 2011, 11:05 PM

Team(s): Yeovil, Kettering

Post #24 of 134 (4869 views)
Shortcut
     Re: [Mishi] Civil unrest [In reply to]   or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Maybe I'm getting old, but the people involved are just mugs! Not for taking part per se, but it will be camera-ed up everywhere, & they are going to picked up, punished & made an example of. The sentences will be more severe than if it had been 'one incident',

This is very interesting. Do you, and others here, actually think that will happen?

I hope it will happen.

But I ask because here in Sweden, these people (we have them too) don't seem to get punished. Not at all.

Speaking of Sweden, what was our largest daily newspaper's headline, some day ago?
It was (sort of):
"Riots in London after father of four had been shot down by the police!"
not
"Riots in London after criminal gangster leader was shot down while shooting at the police!"

PaulC

Aug 8, 2011, 11:23 PM

Team(s): AFC Darwen, Troon, Ayr Utd, Burnley

Post #25 of 134 (4858 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Anyone want to mention the elephant in the room

I see two elephants - one white, one black. Can you only see one?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3