INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: Non-League Football Discussion: General Discussion:
One for the South Yorkshire based old hoppers

Slumming It
Reserve Team Regular

Jul 5, 2011, 7:34 PM

Team(s): Leeds United, Rawmarsh Welfare (RIP)

Post #1 of 23 (10062 views)
Shortcut
One for the South Yorkshire based old hoppers Can't Post or Reply Privately

Rawmarsh Welfare, now defunct. Am I right that they would have played where Parkgate play now, Roundwood Leisure Centre off Green Lane?

Anyone remember why they went defunct?

Bielsa ringing...

Leeds games are my priority but will go anywhere to not be home on a Saturday (Jeff Stelling or the BT version drive me out not my wife and kids).

robgrillo
First Team Star

Jul 5, 2011, 7:48 PM

Post #2 of 23 (10048 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Clueless] One for the South Yorkshire based old hoppers [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Their former ground is now no more than an open field surrounded by houses if I remember. It is not the same ground as the one Parkgate use.
I gather they had ground grading issues.

LATE TO THE GAME - The origins of soccer in Bradford. Available from www.bantamspast.net

Yorks Amateur
First Team Sub

Jul 5, 2011, 7:54 PM

Team(s): Bradford City

Post #3 of 23 (10044 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Clueless] One for the South Yorkshire based old hoppers [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I've never been to Rawmarsh but have it on good authority that they played on a separate ground to Parkgate.

Without checking, I think I'm right in saying that they were the only Yorkshire league side that did not join the NCEL, when it formed in the early 1980's.

I've no idea what happened to them. Maybe the thought of travelling even further afield for their football was enough for them to call it a day or perhaps they stepped down a level.

Slumming It
Reserve Team Regular

Jul 5, 2011, 8:16 PM

Post #4 of 23 (10016 views)
Shortcut
Re: [robgrillo] One for the South Yorkshire based old hoppers [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

It would be nice to get confirmation of where they played, I'm sure I watched a cup game there, 0-0 after 120 minutes I think, long long time ago. As I have a decent memory of Rawmarsh and its geography the only decent bit of land I could think it might have been is between Rawmarsh Hill and the Leisure Centre.

Bielsa ringing...

Leeds games are my priority but will go anywhere to not be home on a Saturday (Jeff Stelling or the BT version drive me out not my wife and kids).

cl
Youth Team Regular

Jul 5, 2011, 8:18 PM

Post #5 of 23 (10013 views)
Shortcut

I believe it was just to the north of Parkgate's ground and had a stand that could be described as typical Yorkshire League.

robgrillo
First Team Star

Jul 5, 2011, 8:21 PM

Post #6 of 23 (10009 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cl] One for the South Yorkshire based old hoppers [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Just checked, Peashill Street, Rawmarsh
Pitch still there by the look of it (thanx to google earth)

LATE TO THE GAME - The origins of soccer in Bradford. Available from www.bantamspast.net

(This post was edited by robgrillo on Jul 5, 2011, 8:23 PM)

boyspen
Reserve Team Regular

Jul 5, 2011, 8:27 PM

Team(s):

Post #7 of 23 (9996 views)
Shortcut
Re: [robgrillo] One for the South Yorkshire based old hoppers [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Yeah, definitely different grounds.
The Rawmarsh Welfare one was aka Hill 60, and my records suggest it's still (or was in 2010) used by a Rotherham Sunday League team called Earl Grey TR.
Their mitoo wotsit page would appear to confirm this:
http://www.football.mitoo.co.uk/...;LeagueCode=ROTH2010

Flickr photos:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/thedribblingcode/albums
Blog (match/ground reviews) at:
http://thedribblingcode.wordpress.com
@dribblingcode on Twitter

Slumming It
Reserve Team Regular

Jul 5, 2011, 8:36 PM

Post #8 of 23 (9984 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

Thank you all, yes Peashill Street would fit perfectly with my recollections, very close to where Parkgate play now. Wonder what happened to the railings...Thanks again.

BTW I found this: http://www.thefa.com/...re-to-wembley_231109

Bielsa ringing...

(This post was edited by Clueless on Jul 5, 2011, 9:17 PM)

boyspen
Reserve Team Regular

Sep 15, 2011, 7:38 AM

Team(s):

Post #9 of 23 (9792 views)
Shortcut

Just bumped into this thread by accident while searching for summat else, but may as well add a bit to it..
This season Earl Grey TR have been renamed Rawmarsh Earl Grey + are now playing home games at Rawmarsh Leisure Centre on Barbers Avenue instead (just south of Parkgate FC's ground). While I was in the area recently I had a wander up to the old Peashill Street Ground, & there's still a football pitch marked out & some goalposts, but whether it's still in use for Sunday League this season I dunno. Was a few kids playing on it and noticeable signs of off licence carry-outs, so probably sees more use on a Friday night these days.

Flickr photos:

nico
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 23, 2014, 5:54 PM

Team(s): SV Schadenfreude

Post #10 of 23 (9446 views)
Shortcut
Re: Rawmarsh Welfare FC [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
Thank you all, yes Peashill Street would fit perfectly with my recollections, very close to where Parkgate play now. Wonder what happened to the railings...

I went to the old Rawmarsh Welfare (Hill 60) ground on Sunday...

http://nonleaguematters.co.uk/...i?post=633397#633397

...nothing there apart from pitch (which I believe is in exactly the same place as it was back in the Yorkshire League days) and goalposts. Not a trace left of the stand, or changing rooms, unfortunately.

One moment's high and glory rolls on by

nico
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 23, 2014, 5:57 PM

Post #11 of 23 (9442 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
I believe it was just to the north of Parkgate's ground and had a stand that could be described as typical Yorkshire League.

A former player of RWFC recently told me...

"On the near side was a concrete covered stand very similar to the one that can be found at Kiveton Park FC."

"We also had a wooden building near the entrance which contained changing rooms and refreshment area."

"Unfortunately this building was victim to an arson attack and was never properly replaced."

(This post was edited by nico on Dec 23, 2014, 5:58 PM)

nico
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 23, 2014, 6:04 PM

Post #12 of 23 (9428 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Anyone remember why they went defunct?

He went on to say...

"I left the club in mid 70's after we were advised that the club may be folding following several further acts of vandalism including another fire."

"As a result numerous players left the club and i am unsure how long the club continued at yorkshire league level after this."

...so it sounds like they were plagued by vandals/arsonists, and that is what probably finished them off.

nico
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jan 15, 2015, 1:29 AM

Post #13 of 23 (8629 views)
Shortcut
Re: One for the South Yorkshire based old hoppers [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Can anyone shed any light on a team called Parkgate Welfare FC? I know they reached the final of the Rotherham Charity Cup 7 times... (47/48 ru, 48/49 w, 50/51 ru, 52/53 w, 56/57 ru, 57/58 w, 59/60 w) ...and was just wondering if they played at the Roundwood Sports Complex (off Green Lane) and if they were the precursors of the current Parkgate FC (founded in 1969) or not?

Apparently, around 1960, Rawmarsh Welfare FC groundshared with Parkgate Welfare FC for one year whilst improvements were made to their Peashill Street ground.

ciderjon
First Team Star

Jan 23, 2015, 9:55 AM

Team(s):

Post #14 of 23 (8073 views)
Shortcut
Re: [nico] One for the South Yorkshire based old hoppers [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

While we are roughly the same geographical area.....

In the early 1990's I watched games at Mexbough Main Street (Hampden Rd) and Wath Saracens Ath (Moor St).

Can't see neither clubs nor grounds, any information. from local posters?

Last new Belgian beer: Lupulus (formerly Trois Fourquets) Triple 8.5% bc (808)

IAN S
First Team Star

Jan 23, 2015, 12:24 PM

Team(s): Sheffield United, Sheffield Eagles, Kendal Town

Post #15 of 23 (7968 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ciderjon] One for the South Yorkshire based old hoppers [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Both grounds are still there but neither club now exists. Not sure if Main Street's original ground is still there?

We'll be, as we are, when all the fools who doubt us fade away.

nico
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jan 23, 2015, 2:49 PM

Post #16 of 23 (7905 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ciderjon] One for the South Yorkshire based old hoppers [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
While we are roughly the same geographical area.....

In the early 1990's I watched games at Mexborough Main Street (Hampden Rd) and Wath Saracens Ath (Moor Rd). Can't see neither clubs nor grounds, any information. from local posters?

Both grounds are still there but neither club now exists. Not sure if Main Street's original ground is still there?

Wath Saracens packed up during the 97/98 season, I'm not aware of anyone using Moor Road this season. http://www.fchd.info/WATHSARA.HTM

Mexborough Main Street packed up more recently, during the 09/10 season. http://www.fchd.info/MEXBORMS.HTM
Before moving to Hampden Road they used to play at the LNER Club on Rowms Lane, Swinton. They left in the early Nineties (1991 ?) and a whacking great big warehouse was subsequently built on the sports ground, but the LNER social club still exists. As for Hampden Road, Swinton Athletic now play there on Saturday afternoons, plus Mexborough Athletic on Sunday mornings, and Mexborough Athletic Ladies on Sunday afternoons. The final of the Mexborough Montagu Hospital Charity Cup is also held there, traditionally on Easter Monday morning.

ciderjon
First Team Star

Jan 23, 2015, 5:20 PM

Team(s):

Post #17 of 23 (7857 views)
Shortcut
Re: [nico] One for the South Yorkshire based old hoppers [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Sorry that both clubs have slipped away, but pleased that Hampden Rd lives on. The directory has Swinton Ath down as New Oxford Street (which is not in my ageing A to Z) I hadn't realised it was the same place!

Thanks for answering the inquiry

Last new Belgian beer: Lupulus (formerly Trois Fourquets) Triple 8.5% bc (808)

London Harrier
First Team Star

Feb 12, 2019, 12:04 PM

Post #18 of 23 (4482 views)
Shortcut

Bumping this thread in light of Gordon Banks passing away, aged 81.

Banks played on trial for Rawmarsh Welfare in the 1950s. My partner lives near Rawmarsh so Iíd like to visit their old Hill 60 ground (or whatís left of it) . Does anyone know if itís still used by teams in the Rotherham and District Sunday Football League?

(This post was edited by London Harrier on Feb 12, 2019, 12:25 PM)

nico
Chelsea Transfer Target

Feb 12, 2019, 3:00 PM

Post #19 of 23 (4232 views)
Shortcut
Re: [London Harrier] One for the South Yorkshire based old hoppers [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Yep, sad news about Gordon.

When I went to see a game on Rawmarsh Welfare's old ground the players got changed by the side of their cars, which were parked at the bottom of Brameld Road - the pitch was accessed through a removed section of railings! {the gates at the bottom of Peashill Street were firmly locked.} Doesn't look like any team uses it now?

Bob Lilliman's cracking photo of RWFC, taken in August 1979... >>HERE<<

Mi23ck
Junior Team Sub

Feb 12, 2019, 4:07 PM

Team(s): Leeds 80s and 90s shaymen when poss

Post #20 of 23 (4137 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Slumming It] One for the South Yorkshire based old hoppers [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Join me in my quest on a Saturday...as of yet Jeff sterling not on my radar.

boyspen
Reserve Team Regular

Feb 13, 2019, 11:27 AM

Team(s):

Post #21 of 23 (3562 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mi23ck] One for the South Yorkshire based old hoppers [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Google maps still shows goalposts up and a feint pitch marked out, but doesn't look like it's used officially, + also doesn't show as a recreation ground on here: https://www.rotherham.gov.uk/site/scripts/directory_search.php?directoryID=9&keywords=rawmarsh&search=Search

Flickr photos:

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Feb 13, 2019, 2:38 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #22 of 23 (3378 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mi23ck] One for the South Yorkshire based old hoppers [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Join me in my quest on a Saturday...as of yet Jeff sterling not on my radar.

Who?

boyspen
Reserve Team Regular

Jun 5, 2019, 7:46 PM

Team(s):

Post #23 of 23 (883 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] One for the South Yorkshire based old hoppers [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Google maps screengrab

Flickr photos:

(This post was edited by boyspen on Jun 5, 2019, 7:48 PM)
Attachments: Rawmarsh Welfare (Peashill St aka Hill 60).jpg (245 KB)

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3