INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: Archive: Prediction League:
NLCL 2011-12

oftenscore6
Chelsea Transfer Target / Moderator

May 31, 2011, 12:00 AM

Team(s): FCUM, MUFC, Hammarby, St Pauli, Hawthorn (AFL)

Post #1 of 15 (40413 views)
Shortcut
NLCL 2011-12 Can't Post or Reply Privately

This thread is initially for any suggestions for improvement, or things that people particularly like and want to keep. Mid-June I'll collate suggestions into a vote.

A few things have been suggested to me verbally:
'Sealed' entries - they would either need to go to someone else or I can't validate them though
A limit on the number of people who can select any particular team
An optional cash entry/prize

-----------------------------------------------
Last new football ground (774) Thong Nhat Stadium Saigon 3-0 Hai Phong
With FC United: 129
On the agenda:
Dec 23: Spennymoor v FC United

UKPunk
Man City Transfer Target!

May 31, 2011, 12:33 AM

Post #2 of 15 (40410 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oftenscore6] NLCL 2011-12 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

'Sealed' entries
Am I right in thinking that the idea behind this is so that no one knows who has chosen which teams until the competition starts? It's a good idea and is easy to organise as people can simply send you their selections by PM. Then you can reveal all the day after the closing date for admissions. Mind you, Dave Lewis won't be able to enter as he doesn't allow the PM facility. Cool

A limit on the number of people who can select any particular team.
I'm not keen on this. I'm assuming the reasoning behind it is so that people can't copy others? That's easy to eliminate by applying the 'sealed entries' method.

An optional cash entry/prize.
I'm up for it but I think it's a non-starter. Too many posters will worry about breaking into their 'programme' account. Tongue

Actually, I'd have been happy if the rules had stayed the same for next season. But now it's been mentioned I certainly like the idea of no-one knowing what everyone else has picked.

0-0-4-1-7-24-30-71-182-283=602

42.5%

Last game: Sat 2/12/17 Ramsgate 2 Herne Bay 1

davy c
First Team Star

May 31, 2011, 11:34 AM

Post #3 of 15 (40384 views)
Shortcut
Re: [UKPunk] NLCL 2011-12 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Cash prizes (say for top 4) and entry fee gets my vote definately

twitter @davyc1976

Mister TwoU
First Team Star

May 31, 2011, 1:05 PM

Team(s): Bo'ness United/Cowdenbeath/Wasps

Post #4 of 15 (40378 views)
Shortcut
Re: [davy c] NLCL 2011-12 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I've yet to play, however I followed the course of the latest edition and I think this gives me a small 'independent' advantage when making suggestions - as follow:

1. A very much more accurate scoring system and daresay easier one to implement in excel would be to simply amass the total of league points scored by entrants' selections. This would allow 'automatic' scoring on a suitably written excel document, requiring only simple copy from a league table source website in order to summate everyone's totals. Save all the hassles involved with 'translating' team positions into points-values too. (PM me and I'll explain just how simple this can be done.)

2. With just one extra change to the above, PPG's could be automatically calculated using one extra column only and this would remove entrants' 'false' interim positions/points-scores caused by their selections havng played grossly differing numbers of matches at each 'snapshot' taken.

3. Naturally, were the game amended to incorporate the above, then in the Cup prediction competitions, we'd not be trying to predict the teams necessarily getting closest to winning each tournament, instead we'd be trying to predict the teams with the best wholesale win/loss ratio over the course of each competition - irrespective of actually when they are eventually k/o'ed. Which also would easily be rendered as a PPG value at each 'snapshot'.

4. I reckon there could still be room for 'bonuses' if thought a good idea, but these would NEED to be added in manually. These might be awarded for weekly achievements perhaps, but as I envisage final positions being determined solely by the average of all one's PPG's at every stage it may be best if bonuses are given extra thought as to how they might be satisfactorily applred.

Professional cretin.

TeacherRef
Ballboy/girl

Jun 1, 2011, 5:32 PM

Post #5 of 15 (40328 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mister TwoU] NLCL 2011-12 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I've just played my first season and done a lot better than I thought I would!

I also helped my mum pick her teams in a works league. They had 9 leagues - PL, C, L1, L2, CP, SP, S1, S2 & S3 and had to pick 1 team from each league. However, they had points assigned to them from the previous season. e.g. this season Man Utd will be 40, Chelsea 39 and so on. You had a total of 275 points so had to balance you teams. Some high, some low. Newly promoted teams like Leeds and Newport offered good value at about 19 points last season. The points scoring was simple, you added the goal scored to the points. So if you team drew 3-3 on a Saturday you earnt 4 points!

Have a look at the link and see the information. https://sites.google.com/...bwpremierleague/home Latest League Table and Who Chose Who are the main pages of importance. I am not suggesting changing this to 'Pro Clubs' but could this work with the current league we use? - She called her team GranCan Utd for any of you that do have a look - she even split the winnings with me!!!!

Also, how about a knock out cup? On set dates teams play each other. The team with the highest points on that week go through. A set draw is easiest so you know who you play when you go through. Also, pick the correct number of cup dates at the beginning of the season. Possibly avoid Dec and Jan due to postponements. e.g. 1st w/e in Sept - Round 1, 1st w/e in Oct - Round 2.

How about a 'League Cup' as well. Like the manager of the month but the bottom 1/8 get knocked out at the end of September. So 40 entries - 5 get knocked out. Scores get reset in October and the bottom 5 are knocked out at the end of October. Competition runs in Sept, Oct, Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb, Mar & Apr. This leaves 5 in April to compete for the 'League Cup'.

A few thoughts here! Hope you all understand, if not feel free to ask any questions!

VP

Jun 1, 2011, 5:44 PM

Post #6 of 15 (40321 views)
Shortcut

I think there should be more points given out in the Vase & Trophy so it's similar to the FA Cup. ie. a point for each win plus points for reaching various stages.

I'm not sure if this is what Mister TwoU was hinting at when he said:

"3. Naturally, were the game amended to incorporate the above, then in the Cup prediction competitions, we'd not be trying to predict the teams necessarily getting closest to winning each tournament, instead we'd be trying to predict the teams with the best wholesale win/loss ratio over the course of each competition - irrespective of actually when they are eventually k/o'ed. Which also would easily be rendered as a PPG value at each 'snapshot'."

oftenscore6

Jul 14, 2011, 9:45 PM

Post #7 of 15 (39110 views)
Shortcut
Re: [VP] NLCL 2011-12 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I'm going to make 2 changes for next season then:

1) Entries should be PM'd to me with a subject NLCL 2011-12. However, I will not read any such PM until the entries have closed. That also means I can't validate the entries though, so please double check the league allocations before you send the PM. Those currently without a PM facility, I suggest adding it to send the entry and then removing it straight after if you don't want to keep it.

NOTE: If you want to send me a PM with questions about this, please do not use the subject 'NLCL 2011-12', so I know I should look at that. Alternatively, just post a reply in this thread.

2) FA Vase and Trophy scoring will be aligned as the FA Cup, 1 point per win and bonuses for reaching the QF, SF, F and winning (1,3,5 and 7 respectively)

Entries are now open and will close on Saturday 6th August at 14:45. Good luck to all!

I'll also have a think about doing a 'League Cup' competition.

Please indicate with your entry if you wish to compete in a prize competition, 10 entry and all proceeds will be redistributed to winners etc. I'll see how many people choose this before fixing the prize split.

On the agenda:

(This post was edited by oftenscore6 on Jul 14, 2011, 11:50 PM)

northstandexile
First Team Regular

Jul 15, 2011, 3:09 PM

Team(s): Mansfield Town

Post #8 of 15 (39076 views)
Shortcut

Can you post a template so it is easier to fill in?

oftenscore6

Jul 15, 2011, 3:19 PM

Post #9 of 15 (39074 views)
Shortcut
Re: [northstandexile] NLCL 2011-12 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Good point, yes, will do so later today.

On the agenda:

oftenscore6

Aug 16, 2011, 1:01 AM

Post #10 of 15 (38408 views)
Shortcut

I've had one entry too late (howaythebay) but otherwise the numbers are well down on previous years and I don't know why that is.

I wouldn't have thought the FA changes would have deterred anyone, but perhaps people liked to see other's selections. I wouldn't have thought it's the option of a financial competition (only 2 people went for that though) as it was only an option. Perhaps it was me running and winning the competition last year. Entries opened a little later but most people entered quite late in the past and I posted a number of reminders. It's the same weekend as last season too. So perhaps those who didn't enter this time can let me know why (either by PM or reply here).

I think I'll probably let someone else take over after this season.

On the agenda:

mip

Aug 16, 2011, 11:13 AM

Team(s): Portsmouth, OB, Svendborg fB, Tved B

Post #11 of 15 (38389 views)
Shortcut

I had no problems with anything regarding changes in the competition but simply missed the deadline because of holiday and off-field issues.

northstandexile
First Team Regular

Aug 16, 2011, 4:17 PM

Team(s): Mansfield Town

Post #12 of 15 (38377 views)
Shortcut

Have you got my entry, sent it to you by pm?

oftenscore6

Aug 16, 2011, 4:21 PM

Post #13 of 15 (38375 views)
Shortcut
Re: [northstandexile] NLCL 2011-12 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Have you got my entry, sent it to you by pm?

Yes, you're in 14th place so far - should see that on the Results thread (I've swapped the sticky for 2010-11 with one for 2011-12 results).

On the agenda:

SparkyRebel
First Team Sub

Aug 22, 2011, 10:09 PM

Team(s): Worthing FC

Post #14 of 15 (38206 views)
Shortcut

Sadly other priorities meant constructing my entry didn't happen in time to enter this season. A real shame as I have really enjoyed taking part in previous seasons.

Next season, hopefully Tongue

Up The Rebels!!!!

Fleetfan
Reserve Team Star

Sep 2, 2011, 1:00 PM

Team(s): Ebbsfleet Utd-Promotion Favourites Again! Charlton Ath- Desastre

Post #15 of 15 (37934 views)
Shortcut

Sorry Jim,missed the boat for this season as well.Same problems as mip.Hopefully there will be one next season

Matches Attended 2017 -18 :70
New Grounds 2017-18: 66

The Soccerlinks Hit List

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3