First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Fanatic
First Team Star

May 9, 2011, 9:38 PM

Team(s):

Post #1 of 32 (38066 views)
Shortcut
Women's World Cup Can't Post or Reply Privately

Just booked tickets for three matches at Möchengladbach, Bochum and Leverkusen - thought it would be a good chance to see the latter as I imagine it operates close to capacity most of the time.

Apparently all the Germany matches have sold out - good to see the hosts getting behind their team. I also wonder how Equatorial Guinea will fare in their group (with Brazil, Australia and Norway).

Anyone else got any plans to go over for it?

DavetheGlassboy
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 13, 2011, 12:02 AM

Team(s): Stourbridge FC, Warrington RLFC, Stourport HC

Post #2 of 32 (37929 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Fanatic] Women's World Cup [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Certainly am. Going over on the 27th and doing 5 games in 5 days at Wolfsburg, Leverkusen, Moenchengladbach, Bochum and Dresden. England games top and tail those (v Mexico & New Zealand).

Last new ground (844): Yarnton Lane - Kidlington v Didcot 4/9/19
Last game: Stourbridge v Stafford 5/10/19
Football seen in: England, Wales, Scotland, Italy, France, Germany, Denmark, Netherlands, Spain, Austria, Croatia, Jersey, Sweden, Switzerland, Republic of Ireland, United States of America, Ukraine, Montenegro, Estonia, San Marino, Slovenia, Northern Ireland, Malta, Lithuania, Russia, Belgium, Portugal

Fanatic
First Team Star

May 13, 2011, 11:53 AM

Team(s):

Post #3 of 32 (37893 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DavetheGlassboy] Women's World Cup [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Certainly am. Going over on the 27th and doing 5 games in 5 days at Wolfsburg, Leverkusen, Moenchengladbach, Bochum and Dresden. England games top and tail those (v Mexico & New Zealand).

I suspect you may well be doing the same three fixtures as myself?

Brazil vs Australia (Möchengladbach, 29th)
Canada vs France (Bochum, 30th)
Japan vs Mexico (Leverkusen, 1st)

DavetheGlassboy
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 13, 2011, 1:10 PM

Team(s): Stourbridge FC, Warrington RLFC, Stourport HC

Post #4 of 32 (37883 views)
Shortcut

Almost:

England v Mexico @ Wolfsburg 27/6
Colombia v Sweden @ Leverkusen 28/6

Then the Moenchengladbach and Bochum games you've mentioned.

Then England v New Zealand at Dresden on 1 July.

Last new ground (844): Yarnton Lane - Kidlington v Didcot 4/9/19
Last game: Stourbridge v Stafford 5/10/19
Football seen in: England, Wales, Scotland, Italy, France, Germany, Denmark, Netherlands, Spain, Austria, Croatia, Jersey, Sweden, Switzerland, Republic of Ireland, United States of America, Ukraine, Montenegro, Estonia, San Marino, Slovenia, Northern Ireland, Malta, Lithuania, Russia, Belgium, Portugal

sjosta
First Team Regular

Jun 26, 2011, 5:58 PM

Team(s): Groundhopper, ABE

Post #5 of 32 (35752 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DavetheGlassboy] Women's World Cup [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Opener on "Das Erste" at the moment; half time, the hosts 2-0 up on Canada. Angela Merkel's on at the mo trying to convince everybody that she's interested in football.

Football seen in: Scotland (268 grounds), England (969), Germany (289), Sweden (208), Netherlands (67), Wales (27), Ireland (S&N)(23/4), Austria (9), France (6), Denmark(5), Belgium(3),Italy(2), Luxembourg (2), Spain (2), Liechtenstein, Jersey, Switzerland, Canada
Figures correct(ish) at end of season 14-15 (1898 total)
For all your Fife needs:
Fife Junior History

(This post was edited by sjosta on Jun 26, 2011, 5:59 PM)

jon b
First Team Star

Jun 27, 2011, 1:05 PM

Team(s): SUFC, SWFC etc

Post #6 of 32 (35582 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sjosta] Women's World Cup [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

No doubt Sky Sports have live coverage, but there's also highlights on BBC2 at 11.50pm tonight of Mexico v England in their opening Group B fixture.

zebedee
First Team Star

Jun 27, 2011, 1:25 PM

Team(s): Southport

Post #7 of 32 (35576 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jon b] Women's World Cup [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
No doubt Sky Sports have live coverage, but there's also highlights on BBC2 at 11.50pm tonight of Mexico v England in their opening Group B fixture.

Its live on the BBC via the red button and on the website

(This post was edited by zebedee on Jun 27, 2011, 1:25 PM)

sjosta
First Team Regular

Jun 27, 2011, 7:42 PM

Post #8 of 32 (35526 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

No on German tv (Das Erste) Wouldn't give Murdoch the matter out my eye!

(This post was edited by sjosta on Jun 27, 2011, 7:44 PM)

Loiner
First Team Star

Jun 27, 2011, 8:58 PM

Team(s): None. A supporter of grassroots football

Post #9 of 32 (35513 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

All games are live on Eurosport! So they claimed during this evenings England game.

(This post was edited by Loiner on Jun 27, 2011, 8:58 PM)

jrev61
Man City Transfer Target!

Jun 28, 2011, 8:12 PM

Team(s): None

Post #10 of 32 (35301 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Loiner] Women's World Cup [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

All games are live on Eurosport! So they claimed during this evenings England game.

Not quite all games, but pretty good coverage nevertheless.
However next week the Tour de France starts, so that may interfere with the Women's World Cup coverage, although there are two Eurosport channels.

jrev61

Lars
Reserve Team Star

Jul 6, 2011, 10:24 PM

Team(s): Yeovil, Kettering

Post #11 of 32 (34299 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jrev61] Women's World Cup [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Nice to see people interesting in this event. :)
Sweden just defeated USA 2-1, in a match that perhaps could have been a draw as USA dominated 2nd half.

I don't recall how England has done, but I sure now you have a great player in Kelly Smith (is her name, isn't it).

sjosta
First Team Regular

Jul 7, 2011, 10:07 PM

Post #12 of 32 (34143 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Lars] Women's World Cup [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Hej Lars

Hur är det?

Don't agree regarding the USA. Think that they play to physically, much like their men's team.

Kom igen Sverige!

Football seen in: Scotland (268 grounds), England (969), Germany (289), Sweden (208), Netherlands (67), Wales (27), Ireland (S&N)(23/4), Austria (9), France (6), Denmark(5), Belgium(3),Italy(2), Luxembourg (2), Spain (2), Liechtenstein, Jersey, Switzerland, Canada
For all your Fife needs:
Fife Junior History

(This post was edited by sjosta on Jul 7, 2011, 10:08 PM)

Lars
Reserve Team Star

Jul 9, 2011, 7:48 PM

Post #13 of 32 (33801 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Hej Lars

Hur är det?

Don't agree regarding the USA. Think that they play to physically, much like their men's team.

Kom igen Sverige!

Hi! It's quite good, but had been better if England had defeated France. They just lost on penalty shots, being one ahead before missing their 4th and 5th. Great match however by the English girls, including a great goalie. And Kelly/Kellie Smith is just great, even though she stumbled around injured in the 2nd half of the match, after England had already made their substitures.

Heroic performance by the English women.

England and penalty shots... :(

Tommorow it's a big game for the Swedish women!

Fanatic
First Team Star

Jul 9, 2011, 11:58 PM

Team(s):

Post #14 of 32 (33757 views)
Shortcut

And Japan beat Germany (1-0, after extra time). Having seen the Japanese play live in the group stages, I had said that I thought they were the best team at the tournament, but in the early stages it looked like the Germans would overpower them. However, they managed to keep them at bay in the first half, and gradually came into the match more, before scoring in the second half of extra time (the German goalkeeper was probably partially at fault as she dived the wrong way to stop a shot at her near post). Apparently it is the first time the Germans have been beaten at a Women's World Cup since 1999, and Birgit Prinz (confined to the bench) did not look like a happy bunny.

In fairness, England didn't really deserve to win. Given the situation in extra time (no more subs and with Kelly Smith clearly injured) I thought they did very well to get through to penalties, but France were the better side.

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Jul 10, 2011, 12:50 AM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #15 of 32 (33744 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
England and penalty shots... :(

Even after today's game, they were mumbling on about the lottery of the penalty shootout. Which is clearly crap - it's not a lottery, it's a technique. And when it comes down to a test of technique - as in a shootout - teams from these islands are lacking I'm afraid. If only you could shoulder charge the keeper it would all be different..........Crazy

AndrewG
First Team Star

Jul 10, 2011, 9:17 PM

Team(s):

Post #16 of 32 (33585 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Women's World Cup [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Probably the most dramatic series of quarter-finals I can remember in an international tournament. Been glued to the tv all weekend - only Sweden's win over Australia could be described as anything like routine.

I'd usually be the last to support the USA in any kind of sporting event, but I was punching the air when they scored their last gasp equaliser, such was the injustice of what had gone before.

Lars
Reserve Team Star

Jul 11, 2011, 1:03 AM

Post #17 of 32 (33545 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
And Japan beat Germany (1-0, after extra time). Having seen the Japanese play live in the group stages, I had said that I thought they were the best team at the tournament, but in the early stages it looked like the Germans would overpower them. However, they managed to keep them at bay in the first half, and gradually came into the match more, before scoring in the second half of extra time (the German goalkeeper was probably partially at fault as she dived the wrong way to stop a shot at her near post). Apparently it is the first time the Germans have been beaten at a Women's World Cup since 1999, and Birgit Prinz (confined to the bench) did not look like a happy bunny.

In fairness, England didn't really deserve to win. Given the situation in extra time (no more subs and with Kelly Smith clearly injured) I thought they did very well to get through to penalties, but France were the better side.

I saw Germany-Japan too (on TV). Great team performance by the japs. Reminded me of a very well-known game (for us Swedes) vs Japan in some mens tournament in like the 1930s (no, I didn't watch it live), in which the japs were pretty much everywhere, doing everything to win. It is thought of as the perhaps biggest upset we've had. The japanese girls, however, didn't do THAT big of an upset, even though the Germans were favourites.

Japan is good, especially technically, but they lack size which gives them a disadvantage on corners and inlets.

Sweden has qualified for the Olympics! :) I heard Germany will miss the Olympics, altough I'm not 100 % sure about that.

Kelly Smith is great!

cope1

Jul 11, 2011, 9:03 AM

Post #18 of 32 (33451 views)
Shortcut

I enjoyed the England - France game and was very disappointed to see England lose. It made such a change from watching the men's team where, these days, I cannot find it in myself to support them with people like John Terry involved. The French team had most of the play but I'm not one for saying who 'deserves' to win - if you don't score goals when you're on top you don't deserve to win anymore than if you defend for 85 minutes. Anyway, I was very impressed by Bardsley in goal for England. Better than most of the keepers who've played for Arsenal men's team in recent years!

I'm disappointed at the level of coverage though. Perhaps its my perception but it seems less than for previous tournaments which is a shame because the football has been good.

Fanatic
First Team Star

Jul 11, 2011, 11:07 AM

Team(s):

Post #19 of 32 (33421 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cope1] Women's World Cup [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I'm disappointed at the level of coverage though. Perhaps its my perception but it seems less than for previous tournaments which is a shame because the football has been good.

Apparently the England game was only (even) shown on BBC2 after some outside intervention:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/...land-women-world-cup

Although the ref made some shocking decisions, I was disappointed to see the US go through last night, largely as I thought it would be hugely beneficial for the women's game for it to be guarateed that there will be a new name to be on the trophy.

jrev61

Jul 11, 2011, 5:32 PM

Team(s): None

Post #20 of 32 (33336 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cope1] Women's World Cup [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I enjoyed the England - France game and was very disappointed to see England lose. It made such a change from watching the men's team where, these days, I cannot find it in myself to support them with people like John Terry involved. The French team had most of the play but I'm not one for saying who 'deserves' to win - if you don't score goals when you're on top you don't deserve to win anymore than if you defend for 85 minutes. Anyway, I was very impressed by Bardsley in goal for England. Better than most of the keepers who've played for Arsenal men's team in recent years!

Virtually every game has been shown live on Eurosport.
I didn't want the Americans to win either, but Brazil's gamesmanship was unacceptable, especially Erika who feigned injury, had two minutes of treatment, was carried off on a stretcher, then sprinted back onto the pitch. At least she got the booking she deserved, and USA scored in the time added on for her 'injury'.

jrev61

East Fork Utd
Reserve Team Regular

Jul 12, 2011, 11:47 PM

Post #21 of 32 (32990 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jrev61] Women's World Cup [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Sunday's Brazil-USA match marked one of the few times a neutral crowd seemed to be pulling for the Stars and Stripes. The two teams that have impressed me the most consistently throughout the tournament have been Sweden and Japan. France have looked better overall than the USA have. Still, everything can change game to game and and we saw Saturday, minute to minute. Aside from Sweden's win over Australia in the quarterfinals, the other three certainly did not lack for compelling drama. Should be fun to see what happens Wednesday. Just like the quarterfinals, I could see any of the four advancing to the title game Sunday.

sjosta
First Team Regular

Jul 13, 2011, 7:06 PM

Post #22 of 32 (32773 views)
Shortcut
Re: [East Fork Utd] Women's World Cup [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

For General information: USA beat France 3:1 in the first semi at Mönchengladbach. 1-1 at half time, with the Americans scoring two in the last 15 mins.

Oh dear; Sweden 3-1 down against Japan with 15 minutes to go. 1-1 at half time, the Swedish keeper forced to play the sweeper on two occasions, only for her to turn back both times to watch the ball roll into the net; the second time from a lob from 10 yds from half way.

And that's how it ended; two Japanese players played the ball around at the Swedish corner flag for the last7 or 8 minutes, and the Swedes couldn't whelk the ball out to put any pressure on the Japanese goal; or half really.

Should be an interesting final though; although I think that American power will carry the day.

For all your Fife needs:
Fife Junior History

(This post was edited by sjosta on Jul 13, 2011, 9:41 PM)

Lars
Reserve Team Star

Jul 13, 2011, 9:55 PM

Post #23 of 32 (32717 views)
Shortcut

Japan's win over Sweden 3-1 was fairly deserving, don't you think? Like 17-2 in scoring chances (or if it was shots on goal) to the Japanese girls. Total domination.

Let's hope Sweden takes bronze.
Regarding the final, I would like Japan to win, although USA have a Swedish coach.

Don't forget England defeated Japan in the group stage (although Japan already was secure finishing top 2 in the group). Sad to see England lose vs France. Kelly/Kellie Smith is great. The goaltender was good too.

sjosta
First Team Regular

Jul 15, 2011, 4:58 PM

Post #24 of 32 (32540 views)
Shortcut

Yes Japan were fairly woeful against England. Tactical game? Tiredness? Who knows.

For all your Fife needs:
Fife Junior History

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Jul 15, 2011, 6:11 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #25 of 32 (32529 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Yes Japan were fairly woeful against England. Tactical game? Tiredness? Who knows.

They took a day off as they'd already qualified so the opposite of tiredness.............CBA. And it's worked for them.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3