Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: Non-League Football Discussion: Restructuring Discussion:
Another completely blank sheet.....

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Andrelux
First Team Regular

May 11, 2011, 6:06 PM

Team(s): Brentford (for my sins - obviously done something really bad in a past life

Post #26 of 43 (1885 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PaulC] Another completely blank sheet..... [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

A sad but unavoidable fact is that for Cleator Moor Celtic and/or Kirkbymoorside to have less travel, they'd have to find a bunch of 11 sheep to play along the way.

My personal view is that a step (call it step 4, call it step 5) should be ring-fenced (I'm thinking 9 or 10 regions, 12 at most) and that it should not necessarily be about levels of play, but a combination of that and distances. So sadly Cleator Moor Celtic would have to play some sheep, but many South East step 5 teams would go down a step. Not a long term problem, as the number of teams relegated out of a national league into a regional league would eventually even themselves out. And I have no issue with London step 6 being of a higher standard than northern step 5, for example. It all comes out in the wash.

ladderman
Man City Transfer Target!

May 11, 2011, 6:46 PM

Team(s): Bishop's Stortford & Cambridge United

Post #27 of 43 (1869 views)
Shortcut
Re: [blackdouglas] Another completely blank sheet..... [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To
This will probably be unpopular with some, but I would merge the Kent Premier and Sussex Leagues together.

Really ? - Pagham to Deal for a league game involving a 270 mile round trip and the best part of 5 hours (on a good day) on the road.

Once a season each, and doesn't this already happen in the North and Midlands anyway? Just evening things out.

Fantastic logic: There are some stupidly long trips already happening in Step 5, so we should create some more to even things out.

AdamKing
Junior Team Star

May 11, 2011, 7:25 PM

Team(s): Arsenal, Gloucester City, Cambridge United

Post #28 of 43 (1856 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ladderman] Another completely blank sheet..... [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Either further journeys or more leagues below Step 4.

You'll have arguments for and against: Look how far Westfields have to travel each season in the MFA.

Heck, Pegasus Juniors had to travel over to Berkshire and Oxfordshire on most weekends in the league season when they were playing away.

I didn't hear many complaints from them, they just got on with it despite having the greatest travel costs in their leagues.

Maybe ring-fencing by county is a way forward, but even then you will get areas of overspill and unhappy or dissenting voices.

You can't please all the people all the time.

Your Talents Are The Wings Your Dreams Will Use To Fly

Darren Lovell
First Team Star

May 11, 2011, 8:53 PM

Team(s): Maidstone United

Post #29 of 43 (1844 views)
Shortcut
Re: [AdamKing] Another completely blank sheet..... [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Surely the reason for more Step 4 and 5 teams in the South East than other parts of the country is density of populatiion? Towns and cities are geographically close to each other each with significant sizes of population. There are 7 or 8 million people in London alone. There is barely a town worthy of the name in Kent without a senior football club.

Next season's Isthmian League Division 1 South could have 8 Kent teams in it:
Chatham
Faversham
Folkestone
Hythe
Maidstone
Ramsgate
Sittingbourne
Whitstable

There are also Ebbsfleet, Bromley, Dartford, Dover, Tonbridge, Welling, Cray and Margate playing above this level (plus one Football League club - Gillingham) meaning that there are 17 clubs at Step 4 and above in the county, 16 of which are non league clubs.

Kent has two "county" leagues at the moment. The Kent League (Step 5) and the Kent County League (Step 7) The KCL is the league that is administered via the KCFA meaning that it is the de-facto county league. Of course, there is the new Step 6 competition that will start next season as well! In my opinion, some posters on this forum just seem to get hung up on the name of the Step 5 competition rather than anything else!

I am sure that many other counties in the country have as many non league clubs based within them but is there any compelling reason why any of these Kentiish towns should not have a football club playing at a good level in the pyramid? High popultion numbers equal plenty of towns. Plenty of towns equal lots of football clubs.

With at least 32 senior (Step 5 or above) clubs in one county, is it any wonder that for some clubs that travelling distances are a little lower than other parts of the country?

Grounds Visited 313
Last New Ground: Scunthorpe United
Last Game: Plymouth Argyle 3-0 Walsall
EFL 2 24.08.19
Games In Season 2019-20: 15
New Grounds This Season: 1
Goals This Season: 46
Ave goals per game: 3.07

PonteCarlo
First Team Star

May 13, 2011, 10:30 AM

Team(s): Grimsby Town, Pontefract Collieries

Post #30 of 43 (1802 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Darren Lovell] Another completely blank sheet..... [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

But despite the amount of numbers of football clubs in Kent, has it not been mentioned previously on this forum that not all of them have got the required grading? A bit unbelievable if there are so many clubs in the area of a good standard and from towns of a decent size.

Proud spectator of real football.

Hop, hop, hopping on heaven's door

acmold

May 13, 2011, 10:32 AM

Post #31 of 43 (1799 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PonteCarlo] Another completely blank sheet..... [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To
But despite the amount of numbers of football clubs in Kent, has it not been mentioned previously on this forum that not all of them have got the required grading? A bit unbelievable if there are so many clubs in the area of a good standard and from towns of a decent size.

I think our old friends the NIMBY's who have friends on the local planning committees may have something to do with that.

Darren Lovell
First Team Star

May 13, 2011, 1:25 PM

Team(s): Maidstone United

Post #32 of 43 (1764 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PonteCarlo] Another completely blank sheet..... [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

All of the Kent clubs at Step 4 and above have the necessary grading for the level that they play at. However, in Step 5, in my PERSONAL opinion, the grounds at Holmesdale (Holmesdale and Greenwich Borough) and Corinthian have a generous attitude towards the grading their facilities hve received.

The problem with facilities/gradings are in the main at Step 6/7 and below, hence the 4 year period given to the teams in the new Step 6 competition to achieve the required grading which is applied in the rest of the country.

Grounds Visited 313
Last New Ground: Scunthorpe United
Last Game: Plymouth Argyle 3-0 Walsall
EFL 2 24.08.19
Games In Season 2019-20: 15
New Grounds This Season: 1
Goals This Season: 46
Ave goals per game: 3.07

PonteCarlo
First Team Star

May 13, 2011, 1:29 PM

Team(s): Grimsby Town, Pontefract Collieries

Post #33 of 43 (1760 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Darren Lovell] Another completely blank sheet..... [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I think my point was that you were trying to make a point that Kent had probably the largest amount of football teams in one county - yet West Yorkshire has two separate leagues with three divisions each (not to mention the reserve sections of these leagues too) and yet all the clubs at Step 5-6 within that county have grounds that are up to scratch.

Proud spectator of real football.

Hop, hop, hopping on heaven's door

Moorsider
First Team Star

May 13, 2011, 2:52 PM

Team(s): Kirkbymoorside (Wearside League)

Post #34 of 43 (1746 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PonteCarlo] Another completely blank sheet..... [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I think my point was that you were trying to make a point that Kent had probably the largest amount of football teams in one county - yet West Yorkshire has two separate leagues with three divisions each (not to mention the reserve sections of these leagues too) and yet all the clubs at Step 5-6 within that county have grounds that are up to scratch.

Well - apart from a few potholes in approach roads. Or is that classed as mining subsidence Eddie Wink

Andrelux
First Team Regular

May 16, 2011, 3:49 PM

Team(s): Brentford (for my sins - obviously done something really bad in a past life

Post #35 of 43 (1682 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Moorsider] Another completely blank sheet..... [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

OK... so the sheet is not completely blank, since I can't change steps 1 to 4 and levels 1 to 4.

The problem is that there is a southward creep, simply because there are more step 5 leagues in the South than in the North and Midlands. This percolates through to steps 4, 3 and 2.

With an amount of realism, since no-one is in favour of relegating themselves, and being unable to do anything further up the chain, rather than seek to decrease the number of step 5 leagues from 14 to 12, I would instead increase them to 18. The four additional step 5 leagues would mainly be in the North and Midlands... So from North West Counties, NCE, Northern League and Midland Alliance, I would double the number of step 5. That'd make 8 northern & midlands, 10 south & west, which seems about right.

If I could change one thing from step 4, I would have 4 relegated from each, which leaves 24 promotion places and means champions and six others from step 5 eligible for promotion. If a team from step 4 went under, rather than reprieve a releagated club, I would add an extra promotion place. Top four from each of the step 5 leagues (now 18 of them) eligible for promotion, with the slots filled (a) by champions, if they have chosen to move up (b) runners-up, if the champions have not applied to move up, then (c) points per game, until all slots are filled, as long as the team has finished in the top 4.

The main difference would not be in the South & West, since the same step 5 leagues would continue to exist. In the North and Midlands, well the Northern League would probably choose to remain where they were (they always do...), but North West Counties, Northern Counties East and Midland Alliance (plus possibly the northernmost UCL) could be thrown up into the air to make seven divisions. In any case, we'll need eight. So quite a few promotions from step 6 to step 5 in the North and Midlands. But no demotions in the South and West.

With more north and midlands step 5 leagues, the gradual southward drift might be halted. I would also put a geographic ringfence at step 6, which would each begin wih county premier divisions. I'm open to offers as to whether step 5 should also be ring fenced.

brianpoole
Junior Team Sub

May 16, 2011, 4:49 PM

Team(s):

Post #36 of 43 (1663 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pitch 63] Another completely blank sheet..... [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
It will never happen - too many vested interests, particularly amongst the individual leagues and county FA's officers and councillors. Personally I am in favour of forming a Division made up solely of clubs from Cornwall and Northumria, and another Division with just clubs from Kent and Cumbria, plus a division from all the counties in between; this third division would be called the Midland Division and may or may not include clubs from Wales, the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man and Lundy.

Nice one pitch 63!
And how about throwing in a league made up of teams from Wales (anything below Welsh Prem) and Scotland (anything below Scottish Prem) where attendances, and probably standards too, look like they ought to be in Step 5 or 6?

AdamKing
Junior Team Star

May 16, 2011, 8:43 PM

Team(s): Arsenal, Gloucester City, Cambridge United

Post #37 of 43 (1630 views)
Shortcut
Re: [brianpoole] Another completely blank sheet..... [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Brian, interesting that you should say that.

If you take a look at my post on the 'fantasy league' thread, I've done a league based on a few South Wales, Gloucestershire and Herefordshire clubs forming a Western League N&W League at Step 6.

Your Talents Are The Wings Your Dreams Will Use To Fly

cinque porter
Junior Team Regular

May 17, 2011, 7:55 AM

Post #38 of 43 (1567 views)
Shortcut
Re: [blackdouglas] Another completely blank sheet..... [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To
This will probably be unpopular with some, but I would merge the Kent Premier and Sussex Leagues together.

Really ? - Pagham to Deal for a league game involving a 270 mile round trip and the best part of 5 hours (on a good day) on the road.

Once a season each, and doesn't this already happen in the North and Midlands anyway? Just evening things out.

Fine in theory ,less if you look at the road map and even worse if you attempt a journey on a Tuesday evening. Hythe to Hastings is a trip often made for non-football reasons but you try doing it in under an hour and it is only 30 miles. A Saturday trip to Peacehaven from Hythe also took us 3 hours and so if you had Deal at Pagham it is an afternoon off work which is a big ask for County league players. The trouble is that there are no fast roads going acrossways--bloody Romans.

cope1

May 17, 2011, 11:45 AM

Post #39 of 43 (1539 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cinque porter] Another completely blank sheet..... [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

These Tuesday night games are often quoted as being problematic. To my mind the leagues should be small enough not to need them, or at least so that there are few enough for it not to be an issue. Aside from that, isn't quoting the longest journey in a league on a Tuesday night really a way of plying the facts to prove your point? Most journeys won't be as long and I'm sure the fixtures man will try to avoid putting the longest journey on a week night. We have end of season double headers in the SAL but the unspoken rules are that north plays north, south plays south, west plays west etc.

Andrelux
First Team Regular

May 17, 2011, 3:19 PM

Post #40 of 43 (1494 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cope1] Another completely blank sheet..... [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Hear, bloody hear.

18 team divisions... few midweek matches... travel is manageable.

Since I have a blank piece of paper, I would also like to use it to draw a functioning AK 47 on it which I can use the next time someone points out the maximum distance of travel they might potentially have. Yes, it's true, draw a line between yourselves and the furthest club in your league, and it's a fair distance.

But guess what? You're not going to be playing them every week. An away trip once a season would be my guess. And there's an awful lot more shorter trips along the way. Plus, of course, half the season which will be home games. If you've got a 30 or at most 34 league games per season, you're mainly going to be playing weekends anyway.

Otherwise, stay in your small area, only play teams within 10 miles, have a 22 team/42 match championship, and then complain about the standard of the opposition.

Now, where was my Kalashnikov?

(This post was edited by Andrelux on May 17, 2011, 3:33 PM)

cope1

May 17, 2011, 5:08 PM

Post #41 of 43 (1459 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Andrelux] Another completely blank sheet..... [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Can I have a go when you're finished? Wink

I know what people mean, but it's a bit of a cliché to drop in the longest distance in conjunction with a Tuesday. As noted, the longest journeys can be reserved for weekends. If the league don't do that then that's a whole different problem.

As for the N/M/SE numbers issue, adding 4 in the north and mids seems the only sensible solution. There seems little point making the southerners travel further "just so they know what it's like up north" when you could just reduce the travelling for the northerners.

blackdouglas
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 19, 2011, 1:32 PM

Team(s): See signature for clubs

Post #42 of 43 (1320 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Another completely blank sheet..... [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I'm not sure if it's this thread where I advocated reducing the Step 5 divisions in the London/Home Counties from 5 into 3, but having looked at a reduction to both 3 and 4 divisions I've reconsidered and recommend 4 divisions at Step 5. The boundaries to the 4 footprints would fall roughly along the paths of the River Thames in the east, A1(M) to the north, M4 to the west, and M23/A23 in the south.

Northwood, Threave Rovers, Arsenal, Rangers (the real ones, NOT qpr),Watford, Rochdale, queen of the south and a few others.

chienmort
First Team Sub

May 28, 2011, 9:36 AM

Team(s): Poole Town FC, Queens Park RANGERS.

Post #43 of 43 (1225 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mad Bill] Another completely blank sheet..... [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Mike Avery has a novel suggestion the looks like it could work. Click here for details.

It suggests that the Conference will not change so we have to make the pyramid fatter from Step 3 down.

It is a 1,2,6,18.32,96 structure.

Step 3 is reorganised into 6 leagues with a further 18 at Step 4. These two levels are made up from combining steps 3,4 & 5.

The new step 5 would be 32 divisions with 96 at step 6.

Any thoughts?

Poole Town FC - les couilles du chien

(This post was edited by chienmort on May 28, 2011, 9:37 AM)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3