First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Astle68
Youth Team Regular

Mar 24, 2011, 6:21 PM

Team(s): WBA+ Chester FC

Post #1 of 28 (5258 views)
Shortcut
Whats the worst groups you have seen live Can't Post or Reply Privately

Starbase supporting the Stranglers in 2008, they had a hoover on stage at one point.

Matches watched 200

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Mar 24, 2011, 6:56 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #2 of 28 (5254 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Astle68] Whats the worst groups you have seen live [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Wayne - or was it Jayne at that point? - County and the Electric Chairs at Reading. I think they lasted two songs before the bottles flew...........

Bantam Cymraeg
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 24, 2011, 7:07 PM

Team(s): Bradford City

Post #3 of 28 (5252 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Whats the worst groups you have seen live [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Meatloaf was one of the support acts for the Deep Purple reunion at Knebworth in 1985. He'd been involved in a car accident (I think) a few weeks earlier, and took to the stage wearing a full length pot on his leg. He stomped around waving his hanky for a few songs, and people were just laughing at him. It had been raining and the stage must have been a bit wet, and he ended up falling on his ample backside and couldn't get up again. Biggest cheer of the day Sly. After he had been helped to his feet he stomped off stage. Not sure if his set was supposed to finish then, but it did. Pompous, pretentious, overblown tub of lard.

martin55
First Team Sub

Mar 24, 2011, 7:13 PM

Team(s):

Post #4 of 28 (5246 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Whats the worst groups you have seen live [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Wayne - or was it Jayne at that point? - County and the Electric Chairs at Reading. I think they lasted two songs before the bottles flew...........

Was still Wayne then. Only stopped coz the drummer gave up, being unable to hide unlike the guitaists who were playing from behind the amp stacks.

Quite amusing to watch though.

Can you remember who you were, before they told you who you should be?

Tim
Man City Transfer Target!

Mar 24, 2011, 10:48 PM

Team(s): Stourbridge, Welton Rovers

Post #5 of 28 (5220 views)
Shortcut
Re: [martin55] Whats the worst groups you have seen live [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

A very early incarnation of Japan, supporting Blue Oyster Cult at Birmingham Odeon in about 1976.

buncranaboy

Mar 24, 2011, 11:10 PM

Post #6 of 28 (5214 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tim] Whats the worst groups you have seen live [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
A very early incarnation of Japan, supporting Blue Oyster Cult at Birmingham Odeon in about 1976.

Blimey - I think I was at that too. BOC were about the loudest band I've ever seen!

richiejenn
First Team Star

Mar 25, 2011, 3:35 PM

Team(s):

Post #7 of 28 (5174 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bantam Cymraeg] Whats the worst groups you have seen live [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I saw his at Wembley Arena 10 years ago and it was shite. Minf youm the Who and Eric Clapton at Hyde Park was awful.

Stand out worst music concert was Mick Ronson tribute at Hammersmith. Rolf Harris was a highlight!!!!

colpic
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 25, 2011, 3:53 PM

Team(s): Scotter United (Scunthorpe League), AFC Telford(home town club),

Post #8 of 28 (5171 views)
Shortcut
Re: [richiejenn] Whats the worst groups you have seen live [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Sade - Albert Hall mid 80s. More dead than live.

Where's the 'ignore this poster' button?

philglossop
Youth Team Star

Mar 26, 2011, 6:47 PM

Team(s):

Post #9 of 28 (5101 views)
Shortcut
Re: [colpic] Whats the worst groups you have seen live [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Easy. Boy band called A1 at GAY club in London. Went with ex partner- they couldn't sing for toffee and clearly had a problem with appearing infront of a gay crowd (in a gay nightclub for fooks sake!)- most of the crowd heard 1 song sung so badly, they returned to the bar as quickly as possible.

Its the only group I've heard boos directed at a gig (the boos were more in tune than those 4 boys!)
Laugh

UKPunk

Mar 27, 2011, 6:14 PM

Post #10 of 28 (5023 views)
Shortcut
Re: [philglossop] Whats the worst groups you have seen live [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In the 1980's a mate of mine had a spare ticket to a gig for a guy called Steve Arrington. I've never been into dance music and only went along because it was free so didn't really expect to enjoy it. Unfortunately for Steve Arrington neither did anyone else as he was so poor boos rang around the Hammersmith Odeon at the end of the gig.

1-0-1-0-4-25-40-65-181-289=606

Last game: Mon 20/8/18
4. Basford United 1 Hednesford Town 2

VP

Mar 27, 2011, 7:37 PM

Post #11 of 28 (5013 views)
Shortcut
Re: [UKPunk] Whats the worst groups you have seen live [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
In the 1980's a mate of mine had a spare ticket to a gig for a guy called Steve Arrington. I've never been into dance music and only went along because it was free so didn't really expect to enjoy it. Unfortunately for Steve Arrington neither did anyone else as he was so poor boos rang around the Hammersmith Odeon at the end of the gig.

There must be something about the Odeon.
The worst band I ever saw was there supporting Doctor & the Medics and, I think, Rose Tattoo in 1986. Can't remember their name though - they may have been called 'Y', I can just remember they were dreadful. Boos aplenty for them.
And I was at that awful Reading festival when Meatloaf and Bonnie Tyler were amongst the headliners in 1988.
Looking at the festival archive from that year brings back some memories. Friday was good - The Seers, Fields of The Nephilim, The Godfathers, The Wonderstuff, The Ramones, Iggy Pop then it went tits up on the Saturday. Star Ship, Meatloaf, Bonnie Tyler, Gene Loves Jezebel, The Quireboys, Run Rig, two others I've never heard of and special guests Uriah Heep. Sunday was pretty poor as well. I remember purposely going to see Roachford play to try and broaden my musical taste. It didn't work.
The following year Reading festival got re-branded and had three days of great bands on.

Nice picture of the stage been cleaned after Bonnie Tyler had played! - http://www.ukrockfestivals.com/reading-88.html

(This post was edited by VP on Mar 27, 2011, 7:48 PM)

Jamesie
Deleted

Mar 28, 2011, 7:30 AM

Team(s):

Post #12 of 28 (4977 views)
Shortcut
Re: [VP] Whats the worst groups you have seen live [In reply to] Can't Post or

We went to see John Squire's (ex-Stone Roses) short-lived project The Seahorses at Nottingham Rock City in June 1997. I can't remember who the support band was, but we decided we'd give them a chance. They came out to muted applause and then started to wig out with some indie-lite-bland-jangly-crap, but we stuck around in the hope it would improve. It didn't. Midway through the second song they decided it would be good form to release the dry ice. Rock City was drowned in a thick fog - we went to the bar and were joined by everybody else. We were convinced they had decided enough was enough, fogged the place up and stuck a CD on, joining the rest of us in the bar.

But if you thought they stunk, Squire came out to mass applause and churned out the most annoying dross ever. Think pub-gig Jimmy Page wannabe, every song had a ten minute guitar solo, with everyone looking at each other in an uncomfortable way. We went to the bar and stayed there until closing. Unsurprisingly the bar got busier as the night went on...

Three years later we went to Leeds Uni - Regular Fries were supporting Ian Brown, they were alright. Then Monkey Man came on, opened with Billie Jean (as in Michael Jackson). From the moment he opened his mouth he was out of tune (even for him), and when he sang "Billie Jean's not my lover... schee - schee..." (sort of a sneezing noise) we looked at each other and said "f*** that" and decided to go for a curry. It was too bad even to go in the bar, it was dreadful. We still argue who was the worst - Squire or Brown. I'd like to think in my mind Ian Brown improved somewhat as the night went on... I doubt it though.

Just a note to anyone who is wondering, I am no longer a moderator of this forum due to current personal circumstances and work commitments. If you need help, contact leohoenig or Steve walker. Thank You.

StephenHarris
First Team Sub

Mar 28, 2011, 3:00 PM

Team(s): Leyton Orient, Hastings United, CA Huracan

Post #13 of 28 (4927 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Jamesie] Whats the worst groups you have seen live [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I walked out on The Cure at some festival or other in Finsbury Park – absolute rubbish. I regret to say too that I walked away from Madness at Glastonbury once in the mid-80s by which time they had gone from being the best band in the world to a sad parody of themselves. Carter turned out to be very disappointing live, just a karaoke act really. Most disappointing ever was perhaps a fairly recent incarnation of the Specials in Mile End Park – I so wanted them to still be in their ‘Ghost Town’ prime, but they weren’t. The Pogues have been brilliant, but also rubbish in the many times I’ve seen them, depending upon sobriety levels (theirs rather than mine). Chas & Dave might be the best pub singalong musicians ever, but they didn’t really set the world alight when they appeared at the Knebworth Festival. And I too saw Meat Loaf make a fool of himself in the same Knebworth field a few years later.

Garrincha's dog
First Team Star

Mar 28, 2011, 3:02 PM

Post #14 of 28 (4925 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Jamesie] Whats the worst groups you have seen live [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I take it then that no other poster has been unfortunate enough to see Bob Dylan in the last 15 years?

Tim

Mar 28, 2011, 3:44 PM

Team(s): Stourbridge, Welton Rovers

Post #15 of 28 (4915 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Garrincha's dog] Whats the worst groups you have seen live [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I take it then that no other poster has been unfortunate enough to see Bob Dylan in the last 15 years?

I have, in 1998, and he was all right. Van Morrison, however, in support, wasn't all right at all.

Mr. T
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 28, 2011, 4:20 PM

Post #16 of 28 (4906 views)
Shortcut
Re: [StephenHarris] Whats the worst groups you have seen live [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Chas & Dave might be the best pub singalong musicians ever, but they didn’t really set the world alight when they appeared at the Knebworth Festival.

Went to Knebworth in 78 and 79. Some pretty dreary support acts – Brand X, Atlanta Rhythm Section (78), Commander Cody's Lost Planet Airmen (no kidding) and a Slick-less Jefferson Airplane (79) were just dull, dull, dull...zzzz. Apparently Led Zep played in 79 but given that we were watching from the other end of Hertfordshire, it could have been anyone.

Tom Petty (78) was easily the best support act of those two festivals. Devo (also 78), although enjoyably quirky, were just out of place, though they didn't deserve their 'bottling'.

In the 'Best group' thread, Bantam Cymraeg mentions IQ. I saw them at the Penny Farthing in Oxford in 1985 and was most impressed. That venue had a reputation for good new bands so a few weeks later, on a recommendation, we went to see La Host. Never heard of before or since, they were described as 'art rock with a hard, progressive edge'. Yeeesssss, as Jeremy Paxman might say. Their costume was apparently inspired by Depeche Mode, David Sylvian and Wham!, their music by, well, I still can't place it now but syndrums featured monotonously, and their stage antics by Andy Pandy and Bill & Ben. In other words tuneless, talentless, effete, prancing ninnies. We left after 25 minutes and sunk a few in the King's Arms.

If there were a section for the most frightening gig, then I would give you Manchester International around 89-90: the Macc Lads. There was something in the air that night and it wasn't peace, love and harmony. The audience was a bizarre cross-section: punks, skinheads, bikers, Goths, headbangers and proto-chavs, all eyeing each other across the floor which was inches deep in beer and, well, other liquids. Nasty. One of our party, joining in the near-riot, fell down in the mire. We had a 20-mile drive home and we considered making him lie in the boot, such was the foul reek. And a Motorhead gig at the same venue at around the same time had been going quite well but threatened to turn nasty when a moron hurled a beer bottle at the stage and it lodged in the drum kit. Lemmy stopped mid-song and invited the audience to take the miscreant outside and "beat his ******* head in". Wot a charmer!

StephenHarris
First Team Sub

Mar 28, 2011, 4:28 PM

Team(s): Leyton Orient, Hastings United, CA Huracan

Post #17 of 28 (4903 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mr. T] Whats the worst groups you have seen live [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
If there were a section for the most frightening gig......

Ah. Most frightening gig.
A few of those. I'd nominate Conflict at one of the New Cross, SE London venues around about mid-90s. Police in riot gear. Not sure if the band actually even played a note (I mean on this particular occasion, rather than ever).
Also, the Red Skins, on the back of a truck somewhere in central London. 1980s. Some sort of demo, can't remember the details. Wall to wall nutters.

buncranaboy

Mar 28, 2011, 4:41 PM

Post #18 of 28 (4893 views)
Shortcut
Re: [StephenHarris] Whats the worst groups you have seen live [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
If there were a section for the most frightening gig......

Ah. Most frightening gig.
A few of those. I'd nominate Conflict at one of the New Cross, SE London venues around about mid-90s. Police in riot gear. Not sure if the band actually even played a note (I mean on this particular occasion, rather than ever).
Also, the Red Skins, on the back of a truck somewhere in central London. 1980s. Some sort of demo, can't remember the details. Wall to wall nutters.

999 at Barbarella's. You daren't catch anyone's eye.......

Garrincha's dog
First Team Star

Mar 28, 2011, 9:07 PM

Post #19 of 28 (4867 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mr. T] Whats the worst groups you have seen live [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
Chas & Dave might be the best pub singalong musicians ever, but they didn’t really set the world alight when they appeared at the Knebworth Festival.

Went to Knebworth in 78 and 79. Some pretty dreary support acts – Brand X, Atlanta Rhythm Section (78), Commander Cody's Lost Planet Airmen (no kidding) and a Slick-less Jefferson Airplane (79) were just dull, dull, dull...zzzz. Apparently Led Zep played in 79 but given that we were watching from the other end of Hertfordshire, it could have been anyone.

Tom Petty (78) was easily the best support act of those two festivals. Devo (also 78), although enjoyably quirky, were just out of place, though they didn't deserve their 'bottling'.

In the 'Best group' thread, Bantam Cymraeg mentions IQ. I saw them at the Penny Farthing in Oxford in 1985 and was most impressed. That venue had a reputation for good new bands so a few weeks later, on a recommendation, we went to see La Host. Never heard of before or since, they were described as 'art rock with a hard, progressive edge'. Yeeesssss, as Jeremy Paxman might say. Their costume was apparently inspired by Depeche Mode, David Sylvian and Wham!, their music by, well, I still can't place it now but syndrums featured monotonously, and their stage antics by Andy Pandy and Bill & Ben. In other words tuneless, talentless, effete, prancing ninnies. We left after 25 minutes and sunk a few in the King's Arms.

If there were a section for the most frightening gig, then I would give you Manchester International around 89-90: the Macc Lads. There was something in the air that night and it wasn't peace, love and harmony. The audience was a bizarre cross-section: punks, skinheads, bikers, Goths, headbangers and proto-chavs, all eyeing each other across the floor which was inches deep in beer and, well, other liquids. Nasty. One of our party, joining in the near-riot, fell down in the mire. We had a 20-mile drive home and we considered making him lie in the boot, such was the foul reek. And a Motorhead gig at the same venue at around the same time had been going quite well but threatened to turn nasty when a moron hurled a beer bottle at the stage and it lodged in the drum kit. Lemmy stopped mid-song and invited the audience to take the miscreant outside and "beat his ******* head in". Wot a charmer!

The same Mr Kilmister who occasionally posts on this forum.

davidp
Reserve Team Star

Mar 28, 2011, 9:09 PM

Team(s): Leek Town, Abbey Hulton United, Norton Utd (RIP), Brighton and Stoke City

Post #20 of 28 (4866 views)
Shortcut

Hole supporting Mudhoney in the Zap club in Brighton in 1989. Courtney Love had to be scraped offstage after collapsing from whatever drugs concoction she had taken. I followed her lead later on that night!

The Groundhog - the football ground travelog

Dynamo
Reserve Team Sub

Mar 31, 2011, 9:13 PM

Team(s): Shepshed

Post #21 of 28 (4748 views)
Shortcut
Re: [davidp] Whats the worst groups you have seen live [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Lloyd cole and the commotions would take some beating,Red wedge tour mid eighties....shocking

David Bowie -milton keynes bowl was probably the most boring

Ancient Wolf
Reserve Team Regular

Sep 22, 2011, 6:19 PM

Team(s): Middlesbrough and Norton and Stockton Ancients

Post #22 of 28 (3983 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dynamo] Whats the worst groups you have seen live [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

My sister saw Tommy Cooper supporting The Police in a circus tent at Tooting Common in the early 80's. Sad to say the great man was booed-off by the hordes of pre-pubescent girls.

Anyone else seen incongrous support acts.

Moorsider
First Team Star

Sep 23, 2011, 1:06 AM

Team(s): Kirkbymoorside (Wearside League)

Post #23 of 28 (3958 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ancient Wolf] Whats the worst groups you have seen live [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

An open air pop festival at Geleen in Holland some time in the late 70's (prob 1979) featured the Jack Bruce band who were simply dreadful. Alain Stivell with his folk/rock ensemble on the other hand were tremendous.

A genuine supporter of NON LEAGUE FOOTBALL

Games seen this season 169 (Last Season 186)
Last game Bardsey v Boroughbridge
(West Yorks League Cup @ Knaresboro)
Result 5 - 1
Grounds visited 93 (Last Season 83)
New grounds this season 28
Last new ground - Sunderland WE, South Hylton
Goals Seen 624 (Last Season 672)
Red Cards 21 (Last Season 39)
Miles travelled 12710.9 (Last Season 13987.5)

splodge
Chelsea Transfer Target

Sep 23, 2011, 10:08 PM

Post #24 of 28 (3906 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Moorsider] Whats the worst groups you have seen live [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Wedding Present when Seamonsters album was released were pretty cack. Support band Buffalo Tom were outstanding.

Funniest was Lauren Leverne's Kenickie playing Wedgwood Rooms the same night Charlton beating Sunderland in the play off final at Wembley and walking off stage after 3 songs cos a former poster kept shouting out "Charlton, Charlton."

Worst comedian I've seen was called Ian Cognito who was supporting Adam Hill.There's having a laugh at the audience expense but he was just pure abusive and literally got kicked off stage by some big boned Skinheads after 5 minutes

www.twitter.com/splodgey
www.facebook.com/paulsplodgeproctor

Siberian Monkey
Youth Team Star

Sep 27, 2011, 10:37 PM

Team(s): Lincoln C

Post #25 of 28 (3759 views)
Shortcut
Re: [splodge] Whats the worst groups you have seen live [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Unquestionably Supergrass... I prefer musicians who can play in time.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3