Applications to the Wessex

RRYFS
First Team Sub

Feb 16, 2011, 11:29 AM

Team(s): Leicester City, AFC Bournemouth, Hamworthy United

Post #1 of 14 (7954 views)
Shortcut
Applications to the Wessex Can't Post or Reply Privately

Word on the Dorset Forum is that Hamworthy Recreation are applying to the Wessex for 2011/12, having already agreed to take on the tenancy of Tatnam Farm when Poole Town move out to groundshare - supposedly either to Bournemouth Athletic Club, or if that fails, to Weymouth. I would think the Wessex would fall over themselves to welcome Rec, but as Weymouth Ressies are apparently going to the Wyvern League, it will leave the DPL a bit thin on quality, even if Shaftesbury come down.

totallyuntamed
First Team Star

Feb 16, 2011, 1:45 PM

Team(s): Solihull Moors

Post #2 of 14 (7907 views)
Shortcut
Re: [RRYFS] Applications to the Wessex [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

What exactly is the Wyvern League?

"There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Milletts".

Sarumio
Man City Transfer Target!

Feb 16, 2011, 3:08 PM

Team(s): Salisbury

Post #3 of 14 (7879 views)
Shortcut
Re: [RRYFS] Applications to the Wessex [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Word on the Dorset Forum is that Hamworthy Recreation are applying to the Wessex for 2011/12, having already agreed to take on the tenancy of Tatnam Farm when Poole Town move out to groundshare - supposedly either to Bournemouth Athletic Club, or if that fails, to Weymouth. I would think the Wessex would fall over themselves to welcome Rec, but as Weymouth Ressies are apparently going to the Wyvern League, it will leave the DPL a bit thin on quality, even if Shaftesbury come down.

Agree they will almost certainly accept Hamworthy Recreation fif their move to Tatnam Farm is confirmed, as the Wessex Division One is running short.

But can't see them relegating Shaftesbury - they've no reason to - given the lack of numbers....although that didn't stop the Western League relegating Minehead last season (for reasons I cannot fathom!) when they 3 less clubs in membership than the Wessex League!!!!

I don't know what the Dorset Premier League's relationship/agreements are with the Dorset Saturday League - whether the DPL would be allowed to take two from there or if the DSL would refuse this!

Tim

Feb 16, 2011, 4:01 PM

Team(s): Stourbridge, Welton Rovers

Post #4 of 14 (7854 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sarumio] Applications to the Wessex [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I believe Minehead wanted to take the drop.

RRYFS
First Team Sub

Feb 16, 2011, 6:07 PM

Post #5 of 14 (7808 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tim] Applications to the Wessex [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Taking points in order – I think the Wyvern League will be a new reserve league for this area. I know there was a meeting of Wessex clubs recently to decide on the future of the Combination for next season. As our Reserves play in the DPL, I haven’t heard what ensued. If the plot for Weymouth posted elsewhere happens, they may not exist next season anyway. That could also affect Poole Town’s supposedly signed up groundshare at the Wessex Stadium if their attempt to use the Athletics Stadium is turned down.
It has been rumoured more than once that Shaftesbury may wish to revert to the DPL. There was talk that the Brewery had pulled the plug on their bar, and financially they have been struggling despite their good facilities.

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Feb 17, 2011, 12:06 AM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #6 of 14 (7738 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Taking points in order – I think the Wyvern League will be a new reserve league for this area. I know there was a meeting of Wessex clubs recently to decide on the future of the Combination for next season. As our Reserves play in the DPL, I haven’t heard what ensued. If the plot for Weymouth posted elsewhere happens, they may not exist next season anyway. That could also affect Poole Town’s supposedly signed up groundshare at the Wessex Stadium if their attempt to use the Athletics Stadium is turned down.
It has been rumoured more than once that Shaftesbury may wish to revert to the DPL. There was talk that the Brewery had pulled the plug on their bar, and financially they have been struggling despite their good facilities.

Er, isn't Wyvern supposed to be the region between the rivers Wye and Severn ?

Dylan's Dad
Reserve Team Regular

Feb 17, 2011, 9:02 AM

Team(s): Gillingham

Post #7 of 14 (7684 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Applications to the Wessex [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

A wyvern is a type of heraldic dragon

La la la
La la la
Life is football
-- Robb Johnson

splodge
Chelsea Transfer Target

Feb 17, 2011, 2:18 PM

Post #8 of 14 (7595 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dylan's Dad] Applications to the Wessex [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

From Hampshire I believe Winchester Castle (subject to getting planning permission for lights) are applying.

www.twitter.com/splodgey
www.facebook.com/paulsplodgeproctor

Sarumio

Feb 17, 2011, 2:52 PM

Team(s): Salisbury

Post #9 of 14 (7578 views)
Shortcut
Re: [splodge] Applications to the Wessex [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
From Hampshire I believe Winchester Castle (subject to getting planning permission for lights) are applying.

First question - will the Hampshire Premier League allow Winchester Castle up if they don't win the league (or if they don't finish in the top 2).

Secondly - is it only Locks Heath and Liss Athletic that have floodlights in that division at present? And why did they both drop down. Are either likely to want to return to the Wessex in the near future? Ok not so much Liss, looking at their current position, but maybe Locks Heath....?

acmold

Feb 17, 2011, 3:32 PM

Post #10 of 14 (7563 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sarumio] Applications to the Wessex [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To
Secondly - is it only Locks Heath and Liss Athletic that have floodlights in that division at present? And why did they both drop down. Are either likely to want to return to the Wessex in the near future? Ok not so much Liss, looking at their current position, but maybe Locks Heath....?

Plus Sporting Bishops Waltham and AFC Aldermaston, 3 out of the bottom 5 in the division have lights.

Dr Love
Chelsea Transfer Target

Feb 17, 2011, 4:42 PM

Team(s): Halifax Town

Post #11 of 14 (7533 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] Applications to the Wessex [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Are Bishops Waltham in a similar position to Kintbury? They may have lights but don't use them, not bright enough to meet league standards?

splodge
Chelsea Transfer Target

Feb 17, 2011, 5:08 PM

Post #12 of 14 (7522 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dr Love] Applications to the Wessex [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I'll answer the questions on clubs to the best of my knowledge.

Locks Heath - Unlikely to be allowed to enclose the ground (local rec and shared with cricket club). When they were in the shortlived Wessex 3, Fareham Borough Council refused permission for a stand.

Liss Athletic - Not 100% sure but don't think they'll be allowed to put a stand up.

Sporting Bishops Waltham - Light's aren't strong enough.

AFC Aldermaston - I assume are looking to re-organise first before making an attempt at returning.

Winchester Castle - moving the pitch closer to the changing rooms and pavilion and have sent in application for funding for lights and planning permission.

QK Southampton are making noises too. Building an another enclosed ground at Millbrook rec but with Lights and going for the Wessex but in a couple of seasons time.

The only other side I can see with the potential for floodlights is AFC Stoneham who've moved to Pirelli's old ground which used to be floodlit (now removed)

www.twitter.com/splodgey
www.facebook.com/paulsplodgeproctor

ptfc_itk
Ballboy/girl

Feb 20, 2011, 10:30 PM

Team(s): Poole Town FC

Post #13 of 14 (7226 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

Again I feel compelled to dispell a few more myths from RRYFS from the wrong side of the bride.
At a guess, i would say you are close to the committee at HUFC, but a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.
Be careful of hearsay and assumption.

I am In The Know and can confirm:

1. The are no such discussions between PTFC and HRFC about Tatnam, nor has there been within my time with the club.
2. PTFC will NOT be entering into a groundshare with Weymouth.

A Poole Town perspective

RRYFS
First Team Sub

Feb 21, 2011, 10:55 AM

Post #14 of 14 (7167 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ptfc_itk] Applications to the Wessex [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

No, I don't think I'm very close to the Committee, though as I've been to more away than home matches this season, I obviously talk to them. I reported what I read on the Dorset Football Forum (albeit most of what is on there is scurrilous nonsense). I am on the WRONG side of the bridge, in fact on one occasion I missed the start of a Hammers game when the bridge jammed and wouldn't come down after the 14.30 lift, so I was stuck on Poole Quay!
The Weymouth bit I did hear at Hammers last home game, but just in the crowd - as we had just played PTFC, I assumed it came from your end. I can only say 4-1 to you - you can't begrudge us a little satisfaction once in a while, and if it was possible to play on Whitecliff Rec on Saturday, I don't know what you were doing.

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3