Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: Non Football Related: Other Sports:
Where are you going - where did you go? SPEEDWAY!!!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 16 Next page Last page  View All

Jamesie
Deleted

Jan 28, 2011, 4:06 PM

Team(s):

Post #1 of 390 (75731 views)
Shortcut
Where are you going - where did you go? SPEEDWAY!!! Can't Post or

Post here for all things Speedway...

Just a note to anyone who is wondering, I am no longer a moderator of this forum due to current personal circumstances and work commitments. If you need help, contact leohoenig or Steve walker. Thank You.

burgesshillbee
First Team Star

Mar 20, 2011, 9:53 PM

Team(s): Brentford

Post #2 of 390 (74751 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Jamesie] Where are you going - where did you go? SPEEDWAY!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Eastbourne 57 v 33 Poole Challenge Match Admission 16 Prog 2 Car Park 1

No in crease in prices here this season. The Eagles of Eastbourne ran out easy winners over the Poole Pirates who finished with just 4 riders. They only had 6 to start with R/R operating for the missing Pole before Davey Watt was injured in his first ride and Renat Gafurov was injured in his 3rd ride. Joonas Kylmakorpi top scored for Eastbourne with 11 + 2 and new signing Bjarne Pedersen scored 9+4. Dennis Andersson top scored for Poole with 12+2

Feversham Lens
First Team Star

Mar 21, 2011, 6:05 PM

Team(s): Not any more

Post #3 of 390 (74707 views)
Shortcut
Re: [burgesshillbee] Where are you going - where did you go? SPEEDWAY!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

You've just reminded me why I stopped watching the joke that speedway has become. First match of the season, and one of the clubs cannot even track a full team. Operating the rider replacement facility in March? Do me a favour! That same team then finishes the meeting with just four fit riders. What great value for £16!!

Small wonder one of the national broadsheet writers dubbed speedway the 500/500 sport. ie. Guys on 500cc bikes performing for 'crowds' of 500 people.

For sporting (and other) images, visit https://www.flickr.com/photos/feversham/

Ground/venue totals: Football 898; Rugby Union 260; Rugby League 213; Cricket 125; Speedway 53; Stock Cars 25; Grasstrack 15; Ice Hockey 15; Cycle Speedway 4; Greyhounds 2.

Andy D
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 22, 2011, 10:56 AM

Team(s): 1874 Northwich, Forfar Athletic, Castleford RLFC, Lancashire CCC,

Post #4 of 390 (74650 views)
Shortcut
Re: [burgesshillbee] Where are you going - where did you go? SPEEDWAY!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Eastbourne 57 v 33 Poole Challenge Match Admission 16 Prog 2 Car Park 1

I've just re-read this......16 and its not even a competitive fixture??

Rules of Groundhopping:

Rule 1 - There are no rules
Rule 2 - See rule 1.....

Wheelbarrow
First Team Star

Mar 26, 2011, 9:20 AM

Post #5 of 390 (74482 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Andy D] Where are you going - where did you go? SPEEDWAY!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Tickets just arrived for Leicester's opening fixture at their new track on 2nd April, a challenge v Sheffield.

burgesshillbee
First Team Star

Mar 27, 2011, 5:00 PM

Post #6 of 390 (74402 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Wheelbarrow] Where are you going - where did you go? SPEEDWAY!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Rye House 46 v 44 Sheffield PL Admission 16 Prog 2 Att 750 Est

After my trip to Biggleswade to see Bedford FC i took the short trip to Rye House to see them narrowly defeat Sheffield a team that in the past has not done that well at Rye House. Len Silver the Rye House promoter thinks they are in the Elite League as he now charges 16 the same as the higher Elite League. As usual the prog was overpriced. A decent match on a cold night Rye House were grateful to Chris Neath who rode a 5 ride maximum to ensure Rye House's league season started with a win. Josh Auty rode well for Sheffield but was unable to stop Chris Neath getting his maximum.

burgesshillbee
First Team Star

Apr 6, 2011, 8:00 PM

Post #7 of 390 (74042 views)
Shortcut

Eastbourne 54 v 39 Belle Vue Elite League Admission 16 Prog 2.00 Food 4.40 Att 1100 Est

The Eastbourne Eagles won their 3rd home match on the trot edging out a spirited Belle Vue side who kept it close until the last few heats when unfortunately for them their number 1 rider and unbeaten at the time Chris Harris suffered engine problems which cots Belle Vue at least a point. Belle Vue were well lead by Chris Harris and Rory Schlien and the Eagles were strong all round and deserved their win but probably by a sammler winning margin.

The Moose
First Team Star

Apr 10, 2011, 11:02 PM

Team(s):

Post #8 of 390 (73915 views)
Shortcut

FRI 8TH PREMIER LEAGUE

ZUMMERZET REBELS 59 IPSWICH WITCHES 34

ADM: 14 ATT: H/C 900 PROG: Free with admission

Well so much for the speedway star experts tipping the Witches to beat all before them this year! Mind you I was surprised that the Rebels managed to do the double over them so maybe they're in for a good season. Crowd up on the norm for OTA due in part to a fair few from Suffolk. One low point was the 'programme' which this year has become a four page scorecard. Poor form really and a tad amateurish compared to other racetracks. Still at least on the shale they appear to be more professional this season!

KRTM Cool

youngster
Chelsea Transfer Target

Apr 12, 2011, 11:07 AM

Team(s):

Post #9 of 390 (73843 views)
Shortcut
Re: [The Moose] Where are you going - where did you go? SPEEDWAY!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
FRI 8TH PREMIER LEAGUE

ZUMMERZET REBELS 59 IPSWICH WITCHES 34

ADM: 14 ATT: H/C 900 PROG: Free with admission

Well so much for the speedway star experts tipping the Witches to beat all before them this year! Mind you I was surprised that the Rebels managed to do the double over them so maybe they're in for a good season. Crowd up on the norm for OTA due in part to a fair few from Suffolk. One low point was the 'programme' which this year has become a four page scorecard. Poor form really and a tad amateurish compared to other racetracks. Still at least on the shale they appear to be more professional this season!

KRTM Cool

At least it was free, saved me doing my own for a change. Great racing as always at the OTA. We then had the shock of our lives on Saturday night, a well prepared track at Newport, been there a few times before and the racing has been crap, but this was really good stuff. Helped by the fact the Witches got back to winning ways.
Newport 42-50 Ipswich
Adm 15 Prog 2 (didn't bother).
Att 500-600.

Dynamo
Reserve Team Sub

Apr 16, 2011, 10:49 AM

Team(s): Shepshed

Post #10 of 390 (73684 views)
Shortcut
Re: [youngster] Where are you going - where did you go? SPEEDWAY!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Anyone been Leicester yet?

Wheelbarrow
First Team Star

Apr 17, 2011, 11:30 AM

Post #11 of 390 (73643 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dynamo] Where are you going - where did you go? SPEEDWAY!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Anyone been Leicester yet?

Yes, I went to the first meeting against Sheffield.

Probably not the best meeting to judge the place on given the fact it was rammed (4500 at least) and they are still finishing some of the finer points of the stadium but overall very impressive.

There is a car park by the stadium for 250ish cars but beyond that you can use the Beaumont Leys shopping centre car park which is just in front of the stadium and 5-10 minutes walk from the entrance.

There are small, seated, covered stands either side of the start/finish area and a covered, raised terrace the full length of the back straight. On the curves there is banked standing which is also raised above track level improving the view.

We didn't get a great view from the third bend as we arrived about 7pm so it was already packed but as I say I think this is a one off and there is talk on the speedway forum that the banking will be improved.

The track was a bit slick and the management have admitted it hadn't bedded down quite as they would have liked, but they are on the case to improve it. Even so, there seemed to be scope for a few lines of attack round it so with a bit more 'give' in it, it could be a good place to watch racing. There is a clip on the BSPA website of heat 13 from the Sheffield meeting of Sweetman managing to stay on his bike despite hitting the air fence on the third bend.

The surrounding areas are a bit of a work in progress with the narrow tarmac path to the turnstiles clearly VERY new but all these things will improve over the following weeks. There were some quibbles about the food/drinks inside the track but I didn't visit them so can't comment.

All in all, an excellent addition to the sport and I'll certainly be back for a few more meetings. There was a good atmosphere there and there is clearly still a groundswell of speedway support in/around the city so I don't think it will wither on the vine. The staff and helpers were all very friendly and enthusiastic too.

Red Robbo
First Team Star

Apr 17, 2011, 11:42 AM

Team(s): Local football in Herts and Beds

Post #12 of 390 (73637 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dynamo] Where are you going - where did you go? SPEEDWAY!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

LEICESTER LIONS, 52 v NEWCASTLE DIAMONDS 43
Admission; 15, Prog; 2.50, Coffee; 1.50

Went to Leicester v Newcastle last night. Impressed with what they've done with the place so far.

Parked in the shopping centre car park and walked to the stadium. As you enter the speedway entrance where the car park and bar is you can purchase your programme and in the bar meeting tickets.

As per a previous poster the track surface is probably going to get better over the season but on tonight's showing there was very little racing to speak of. This was the only disappointment of a visit to a potentially very good speedway circuit. I will probably visit again later in the season to see if the racing has improved.

I didn't make it to the gym today. That makes five years in a row.

Games seen in 2016/17: 54
Goals : 214
Goal less draws: 0

(This post was edited by Red Robbo on Apr 17, 2011, 11:48 AM)

burgesshillbee
First Team Star

Apr 17, 2011, 4:55 PM

Post #13 of 390 (73609 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Red Robbo] Where are you going - where did you go? SPEEDWAY!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Was also at Leicester Lions v Newcastle Diamonds having been to Wakefield for footie earlier. I aslo parked in the Shopping area Car Park though i did arrive early enough to park in the stadium car park. I purchased my ticket and programme up at the stadium. They have done well with the facilities so far but could do with improving the spectator banking on the bends so you can see properly and also the back straight terracing needs raising a few inches as well. I enjoyed the meeting despite the lack of passing though the track record was broken 4 times in the first 5 heats. The one down side was the Hot Dog I brought the sausage was fine but the roll just fell apart as soon as it was touched !!

The Moose
First Team Star

Apr 17, 2011, 5:12 PM

Team(s):

Post #14 of 390 (73606 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Red Robbo] Where are you going - where did you go? SPEEDWAY!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Another one at LEICESTER LIONS v NEWCASTLE DIAMONDS last night.

After experiencing the delightful Eastwood Town in the afternoon I wasn't expecting much of a new design speedway track. Based upon Redcar, Plymouth, Zummerzet, Weymouth etc. over the last ten years or so a lot of new tracks tend to open with the bare minimum to start with. Credit where it's due then to Leicester for trying to open with the new Beaumont Leys arena with decent enough facilities from the off.

As mentioned above there are around 300 seats on one side and a full length cover on the other. Clearly the track has been dug out and built up at both ends to provide banking for the masses. Last night was the third meeting and the crowd was down on night one to around 1,600 to 1,700 so it works okay for that size of attendance. They got their first win so if they can keep that up they've a good chance of maintaining a decent average crowd with a few ex Long Eaton fans also taking an interest.

Well happy with the Spring sunshine giving me the chance to re-complete the 'Speedway 28' once again. Think I'm right in saying that's how many tracks are in use this year albeit I've now managed to see shale action at 53 British tracks over the years. Good to see the Lions back in action although it did make me feel old when I realised it's been over 30 years since I last saw them at Blackbird Road!!

KRTM Cool

Dynamo
Reserve Team Sub

Apr 17, 2011, 7:44 PM

Team(s): Shepshed

Post #15 of 390 (73577 views)
Shortcut
Re: [The Moose] Where are you going - where did you go? SPEEDWAY!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Cheers for the replies everyone.
Was talking to someone at the footy yesterday who is involved with Leicester speedway and he mentioned how well it was going. He did say alot of improvements in facilities etc are still to take place and that they had encountered the odd teething problem , which i guess is to be expected. I did hear that Long Eaton will be using the track , until they get there own place.Last night may have been the 1st time ?

I'll have to give it a try sometime as i live locally, a win will hopefully keep the crowds up.

The Moose
First Team Star

Apr 22, 2011, 7:48 PM

Team(s):

Post #16 of 390 (73383 views)
Shortcut

Thurs 21st: ELITE LGE - SWINDON ROBINS 42 BIRMINGHAM BRUMMIES 51

ADM: 16 PROG: 2.50 ATT: 1,400 H/C

Oh dear! tiz going to be a long, long season for the Moonraker shale action crew methinks. Brummies also expected to struggle in their first season back at top level looked comfortable from start to finish really. There was more passing in the first three races than the whole of last Saturday night at Leicester but to be fair the track needs to bed in there whereas Blunsdon has been around since 1948. Enjoyed the meeting nonetheless as you always seem to get decent racing here. Difficult to see where 'Big Ron' goes from here having already changed the side round and it not really helped!

KRTM Cool

southend statto
First Team Star

Apr 23, 2011, 4:34 PM

Team(s): most of my local sides

Post #17 of 390 (73333 views)
Shortcut

Good Friday and my first double!
Although tight, I honestly though Lakeside Hammers would win their home clash against Eastbourne Eagles in the Elite League, but right at the death the Eagles snatched a 4-2 to win 46-44.
Following this it was the National League fixture between Hackney Hawks and Stoke Potters. Although the Potters won the first race 4-2, the Hawks were never in danger, winning the match 53-41.

burgesshillbee
First Team Star

Apr 24, 2011, 10:45 PM

Post #18 of 390 (73246 views)
Shortcut

Also attended Swindon 43 v 52 Birmingham Elite League.

A decent meeting with plenty of passing. Remarkable how far downhill Swindon have gone since Ronnie Russell got involved with Swindon.

On Friday after attending the Bickleigh match on the SWPL Hop we then went to

Somerset 62 v 32 Scunthorpe Premier League Admission 14 including Racecard. Car Park 1 Burger and Chips 4.40 i think Crowd 850 est.

Scunthorpe won the first heat 5-1 and that was as good as it gets for them with Somerset winning all the other heats, not the best of meetings but heats 13 and 15 were good with Cory Gathercole passing Scunthorpe's David Howe on the last lap in both races.

sandhurstbee
Man City Transfer Target!

Apr 29, 2011, 11:58 PM

Team(s): Brentford, Sandhurst Town and Most local Non League sides.

Post #19 of 390 (73016 views)
Shortcut

First meeting of the year and a new track for me Tuesday 26th April
Wolverhampton 56 Belle Vue 36 - Admission 16, Concessions 12 - Programme 2.50 - The scene was set with a 5-1 to the Home side in Heat 1 followed by a 4-2, Belle Vue hit back with a 4-2 in Heat 3 but had to wait until Heat 8 for their next win which brought the score back to 27-21. This was their only success and Wolves pulled away,winning the last two heats 5-1 to seal an emphatic 56-36 victory. Fredrik Lindgren led the way for Wolves with an 18 Point Maximum. Patrick Hougaard top scored for Aces with 10.

Last New Ground 2016/17 (15) 29/4/2017 HIGHMOOR/IBIS RESERVES 1 Mortimer 1 - Thames Valley premier league, Premier Division

burgesshillbee
First Team Star

Apr 30, 2011, 10:58 PM

Post #20 of 390 (72954 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sandhurstbee] Where are you going - where did you go? SPEEDWAY!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Eastbourne 24 v 12 Swindon Elite League Speedway Abandoned after 6 Heats due to Thuderstorm.

Despite it being a nice day in Sussex the evening turned out to be different with a few spits of rain occuring just before the start and then some gentle rain during the first 6 heats in which time Eastbourne had opend up a 12 point lead which included 2 heat wins for Lewis Bridger who in heat 2 started from 15M back and overtook everyone to win the heat, he also came from behind to beat Troy Batchelor in heat 4 however after a crash in heat 7 delayed things the gentle rain was replaced by torrential rain which lead to the meeting being abandoned.

burgesshillbee
First Team Star

May 3, 2011, 9:52 PM

Post #21 of 390 (72815 views)
Shortcut

Ipswich 49 v 47 Rye House Premier League Admission 15 Prog 2.50 Badge 3.50 Att 2000 Est

Decided to do a Speedway Double Header on Monday, firstly going to Ipswich who just won this match when it looked like they had snatched a Draw from the Jaws of Victory. The meeting was a bit slow to start not helped by a delay due to Rye House rider Luke Bowen crashing in Heat 2 and being withdrawn due to a hip injury. Ipswich opened up what looked like a match winning lead nof 13 points by Heat 10, but a spirited comeback by Rye House helped a bit by home rider Chris Mills going through the tapes in heat 14 saw Ipswich's lead reduced to 4 points with 1 race to go and for 3 3/4 laps Rye House had a 5-1 but a superb last bend by Lasse Bjerre who snatched second place for Ipswich to record a narrow win in what was an entertaining match, Man of the Meeting was Rye House's Jordan Frampton.

After this we travelled South to

Rye House 45 v 34 Ipswich Premier League Abandoned after 13 Heats due No Medical Cover Admission 16 Prog 2 Sausage & Chips 3.20 Att 600 Est

This second meeting was not the best and was affected by 2 bad injuries which in the end resulted in the meeting being abandoned though the score stands as 12 heats had been completed. Rye House slowly opened up a lead but in Heat 7 the first bad crash occured when Ipswich's Morten Risager crashed on the 4th bend although he was able to walk away from the crash he had badly damaged his hand and we had to wait for an ambulance to arrive to take him to hospital (It appears he may have severed a finger in the crash). The meeting carried on with Rye House extending their lead until Heat 13 when Rye House rider Jason Doyle crashed and dislocated his shoulder which needed another trip to hospital but with no local ambulances available the track Ambulance was needed and with it past 10 O'clock and another minimum delay of 45 minutes expected the referee abandoned the meeting. Young Ben Morley who had earlier had 7 rides in the afternoon did well in the evening scoring 6 + 1 Bous Point whilst Jordan Frampton carried on his winning ways being unbeaten in his 4 completed rides for 12 points. Home after dropping my friend off in Crawley just before midnight.

acmold
Man City Transfer Target!

May 4, 2011, 1:41 PM

Post #22 of 390 (72776 views)
Shortcut
Re: [burgesshillbee] Where are you going - where did you go? SPEEDWAY!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or

Did not go but watched VETLANDA 41 PIRATERNA 49 on Premier Sports last night, first meeting of the Swedish Elite season, they say they are going to show a live meeting each week. It was snowing !.

http://www.elitvetlanda.nu/...;stage=1&id=1830

Feversham Lens
First Team Star

May 8, 2011, 11:56 AM

Post #23 of 390 (72571 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] Where are you going - where did you go? SPEEDWAY!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Alarming noises already coming from the new speedway track at Leicester. Apparently, the crowds have been falling steadily from an opening meeting high of circa 4,000 - and the attendance for last night's defeat by a patched-up Redcar team was the lowest yet. Word is that, though the stadium is decent enough, the track surface is terrible, the racing processional, the team weak and entertainment virtually non-existent. A Redcar-supporting friend told me the Leicester promoter sounded "desperate" after the match last night.

I intend seeing only one speedway meeting this summer (used to be a supporter of the sport going back to the mid-1970s; gave up on its often laughable amateurishness two years ago), and it's going to be at Leicester, to 'tick' the place. Better go sooner rather than later, I'm now feeling. So, next Saturday (May 14th), I'll make the effort to see the Lions host Glasgow in the KO Cup, working it in with a day doing other things in the area.

Ground/venue totals: Football 898; Rugby Union 260; Rugby League 213; Cricket 125; Speedway 53; Stock Cars 25; Grasstrack 15; Ice Hockey 15; Cycle Speedway 4; Greyhounds 2.

burgesshillbee
First Team Star

May 8, 2011, 3:28 PM

Post #24 of 390 (72553 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Feversham Lens] Where are you going - where did you go? SPEEDWAY!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Think you will find that the problems Leicester are having are partly down to the New promoter who it appears has the attitude of do it my way or dont bother being here which has lead to at least 2 people who were involved in getting the track and team up and running walking away from Leicester Speedway. Looking at the speedway forum it appears that they are going to change the track shape to help with the racing and as for the team, its not the best not helped by choosing 2 Russians one of whom will be 38 shortly.

As for me on Friday i saw Lakeside 48 v 42 Poole Elite League and on Saturday Eastbourne 45 v 48 Kings Lynn Elite League

Bit of a turn up on Saturday with Eastbourne losing at home to Kings Lynn having themselves won at Kings Lynn on Wednesday.

Feversham Lens
First Team Star

May 8, 2011, 4:13 PM

Post #25 of 390 (72549 views)
Shortcut

Oh dear, that sounds ominous. Speedway's history is littered with go-it-alone egomaniacs whose promotions have foundered because they turn everyone off. Not watched a meeting since July 2008, so I'll find it interesting to see what (if anything) has changed.

(This post was edited by Feversham Lens on May 8, 2011, 4:14 PM)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 16 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3