Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: Non Football Related: Other Sports:
Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION

First page Previous page 1 ... 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 Next page Last page  View All

cherryhopper
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 17, 2018, 11:05 PM

Team(s): AFC Bournemouth, Verwood Town, Sunderland

Post #1676 of 1680 (350 views)
Shortcut
Re: [The Moose] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Fri 16th - STH WEST 1 WEST: NORTH PETHERTON 25 BRIDGWATER & ALBION 22

ADM INC PROG: £5. ATT: h/c 750

Took a detour on way home to experience this Zummerzet derby fixture. Glad I did too, as this was an excellent game well competed from start to finish. Pethy deserved to just edge the match over their Bridgy local rivals. Only two miles apart, in the shadow of the M5, this is a derby which brings the locals out in abundance creating a terrific atmosphere.

For a small town club, North Petherton have done well to reach level six. With the fall of the ‘bigger boys’ from higher divisions, they now compete on an equal footing with their illustrious neighbours. The ground is okay too, with it being railed on three sides & a large covered terrace on the clubhouse side. As always in rugby, many in attendance were more focused on ale consumption than the game! Foggy drive back across the levels, but a good night out.

KRTM :-)

Also at North Petherton. Visitors opened the scoring after 15 minutes with a drop goal which went through via the posts, the hosts roared back with two tries, one converted, to lead 12-3 at half time. Visitors scored their first try early in the second half, unconverted, hosts scored a penalty to take a 7 point lead which was wiped out when the visitors scored a converted try to level at 15-15. It would have been problematic had it ended this way as the game doubled as a Somerset Cup Quarter Final, would they have played extra time for a league game? Soon after Albion took the lead for only the second time with a converted try, a penalty from Pethy reduced it to 4 points before they restored the lead with a converted try with 10 minutes still to play, but they withstood a late onslaught to hold on for the victory.

Ground has been used for rugby league in the past by Somerset Vikings. There was extra terracing in the shape of wooden tables and chairs in front of the clubhouse being used as elevated viewing by some of the large crowd. There is a caravan park behind the end to the right of the large terrace, while the unrailed end to the left has a hard standing path behind. Programme was just a 4 page insert being given away without the glossy shell which they seemed to have run out of by the time I arrived 15 minutes before kick off but found one discarded in a bin in good enough condition to take home with me.

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Nov 17, 2018, 11:12 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #1677 of 1680 (344 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Feversham Lens] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Welsh Premiership : RGC 1404 38 Bedwas 12. Admission £10; Progs on-line only, so none. Attendance : 684

Thanks to the ramblings of Hairychopper, I was made aware of a number of double possibilties with this lot and had pencilled in their home game against Cross Keys on December 8th which kicks off at 17.30 but as the only side I need in the Welsh Cup, Ynysddu Welfare, are at home that day, I made the painful decision to get up even earlier than I have to for work to get to today's 11.00 start.
With clear roads, I was at the Zip World Stadiwm (!) for 10.30 on a beautiful sunny morning. The ground is in Eirias Park, signposted off the A55; just take the Old Colwyn turn, left up the hill and right at the first roundabout (straight on is Llanelian Road where the football ground can be found). There's parking aplenty with side roads almost empty as well. Eirias Park is a very pleasant spot with many sports facilities and I read that Colwyn Bay FC played on three different grounds here during their history, most recently in the 1980's when the current stadium is probably where they played. I didn't go then, but even if I had, dottirofhod.....Tongue
Extensive development was carried out in 2011 with the WRU intending to create a home for a new regional team in the north. In the event, the newly-founded RGC 1404 were placed in the third-level Division 1 East in 2012/13 which they won. The club then spent three seasons in the Championship before making the Premiership in 2016/17, finishing 4th and after today's win they sit 8th in the 16-team table, once again comfortable. The name is an acronym of Rygbi Gogledd Cymru (North Wales Rugby) and 1404 was the year that Owain Glyndwr became Prince of Wales. They won't let it lie, will the Welsh. It's a more than decent stadium with two stands seating over 2,500 with the main stand flanked by terraces that can hold a further 3,500 and it lies in a natural bowl. One end is a steep grassy bank, probably out of bounds with the other containing corporate buildings. Behind the stand is a large tented bar with a small stand from Nant Brewery in one corner. The only catering I could see was a grease-wagon just beyond which inexplicably weren't doing breakfast baps today, just burgers, hot dogs and chips. A decent burger and cuppa cost £5.50.
No progs as mentioned, to the chagrin of a few spectators who moaned about not having any reading material to pore over. I was told today's attendance was the lowest of the season, the average being a pretty healthy 1,100 though talk of becoming another regional side in the Pro 14 league has subsided, the club more resigned to being a feeder club to those in that league and the English Premiership.
The game was a tad one-sided after an early exchange of tries, Bedwas not helping themselves with two sin-binnings and all-in-all, a very pleasant way to pass a sunny Saturday morning.
I thought I spotted cherryhopper at half-time basking topless and in his trademark shorts lounging on a grassy area but on closer inspection it turned out to be a training dummy.
Time for a couple of halves at the Brunning & Price Pen-y-Bryn on the hillside overlooking the coast where the Bendigeidfran from Bragdy Lleu was outstanding. In fact the area, and the drive up there almost had me changing my opinion of Colwyn Bay which is a horrible large blot on the North Walian coast. Almost.
Onto Mochdre Sports for the 14.00 kick-off which will be reported on in WDYG.

AndrewG
First Team Star

Nov 18, 2018, 8:50 PM

Team(s):

Post #1678 of 1680 (100 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I did see Colwyn Bay at Eirias Park in the 1980s. It was before my groundhopping days when I used to watch Chorley home and away, and we played there in the FA Trophy. How times change - a basic railed off pitch, and I don't think it was floodlit, could stage a FA Trophy game. It was the depths of winter and pitch and surroundings were a mud bath, but the FA Trophy was a far more interesting competition then than it is now!

The ground was adjacent to the old A55 as the rugby stadium is now - in those days the new bypass only existed on a drawing board. Eirias Park covers a decent acreage, so whether the footprint of the two grounds overlapped I have no idea, and, probably like you Paddy, I don't care. If I kept a count of grounds visited, which I don't, they would be two different grounds visited for two different sports.

AndrewG
First Team Star

Nov 18, 2018, 9:03 PM

Team(s):

Post #1679 of 1680 (93 views)
Shortcut
Re: [AndrewG] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

A sparse rugby union programme on the 10th November, combined with bad weather, saw me settle on a revisit to Chester. Little has changed since I was there three years ago, covered on page 43 of this thread, hence the lack of a full report. The one exception to that, as has been mentioned elsewhere, is that they have installed an artificial pitch, which has also resulted in hard standing extending all around the ground. Entertaining enough game, in which Chester defeated Tynedale 33-22, despite the visitors enjoying long spells of territorial dominance, but I was delighted to get back to visiting a new ground this week.

Saturday 17th November 2018 (ko 1415)
at West Croft Terrace, Lowca
RFU Northern Division Cumbria One (Level Seven)
St Benedicts 22 Aspatria 17 (ht 15-3)
Admission - No charge
Programme - 8 pages, £2.00
Attendance - 100 (estimate)

Whitehaven based St Benedicts usual home ground is at Newlands Avenue in Mirehouse, next door to the football pitch used by the club of that name which some of you may have visited. It has, for some time, been extremely prone to waterlogging, and is currently out of action whilst substantial drainage and levelling work is undertaken. Bennies have been playing all season at Lowca ARLFC - who themselves ply their trade in the second tier of rugby league’s Cumberland League - and, afaik, they expect to be here for the rest of this campaign.

Strike action every Saturday on Northern Rail has meant Whitehaven has been inaccessible by train all season, and, with the last useful bus out of town at 1705, I considered that too tight to be comfortable for 3pm kick offs. The winter months bring earlier kick offs, but probably not the best weather for visiting Lowca, located high on the cliff tops, so today’s unseasonal warmth and clear blue skies was too good an opportunity to miss. Travelling by bus undoubtedly added to my journey time, but Stagecoach offer a good value Cumbria wide day ticket for £11.30, and I had the bonus of a morning ride from Penrith to Cockermouth through some of the finest scenery England has to offer, whilst changing at Workington on my return gave just enough time for a call at one of my favourite chippies. Lowca itself has a half hourly service from Whitehaven, terminating right opposite the ground, or you could walk down to the A595 to meet northbound services, no more than a mile away and from which the clubhouse is clearly visible.

Facilities are located at the northern end of the ground in a two tier building that has changing rooms downstairs and clubhouse upstairs. A sizeable lounge was utilised today and there is also a function room, whilst a balcony overlooks the pitch from behind the posts, though today that involves staring into a very low sun. No real ale, and I saw no signs of hot drinks being available, but pies could be had from the bar. Post match rugby hospitality was apparently done back at the home team’s base in Mirehouse. Despite there only being one obvious entrance, no attempt was made to charge admission, and I saw no sign of programmes until a gentleman came round selling them at pitch side around ten minutes into the game. A match specific but fairly basic issue, its price obviously reflects a donation in lieu of admission.

Two pitches stand side by side, both sloping end to end, with the main pitch fully railed with modern plastic barriers. Markings on the second pitch are not clear enough to be made out from a distance, and there are no posts in place, but football posts are propped up at either end of the main pitch barrier, so presumably the round ball game is played here. It is grass standing, rather wet underfoot in places, and there is a small area covered by a section of training lights. You are as close to the cliff tops here as at Kells, but, because the land continues to rise slightly beyond the pitches, the sea is not visible. In any case, facing that way would be plagued by the sun, but the backdrop looking east over rolling countryside from such an elevated viewpoint was glorious.

Cumbrian clubs are in a stand alone league at step seven this season, supposedly for one year only whilst the RFU tries to find a solution to clubs from neighbouring counties objecting to the travelling costs of having to come up here. Cumbria One has just eight clubs, and after a round of home and away fixtures will split into two tiers of four. Bennies have been a force at this level recently, but are having to regroup after finding the step up to level six a challenge too far, but the second of their two victories to date this season was in their last home game against league leaders Keswick. Aspatria are in their perennial position amongst the front runners, unbeaten since a surprise opening day setback with five wins and one draw.

A fiercely competitive and entertaining game sees Bennies make a flying start playing downhill, two tries amongst the first half points that all come in the opening quarter. After that the hosts suffer back to back sin binnings, yet reach the interval without seeing their lead diminished, but Aspatria start the second period with two quick scores to lead 17-15. However, the home pack starts to really dominate at the scrum, and the visitors concede first a sin binning and then a penalty try. A red card for a home player is soon followed by a second sin binning for Aspatria, so most of the closing stages are played out at fourteen a side, but by now Bennies look the most likely to add to the score, so the visitors are probably relieved to hang on to their losing bonus point.

This was the fifth time I have seen Aspatria play in 2018, and, whilst I saw them win a home game, they have been beaten in all four away games I have witnessed. At a guess I suspect that will amount to more than half of their total defeats over the calendar year. Perhaps it will be worth contacting them the next time one of their games features on my radar, to see it they want to make it worth my while to go elsewhere!

dottirofhod
Man City Transfer Target!

Nov 19, 2018, 1:55 AM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #1680 of 1680 (17 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Welsh Premiership : RGC 1404 38 Bedwas 12. Admission £10; Progs on-line only, so none. Attendance : 684

The ground is in Eirias Park, signposted off the A55; just take the Old Colwyn turn, left up the hill and right at the first roundabout (straight on is Llanelian Road where the football ground can be found). There's parking aplenty with side roads almost empty as well. Eirias Park is a very pleasant spot with many sports facilities and I read that Colwyn Bay FC played on three different grounds here during their history, most recently in the 1980's when the current stadium is probably where they played. I didn't go then, but even if I had, dottirofhod.....Tongue
===============================================

You know I don't read this section AngelicCrazy.
I saw Colwyn Bay there in 82/83 season , after 2 renovations do I need to tick again ?

===============================================

July 1, 2018 to June 30,2019 = 120 / 98 / 22(You know my rules) @ 19 /11 /2018.(Only 8 x 0-0's)
Benelux. Bel = 0-0-0- ( 0-0-0 ) - ( 5-0-0-1 ) Lux = 0-0. Neth = 0-0-0 - ( 2 - 1 ).
Scotland Senior 0-0-0-0-(0-0)-EastofS -1 NofS 0 - SouthofS -2 - Junior (0-0-0)-(0-0-1-0)-(0-0)-(0).
N I = 0-0-5. ROI =0-0-( Leinster-2 , Munster-2, Ulster -0.) Wales =0- (0-0).
Scan Den=1-1, Faroes=8, Fin=0-2, Ice=0-3, Nor=0-9, Swe=0-1. Baltics Est= 0, Lat= 2, Lith=1.

First page Previous page 1 ... 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3