Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: Non Football Related: Other Sports:
Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY LEAGUE

First page Previous page 1 ... 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 Next page Last page  View All

Mike S
Reserve Team Regular

May 15, 2019, 10:25 PM

Post #2751 of 2769 (1730 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY LEAGUE [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Castleford Cup Final

Lock Lane 24 Featherstone Lions 22
At Castleford RU
Admission £2 prog no

All the district leagues used to run cup tournaments when the game was in winter, the one in Halifax even had a points handicap system in place, but with the decline of these leagues and of winter rugby generally most appear to have gone, possibly only Barrow, Cas and Oldham remain. I did not see any report from Huddersfield although it existed 12 months ago

Both of tonight’s teams play in the NCL and mist admit if this was first team or mostly A team players involved

Castleford RU has two pitches and others on a different site and includes cover on the half way line and a few steps of terracing either side. I would have thought this may be one of the more challenging towns to be an RU side.

Working in Leeds so train down and back and shared taxi each way with RL fans from Sheffield as ground between 1 and 2 miles from station

old knut
Junior Team Regular

May 16, 2019, 12:11 PM

Post #2752 of 2769 (1629 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mike S] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY LEAGUE [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Saturday 11th May 2019
National Conference Division Two
BEVERLEY 38-12 EAST LEEDS
@Beverley Leisure Centre, 2:30pm, free entry, programme £2

After a slow start to life in Division Two, following promotion at the first attempt after rejoining the NCL last year, Beverley are finding their feet and will be hoping to retain their new found status. On the evidence of this game, they should achieve that aim although they will face much tougher opponents than an ill disciplined Leeds outfit who lost their cool after conceding 32 points quite early in the second half, receiving two red cards in quick succession. To be fair, their 11 men battled gamely until the final whistle, in torrential rain.

The first half was played out in glorious sunshine and I counted around 175 watching from both pitchside and the adjacent Potting Shed pub viewing balcony and beer garden. The monsoon type conditions arrived at half time and only around 50 brave souls saw out the second half.

Fev Lens will be pleased to know Beverley are once again issuing match specific, 16 page, colourful programmes, which were available pitchside.

ciderjon
First Team Star

May 17, 2019, 10:41 PM

Team(s):

Post #2753 of 2769 (1412 views)
Shortcut
Re: [old knut] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY LEAGUE [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Just an advisory note.....

Cardiff Blue Devils vs All Golds tomorrow is to be played at Rumney RU 3pm. Change of venue as Glamorgan Wanderers have a RU playoff game vs Brecon.

Last new Belgian beer: Lupulus (formerly Trois Fourquets) Triple 8.5% bc (808)

chesterbird
Youth Team Regular

May 17, 2019, 11:23 PM

Team(s): Chester City, Liverpool FC,

Post #2754 of 2769 (1399 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ciderjon] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY LEAGUE [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

SADDLEWORTH RANGERS V YORK ACORN 19.20PM 34 v 24 KICK OFF ADM £3 free very nice prog for this level,pies excellent for £1.50 and smashing clubhouse with a quite superb Donkeystones brewery Cotton Clouds on tap at £3.10 per pint of which we had 3 each.

Slightly chilly evening for this game which we did nice and easy from Huddersfield--18.28 train arrives Greenfield 18.45 and 3 min walk to ground.

Game was scheduled for 7pm but eventually kicked off at 7.20pm and what a first half with and early home try cancelled out quickly by a determined York side who tried to show their second place authority and went 4-6 in front and quickly after that,4-12 in front with another very good try.After a little bit of to and froing Saddleworth took charge and scored 20 points in around 10 mind prior to half time to lead 24-12 although a defensive lapse gave York a try right on the hooter for a 24-18 halif time scoreline.

Only a 4-5 min break hardly gave time to draw breath and we were soon underway for a very tough 2nd half.

Both teams tried to gain the upper hand but it was the home side who were just that bit more determined and eventually scored a penalty and a try to secure a deserved win although York did hit back late on to give them a little bit of success in the game.

21.36 train back to Huddersfield and a quick pint in the fabulous Kings Head-taxi home and a cracking night out in all.

Feversham Lens
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 18, 2019, 8:50 AM

Team(s): Not any more

Post #2755 of 2769 (1308 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mike S] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY LEAGUE [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Castleford Cup Final

Lock Lane 24 Featherstone Lions 22
At Castleford RU
Admission £2 prog no

All the district leagues used to run cup tournaments when the game was in winter, the one in Halifax even had a points handicap system in place, but with the decline of these leagues and of winter rugby generally most appear to have gone, possibly only Barrow, Cas and Oldham remain. I did not see any report from Huddersfield although it existed 12 months ago.

The Bradford & District (Clayton versus Wyke) and the Wakefield & District (Crofton versus Eastmoor) cup finals were played in April.

Feversham Lens
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 18, 2019, 6:17 PM

Post #2756 of 2769 (1245 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chesterbird] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY LEAGUE [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Saturday 18th May 2019
Eastmoor Dragons 14 Drighlington 18 (HT 12-8)
National Conference League, Division Three (tier seven, 2.30pm kick-off)
Free admission
Programme £2 (28pp, nothing special but a big improvement on the lame issue I secured at Eastmoor in April 2001)
Attendance 208 (h/c)
Burgers and hot dogs available (didn't bother)

Low quality fare between mid-table teams whose seasons may well be over already. Despite the closeness of a contest in doubt to the final whistle, I struggled to engage with events on the pitch. Too many errors, too many injury stoppages. Had the forecast not threatened rain, I'd have watched cricket this afternoon. Did I see any rain? No, naturally. This was a revisit. I CBA driving over to Bradford for a tick at Odsal Sedbergh ARLFC.

The game started promisingly. Inside a minute, from the first set, Drighlington ran in a sparkling 75-metre, right corner try after Eastmoor paused fatally in anticipation of the referee blowing for a knock on. The hosts hit back with two tries (31mins and 36mins), both converted, under the posts to lead 12-4. In the 39th minute, Drighlington created an overlap to cross, again in the right corner, again too wide for the extras to be added. A third try in the right corner, six minutes after the restart, got the visitors level at 12-12 before a 52nd-minute penalty in front of the posts nudged Eastmoor two points ahead. Three minutes later, Drighlington went over for the gamebreaking try, on this occasion converted, from the left side of the pitch. Eastmoor, who had a player sin-binned on the hour, enjoyed plenty of excellent field position in the last 10 minutes but lacked the creativity to break through determined Drighlington tackling. On an adjacent pitch, kicking off 30 minutes earlier, Eastmoor Dragons 'A' beat Hemsworth Dragons 40-20 in Division Five of the Yorkshire League.

There is nothing pretty about Eastmoor's ground, a green oasis in a red-brick sea of local authority semis close to Wakefield's unappealing centre. The King George V Playing Fields boast three pitches - two for rugby league, one for football. The main rugby pitch is fully railed and has floodlights but is missing hardstanding and cover. At the north (near) end, there is a substantial clubhouse (and a limited amount of parking), with dressing rooms and two bars/function rooms. Some interesting items of memorabilia (photographs and shirts, principally) in the public areas. The pitch's lumpy, patchy surface slopes down from north to south (end to end) and from east to west (side to side). To the west, three landmarks are visible: the 247ft spire of Wakefield Cathedral (Yorkshire's tallest church), Wakefield Town Hall's clock tower and the Emley Moor telecommunications masts (temporarily, there are two). The football pitch, immediately south of the main rugby pitch, is fully railed. Used for county league level dross, I daresay.

At such an open site, Eastmoor cannot take a gate. Post kick-off, an elderly woman toured the pitch with a handful of programmes. Despite numerous refusals from parsimonious potential purchasers, she appeared to sell them all. If you want a programme here, it's probably wise to seek them out in the clubhouse well before the game begins.

(This post was edited by Feversham Lens on May 18, 2019, 8:43 PM)

IAN S
First Team Star

May 18, 2019, 6:30 PM

Team(s): Sheffield United, Sheffield Eagles, Kendal Town

Post #2757 of 2769 (1220 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Feversham Lens] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY LEAGUE [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Farnley Falcons 44 Moldgreen 12
Yorkshire Three
h/t 24-0

A very one sided game where some of the visitors looked like they would have preferred to be somewhere else. Four tries in the first half and four more in the second were answered by two tries from the visitors.

Farnley have moved back to their ground on Butt Lane where today's game was played on the top pitch, another pitch is lower down and the vista over Leeds was extensive and surprisingly locally very rural. A small hut was open selling cans of Carling and the like, other fizzy stuff no doubt.

We'll be, as we are, when all the fools who doubt us fade away.

Mike S
Reserve Team Regular

May 18, 2019, 7:05 PM

Post #2758 of 2769 (1196 views)
Shortcut
Re: [IAN S] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY LEAGUE [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

May 16 Leeds 8 Castleford 30 Att 13000 Admission £25 Prog £3
May 17 Huddersfield 30 Hull KR 22 Admission £27 Prog £3
Working and staying in Leeds so rare foray into Super League
To matches by public transport and especially the first the games take long
Today we managed a kick off to conclusion in 85 mins in the amateurs. Leeds should have kicked off at 7.45 but teams not even out, then when they did and opera singer sung Land of Hope and Glory and fireworks were let off in bright sunlight. Totally pointless and 7.54 start and finish not long before 10pm
Games ok but nothing to remember from either
Leeds celebrated opening the North Stand but this has no facilities below at present and just bare concrete. It does not fit the iconic category
A special mention for the Huddersfield prog. This cost £3 and possibly the worst value I have seen. it took about three mins to browse. all articles ie chairmans and managers notes are written in the same style and look as if they are written in the time they took to read. bland is being generous and I cannot see why anyone would buy regulalry

Mike S
Reserve Team Regular

May 18, 2019, 7:17 PM

Post #2759 of 2769 (1192 views)
Shortcut

May 18
Langworthy Reds 20 Chorley 34
Attendence c140
North West Mens
Back to basics and happier standing in a park, even with some slight rain, than previous matches
Fourth game of RL in four days, certainly the first time, probably last
Langworthy have a list of players who have gone on to turn pro from their juniors and nearly 50 have moved to nine clubs. An addendum to the list is Ryan Giggs who was then Ryan Wilson or Watson, I cant remember which
The club have been in existence since the 1930's which is rare in the amateurs
I have seen the hosts before as they have two grounds, Rabbit Hills is on the A6 which has multiple rugby and football pitches and is most frequently used for Open Age. The clubhouse is however situated within Oakwood Park and appears to be the former stables to the main house. The small bar is upstairs in the style of the former Stanley United in Co Durham
There are two pitches although one only had only one set of posts. The rest of the park is mostly woodland.
The pitch is roped down one side only and it was easy to see why matches are often moved to the other ground. Today was a barbeque and captains birthday party so an effort was made to play near the clubhouse
The last time I saw Chorley they started with 12 and were down to 11 within 5 mins and conceded over 80 points. Today this was a top of the table clash

Feversham Lens
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 18, 2019, 8:20 PM

Post #2760 of 2769 (1158 views)
Shortcut

Wilson. Giggs's father is Danny Wilson, a Cardiff-born Swinton (and Wales) stand-off and one of the Lions' few great players of the post-1960s era.

(This post was edited by Feversham Lens on May 18, 2019, 8:23 PM)

Sale Holmfield
First Team Regular

May 18, 2019, 10:30 PM

Team(s): Altrincham, Conwy Borough

Post #2761 of 2769 (1072 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Feversham Lens] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY LEAGUE [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

National Conference League Div 1
Pilkington Recs v Stanningley Sports 26-6 (adm £2 with free programme (very good issue) att. 55)

Two more venerable amateur clubs with Pilks and Stanningley claiming foundation dates of 1879 and 1889 respectively. Pilkington have had various reformations (as St Helens Recreation) and spells playing association football, so Ithink 1949 is nearer the mark for the current club; I don't know enough of Stanningley's history to comment.

I seem to be a fairly regular visitor to the Ruskin Sports Ground as the pitches keep getting moved, although they do seem to have settled down now. It's always the case, though, that Pilkington Recs don't get the support they deserve and may expect. They play beyond the cricket ground, where St Helens Town II were entertaining Fleetwood-Hesketh II, and to the right of the football ground where a game (Pilkington FC internal?) was in process. The rugby ground is railed off around its artificial pitch, but has no cover apart from its dugouts.

Not too much to say about the match it was a pretty routine win for Pilks in their effort to gain promotion back to the Premier Division at the first attempt. They were 12-0 up at half-time, and went 24-0 up before Stanningley scored, then scoring a penalty themselves.

The Cricketers Arms is halfway between St Helens Central and Ruskin. That was excellent and I can certainly see why it was national pub of the year.

kirby knitters
Qatar World Cup bid member!

May 19, 2019, 8:32 PM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #2762 of 2769 (865 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sale Holmfield] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY LEAGUE [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Super League (18/5)
Catalans Dragons 33 Wigan Warriors 16. @ FC Barcelona
In - 20€
Prog - 5€
Att - 31,555
Estrella Damm - €7,60
As sporting events go this was right up there with the best I have done. The origination for stuff put on for fans pre - match was superb and FCB and Catalans should be congratulated with the way things went.

The game unfortunately didn't live up to the occasion for the 5000 who travelled from England, Wigan started badly and gradually got worse as the game went on, I along with many of them had departed long before the final hooter but still a wonderful memorable occasion all the same

Spent Friday night and Saturday morning drinking Fosters in Flaherty's just off La Rambla at 4.10€ a time, all punters, staff and even the doorstaff were English.

On leaving the RL I headed to a Seguna Catalana Group 3 game at Mariano Poblet to catch up with Buncranaboy and Catchagogoal. I left this one early as well, went for a booze went back then left again so will certainly not be recording it as a game attended. An 07.10 flight this morning hardly helped matters and I was really after a few drinks before heading back to hotel. Talking of booze in ground. Well I'll let Paddy explain that one on the relevant thread upon his return.

ciderjon
First Team Star

May 19, 2019, 10:56 PM

Team(s):

Post #2763 of 2769 (788 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY LEAGUE [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Cardiff Blue Dragons 20 All Golds 30

18 May, 3pm
Southern Conference League, West Division
Admit £2 ( bus pass boyo) no prog
Attn 44

Played on the main pitch at Rumney RU, a location I had been chasing for some time as neglected to watch the short lived Rumney Rhinos RL team. When after two failed attempts I managed to see a game here it was switched to an outside pitch.

Ground is enclosed, allowing a gate to be taken. Railed off on both sides, but not ends. There is a scoreboard ( not used) and a line of red plastic seats some of which gain the protection of a tv gantry. Changing rooms and clubhouse are outside ground, adequate car park outside.

Quality of game poorer than expected, Blue Dragons failure at conversions cost them today.All three results possible until last five minutes kept the interest up, but poor standard overall. Excellent chat though as Roger Y. turned up, an enjoyable ,if ,at times, underwhelming afternoon.

Last new Belgian beer: Lupulus (formerly Trois Fourquets) Triple 8.5% bc (808)

IAN S
First Team Star

May 21, 2019, 10:21 PM

Team(s): Sheffield United, Sheffield Eagles, Kendal Town

Post #2764 of 2769 (501 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ciderjon] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY LEAGUE [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Tuesday 21st May

Normanton Knights 12 Featherstone Lions 40

National Conference One

h/t 0-10
admission £2, no programme, (online only)

As one sided as it sounds, men against boys throughout really. Decent crowd in attendance, approx 300.

We'll be, as we are, when all the fools who doubt us fade away.

(This post was edited by IAN S on May 21, 2019, 10:23 PM)

cherryhopper
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 21, 2019, 10:57 PM

Team(s): AFC Bournemouth, Verwood Town, Sunderland

Post #2765 of 2769 (468 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Seagull] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY LEAGUE [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Sat 13th April 2019
Conference league division 2
Barrow Island 46 Shaw Cross 18

Att 130
Adm £2 incl 16pp glossy prog

Ground has been covered many times but things worth noting: the rustic goalposts are on the way out, one set has been replaced with conventional metal posts and the others are soon to follow. The hump backed pitch may be out of use before the season ends. Grab it while you can! The main pitch which has been subject to a long legal dispute over sub standard drainage work is well on the way to being ready to use. According to the club chairman they are confident this will happen this season. At the moment they just need some good rainfall to encourage grass growth on the bare patches where renovation work has been done.

Bottom line is that if you haven't done the current pitch do it while you can, it has to be seen to be believed.

Hoping to get to Barrow Island and catch them on the old pitch this Saturday 25th May vs Bradford Dudley Hill, although the less than hopeful weather forecast may yet put paid to the cricket at Penrith which I was hoping to combine the trip to Cumbria with on Sunday.

mxhornet
First Team Star

May 22, 2019, 12:16 AM

Team(s): Watford, Celtic, Ajax, Kings Lynn Town and all local ladies teams.

Post #2766 of 2769 (439 views)
Shortcut
Re: [IAN S] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY LEAGUE [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Tuesday 21st May

Normanton Knights 12 Featherstone Lions 40

National Conference One

h/t 0-10
admission £2, no programme, (online only)

As one sided as it sounds, men against boys throughout really. Decent crowd in attendance, approx 300.

Also in attendance. My first RL game in quite a while.I could be tempted by another midweek NCL game.

Watford FC supporter hence the name also follow Hull FC but rarely get to see either these days.

Have now visited over 800 grounds, progress in recent years has been rather slow and will continue to be as things stand.

Mike S
Reserve Team Regular

May 25, 2019, 7:12 PM

Post #2767 of 2769 (219 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mxhornet] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY LEAGUE [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Saturday 25 2019
North East Rugby League
Durham Demons 34 Cramlington 78
Attendance 30
Venue Houghton RU
Very enjoyable day out. Options were very limited as few RL games on a bank holiday weekend. Cumbria was considered but games switched to Friday, so for a new ground either this or Southend and this seemed the more likely to take place, although no guarantee a game on the night before will take place. took a chance as both had a good reputation
Had three hours in Durham, before driving to Houghton le Spring, one time home of Eppleton MW and in part an attractive village with large church, plenty of green space, but with a dual carriageway blasted right through. Houses are available starting at just below £50k
Arrived at the ground, part railed with a clubhouse at the top of a bank and a very small piece of cover on the halfway line. just after pm the players came out with the post protectors and in typical RL fashion. left the ground and head off towards and across the dual carriageway
Apparently the RL is always played on the second ground in Durham Road, also used by the RU for lower fifteens but in the summer an be marked for RL. This also has some banking and then a wall to the road. Some stand on this like at Millom. glad having found the pitch, i walked back to get the car as rained in second half and glad to be able to get coat from car
As for the match, 112 points and 21 tries in 80 mins plus 2 sendings off. Some of the tackling was fair but brutal. So far this is the most enjoyable game of the season
There are 8 in NERL plus Edinburgh and despite distance would like to add this season to the three I have visited

Loiner
First Team Star

May 25, 2019, 11:21 PM

Team(s): None. A supporter of grassroots football

Post #2768 of 2769 (138 views)
Shortcut

Saturday 25 May.
NCL Div.3
Hunslet Warriors v Eastmoor Dragons 38-20.
Admission £2-50/ £1 including Team sheet.

The only match on locally.

Warriors led 16-10 at the break and had the better of the second half.

Rain arrived just as the match finished, so avoided getting drenched.

Sale Holmfield
First Team Regular

May 25, 2019, 11:29 PM

Team(s): Altrincham, Conwy Borough

Post #2769 of 2769 (133 views)
Shortcut

National Conference League Prem Div
West Hull v Siddal 16-8 (adm. £2.50, free online prog, att 175 (est))

This was a close, hard fought match between two of the leading amateur clubs in which defences dominated. It didn't make for a great spectacle, I must admit, but the playing ability was apparent. League leaders West Hull led throughout, taking a 10-0 lead by half-time, although Siddal won the second half, which did not finish until 1617, due to a combination of a late start and plentiful stoppage time.

The best thing about the West Hull Community Sports Park (if I have got its name right) is probably the clubhouse by the entrance, within the Francis Askew Primary School grounds, which had loads of memorabilia and trophies, besides a bar and kitchen. Changing rooms are beyond there, within the ground entrance, and the players walk from there to a pitch which is railed off on three sides,but has no floodlights nor cover, although it did appear to have a disused TV gantry. Adjacent to this is a floodlit pitch with no goals nor pitch markings, and then another pitch.

By public transport, the 1 and 57 will both take you there from the city centre to the stop at the end of Sunningdale Road, while on of the Park and Ride buses goes just round the corner. None of the pubs round the ground seemed two inviting, so I tried some of those in the centre, with positive mentions for the friendly Hop and Vine and for the Head of Steam which served a beer called Hopper.

There was no sign of any printed programme, by the way. The online copy was made available earlier in the day.

First page Previous page 1 ... 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3