Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

THIS FORUM IS NOW READ ONLY - PLEASE HEAD OVER TO THE NEW FORUM HERE (CLICK LINK) TO REGISTER A NEW ACCOUNT - THANKS

Home: Non League Football Information: FA Competitions:
'Big' cup shocks

Mr. T
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jan 9, 2011, 11:52 AM

Post #1 of 18 (5434 views)
Shortcut
'Big' cup shocks Can't Post or Reply Privately

Am I correct in thinking that Newcastle's defeat yesterday was the first '4th' division v. '1st' division since Fulham v. Leyton Orient in 05-06?

Someone posted a list of these (and '2nd' v. '5th/6th') not so long ago but I can't find it.

jrev61
Man City Transfer Target!

Jan 9, 2011, 12:25 PM

Team(s): None

Post #2 of 18 (5426 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mr. T] 'Big' cup shocks [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Am I correct in thinking that Newcastle's defeat yesterday was the first '4th' division v. '1st' division since Fulham v. Leyton Orient in 05-06?

Someone posted a list of these (and '2nd' v. '5th/6th') not so long ago but I can't find it.

That's what they said on ESPN last night, the only other Premier League teams to lose against '4th Division opposition were Everton who lost to Shrewsbury.
Before the Premership was formed Arsenal's loss to Wrexham was the last such defeat.

jrev61

garethwrexy

Jan 9, 2011, 12:42 PM

Team(s): wrexham and dulwich

Post #3 of 18 (5417 views)
Shortcut

know there not non league anmore but stevenage getting revange v 3-1 newcastle was a big shock, only time i have ever felt sorry for stevenage was when newcastle kicked up a fuss about the ground

wrexham fc fa trophy winners 2013 !

Mr. T
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jan 9, 2011, 12:49 PM

Post #4 of 18 (5414 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jrev61] 'Big' cup shocks [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
That's what they said on ESPN last night, the only other Premier League team to lose against '4th Division' opposition were Everton who lost to Shrewsbury [02-03].
Before the Premership was formed Arsenal's loss to Wrexham [91-92] was the last such defeat.

Two more:-
98-99 Swansea 1-0 West Ham (3rd round replay)
01-02 Derby 1-3 Bristol Rovers (3rd round)

(This post was edited by Mr. T on Jan 9, 2011, 1:00 PM)

Isaac

Jan 10, 2011, 10:07 AM

Team(s): ABMU

Post #5 of 18 (5252 views)
Shortcut

I thought Stevenage beating Newcastle was one of the few real shocks, Ian Holloway had all but conceded Blackpool's tie at Southampton before kick off and were Sunderland or West Brom greatly bothered about going out to lower league opposition?

It really is a shame that this once great competition has become just an unwanted distraction for many clubs.

PonteCarlo
First Team Star

Jan 11, 2011, 8:05 AM

Team(s): Grimsby Town, Pontefract Collieries

Post #6 of 18 (5127 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Isaac] 'Big' cup shocks [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Not the same cup, but in the Carling Cup in 2005-6 Grimsby beat Spurs 1-0 thanks to an 88th minute screamer Smile

Proud spectator of real football.

Hop, hop, hopping on heaven's door

villahopper
First Team Star

Jan 12, 2011, 11:27 PM

Team(s): Aston Villa Bromsgrove Sporting New York Jets

Post #7 of 18 (4925 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
I thought Stevenage beating Newcastle was one of the few real shocks, Ian Holloway had all but conceded Blackpool's tie at Southampton before kick off and were Sunderland or West Brom greatly bothered about going out to lower league opposition?

It really is a shame that this once great competition has become just an unwanted distraction for many clubs.

Couldn't agree more

Mishi

Jan 13, 2011, 10:48 AM

Team(s): Dulwich Hamlet

Post #8 of 18 (4872 views)
Shortcut
Re: [villahopper] 'Big' cup shocks [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

It's certainly no a shame if you're a lower club beating one of the bigger clubs, in a 'First Team' competition!

Earlier this season Worthing (Isthmian One South) rested some players, & got knocked out at Enfield! (Not sure, off the top of my head which Enfield it was) Reason given by their manager was they had a 'big' league game against Whitehawk on the Tuesday! Didn't go down too well with the Worthing fans!!!!

Grounds visited: 745
Last new ground:Horsham FC; The Camping World Community Stadium, Horsham, West Sussex. (Isthmian League Premier Division)
Last game: Saturday 21st September 2019: Dulwich Hamlet 6, Bognor Regis Town 1. [ FA Cup 2nd qualifying round]
Matches watched this season: 46
2017/18-New English grounds: 7 & foreign: 0

Isaac

Jan 13, 2011, 11:35 AM

Post #9 of 18 (4858 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mishi] 'Big' cup shocks [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
It's certainly no a shame if you're a lower club beating one of the bigger clubs, in a 'First Team' competition!

Earlier this season Worthing (Isthmian One South) rested some players, & got knocked out at Enfield! (Not sure, off the top of my head which Enfield it was) Reason given by their manager was they had a 'big' league game against Whitehawk on the Tuesday! Didn't go down too well with the Worthing fans!!!!

And of course Ian Holloway rested a lot (all?) of his first team squad for Blackpool's trip to Southampton so Saints win really cannot be seen as an upset.

Of course it could be argued that last nights win over Liverpool vindicated Olly's decision?

The problem is that league positions are where the money is, play offs, CL places etc etc.

That's why I love competitions like the FA Vase and the FA Sunday Cup, you can just see how much these competitions mean to the clubs that are involved but even the FA Trophy seems to have been 'diluted' somewhat in recent years.

Richard Rundle

Jan 13, 2011, 12:01 PM

Post #10 of 18 (4845 views)
Shortcut

There's an article in the Racing Post today about those "upsets" - saying that had Liverpool won at Manchester United it would have been about the same sort of "shock" in terms of odds as Crawley Town beating Derby County.

--
Richard

UKPunk

Jan 13, 2011, 1:53 PM

Post #11 of 18 (4817 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

And of course Ian Holloway rested a lot (all?) of his first team squad for Blackpool's trip to Southampton so Saints win really cannot be seen as an upset.

Of course it could be argued that last nights win over Liverpool vindicated Olly's decision?

The problem is that league positions are where the money is, play offs, CL places etc etc.

That's why I love competitions like the FA Vase and the FA Sunday Cup, you can just see how much these competitions mean to the clubs that are involved but even the FA Trophy seems to have been 'diluted' somewhat in recent years.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought the news report on the game that I saw said that Southampton rested a lot of players as well. If that's true, would it not count as an upset still?

1-0-1-0-4-25-40-65-181-289=606

Last game: Mon 20/8/18
4. Basford United 1 Hednesford Town 2

Isaac

Jan 13, 2011, 2:33 PM

Post #12 of 18 (4802 views)
Shortcut
Re: [UKPunk] 'Big' cup shocks [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Well if League One (or Division Three as I still prefer to call it) clubs are resting players then it really doesn't bode well for the future of the FA Cup.

jrev61

Jan 13, 2011, 5:44 PM

Team(s): None

Post #13 of 18 (4770 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Richard Rundle] 'Big' cup shocks [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
There's an article in the Racing Post today about those "upsets" - saying that had Liverpool won at Manchester United it would have been about the same sort of "shock" in terms of odds as Crawley Town beating Derby County.

--
Richard

Even the bookies knew that Liverpool would be up against 12 menSmile

jrev61

SparkyRebel
First Team Sub

Jan 13, 2011, 10:04 PM

Team(s): Worthing FC

Post #14 of 18 (4725 views)
Shortcut
Re: [UKPunk] 'Big' cup shocks [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought the news report on the game that I saw said that Southampton rested a lot of players as well. If that's true, would it not count as an upset still?

From what I saw on Saturday Blackpool made nine changes while Southampton made eight changes from their starting elevens from their previous league games. So both teams had multiple changes.

The bottom line is that a Level 1 team should be strong enough to beat a Level 3 team regardless of team they put out - it is disrespectful of anyone to suggest that this tie was not an upset (regardless of number of changes on either side), these teams are separated by multiple levels in the pyramid - end of story.

Up The Rebels!!!!

(This post was edited by SparkyRebel on Jan 13, 2011, 10:27 PM)

SparkyRebel
First Team Sub

Jan 13, 2011, 10:18 PM

Team(s): Worthing FC

Post #15 of 18 (4718 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mishi] 'Big' cup shocks [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

Indeed, most Worthing fans (myself included) were extremely unhappy with the actions of our manager on this one.

Up The Rebels!!!!

(This post was edited by SparkyRebel on Jan 13, 2011, 10:28 PM)

Isaac

Jan 13, 2011, 10:35 PM

Post #16 of 18 (4709 views)
Shortcut
Re: [SparkyRebel] 'Big' cup shocks [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Whilst I accept that Southampton can only beat what is put it front of them it would be ridiculous to suggest that their win over Blackpool was comparable with (for example) Colchester's famous win over Leeds back in the 70's.

There were also suggestions that Notts County winning at Sunderland wasn't a great suprise either.

Cup upsets are by definition rare events, when they happen regularly they do rather lose their appeal.

KnowYourMarket

Jan 13, 2011, 10:56 PM

Team(s): WBA, FC Saarbruecken, Brierley Hill Alliance (RIP)

Post #17 of 18 (4698 views)
Shortcut

It's even more disrespectful that both clubs made so many changes. They wonder why "fans" are losing interest in the competition and keep bleating on about who says the "FA Cup is losing it's magic". It clearly has already lost it's magic, many clubs resting players and poor crowds as well. The FA Cup still has some magic but not as much as it should have.

I was going to go to Reading on Saturday, however, I knew my team would play an under strength side so I didn't bother. If teams treat games with contempt then so will I.

Last ground visited(update requested by Spud): Wellington . New grounds 18/19: 38

sjosta
First Team Regular

Jan 14, 2011, 5:26 PM

Team(s): Groundhopper, ABE

Post #18 of 18 (4591 views)
Shortcut

"The bottom line is that a Level 1 team should be strong enough to beat a Level 3 team regardless of team they put out - it is disrespectful of anyone to suggest that this tie was not an upset (regardless of number of changes on either side), these teams are separated by multiple levels in the pyramid - end of story. "

Surely the whole competition is demeaned when teams turn out reserve sides, and there have been many. The whole mystique of the unexpected shock suddenly becomes quite commonplace. As some managers openly express their contempt of this competition, I don't see why it shouldn't be all-in from the first round proper.

Football seen in: Scotland (268 grounds), England (969), Germany (289), Sweden (208), Netherlands (67), Wales (27), Ireland (S&N)(23/4), Austria (9), France (6), Denmark(5), Belgium(3),Italy(2), Luxembourg (2), Spain (2), Liechtenstein, Jersey, Switzerland, Canada
Figures correct(ish) at end of season 14-15 (1898 total)
For all your Fife needs:
Fife Junior History

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3