Snoods

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

cope1
Man City Transfer Target!

Dec 13, 2010, 4:21 PM

Post #1 of 53 (5670 views)
Shortcut
Snoods Can't Post or Reply Privately

Not restricted to the professional game of course, but I wondered what other people have made of the 'snood' fashion this season (and a bit last)?

Apparently 'snood' is the name for these neck scarves worn by the likes of Nasri and Tevez.

I hadn't given it much though until reading a BBC Sport article about it where both Alex Ferguson and Tony Cascarino are quoted as saying that real men wouldn't wear them. I'm sure that's true - like to see Vinnie Jones in one - but all I though when I read their opinions was that it doesn't really matter if you're a "real man" if you can win a football match.

So, I'm torn between thinking it's silly and thinking it doesn't really matter. What does anyone else think?

Isaac

Dec 13, 2010, 5:05 PM

Team(s): ABMU

Post #2 of 53 (5655 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cope1] Snoods [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I agree with Fergie and Cass, they're just pathetic even on players who have come from warmer climates.

villahopper
First Team Star

Dec 13, 2010, 5:23 PM

Team(s): Aston Villa Bromsgrove Sporting New York Jets

Post #3 of 53 (5649 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Isaac] Snoods [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Will Tevez need one in Spain or Argentina !!

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Dec 13, 2010, 7:50 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #4 of 53 (5621 views)
Shortcut
Re: [villahopper] Snoods [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I can't see all the recent fuss. Gladstone Small was wearing one years ago, wasn't he ?

cope1

Dec 13, 2010, 10:44 PM

Post #5 of 53 (5591 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Snoods [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Indeed! I don't see the problem myself. I think it's a fashion thing as Samir Nasri this evening wore a snood, gloves but had his sleeves rolled up. The common tata's suspected it was a superstitious thing althoguh Potato Head also wore gloves and missed a penno so maybe it only works for some.

UKPunk

Dec 13, 2010, 10:45 PM

Post #6 of 53 (5589 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Snoods [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

At school we used to play in all weathers, including snow. We wore neither gloves, undershorts, vests or indeed snoods. We kept warm by the old fashioned method of running around.

1-0-1-0-4-25-40-65-181-289=606

Last game: Mon 20/8/18
4. Basford United 1 Hednesford Town 2

VP

Dec 13, 2010, 10:47 PM

Post #7 of 53 (5587 views)
Shortcut
Re: [UKPunk] Snoods [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Vest and pants if you forgot your kit.

That's probably illegal now.

(This post was edited by VP on Dec 13, 2010, 10:48 PM)

UKPunk

Dec 13, 2010, 10:52 PM

Post #8 of 53 (5584 views)
Shortcut
Re: [VP] Snoods [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

Surely not for outdoor sports even in your day, VP. Tongue

VP

Dec 13, 2010, 11:02 PM

Post #9 of 53 (5578 views)
Shortcut
Re: [UKPunk] Snoods [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Surely not for outdoor sports even in your day, VP. Tongue

Cheeky sod - I'm probably younger than you. Angelic
TBH I can't remember if vest and pants was the norm for outdoor sports but I can remember my PE teacher well - Mr. Killick. He was old school and it wouldn't surprise me if he made us do cross country wearing very little if we had no kit. The poor little dears would call his style of physical education bullying now. Mind you - we called it bullying at the time.

Back on thread for fear of the forum police having a pop - first snood seen in the CCL a couple of weeks ago on a Guildford City player.

paulh66
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Dec 14, 2010, 12:25 AM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #10 of 53 (5561 views)
Shortcut

It needs a concerted effort from spectators to loudly and continuously mock any player who wears such a ridiculous thing. That'll soon stamp it out.

I remember watching Tranmere v Peterborough when the equally ridiculous craze of players pulling their socks over their knees first started. One of the Posh subs became the first player to set foot on Prenton Park so dressed (probably). Once the crowd's laughter had subsided, a few choruses of "Get your knees out for the lads" seemed to do the trick.

Garrincha's dog
First Team Star

Dec 14, 2010, 1:32 AM

Post #11 of 53 (5554 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] Snoods [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

They look bloody ridiculous, like some halfwit playing wearing a neck brace.

Still these players are so gormless that if the new trend was to wear a dog turd on each collar, there are plenty who would.

cope1

Dec 14, 2010, 9:51 AM

Post #12 of 53 (5525 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

We had a phase of people not wanting to do swimming so they left their trunks at home and - as you had to have your rugby kit at school always - they'd just not wash it (I don't think I washed mine for the first 3 years...) and wouldn't be allowed in with rugby shorts on. So our teacher got tough by making us do it in our pants (certainly not allowed these days I'm sure) which was particularly amusing when one of the tough lads tuned out to be wearing a jock strap. To this day I have no idea what possessed him.

acmold

Dec 14, 2010, 10:36 AM

Post #13 of 53 (5515 views)
Shortcut
Re: [VP] Snoods [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To

We used to have school kit, on sportsdays two teams were formed, one kept their jerseys on the others took them off and played as skins.

We had a sports teachers called Master Bates who was still playing hockey well into his 60's, god knows what he would think of today's players. He used to cycle six miles to school each day on the route he would cycle up a step hill shouting out detentions to those who had got off of their bikes to have a smoke.

Mishi

Dec 14, 2010, 11:05 AM

Team(s): Dulwich Hamlet

Post #14 of 53 (5508 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] Snoods [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

One of our PE teachers used to make us wear NO pants under our shorts in the gym...as he said it was unhealthy! With hindsight we should probably have rung up Childline, but Childline hadn't been invented back then! ;-)

Once saw an Under 18s game on some public park in the early nineties. clapton Rangers the team were. Ragamuffin Rovers, more like. Our manager didn't allow under garments, as in T-shirts, under the kit; & you got a fine if you wore boxers underneath, rather than proper briefs. He still manages, under 17s this season. Dread to think how he would react if one of his team wore a snood!

Anyway, in that Clapton Rangers game their team had an assortment of multi-coloured clothes under their shirts, & an assortment of different coloured gloves. It looked like they'd picked up their kit from a local charity shop! One of them had a tracksuited hoodie under his shirt, & played with the hood up!
That game was held up, as a local elderly West Indian gentleman walked across the pitch, spliff in one had, can of Red stripe in the other. He was in no rush to dash across the pitch, chatting to the players & ref! Turns out he'd come from an all night blues party in the tower blocks the other side of the park!

Also recall, maybe Under 14s, our same manager playing at Charlton Park. Very open & windswept. It was cold, & hailstones started coming down. He supplied his team with gloves to wear, aslways in ther kitbag if they wanted them, & all the same colour-navy blue; to match the Pink & Blue kit. Anyway it WAS cold as the hailstones came down. One poor lad was frozen to the spot, gloved hands covering his ears as he was stung by the hailstones. He just stood there, as the other team waltzed past him with the ball. Cue one not very happy manager bawling him from the sidelines!

Grounds visited: 741
Last new ground: Old Roan FC; John Roan Playing Fields; Kidrooke Park Road, London, SE3. (Bromley & South London Football Alliance Division One)
Last game: Tuesday 16th August 2019:Dulwich Hamlet 1, Wealdstone 0. [Vanarama National League South]
Matches watched this season: 17
2017/18-New English grounds: 3; & foreign: 0

cope1

Dec 14, 2010, 11:28 AM

Post #15 of 53 (5500 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mishi] Snoods [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Also recall, maybe Under 14s, our same manager playing at Charlton Park. Very open & windswept. It was cold, & hailstones started coming down. He supplied his team with gloves to wear, aslways in ther kitbag if they wanted them, & all the same colour-navy blue; to match the Pink & Blue kit. Anyway it WAS cold as the hailstones came down. One poor lad was frozen to the spot, gloved hands covering his ears as he was stung by the hailstones. He just stood there, as the other team waltzed past him with the ball. Cue one not very happy manager bawling him from the sidelines!

Reminds me of footballing debut, aged 7 in upstate New York. My mother had decided I should 'get involved' and signed me up for a 'soccer' team. I didn't have any idea what the rules were. I was played on the left wing and, starting the game standing at the junction of the halfway line and the touch line, I had it in my head I wasn't allowed to move until the ball touched me. It was also blazing hot. So I stood stone still for 15 minutes before throwing up through sun stroke and never played for them again.

My baseball career was similar, if slightly longer. I only got to 1st base twice - both times by being hit in the head by the ball. In the field I was put in right field because most batters are righties and hit the ball to left field. Apparently we won the league! Not that I noticed, I had no idea what the scores were in any of our games.

UKPunk

Dec 14, 2010, 7:06 PM

Post #16 of 53 (5424 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mishi] Snoods [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
One of our PE teachers used to make us wear NO pants under our shorts in the gym...as he said it was unhealthy! With hindsight we should probably have rung up Childline, but Childline hadn't been invented back then! ;-)

Thanks for reminding me, Mishi. Our PE teachers used to make us wear no pants regardless of whether we were inside or out. His reasoning was similar in that because we had only the pants we turned up in it would mean showering and then getting back into the same pair of pants which, as in Mishi's case, they said was unhealthy.

We also had a teacher who used to watch us go into the shower to "make sure got fully undressed and had a wash" rather than keep our towels round us and walk out the other side without getting wet. Funnily enough, you could tell who was used to playing in sports teams and who wasn't by their reluctance to strip off in front of the other lads.

When we were about 13 or 14 the girls relayed to us the fact that their (female) sports teacher actually got in the shower with them on a regular basis. (One girl's remark has always stayed with me: "She's got pubic hair down to her knees!") In those days we just didn't think there was anything sinister in it but these days there would be uproar.

(This post was edited by UKPunk on Dec 14, 2010, 7:15 PM)

acmold

Dec 15, 2010, 11:52 AM

Post #17 of 53 (5346 views)
Shortcut
Re: [UKPunk] Snoods [In reply to] Can't Post or

In my school the lads who had developed early and were hairy always seemed willing to have a shower but one or two lads even when they were 15 or 16 did not want to as they were embarrassed.

We had a female PE teacher who used to take us for R.E she would sit on the desk in her PE kit.

villahopper
First Team Star

Dec 20, 2010, 8:05 PM

Post #18 of 53 (5161 views)
Shortcut

Seen it all now. The Manchester City mascot against Everton was wearing a snood Crazy

Rustle
Youth Team Sub

Dec 20, 2010, 9:08 PM

Post #19 of 53 (5154 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
In my school the lads who had developed early and were hairy always seemed willing to have a shower but one or two lads even when they were 15 or 16 did not want to as they were embarrassed.

We had a female PE teacher who used to take us for R.E she would sit on the desk in her PE kit.

Do you reminisce about this often Andy, in your quieter moments...................Cool

Isaac

Dec 21, 2010, 11:43 AM

Team(s): ABMU

Post #20 of 53 (5109 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Rustle] Snoods [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Just imagine the likes of Dave Mackay, Norman Hunter, Tommy Smith and Ron Harris wearing gloves and a snoodSlySly

acmold

Dec 21, 2010, 1:35 PM

Post #21 of 53 (5091 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Rustle] Snoods [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To

In Reply To

Do you reminisce about this often Andy, in your quieter moments...................Cool

I can remember she was called Miss Penrose

Garrincha's dog
First Team Star

Dec 21, 2010, 2:51 PM

Post #22 of 53 (5076 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Isaac] Snoods [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Just imagine the likes of Dave Mackay, Norman Hunter, Tommy Smith and Ron Harris wearing gloves and a snoodSlySly

I would rather imagine the fun they would have chasing the lightweight around before depositing them on the cinder pitch surround. Cool

Then of course if the hardest of them all, Peter Storey got in on the action, well .........

youngster
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 22, 2010, 10:23 AM

Team(s):

Post #23 of 53 (4995 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Garrincha's dog] Snoods [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Watching Ipswich on the box Saturday evening, it was nice to see the majority of the players were wearing short sleeved shirts, no sign of a snood and only the odd glove on show. But as Suffolk folk have always been harder than those Northern pansies.

villahopper
First Team Star

Dec 28, 2010, 10:25 PM

Post #24 of 53 (4815 views)
Shortcut
Re: [youngster] Snoods [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Watching Ipswich on the box Saturday evening, it was nice to see the majority of the players were wearing short sleeved shirts, no sign of a snood and only the odd glove on show. But as Suffolk folk have always been harder than those Northern pansies.

Or maybe it hard to find gloves with 7 fingers

Rustle
Youth Team Sub

Dec 28, 2010, 11:14 PM

Post #25 of 53 (4808 views)
Shortcut
Re: [villahopper] Snoods [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Smile

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3