First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

ash
First Team Sub

Oct 17, 2010, 1:53 PM

Team(s): England, Forest & Gresley

Post #1 of 45 (14117 views)
Shortcut
Clubs who have changed nickname Can't Post or Reply Privately

The Wikipedia page for Coventry City notes that the original wording for their club song made reference to opposition known as the Oysters. Can anyone tell me who this was? I presume it's a club which has since changed its nickname.

On a related note, I occasionally set questions for a pub quiz, and thought that a round featuring 'former nicknames' might be an idea. Any suggestions? The ones I'm aware of are:

Sunderland - were Rokerites, now Black Cats

Palace - were Glaziers, now Eagles

I also have a vague recollection that Leeds may have once been the Peacocks and Brighton the Dophins but I can find no evidence for the latter so maybe I dreamt it...

jrev61
Man City Transfer Target!

Oct 17, 2010, 1:56 PM

Team(s): None

Post #2 of 45 (14116 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ash] Clubs who have changed nickname [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Reading were the 'Biscuitmen' now the 'Royals'.

jrev61

leohoenig
Administrator

Oct 17, 2010, 3:04 PM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #3 of 45 (14108 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jrev61] Clubs who have changed nickname [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Cheltenham were the 'Rubies', now the 'Robins'

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

Bantam Cymraeg
Chelsea Transfer Target

Oct 17, 2010, 3:18 PM

Team(s): Bradford City

Post #4 of 45 (14105 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] Clubs who have changed nickname [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Banbury used to be known as The Gay Puritans. For some reason they dropped the middle word......

sandhurstbee

Oct 17, 2010, 6:10 PM

Team(s): Brentford, Sandhurst Town and Most local Non League sides.

Post #5 of 45 (14086 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bantam Cymraeg] Clubs who have changed nickname [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Banbury used to be known as The Gay Puritans. For some reason they dropped the middle word......

Were they not Happy...Wink

Last New Ground 2016/17 (15) 29/4/2017 HIGHMOOR/IBIS RESERVES 1 Mortimer 1 - Thames Valley premier league, Premier Division

Wheelbarrow
First Team Star

Oct 17, 2010, 7:01 PM

Post #6 of 45 (14075 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sandhurstbee] Clubs who have changed nickname [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Wrexham switched from the Robins to the Red Dragons a few years ago.

sandhurstbee

Oct 17, 2010, 8:38 PM

Post #7 of 45 (14053 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Wheelbarrow] Clubs who have changed nickname [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

It is always difficult to know if a club has Officially dropped a nickname or is it just not used anymore. West Ham were known as The Irons or Ironsiders not heard them called that in years, Bradford City were the City Gents and Manchester City were known as The Citizens. Presumably Leicester City are no longer known as The Filberts.

Last New Ground 2016/17 (15) 29/4/2017 HIGHMOOR/IBIS RESERVES 1 Mortimer 1 - Thames Valley premier league, Premier Division

VP

Oct 17, 2010, 9:16 PM

Post #8 of 45 (14039 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sandhurstbee] Clubs who have changed nickname [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I've often wondered about nicknames - should clubs be choosing them themselves?
Camberley's used to always be plain old 'Town' or 'Reds' but I thought that was boring so I started using Krooners in the 1980's which has now stuck.
The thing is - other people (well, the nice ones) call us Cambo. They call the town Cambo. It annoys me no end but, if that's what people call us, is that not our nickname? But then, if we did it that way, half the teams inthe country would have the nickname 'scum'.

Confused of Baggo. Crazy

dottirofhod

Oct 17, 2010, 9:32 PM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #9 of 45 (14031 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ash] Clubs who have changed nickname [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I have known the Alex as The Robins , The Railwaymen and now The Alex .
Attempt at nicknames 2008/2009 http://www.pubquizhelp.com/sport/names.html Certainly not definitive .

July 1, 2019 to June 30,2020 = 109 / 92 / 17 / 4 x 0-0's. (You know my rules) @ 18 / 11 / 2019 . Belgium top 5 tiers 0-0-0-(0-1-0)-(0-1-0-2) / Holland top 4 tiers - 0-0-0-(0-0) / Lux top 2 tiers 0 -2. England top 10 tiers - 0. Now blogging at https://eccentricity.video.blog/

(This post was edited by dottirofhod on Oct 17, 2010, 10:00 PM)

mr creosote
Chelsea Transfer Target

Oct 18, 2010, 12:13 AM

Team(s): Grays Athletic, Haverhill Rovers

Post #10 of 45 (14003 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
It is always difficult to know if a club has Officially dropped a nickname or is it just not used anymore. West Ham were known as The Irons or Ironsiders not heard them called that in years, Bradford City were the City Gents and Manchester City were known as The Citizens. Presumably Leicester City are no longer known as The Filberts.

I'm sure "Come on you Irons" is still heard on the terraces(?) at Upton Park, although the fact that iron, or iron hoof to be more accurate, means something completely different in cockney rhyming slang may have caused its demise!

UKPunk

Oct 18, 2010, 12:37 AM

Post #11 of 45 (13996 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mr creosote] Clubs who have changed nickname [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Tottenham Hotspur - used to be 'The Lillywhites', have always been known as 'The Spurs', and in the last 30 years or so have been known to themselves as well as supporters of other clubs as 'The Yids' due to our large Jewish following. Indeed, the club programme always wishes our foreskinless followers a happy new year on the appointed day in the Hebrew calendar.

1-0-1-0-4-25-40-65-181-289=606

Last game: Mon 20/8/18
4. Basford United 1 Hednesford Town 2

cope1

Oct 18, 2010, 9:05 AM

Post #12 of 45 (13963 views)
Shortcut
Re: [UKPunk] Clubs who have changed nickname [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I think the Irons is still pretty common for West Ham, at least I hear it quite a lot.

The Lillywhites thing I don't think was ever an alternative nickname, but like calling Arsenal the Reds. I know people who sometimes use it although it's always in a jokey way, as though it is suggesting they are pure and perfect, never shouted at them from the terrace (this being the area just in front of the bar - as opposed to the stand, which is a well positioned table nearer the back of the pub).

Speaking of colours, I have always felt that clubs who used just a colour for their nickname just don't really have one. I would allow Coventry as the Sky Blues (although I think it's a bit of a limp effort) but in my 1988-89 sticker album both Forest and Liverpool were listed as 'the Reds'. It even acknowledged Forest as previously having been called 'Forest'! I'd say " 'pool" for Liverpool.

Anyway, my view on who chooses them is that the club has no more say than anyone else as they are supposed to be a colloquialism. In baseball these days every franchise has an official nickname, for new teams often voted for by fans. But up to the 1930s the club was just called 'Boston' or 'New York' and it was the sportswriters who mostly chose the names, just by using them in their articles.

ps. on a different note - and sorry to veer of course for a moment, it is said that 'New York is winning' while 'the Yankees are winning' which makes it all fairly easy. Now, I'm fairly sure most football fans in this country would say 'Arsenal are winning' but technically I suppose it should be 'Arsenal is winning' if you're asking your English teacher. I consider that I am speaking about the 11 players who are winning, but some would say it is the team, which is singular, that I am talking about.

(This post was edited by cope1 on Oct 18, 2010, 9:15 AM)

acmold

Oct 18, 2010, 10:52 AM

Post #13 of 45 (13947 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cope1] Clubs who have changed nickname [In reply to] Can't Post or

Oxford United changed from the U's to the Dons in the early 1970's, it was very shorted lived and soon changed back to the U's, though some newspapers refer to them as the Bulls.

garethwrexy

Oct 18, 2010, 12:38 PM

Team(s): wrexham and dulwich

Post #14 of 45 (13925 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Wheelbarrow] Clubs who have changed nickname [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

want the robins nickname back it would get rid of wrex the dragon ! thats one dragon i dont mind being slayed Smile

wrexham fc fa trophy winners 2013 !

southend statto
First Team Star

Oct 18, 2010, 1:09 PM

Team(s): most of my local sides

Post #15 of 45 (13913 views)
Shortcut
Re: [garethwrexy] Clubs who have changed nickname [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

weren't Coventry also known as the Singers or the Citizens at one time?

locally, Leigh Ramblers of the EOL are now The Rams but were once The Shrimpers.

Consistant newspaper reports from a century ago kept refering to Brentford as The Wasps rather than The Bees

sandhurstbee

Oct 18, 2010, 1:21 PM

Post #16 of 45 (13905 views)
Shortcut
Re: [southend statto] Clubs who have changed nickname [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

locally, Leigh Ramblers of the EOL are now The Rams but were once The Shrimpers.

Consistant newspaper reports from a century ago kept refering to Brentford as The Wasps rather than The Bees

Never heard that one before, don`t recall it mentioned in Bees History Books. About 1960 there was a suggestion to change the Nickname and `The Budgies` came out on top as an alternative though thankfully most people opted to retain The Bees nickname.

southend statto
First Team Star

Oct 18, 2010, 2:40 PM

Team(s): most of my local sides

Post #17 of 45 (13886 views)
Shortcut

Researching Southend United extensively pre-1920, the Bees were always referred to as the Wasps in match previews, reports and when doing a short history of the opposition.

Here is one example, a match report from 1908.

Wednesday, February 19th, 1908
United League
Southend United 0 Brentford 0

The game with Brentford, on Wednesday, was voted by those who saw it to have been one of the best contests seen at Roots Hall this season. The “wasps” brought down their first Southern League team; the clubs being represented as follows:
Southend: Cotton; Thomson and Molyneux; Emery, Owen and Axcell; Harrod, Barrett, Little, Watkins, and Routs.
Brentford: Williams; Watson and Clark; Jay, Hamilton and McAllister; Brown, Parsonage, Bowman, Corbett, and Underwood.
Despite the heavy going, the pace opened at a cracker; both ends being visited in quick succession. For Southend Harrod and Routs swung in centres with splendid accuracy, but the yellow and blacks’ defence was in tip-top form. Little, Watkins, and Barrett all fired in hot shots, but Williams gave a fine display between the sticks. Both elevens showed good combination, and Underwood was exceedingly prominent for the visitors. He careered down the wing time after time, and Cotton again demonstrated what a capable goalkeeper he is by saving from Bowman and Corbett. The interval brought a welcome cessation of hostilities to the players.
The second half was equally well fought out, and despite valiant sorties on the two citadels, the defences came out of the ordeal with flying colours. For some time the United pressed, but Williams was ever on the alert. Harrod was a thorn in the side of the Brentford defenders, and he dropped in lovely centres time after time, while Routs was little behind him. About half way through the second moiety, Underwood nipped in a lovely centre, but Corbett, with only Cotton to beat, and standing about eight yards from goal, shot woefully wide. Thankful for this escape, the Blues retaliated, and a centre from Routs seemed likely to provide the much needed goal. Little received the ball within a few feet of him, but he somehow got the ball entangled between his feet, and only managed to get in a tame shot, which Williams easily saved. Towards the close, Brentford did more of the attacking, but the final solo arrived with the copy-book unblotted.
The Blues defence, as usual, was stronger than the attack, although at times the old war horse, Molyneux, was outpaced. What he lacked in this, however, he made up in judgment. Axcell signalled his re-appearance by a fine display, while Owen was in one of his most versatile moods, and Emery, although having a hot wing to hold, did his work very well. Harrod has quite justified the promise he already gave, and on Wednesday’s form he seems to have filled the long-felt need of an outside right. Barrett was not in good form, being slow, while Little, in the centre, was extremely clever, but at times overdid it. He is not a really good shot, and at the close of Wednesday’s game he was evidently fagged. Watkins was not seen to advantage, but the strain of so much play makes any delinquencies excusable. Routs again lent colour to the theory that that he is an outside left and not an outside right, and his centres and those of Harrod were quite a feature of the game.
Williams, in goal, is one of the best players in the South, while Watson and Clark are a reliable pair of backs; they are also very sturdy, being far too heavy for the Southend forwards. The halves were not a brilliant line; McAllister being the pick. Underwood was the most prominent forward, and his centres were always dangerous. He was, however, starved in the second half. Bowman I saw play for Aston Villa some six seasons ago, and after leaving the Claret and Blues, he went to Blackburn Rovers, leaving them for Brentford. He is a smart pivot; being quick with his head and feet, smart to perceive an opening, and a fairly good shot. Brown and Parsonage combined well together.

PaulC

Oct 18, 2010, 2:51 PM

Team(s): AFC Darwen, Troon, Ayr Utd, Burnley

Post #18 of 45 (13880 views)
Shortcut
Re: [southend statto] Clubs who have changed nickname [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

Coventry City *were* Singers FC at one time.

ash
First Team Sub

Oct 18, 2010, 5:09 PM

Post #19 of 45 (13864 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PaulC] Clubs who have changed nickname [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Thanks for the replies.

No enlightenment on the identity of the 'Oysters' as yet though...

PaulC

Oct 18, 2010, 6:49 PM

Team(s): AFC Darwen, Troon, Ayr Utd, Burnley

Post #20 of 45 (13852 views)
Shortcut

Colchester United were the Oysters

ozzys mate
Reserve Team Sub

Oct 18, 2010, 9:43 PM

Team(s): yeovil town & slough town

Post #21 of 45 (13822 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PaulC] Clubs who have changed nickname [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

slough were the wasps but changed there nickname to the rebels when they joined the corinthian league in the mid 1940s

UKPunk

Oct 18, 2010, 11:29 PM

Post #22 of 45 (13790 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cope1] Clubs who have changed nickname [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
The Lillywhites thing I don't think was ever an alternative nickname

It certainly was among older supporters who could sometimes be heard shouting 'come on you lillywhites' from the terraces when I was a kid. I haven't heard it shouted since the '80's though.

1-0-1-0-4-25-40-65-181-289=606

Last game: Mon 20/8/18
4. Basford United 1 Hednesford Town 2

ash
First Team Sub

Oct 19, 2010, 12:11 AM

Post #23 of 45 (13780 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Colchester United were the Oysters

Ah. Thanks for this.

Although a bit of internet research suggests that in fact it was the older, amateur Colchester Town who were the Oysters. Shame they weren't the team to survive in the town - a more interesting kit as well as nickname.

http://en.wikipedia.org/.../Colchester_Town_F.C.

Red Adder
Youth Team Star

Oct 19, 2010, 9:52 AM

Post #24 of 45 (13744 views)
Shortcut

Weren't Colchester Town one of the teams that joined to form Colchester United ?

Up the road Ipswich sort of adopted the Tractor Boys tag that was applied rather derogatorily by others when they promoted to the Prem in 2000 - its not used as much now - and they call Norwich the Budgies when taking the proverbial

Sarumio

Oct 19, 2010, 10:17 PM

Team(s): Salisbury

Post #25 of 45 (13678 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Red Adder] Clubs who have changed nickname [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Weren't Colchester Town one of the teams that joined to form Colchester United ?

Up the road Ipswich sort of adopted the Tractor Boys tag that was applied rather derogatorily by others when they promoted to the Prem in 2000 - its not used as much now - and they call Norwich the Budgies when taking the proverbial

I thought Colchester Town folded (1936-ish) and Colchester United formed to take their place???

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3