Home: Non League Football Information: History:
Peppard F.C

maroon
Junior Team Regular

Aug 24, 2010, 6:58 PM

Post #1 of 24 (6840 views)
Shortcut
Peppard F.C Can't Post or Reply Privately

Quite impressed with the feed back from coventry sporting thread, would it be a good idea to have a gone but not forgotten thread for teams ?
anyone know anything about Peppard, not sure if they were berks or oxon ?

dottirofhod
Man City Transfer Target!

Aug 24, 2010, 11:32 PM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #2 of 24 (6813 views)
Shortcut
Re: [maroon] Peppard F.C [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Quite impressed with the feed back from coventry sporting thread, would it be a good idea to have a gone but not forgotten thread for teams ?

Vote 1 . No .

Can be found at http://www.crewefc.org.uk (Def not a blog).

Also new site @ http://beta.crewefc.org.uk (Also not a blog).

VP

Aug 25, 2010, 12:31 AM

Team(s): Camberley Town

Post #3 of 24 (6802 views)
Shortcut

Ignoring our resident troll I don't know much about the team but their ground was in Oxfordshire.
They were a decent side in the Combined Counties League at the time and would have been promoted to the Isthmian League in 1993 and 1994 if they had the facilities. I don't know if it was the fact that they couldn't progress that led to their demise or not.

dottirofhod

Aug 25, 2010, 10:25 AM

Post #4 of 24 (6775 views)
Shortcut
Re: [VP] Peppard F.C [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Many thanks , only answering a question that was asked .
Anyway ignoring our resident castigator I visited Bishopswood Sports Centre , RG4 9BT on 04/05/89 when they were in the Chiltonian League. As VP guesses their facilities were poor . Those days they were called Sonning Common Peppard.
Their heady days were when they had money and changed their name to Peppard FC in time for the 90/91 season . They were champions of their league for the next 4 seasons , first two in The Chiltonian League and the second 2 in the Co CO. They dallied with playing at Palmer Park , Reading trying to improve their status but the ground/pitch could not be brought up to requirements .
They dropped back into the Chiltonian in 96/97 , then that league merged with the Hellenic in 00/01 they lasted a couple of seasons in that and gave it up .
Lost the backer/lack of facilities/no ambition ?

acmold

Aug 25, 2010, 10:50 AM

Post #5 of 24 (6769 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dottirofhod] Peppard F.C [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Peppard were a very good side for a number of years but they had poor facilites, a railed off pitch and a clubhouse and dressing complex 60 or 70 yards from the pitch. In the end they could not find a ground to progress up the Pyramid, they tried Palmer Park which is in Berks but the pitch was to small, they were unable to upgrade their own ground. The money then dried up and many of the players went to AFC Wallingford and Thame United, both of whom soon had money worries.

The complex is now used by Reading League side Park United or it was last season.

buncranaboy

Aug 25, 2010, 12:20 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #6 of 24 (6754 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] Peppard F.C [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

...........and a more than decent crowd of 368 on Bank Holiday Monday 30th May 1994 when they beat Ashford Town 7-1 in what must have been a Combined Counties League title decider. If I could only find the programme..............

dottirofhod

Aug 25, 2010, 12:31 PM

Post #7 of 24 (6750 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Peppard F.C [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Well they won league by 10 points , can"t imagine any June games ?

acmold

Aug 25, 2010, 1:01 PM

Post #8 of 24 (6744 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Well they won league by 10 points , can"t imagine any June games ?

I went on the 24th May v Ash that season and according to the table Peppard had played 34 out of 40 and Ashford 35 out of 40 and both had 91 points. Seem to remember I also went to a game against Frimley Green and the ref postponed it as Frimley Green refused to start the game as they only had 8 or 9 players that was on Friday 27th, I think. Also looking at the prog I can't balance games back to 40 for Peppard, they had three including the 24th May listed plus we presume one on Saturday 28th and Monday 30th v Ashford which only makes 39, maybe they did then play on 31st. So if Ashford had beaten them on Monday they then lost on Tuesday and were not awarded the points against Frimley Green they could in theory before play on Monday end up with 9 less than what they actually got and Ashford could have got three more than they did get, which meant Ashford would have won the league. Though Peppard won the league by 10 points some of those points may have been awarded at a committee meeting after the end of the season.

KnowYourMarket

Aug 27, 2010, 11:54 AM

Team(s): WBA, FC Saarbruecken, Brierley Hill Alliance (RIP)

Post #9 of 24 (6641 views)
Shortcut

Park United still use Bishopswood.

Yam saft!

Yorks Amateur
Reserve Team Star

Aug 29, 2010, 10:28 PM

Team(s):

Post #10 of 24 (6522 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

Peppard must have had a Sunday team, as they entered the FA Sunday Cup in 1998/99.

They were affiliated to the Oxfordshire FA (it's quite rare for teams from Oxon to compete in the Sunday Cup) but were actually members of the Reading Sunday league.

Their home ground was down as Peppard FC. They played one game (which they lost) and did not bother to re-enter.

Blogging about the FA Sunday Cup at:
http://fasundaycup.blogspot.com/

sandhurstbee
Chelsea Transfer Target

Sep 19, 2010, 6:08 PM

Team(s): Brentford, Sandhurst Town and Most local Non League sides.

Post #11 of 24 (6196 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Peppard F.C [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
...........and a more than decent crowd of 368 on Bank Holiday Monday 30th May 1994 when they beat Ashford Town 7-1 in what must have been a Combined Counties League title decider. If I could only find the programme..............

I was at that game and it did indeed clinch the title for Peppard, If my memory serves me correct they played at Home again the next night winning 4-0, cant remember who against possibly Westfield or Cranleigh. Were rumoured to be paying star Striker Andy Sheldrick 150 a week, Lot of money in 1994 in the Combined Counties League where a lot of clubs only paid expenses.

Last New Ground 2014/15 (22) 18/10/2014 DW Stadium, Loire Drive WIGAN ATHLETIC 0 Brentford 0 - Championship

PROGRAMME WEBSITE: www.freewebs.com/barry-neighbour-sports-programmes

acmold

Sep 20, 2010, 9:55 AM

Post #12 of 24 (6140 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Yorks Amateur] Peppard F.C [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Peppard must have had a Sunday team, as they entered the FA Sunday Cup in 1998/99.

They were affiliated to the Oxfordshire FA (it's quite rare for teams from Oxon to compete in the Sunday Cup) but were actually members of the Reading Sunday league.

Their home ground was down as Peppard FC. They played one game (which they lost) and did not bother to re-enter.

The Sunday side became Theale but carried on playing Sunday Cup ties at Peppard. Very few teams if any have entered the Sunday Cup from the Oxford Sunday League (now defunct) or the Banbury Sunday League also not sure if any have entered from the Aylesbury Sunday League which covers the east of the county. I think the odd one may have from the UTV but until recently that was mostly B&B clubs.

acmold

Sep 20, 2010, 9:57 AM

Post #13 of 24 (6139 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sandhurstbee] Peppard F.C [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

I was at that game and it did indeed clinch the title for Peppard, If my memory serves me correct they played at Home again the next night winning 4-0, cant remember who against possibly Westfield or Cranleigh. Were rumoured to be paying star Striker Andy Sheldrick 150 a week, Lot of money in 1994 in the Combined Counties League where a lot of clubs only paid expenses.

Rumours were most of the side were on better money than clubs were paying in the Southern / Isthmian League. A number of clubs tried to sign Peppard players but found their wage demands to high.

Ashtree RockBee
First Team Regular

Jan 16, 2011, 10:35 PM

Team(s): Ashford Town (Middlesex), Bognor Regis Town, Brentford

Post #14 of 24 (5442 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Well they won league by 10 points , can't imagine any June games ?

Having lost their first 2 league matches of the season, Ashford went on an unbeaten run of 35 games (winning 31) and were one point behind going into the last three games, but then lost all three - at home to DCA Basingstoke, the penultimate game at Peppard, and the final game 3-2 at Farleigh Rovers on Thursday 2nd June.

Beano
Reserve Team Regular

Jan 17, 2011, 12:13 AM

Team(s):

Post #15 of 24 (5425 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ashtree RockBee] Peppard F.C [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The match at Farleigh is recorded in the official club records as having taken place on 31/05/94 - presumably because football in June was verboten.

Ashford played 60-odd games that season and won nothing! Runners-up in three competions... All to Peppard.

Excluding the Farleigh match, the club played eleven first team matches in the month of May!

(This post was edited by Beano on Jan 17, 2011, 12:17 AM)

tonysab
Junior Team Sub

Mar 18, 2011, 1:43 PM

Team(s): Abingdon Town, Oxford United

Post #16 of 24 (4473 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Beano] Peppard F.C [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I went there on 5th December 1992 and videoed a 4-3 victory over Ditton. I've just got round to uploading my vids to YouTube - for those interested the video for this can be viewed here -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKJAe8PdOFY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Unfortunately I missed 2 of the goals....

TonyD
Reserve Team Regular

Dec 5, 2013, 1:53 AM

Team(s): Sutton United, Crystal Palace

Post #17 of 24 (1741 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Many thanks , only answering a question that was asked .
Anyway ignoring our resident castigator I visited Bishopswood Sports Centre , RG4 9BT on 04/05/89 when they were in the Chiltonian League. As VP guesses their facilities were poor . Those days they were called Sonning Common Peppard.
Their heady days were when they had money and changed their name to Peppard FC in time for the 90/91 season . They were champions of their league for the next 4 seasons , first two in The Chiltonian League and the second 2 in the Co CO. They dallied with playing at Palmer Park , Reading trying to improve their status but the ground/pitch could not be brought up to requirements .
They dropped back into the Chiltonian in 96/97 , then that league merged with the Hellenic in 00/01 they lasted a couple of seasons in that and gave it up .
Lost the backer/lack of facilities/no ambition ?

I went to a Highmoor-Ibis v Binfield game earlier in the week, who now play at Palmer Park, and I thought I remembered that someone else used to play there but left because the pitch was too small. And here we are!

So has the pitch been enlarged (it didn't look like it and it is restricted by the running track) or have the requirements changed.

P.S. Surprised by the very poor standard of play, maybe I was just unlucky on the night?

acmold

Dec 5, 2013, 11:59 AM

Post #18 of 24 (1694 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TonyD] Peppard F.C [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Have they not moved the touchlines out a bit and put some sort of "Astroturf" down for the linos to run on.

TonyD
Reserve Team Regular

Dec 5, 2013, 12:32 PM

Team(s): Sutton United, Crystal Palace

Post #19 of 24 (1688 views)
Shortcut

They might have done. Certainly the dugouts looked to be movable affairs that were placed on the track. If it was that easy, I wonder why Peppard didn't do it?

oxpete
First Team Star

Dec 5, 2013, 4:44 PM

Team(s): Kidlington, Abingdon Town, Pompey

Post #20 of 24 (1663 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TonyD] Peppard F.C [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Peppard moving out of Palmer Park Stadium was more likely tied up in their general financial demise due to rampant over-ambition. The issue of the smaller-than-regulation-pitch grabbed the headlines because of their embarrassing ejection from the FA Vase after they had beaten Oxford City in the First Round at Palmer Park. As I've heard it, City realised that the pitch was too small and complained, and Peppard were booted out of the competition.

Last season, I saw a Sunday match at the old ground near Sonning Common. Its still a half-decent set-up and would make a good home for any ambitious step6 side - fully railed, plenty of parking, clubhouse, no nimby neighbours to complain about floodlights, and plenty of space to throw up an Atcost or two.

New ticks 2014/15 season: Milton Keynes Dons, Chessington & Hook United, Ashford Town (Middx), Egham Town, Evesham United, Watchfield Military Academy, Cherwell School, Emmer Green, Maidstone United, Dartford, HorshamYMCA.

acmold

Dec 6, 2013, 9:42 AM

Post #21 of 24 (1620 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oxpete] Peppard F.C [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Oxford City knew the pitch was to small before the game and knew if they lost they could complain. Even the City players knew about it and one or two did not play in the tie as they thought it was rather unsporting and even silly that what could (and did) end up being a non game would actually take place.

sandhurstbee
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 7, 2013, 12:14 PM

Team(s): Brentford, Sandhurst Town and Most local Non League sides.

Post #22 of 24 (1535 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Last season, I saw a Sunday match at the old ground near Sonning Common. Its still a half-decent set-up and would make a good home for any ambitious step6 side - fully railed, plenty of parking, clubhouse, no nimby neighbours to complain about floodlights, and plenty of space to throw up an Atcost or two.

Seem to remember the big problem was that it shared with the cricket Pitch so could not be enclosed.

Last New Ground 2014/15 (22) 18/10/2014 DW Stadium, Loire Drive WIGAN ATHLETIC 0 Brentford 0 - Championship

PROGRAMME WEBSITE: www.freewebs.com/barry-neighbour-sports-programmes

oxpete
First Team Star

Dec 9, 2013, 4:32 PM

Team(s): Kidlington, Abingdon Town, Pompey

Post #23 of 24 (1468 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sandhurstbee] Peppard F.C [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Seem to remember the big problem was that it shared with the cricket Pitch so could not be enclosed.

The football pitch is enclosed (fully railed), and there is plenty of space for cricket too. The whole venue is such a spacious set-up that its surprising that more hasn't been made of the place.

New ticks 2014/15 season: Milton Keynes Dons, Chessington & Hook United, Ashford Town (Middx), Egham Town, Evesham United, Watchfield Military Academy, Cherwell School, Emmer Green, Maidstone United, Dartford, HorshamYMCA.

acmold

Dec 9, 2013, 5:08 PM

Post #24 of 24 (1461 views)
Shortcut

Think planning permission and maybe electricity supply for floodlights may have been the problem. In the days Peppard would have wanted to develop it you would have needed 3 phase electric and they would have had to have paid for the supply and cables to be upgraded. I remember even at Abingdon Town there was not a 3 phase supply at one point so I'm sure there would not have been 3 phase anywhere near Peppard's ground.

The Soccerlinks Hit List

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3