Viking Greenford/Viking Sports

Michael HandYFC
Ballboy/girl

Aug 24, 2010, 1:29 PM

Post #1 of 22 (24538 views)
Shortcut
Viking Greenford/Viking Sports Can't Post or Reply Privately

Hi all,

My very first post on this wonderful site. I'll get to the point straight away. Basically, last season I was playing for Viking Sports in the London Commercial League and know that the club used to play a very decent standard with a first team and reserves. I've searched high and low for information on the club, as Viking Greenford and Viking Sports, but cannot really find any information on the club which I am looking for. I was wondering whether any of you fellow football fanatics would have had any experiences with Viking Greenford/Viking Sports or would know of anywhere that I could obtain information on the history of the club. Please feel free to post your experiences, I would really like to know as I am in the progress of writing up the history of the club.

All help would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Michael

Les
Reserve Team Regular

Aug 24, 2010, 1:57 PM

Team(s): Arsenal, Brentford, Celtic, Kingstonian

Post #2 of 22 (24528 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Michael HandYFC] Viking Greenford/Viking Sports [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

This link should help a bit.

http://www.fchd.btinternet.co.uk/indexv.htm

Michael HandYFC
Ballboy/girl

Aug 24, 2010, 2:04 PM

Post #3 of 22 (24523 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Les] Viking Greenford/Viking Sports [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Thanks mate, I've already had a little look on there. Not a bad site, just wanting some information from before then and peoples experiences if there is any

escobar
Junior Team Star

Aug 29, 2010, 11:02 AM

Post #4 of 22 (24283 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Michael HandYFC] Viking Greenford/Viking Sports [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I visited Viking many times with various Men's and Women's teams over the years. It doesn't seem to have changed much apart from the tarmac car park it now has opposed to the bumpy dirt surface of old.
I went there with Feltham to play Neasden Foundation in the Combined Counties League and they had to fill in some holes where they had repositioned the goalposts before the referee would start the match.
The biggest crowd i saw there was for an F.A. Youth Cup match between Viking v Wimbledon (then of the F.A. Premiership).

sandhurstbee
Man City Transfer Target!

Sep 28, 2010, 1:21 PM

Team(s): Brentford, Sandhurst Town and Most local Non League sides.

Post #5 of 22 (23560 views)
Shortcut
Re: [escobar] Viking Greenford/Viking Sports [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I went there a few times over the years, the guys who ran it had been there Donkeys years, I believe Roy Bartlett had been with the club since its formation around 1945. I knew the Secretary John Bennett through his running the now defunct Ealing Youth League, John had also been there about 30 odd years and had spent most of that time as a Middlesex County official. They had a lot of problems with the pitch and nearly folded when the original clubhouse was burnt down by local yobs. Sad day when they finally called it a day due to lack of Finances and help on match days.

Last New Ground 2016/17 (15) 29/4/2017 HIGHMOOR/IBIS RESERVES 1 Mortimer 1 - Thames Valley premier league, Premier Division

Chapeltom
Chelsea Transfer Target

Sep 28, 2010, 7:48 PM

Team(s): Sheffield Wednesday (ENG), Uni Lions (Taiwan baseball)

Post #6 of 22 (23520 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sandhurstbee] Viking Greenford/Viking Sports [In reply to] Can't Post or

Anyone got any pics/links to pics of the pitch mentioned that I've heard was "dangerous" ?

VP

Sep 28, 2010, 8:40 PM

Post #7 of 22 (23512 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Chapeltom] Viking Greenford/Viking Sports [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Anyone got any pics/links to pics of the pitch mentioned that I've heard was "dangerous" ?

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/...AvenueParkGreenford#

Taken July 2009.

The pitch wasn't 'dangerous' all the time but there must be some underlying problem with it as Bedfont Green tried to put it right while they were using it but without success. I think it only became unplayable during dry spells. Once, when our reserves played Green's reserves on it, our assistant manager described the pitch as being like ploughed concrete.

(This post was edited by VP on Sep 28, 2010, 8:43 PM)

sandhurstbee

Sep 30, 2010, 11:47 AM

Team(s): Brentford, Sandhurst Town and Most local Non League sides.

Post #8 of 22 (23432 views)
Shortcut
Re: [VP] Viking Greenford/Viking Sports [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/...AvenueParkGreenford#

Taken July 2009.

The pitch wasn't 'dangerous' all the time but there must be some underlying problem with it as Bedfont Green tried to put it right while they were using it but without success. I think it only became unplayable during dry spells. Once, when our reserves played Green's reserves on it, our assistant manager described the pitch as being like ploughed concrete.

I saw Sandhurst there once and the game was Abandoned due to the dangerous conditions, Large cracks in the pitch when it was dry and frozen ruts in the winter. Managed to see 2nd Half of Hanwell Town on the day of the abandonment. Had already `Ticked it` before anyone bothers picking up on the Half a Game Crazy

Last New Ground 2016/17 (15) 29/4/2017 HIGHMOOR/IBIS RESERVES 1 Mortimer 1 - Thames Valley premier league, Premier Division

vikingswinger
Ballboy/girl

Mar 2, 2011, 8:59 PM

Post #9 of 22 (21648 views)
Shortcut

Hello Michael,Smile
I was on the aborted 1968 Viking Sports Balkan Tour. We were in Czechoslovakia when the Russians invaded. I have memorabilia from those days. Are you interested?
I'm looking for Viking Sports history too.
Richard

RPJ

Mishi

Apr 22, 2011, 11:48 PM

Team(s): Dulwich Hamlet

Post #10 of 22 (20713 views)
Shortcut
Re: [vikingswinger] Viking Greenford/Viking Sports [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In 1983 a book called "Let's Have A Ball" was written by Roy Bartlett. He was a founder member of Viking Sports. While not a club history, it is full of anecdotes from him about the club down the years. It includes many tales from their overseas tours.

Apologies for not mentioning it earlier, I knew I had a copy somewhere, but coudn't locate it. I've had a hunt for it today & found it, so I can now tell you the title of it.

Grounds visited: 741
Last new ground: Old Roan FC; John Roan Playing Fields; Kidrooke Park Road, London, SE3. (Bromley & South London Football Alliance Division One)
Last game: Tuesday 20th August 2019: Fisher 0 Erith Town 0 -abandoned at half time due to partial fllodlight failure [Southern Counties East League Premier Division]
Matches watched this season: 21
2017/18-New English grounds: 3; & foreign: 0

RussWWFC
First Team Star

Jun 7, 2012, 9:30 PM

Team(s): Wycombe Wanderers

Post #11 of 22 (18085 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mishi] Viking Greenford/Viking Sports [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Found this old thread while trying to find if anyone still plays at the old Viking ground, thought Bedfont Sports did, but their site lists Bedfont Social Club as their home, shame as I would have gone to their friendly v Knaphill had it been at the Viking ground

Visit my Blog - The Wycombe Wanderer
Follow me on Twitter @RussWWFC

VP

Jun 7, 2012, 11:09 PM

Post #12 of 22 (18069 views)
Shortcut
Re: [RussWWFC] Viking Greenford/Viking Sports [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Found this old thread while trying to find if anyone still plays at the old Viking ground, thought Bedfont Sports did, but their site lists Bedfont Social Club as their home, shame as I would have gone to their friendly v Knaphill had it been at the Viking ground

Bedfont Sports only started as a Saturday side in 2002 and have always been at their present location which isn't Bedfont Social Club. It's next door to that and is known as theBedfont Sports Recreation Ground.
Bedfont Green and their reserves used the Viking Ground (Avenue Park) for a few years.

The Social Club ground, also known as The Orchard, used to be Bedfont FC with Feltham groundsharing in later years. When Bedfont FC folded, Bedfont Town (who had changed their name from Bedfont Green) moved in. Now Town (Green) have stopped playing senior football it's just Feltham FC playing there and they'll shortly be changing their name to Bedfont & Feltham FC as they've recently merged with the Social Club.
I can't see anything on Sports' site regarding friendlies (it's possible they, or someone else, could be using the Viking ground for friendlies) and Knaphill's site, which seems to be up to date, doesn't mention playing Sports either.

Mishi

Jun 8, 2012, 2:05 PM

Team(s): Dulwich Hamlet

Post #13 of 22 (18019 views)
Shortcut
Re: [VP] Viking Greenford/Viking Sports [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I think Tokyngton Manor were using it, but they seem to have disappeared. There was a small stand behind the goal, at the clubhouse end, but I am pretty sure that Bedfont Green/Town took it with them when they left.

The pitch was notoriously poor here, even by non-league standards, so much so that the ground was closed at times (can't recall when) for the pitch being too dangerous to play on.

Grounds visited: 741
Last new ground: Old Roan FC; John Roan Playing Fields; Kidrooke Park Road, London, SE3. (Bromley & South London Football Alliance Division One)
Last game: Tuesday 20th August 2019: Fisher 0 Erith Town 0 -abandoned at half time due to partial fllodlight failure [Southern Counties East League Premier Division]
Matches watched this season: 21
2017/18-New English grounds: 3; & foreign: 0

RussWWFC
First Team Star

Jun 8, 2012, 3:20 PM

Post #14 of 22 (18012 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mishi] Viking Greenford/Viking Sports [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Thanks for the help, I got the pre season friendly off of the section on this board.

Special interest to go there, was the nearest ground to where I grew up, just beating North Greenford United.

As for the closest ground to where I was born, put in the postcode and it's right near Hanwell Town FC

Chris1963

Jun 8, 2012, 5:46 PM

Team(s): Oxford United / Groundhopper

Post #15 of 22 (17996 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
I think Tokyngton Manor were using it, but they seem to have disappeared. There was a small stand behind the goal, at the clubhouse end, but I am pretty sure that Bedfont Green/Town took it with them when they left.

Tokyngton Manor were indeed using it - I saw them play a midweek game there about 3 years ago. However, I think the stand behind the goal was a permanent structure which had been there for many years, rather than a portable kit stand of the type so widely seen at other grounds these days.

TheLinnet
Youth Team Sub

Jun 11, 2012, 12:00 PM

Team(s): Ruislip Manor(RIP), Middlesex C.C.C. King's Lynn Stars

Post #16 of 22 (17874 views)
Shortcut
Re: [RussWWFC] Viking Greenford/Viking Sports [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

London Tigers of the SSML Prem. Div. have the ground at the moment.

I did hear they had some problems with theft from the clubhouse/dressing rooms, so it may not be in use for the time being.

WE ATE'NT DEAD (with acknowledgement to the late great Terry Pratchett)
Last new ground (Football) - Emirates Stadium
Last new ground (Cricket) - Trent Bridge
Last new track (Speedway) - Buxton

(This post was edited by TheLinnet on Jun 11, 2012, 12:05 PM)

RussWWFC
First Team Star

Jun 11, 2012, 3:03 PM

Post #17 of 22 (17842 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TheLinnet] Viking Greenford/Viking Sports [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Nice, went to the old ground at Kingsbury to take pictures, it's worth bearing in mind if there is nowt else on

peter o
Ballboy/girl

Oct 6, 2014, 4:20 PM

Post #18 of 22 (14474 views)
Shortcut
Re: [vikingswinger] Viking Greenford/Viking Sports [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I was on the 1968 tour to Czechoslovakia as well. I was guest player invited from Tansley FC. The coach driver (and the coach - vehicular - too) was the one who drove the Beatles around in the Magical Mystery tour film. After a day of worry after the Russians invaded we went to Vienna. Tanks & soldiers everywhere. I also went on the Viking tour to Yugoslavia a year or so later. Great club - nice guys. All the best from Pete Olsen

cope1

Oct 6, 2014, 6:20 PM

Post #19 of 22 (14445 views)
Shortcut

Is Viking now a London Marathon PF? If it is then NUFC Oilers (Southern Amateur League) are there but I suspect it's just nearby.

(This post was edited by cope1 on Oct 27, 2014, 9:20 PM)

GRIFFON
First Team Star

Oct 19, 2014, 10:59 AM

Team(s): Nuneaton Griff

Post #20 of 22 (14148 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cope1] Viking Greenford/Viking Sports [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I recently did a piece about Viking in my series in the Nuneaton Griff programme, here it is -

138) Viking Sports

How can I do justice to Viking Sports in the few short paragraphs available, the short answer is that I cannot! Few clubs of apparent small stature have left such a mark on the football world as they did in the sixty years prior to their demise in 2003. Founder Roy Bartlett was still there at the end!
The roots of Viking (Sports) go back to the grim days of 1944 when Roy Bartlett started his working life at AEC in Southall where at lunchtimes workers kicked around the yard a eballf made of rags and string! The following year Roy and his motley collection of players formed Viking F.C., the name coming from the answer in a crossword puzzle of the time! Few owned boots but they dyed white shirts yellow and got hold of baggy army shorts and the thickest socks they could find irrespective of colour.
Viking lost their first match 13-0 but by 1948 they were members of the Ealing Youth League and later the now defunct Dauntless League where they progressed upwards until in 1956 they joined the amateur Nemean League. Progress was good and over the years the club were members of the Middlesex League 1970 - 1980, Hellenic League 1980-1991 and Combined Counties League 1991-2003, in 1999 the name of the club was changed to Viking Greenford.
The club had mixed success over the years as most do but it was away from the bread and butter league fixtures where the club made its name. In 1948 they played the first of ninety two matches against foreign opposition when they travelled to Belgium. They competed in front of 10,000 seated fans in Ukraine and in 1968 they undertook a tour of Bulgaria, Rumania and Czechoslavakia. After drawing 2-2 with Sokul in the latter country the town was surrounded by troops of the Warsaw Pact and the touring party were marooned for two days before escaping on a hazardous 300 mile coach journey to Austria. The club continued to tour but the worse event to befall them was when vandals burnt down the clubhouse and dressing rooms in 1989, the crowds dropped off as did the people helping run the club. Two of their famous old boys were Alan Devonshire of West Ham United and Les Ferdinand of Spurs and England. The club always issued a fine programme noted for imaginative cover designs.

(This post was edited by GRIFFON on Oct 19, 2014, 11:00 AM)

CND67
First Team Star

Oct 26, 2014, 8:12 PM

Team(s): Wolverhampton Wanderers & England

Post #21 of 22 (13667 views)
Shortcut
Re: [GRIFFON] Viking Greenford/Viking Sports [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

So does anyone know what happened to Viking Sports ground? Does it still exist? Does anyone use it?

Last New Ground: Retford FC
Grounds Visited: 1,136

paulh66
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Oct 26, 2014, 8:19 PM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #22 of 22 (13661 views)
Shortcut
Re: [CND67] Viking Greenford/Viking Sports [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Spartan South Midlands side London Tigers play there now.

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3