INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: All Other Football Interests: All other football:
leaving early

morecambewba
Youth Team Regular

Aug 15, 2010, 9:41 PM

Team(s): west brom, morecambe, besitkas.

Post #1 of 22 (10635 views)
Shortcut
leaving early Can't Post or Reply Privately

in 45 years of going to matches i have rarely left a match early. the only times have been a few minutes from time because i have had to catch a last train or bus.
i am lucky in that i have never had to leave a match due to illness or phone call from home etc.
but just over a week ago i broke my duck in having to leave at half time. i had got some free tickets to see preston v doncaster and took a 7 year old nephew who wanted to go and had never been to a football match before. to cut a long story short it was a mistake and within ten minutes his interest had gone and i had a restless and bored child on my hands sat right bang in the middle of a row of seats surrounded by what seemed to be the pne oap section who were not too happy about his unsettling presence.

the point of my tale is that on heading for the exit i asked a steward to let us out . her reply was

"blimey must be bad - you are the 5th request already to leave" (pne 2 down and struggling at that point). and as the gate closed it suddenly opened again with 3 young men stating what a waste of time it had been. and that was just one exit gate!!

i was amazed that it was only the first game of the season and people were already leaving at half time. something i just couldnt comprehend.

at least the tickets were free and i saw the two goals of the game.

and to think i had given up a first visit to afc darwen

northstandexile
First Team Regular

Aug 16, 2010, 12:16 AM

Team(s): Mansfield Town

Post #2 of 22 (10611 views)
Shortcut
Re: [morecambewba] leaving early [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Apparently a lot left early at Wigan as well. Cool

It must be a north-west thing.

scottywalds
First Team Star

Aug 16, 2010, 10:14 AM

Team(s): Boston United

Post #3 of 22 (10589 views)
Shortcut
Re: [northstandexile] leaving early [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Which game was it this weekend where there was a tannoy announcement for someone to call home as his wife had gone into labour?

leohoenig
Administrator

Aug 16, 2010, 10:29 AM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #4 of 22 (10585 views)
Shortcut
Re: [scottywalds] leaving early [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Which game was it this weekend where there was a tannoy announcement for someone to call home as his wife had gone into labour?

Very embarassing if its at the Conservative Club
Announcements of this type used to be common, but have gone out of fashion in these days of mobile phones.

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

acmold
Man City Transfer Target!

Aug 16, 2010, 11:33 AM

Post #5 of 22 (10576 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] leaving early [In reply to] Can't Post or

Rumour has it a number of Bristol Rovers fans were seen leaving the Kassam Stadium after 29 minutes last week.

zebedee
First Team Star

Aug 16, 2010, 1:26 PM

Team(s): Southport

Post #6 of 22 (10559 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

I think it was at Fulham - it was definitely one of the Premier League games as it was on Match of the Day.

Isaac

Aug 16, 2010, 2:37 PM

Team(s): ABMU

Post #7 of 22 (10542 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

I heard that on MOTD but can't remember which game it was, with (almost) everybody having a mobile phone nowadays announcements like that seem to be a thing of the past.

(This post was edited by Isaac on Aug 16, 2010, 2:57 PM)

Richard Rundle

Aug 16, 2010, 7:21 PM

Post #8 of 22 (10503 views)
Shortcut
Re: [zebedee] leaving early [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

I think it was at Fulham - it was definitely one of the Premier League games as it was on Match of the Day.

Can't have been "at Fulham" - Fulham were away at Bolton.

--
Richard

Mishi

Aug 16, 2010, 8:37 PM

Team(s): Dulwich Hamlet

Post #9 of 22 (10487 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Richard Rundle] leaving early [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

There was once an announcment at the old Den back in the late seventies: "Would the Dulwich Hamlet groundsman please return there as he has the keys to the floodlights", which sent a peal of laughter round the ground, apparently.

Was once at the old Reading ground, Elm Park, when a Millwall fan barricaded himself in the tannoy box, & spent the entire second half using it, slagging off the home fans, the Millwall team, his mates...and the large group of riot police helplessly outside it, at the back of the stand! The Daily Mirror reported the next day that Millwall hooligans last night unleashed a new weapon to their armoury-a microphone!

Grounds visited: 741
Last new ground: Old Roan FC; John Roan Playing Fields; Kidrooke Park Road, London, SE3. (Bromley & South London Football Alliance Division One)
Last game: Friday 23rd August 2019: Sutton Common Rovers 3, Eastbourne Town 0. [F A Cup Preliminary Round]
Matches watched this season: 23
2017/18-New English grounds: 3; & foreign: 0

(This post was edited by Mishi on Aug 16, 2010, 8:38 PM)

DavetheGlassboy
Chelsea Transfer Target

Aug 16, 2010, 10:22 PM

Team(s): Stourbridge FC, Warrington RLFC, Stourport HC

Post #10 of 22 (10467 views)
Shortcut
Re: [northstandexile] leaving early [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Apparently a lot left early at Wigan as well. Cool

It must be a north-west thing.

Ah, the Wigan Walk!

Before the RL side moved to Friday nights, it was well-known.

All together now,

"Every Sunday, half past four
They're all heading for the door
You'll find them all
Doing the Wigan Walk!"

Last new ground (842): Greenhill Recreation Centre - Greenhill v Anstey Town 20/8/19
Last game: Alvechurch Youth v Stourbridge Youth 22/8/19
Football seen in: England, Wales, Scotland, Italy, France, Germany, Denmark, Netherlands, Spain, Austria, Croatia, Jersey, Sweden, Switzerland, Republic of Ireland, United States of America, Ukraine, Montenegro, Estonia, San Marino, Slovenia, Northern Ireland, Malta, Lithuania, Russia, Belgium, Portugal

Astle68
Youth Team Regular

Oct 11, 2010, 9:13 AM

Team(s): WBA+ Chester FC

Post #11 of 22 (9658 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DavetheGlassboy] leaving early [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I have left a early a couple of times, but I have never missed a goal or something entertaining happening.

Matches watched 200

leohoenig
Administrator

Oct 11, 2010, 11:41 AM

Post #12 of 22 (9645 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Astle68] leaving early [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I have left a early a couple of times, but I have never missed a goal or something entertaining happening.

Whereas I can understand that you know you have never missed a goal by leaving early, how can you be certain of this. After all, the "rest of the match" was supposed to be an entertainment!!

Statistically, there are more incidents late in a game than early and anyone who regularly leaves early is going to miss something.

Fat AND Pompous.

jimmyjazz
Chelsea Transfer Target

Oct 11, 2010, 8:43 PM

Team(s):

Post #13 of 22 (9601 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] leaving early [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Tues. 24th. March 1987 aged. 13.

Enfield 2 nil down at home in Middlesex Senior Cup Semi-final to Wembley FC. Never looked like scoring and so with 10 minutes left went home. Final Score 2-2 and a lesson learnt at an early age.

Agree with Leo, always seems to be more 'action' towards the end of a game. If I had to miss some of a game I'd rather at the beginning.

sandhurstbee

Oct 21, 2010, 1:34 PM

Team(s): Brentford, Sandhurst Town and Most local Non League sides.

Post #14 of 22 (9395 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jimmyjazz] leaving early [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Hardly ever left early even when the game is really dire but I did leave a Middlesex Charity Cup game with about 5 minutes to go when Brentford were at Kingsbury and Bees winning 5-2. Final score was 7-5 to Brentford after extra time. Also left a Sunday Cup match at Wokingham with about 5 minutes to go, Home side Dee Roof Vikings were 0-4 down to Lee Chapel North. Final result was 0-9 Shocked Stay to the end it is worth while and if you are at a League ground it saves you getting in everyone way when you leave early Mad

Last New Ground 2016/17 (15) 29/4/2017 HIGHMOOR/IBIS RESERVES 1 Mortimer 1 - Thames Valley premier league, Premier Division

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Apr 30, 2017, 10:17 AM

Team(s): Pompey

Post #15 of 22 (7462 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sandhurstbee] leaving early [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

This long-dormant thread seems the best place to post this very good article in yesterday's Guardian by Richard Williams...

Is Leaving Wembley Early Just Part Of The Matchday Experience?

http://www.theguardian.com/...ce-fa-cup-semi-final

...asking why so many fans (and Spurs fans at last week's FA Cup semi in particular) leave matches early.

I can probably count on two hands the number of times I've left a match early in forty years - most of them probably when I was a kid and my dad was eager to make a quick get-away from Fratton Park (I still remember hearing the roar of a final goal at Pompey 6 Scunthorpe 1 in 1979 as we traipsed along Specks Lane).

There have been a couple of times I've shaved a minute or so off the end of a match in order to catch a train - most memorably when scarpered out of the away end at The Manor Ground in 1992 to catch the last train back to Portsmouth with Pompey 5-3 up in injury time, only for the match to finish Oxford 5 Pompey 5.

stingray
First Team Star

Apr 30, 2017, 5:18 PM

Team(s): Step 4/5 local sides

Post #16 of 22 (7381 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oxpete] leaving early [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Only once - at Carshalton in the FA Trophy when the referee seemed hell-bent on wanting me to miss the 5.02 back to Victoria.

Luckily we were already 2-0 up and the station was barely a five minute walk away.

2019/20 stats

14 goals in 4 games
41.20 spent

kirby knitters
Qatar World Cup bid member!

May 1, 2017, 9:05 AM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #17 of 22 (7283 views)
Shortcut
Re: [stingray] leaving early [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Arrive late--Yes.
Leave early---Yes.
Go in bar at half time and never come out---Yes.

Jaundiced Hack
First Team Star

May 4, 2017, 12:28 PM

Post #18 of 22 (7111 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] leaving early [In reply to] Can't Post or

The last time I left a match before the final whistle was around 1974 when Watford were at Crewe and my friend was shoved over the wall and broke his arm. We both went to hossy and I missed the second half which I think ended 2-2.
I am fortunate that I drive everywhere and if I can't stay to the end then I don't go.
Twenty minute Graham I am definitely not

foreststag
Junior Team Star

Jun 26, 2017, 2:18 PM

Post #19 of 22 (5902 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Jaundiced Hack] leaving early [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Ive never left early but back in the 1980's, can't remember which season, when I never missed a game Leyton Fc played we went on a run of 7 games without scoring, then got delayed on way to home game against Redhill arrived 5 minutes late and we were 1-0 up. Game ended 1-0 then we failed to score in the next 3 games. So only 1 goal in 11 games and I'd missed it.

jrev61

Jun 26, 2017, 8:08 PM

Team(s): None

Post #20 of 22 (5841 views)
Shortcut
Re: [foreststag] leaving early [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I once went to Wolverton Town against Ruislip Manor. At half-time the home team were 2-0 up. A small group of Manor fans who had travelled up on the train left in disgust. The match finished 2-2.

jrev61

leohoenig
Administrator

Jun 26, 2017, 8:46 PM

Post #21 of 22 (5830 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jrev61] leaving early [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I know of at least two Cheltenham fans who left the game at Burton Albion on 13 March 2010 at half time with Burton 2-0 up.
When Cheltenham scored their 95th minute winner, it meant they had come back from 5-3 down to win 6-5 in just 10 minutes.

Fat AND Pompous.

Herb Alpert
First Team Sub

Jun 26, 2017, 9:52 PM

Team(s): Leyton Orient, whoever is playing w*** h**

Post #22 of 22 (5818 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] leaving early [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In 1988 a car load of of Orient fans left The Old Show Ground in the 88th minute with Orient 2-0 up. We lost. The equaliser was a lob from the half way line after a bad clearance from our goalie.

I have only left one Orient game early as floodlight failure at The Shay meant I had to leave a late running game 10 minutes early at 1-1 to catch the last train. I heard the cheer for the Halifax winner on my way back to the station.

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3