First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next page Last page  View All

leohoenig
Administrator

Jun 14, 2010, 10:02 AM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #1 of 233 (5416 views)
Shortcut
England? Can't Post or Reply Privately

What we have to learn from the Germans, or for that matter the French, Spanish, Italians, Brazilians and the a lesser extent, the Netherlanders, Portuguese and Argentinians is the difference between 'good' and 'bad' football teams.

The eight I have mentioned are the only consistently good football teams in international terms. They move the ball over the pitch according to a plan. They pass the ball from person to person, and they organise from the back. They do not waste possession.
England appear to play the same tactics as Cheltenham Town. They cannot clear the ball far enough upfield to prevent it coming back, and they cannot retain possession in midfield. While the Germans were content to hold the ball and make 20 short passes without getting anywhere, looking for an opening that is real, England pump the ball forward, and try force the opening to occur. English football is always in a hurry. It is not so much the beautiful game, as the hurried game.

English football is win the ball, and then pass it into an area, where the ball has to be won again. The better teams pass the ball from player to player.

Currently, the better teams in the Premier League play a fusion between better passing football, and the passion of the traditional English game. This is inevitable considering the number of foreign coaches and players now in the League. But, even with a foreign coach, the England team is not good enough to beat any team in the top half of the Premier League. I would have hoped that the foreign coaches would bring discipline to England - but they are still England and the players have reverted to type.

I am not saying that England are a bad team. They are not, they are a good team. But they play 'bad' football. They may well be the best 'bad' footballing team in the world, but to win the world cup, they will always need to beat two or three 'good' teams. In a one off situation, passion can be a match for intelligence or skill, as the FA Cup 'giant killers' always prove - but this is not enough to win seven games in a row.

Of course, the USA result does not mean England will not get out of the group, nor even that they are consigned to finishing second with a consequent match against the Germans. But unless their is a complete change in the way the National team play their football, England cannot win a major competition.

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

Into the nervous 990s. 3998 - Stade Lievre d'Or, Chateauneuf sur Loire

Isaac
Man City Transfer Target!

Jun 14, 2010, 10:58 AM

Team(s): ABMU

Post #2 of 233 (5404 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] England? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Alas I think you are probably rightUnsure

Still I'll try and stay optimistic why we're still in it, there'll be plenty of time to slaughter them after!

jimmyjazz
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 14, 2010, 3:55 PM

Team(s):

Post #3 of 233 (5368 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Isaac] England? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Great post Leo and agree 100%. Are there any clubs in Primera Liga, Bundesliga or Serie A side employing a route 1 'Dave Bassett' approach? I very much suspect not.

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Jun 14, 2010, 10:03 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #4 of 233 (5319 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jimmyjazz] England? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I fully agree with your point Leo. All the home nations suffer from the same affliction if you can call it that. To the extent that the players who might make the difference in terms of playing style have often been overlooked because they "don't do enough tracking back" or whatever. Glen Hoddle and our own Liam Brady spring immediately to mind.
Big Jack felt vindicated by taking his team to a brief No 8 ranking with his style of football for the Republic but it was only ever going to get so far.
None of the top nations you've mentioned play with a big man hoping to flick something on because that risks giving the ball away but that's what our league thrives on. Listen to the crowd at the next biggish game you go to and they'll be screaming "get it in the box" or "stop fannying around" or whatever. Only on these shores is winning a corner greeted with roars of approval - it means the contested ball can at least be contested in a dangerous area.

Yet those are all the reasons that we are told make our top league the world's favourite. Methinks its more the money but it does set the Premiership apart amongst Europe's major leagues.

As for this England ? Ranked 8th in the FIFA list and that's for a reason. They should make the quarters as long as they avoid Germany and anything beyond that would be classed a bonus in terms of what's expected. And yet you know that you'll only see them at their best when trying to recover a situation and wonder why it can't be like that from the start.

Tivvy_Al
First Team Sub

Jun 15, 2010, 12:00 AM

Post #5 of 233 (5296 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] England? [In reply to] Can't Post or

I wonder how much of England's inability in relation to the traditionally strong nations is in the head. We are told time and again that they are all more technical, even the 'second division' nations such as Ukraine or Romania or Russia, and sometimes I think that the players just take it for granted that they aren't good on the ball so play in a style that is more direct because of this. I genuinely believe that there are English players that are perfectly competent technically, maybe not in the class of Iniesta but as good as most. Frank Lampard doesn't appear to be lacking when he plays in blue, James Milner (injury and illness aside) is extremely sure-footed, Joe Cole is probably as good as anyone except the very best. Hell, even Michael Carrick has been praised for his passing ability and vision more times than I care to recall. Of course there are players like Steven Gerrard that are by design more direct and powerful, but there is room for a few of these in a team - Gerrard is no worse in any aspect of the game than Mark van Bommel or Javier Mascherano, just as John Terry isn't any less able than Per Metersacker or Martin Dimichelis.

The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function. -- F. Scott Fitzgerald

buncranaboy

Jun 15, 2010, 1:48 AM

Post #6 of 233 (5285 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tivvy_Al] England? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

And isn't the way our players are brought up and taught to play reflected in the fact that so few are successful abroad where they are shown up as the guy who keeps giving the ball away?

Coincidentally, Brady and Hoddle were both considered successful exports.

(This post was edited by buncranaboy on Jun 15, 2010, 1:50 AM)

acmold

Jun 15, 2010, 10:45 AM

Post #7 of 233 (5248 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] England? [In reply to] Can't Post or

Goes back to the 1970's when players with flair (and long hair) were hardly ever picked for England on a regular basis.

I can just about see the point of having one "midfield terrier" in a good team, but I'm all for flair, wingers, ball playing centre backs.

It's still a joy to watch old footage of George Best beating numerous players, Jimmy Greaves walking the ball into the net. Brazil's 4th goal in the 1970 World Cup.

Big Jack did pick David Langan on occasions, you can't call him a route one player.

Isaac

Jun 18, 2010, 11:19 AM

Post #8 of 233 (5163 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] England? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Surely anything less than a comfortable win tonight and the knives will be out for Fabio?

If Rob Green is the number one keeper then he should keep his place although I'd have gone with Joe Hart as the number one.

I'm not sure about this idea of keeping the line ups a secret until two hours before kick off, does it really keep the players on their toes?

DavetheGlassboy
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 18, 2010, 10:17 PM

Team(s): Stourbridge FC, Warrington RLFC, Stourport HC

Post #9 of 233 (5115 views)
Shortcut

I think the players should be informed the day before so they can get in the right frame of mind.

Even if the press aren't informed until 2 hours before kick off.

Last new ground (826): The Meadow - Brimscombe v Abingdon Utd 21/4/19
Last game: Rushall v Stourbridge 22/4/19
Football seen in: England, Wales, Scotland, Italy, France, Germany, Denmark, Netherlands, Spain, Austria, Croatia, Jersey, Sweden, Switzerland, Republic of Ireland, United States of America, Ukraine, Montenegro, Estonia, San Marino, Slovenia, Northern Ireland, Malta, Lithuania, Russia, Belgium

Lars
Reserve Team Star

Jun 18, 2010, 10:23 PM

Team(s): Yeovil, Kettering

Post #10 of 233 (5109 views)
Shortcut

Hoping to see England play good and win, the game vs Algeria was very frustrating to watch. Leo mentions passion, well today England looked like one of the least passionate teams in the World Cup. (They probably really wanted to perform well, I don't doubt that. Not sure if you saw/heard Rooney's comment after the game, like "nice to see you fans booing", Rooney obviously being very disappointed about his unusually poor performance.)

England's style of play once again looks old-fashioned. Their players looks slow, untechnical and unexciting. Rooney, Gerrard and Lampard surely are stars in their club teams, but I've seldon seen the latter two being very good when playing for England (I may be wrong). Look at the other countries, they seem to have far better and more exciting players. Quite a few of the South Americans, some of the Africans, and many Europeans. For example, I think of Holland as a team with great speed, great technical skill. They seem to have lots of alternatives regarding midfielders, forwards, etc. Not many new exciting, quick, spectacular guys in the English team I've seen in this World Cup.

I doubt Fabio Capello is the right man to coach England. It surely doesn't look like that. You should have kept Svennis! Wink Or chosen Lagerbäck (now coaching Nigeria). Or one of the successful Dutch coaches doing well for other countries national teams.

Still, five straight wins and the World Cup is being won.
And things can change quickly, as Germany may be an example of. England finishing 2nd in the group may mean the won't have to face the Germans. Wink

Finally... Swedes are said to perform at their best when expectations are low, and we are "the underdog". We often talk about that, both regarding football, ice hockey and individual sports. In World Cup, we some years ago advanced though the "group of death" with Argentina, Nigera and... hm, was it England(?). There have been other cases too, while we have under-achieved when being favourites.
Could the same be said about England (or other countries)? I suppose expectations are usually high, ending up in disappointment. You defeated Germany away some years ago, probably in a game where expectations wasn't huge.

KnowYourMarket

Jun 18, 2010, 10:32 PM

Team(s): WBA, FC Saarbruecken, Brierley Hill Alliance (RIP)

Post #11 of 233 (5098 views)
Shortcut

Knives are out, Isaac. Was that the most inept England performance ever?Mad

Last ground visited(update requested by Spud): Wellington . New grounds 18/19: 38

DavetheGlassboy
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 18, 2010, 10:32 PM

Post #12 of 233 (5096 views)
Shortcut
Re: [KnowYourMarket] England? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Knives are out, Isaac. Was that the most inept England performance ever?Mad

No, I think that was against Morocco in 1986.

Football seen in: England, Wales, Scotland, Italy, France, Germany, Denmark, Netherlands, Spain, Austria, Croatia, Jersey, Sweden, Switzerland, Republic of Ireland, United States of America, Ukraine, Montenegro, Estonia, San Marino, Slovenia, Northern Ireland, Malta, Lithuania, Russia, Belgium

splodge
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 18, 2010, 10:38 PM

Team(s): Fareham Town - THE CREEKSIDERS

Post #13 of 233 (5092 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DavetheGlassboy] England? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Be fair - Ray Smashing Wikins was sent off againt Morocco. bar having to start with Emile Heskey in the line up, What have tonights squad got as an excuse?

Only other team who have really disappointed are France. Whilst other sides may have been defensive/out of their depth, at least they gave it a go

www.twitter.com/splodgey
www.facebook.com/paulsplodgeproctor
www.facebook.com/nonleaguebins

A football club is for life, not just for trophies

DavetheGlassboy
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 18, 2010, 10:55 PM

Post #14 of 233 (5082 views)
Shortcut
Re: [splodge] England? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Be fair - Ray Smashing Wikins was sent off againt Morocco. bar having to start with Emile Heskey in the line up, What have tonights squad got as an excuse?

Fair enough.

Then again, I could have mentioned Nigeria in 2002 or Paraguay, Trinidad & Tobago and Ecuador in 2006, all of which were contenders!

paulh66

Jun 18, 2010, 11:08 PM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #15 of 233 (5069 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DavetheGlassboy] England? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Yes, we've got quite a track record of ineptitude in World Cup finals - plenty to choose from.

So having underperformed under a coach who was too soft - Eriksson - we're now underperforming under a coach who is too stubborn/hard. Both these coaches just happen to have world class credentials. The buck surely stops with the cossetted players - yes, they look good in the Premier League but that's because their strengths neatly complement players who can do the essentials - keep the ball and find a team-mate with a pass. Unfortunately, those guys play for other countries.

(This post was edited by paulh66 on Jun 18, 2010, 11:19 PM)

garethwrexy

Jun 18, 2010, 11:11 PM

Team(s): wrexham and dulwich

Post #16 of 233 (5063 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] England? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

very poor from england tonight Mad wont watch rest of world cup if they dont get past group stages

wrexham fc fa trophy winners 2013 !

Lars
Reserve Team Star

Jun 18, 2010, 11:26 PM

Team(s): Yeovil, Kettering

Post #17 of 233 (5042 views)
Shortcut

Can add another thought about England's star players... I think the national team becomes to "English". The best Premier League teams have lots of foreign players that complements the English players and brings another dimension to their play.

Can add another question too... How do you think English players would do if playing for other national teams like Holland, Spain, Brazil, Argentina, Germany..? Would they make the starting team? Would they be essential players?

paulh66

Jun 18, 2010, 11:35 PM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #18 of 233 (5038 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Lars] England? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Can add another thought about England's star players... I think the national team becomes to "English". The best Premier League teams have lots of foreign players that complements the English players and brings another dimension to their play.

Can add another question too... How do you think English players would do if playing for other national teams like Holland, Spain, Brazil, Argentina, Germany..? Would they make the starting team? Would they be essential players?

I'd say Rooney and perhaps Ashley Cole would be the only ones worthy of consideration for any national team. Rooney could be essential depending on the formation.

By the way Lars, come back to 20Q -we miss you there!

UKPunk

Jun 19, 2010, 12:11 AM

Post #19 of 233 (5028 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] England? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Yes, we've got quite a track record of ineptitude in World Cup finals - plenty to choose from.

So having underperformed under a coach who was too soft - Eriksson - we're now underperforming under a coach who is too stubborn/hard. Both these coaches just happen to have world class credentials. The buck surely stops with the cossetted players - yes, they look good in the Premier League but that's because their strengths neatly complement players who can do the essentials - keep the ball and find a team-mate with a pass. Unfortunately, those guys play for other countries.

Spot on post, Paul. We've fallen way behind even average teams in terms of being able to keep the ball. And at international level, possession is all important.

1-0-1-0-4-25-40-65-181-289=606

Last game: Mon 20/8/18
4. Basford United 1 Hednesford Town 2

buncranaboy

Jun 19, 2010, 1:17 AM

Post #20 of 233 (5018 views)
Shortcut
Re: [UKPunk] England? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

It can't help when England ALWAYS insist on bringing injured players to finals with fingers crossed that they'll recover. I can't think of that gamble ever having come off with the result that options are restricted because all of a sudden the squad is numbers light. Rooney patently isn't fit but at least he'll give it a go, maybe at some longer-term detriment to himself.
Everyone seemed not to want the ball and Algeria did look much more at ease in possession.

But why did everyone forecast a cakewalk? That annoying smug Scottish twerp Nicky Campbell on his morning show ridiculed the notion that Algeria might not lose and blithly patronised some Algerians supporters who phoned in. Even in the club where I watched with mates whose exasperation reached boiling point, everyone was talking a four or five goal romp for England beforehand. There appears to be little respect given to the opponents if they're not Italy, Germany, Brazil or one of the other powers and when they show that they can play people seem perplexed as that aspect was never supposed to be part of the game plan at any time.

So , 1986 revisited but who's going to be the Hodge or Beardsley this tournament...................

blackdouglas
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 19, 2010, 2:38 AM

Team(s): See signature for clubs

Post #21 of 233 (5013 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Lars] England? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I hope you all don't consider me from the wrong side of "the wall" to throw my tuppence worth in, but just because you have a great National League doesn't necessarily mean you have a great National Side. 1; In my opinion England players are too one dimensional, Heskey & Crouch are great target men, but did you see Heskey try to run & cross the ball last night. King and Carragher are out of the Slovenia game, so who's competent enough to fill at centre back? 2; It's said Gerrard and Lampard can't play together, but that's because they put their own selfish ego's above the team's because one won't stay back when the other goes forward. 3; What about the manager, playing 442 with 3 centre midfielders and using the left footed one as the "holding midfielder", and that's just scratchng the surface of current "squad issues". The other problem i feel, is the amount of money swashing about in the "Premier League". The price of failure is just too high, so clubs just won't take the chance in blooding local youngsters. Instead they look abroad for ready made, fully fledged professionals who are all too ready to accept the obscene wages available. The current England squad have actually, and should be commended, got there DESPITE the system not because of it. I hear all too many criticisms of Wengers attitude in recruiting and developing foreign youngsters, but in his mind the local talent either just isn't good enough, or more importantly, has an air of entitlement about them (as if being told at school "you can have everything you want, just because you want it").

Northwood, Threave Rovers, Arsenal, Rangers (the real ones, NOT qpr),Watford, Rochdale, queen of the south and a few others.

Isaac

Jun 19, 2010, 6:26 AM

Post #22 of 233 (5005 views)
Shortcut
Re: [blackdouglas] England? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

What really got me was Rooneys comment about the booing, what did he expect rapturous applause? I really feel sorry for those who've spent a small fortune going out to South Africa. Do the players really want to be there or is the world cup just an annoying interuption of their summer hols? World Cup disappointment is of course nothing new for we English but last night really was an all time low for me. Oh well all is not lost yet and they've got one last chance to redeem themselves.

acmold

Jun 19, 2010, 9:08 AM

Post #23 of 233 (4974 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Isaac] England? [In reply to] Can't Post or

David James maybe the best of the bunch of keepers, last night actually got England out of trouble a couple of times to clear woeful back passes

Glen Johnson think he put his boots on the wrong feet.

Ashley Cole maybe his ex-wife would put more effort in, certainly more aggresive.

Jamie Carragher not to bad, but now out of next game.

John Terry must be better with the ladies than on the field, his passes and distribution were awful. And why does he foul so much.

Steven Gerrard poor game for him but still better than most of the team, might have to be centre back in next game.

Frank Lampard did very little, I would always go for Gerrand over Lampard if only one had to play.

Garreth Barry seemed to get in the way with Lampard and Gerrard in midfield.

Aaron Lennon must be unlucky to be the first one subbed concidering the team performance.

Emile Heskey tries hard, but 10 years of trying hard have never really got him anywhere, sadly we are lacking an outstanding target man,

Wayne Rooney on last night performace would have had trouble trapping a fridge.

Shaun Wright-Phillips one or two good runs, won a few fouls.

Jermaine Defoe maybe he should be given a game from the start in the next match, he can actually socre goals.

Peter Crouch toss up between him and Heskey.

Outstanding fact of the game, more of the Algerian team were born in France than the in the French team that played the previous day, 10 had played for France upto under 18 level. This is an indictation why at international level the standard would appear to be leveling out and it seems many games are becoming bland. To many players qualify for more than one country, when they don't get in one country's side they go and play for another country. The USA had a Scotsman who plays for Bolton.

What percentage of the players involved in the World Cup play in the main 5 or 6 leagues in Europe ?. To many players are playing against players they come across in league games.

Chapeltom
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 19, 2010, 9:48 AM

Team(s): Sheffield Wednesday (ENG), Uni Lions (Taiwan baseball)

Post #24 of 233 (4966 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] England? [In reply to] Can't Post or

Just where do I start?

• It was complete passionless
  • Tactics were wrong
  • Aaron Lennon should have played as a winger instead of cutting in, he can't cross a ball mind
  • It was embarrassing
  • It was a national disgrace
  • We look homebound and that WILL result in problems.

Seagull
First Team Star

Jun 19, 2010, 10:25 AM

Post #25 of 233 (4960 views)
Shortcut
Re: [UKPunk] England? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Spot on post, Paul. We've fallen way behind even average teams in terms of being able to keep the ball. And at international level, possession is all important.

Yep, pretty much my thoughts on the technical side in a nutshell.

I'd also like to add the folloiwng thought:

We must stop thinking we're superior with a god given right to win at world level.

The complete over expectation from the media is frankly ludicrous and the fact that so many people believe it is hilarious; they (the media) build the team up knowing full well we cannot meet their expectations, then spend weeks pulling the team apart as it sells papers and fills airtime!

The sooner some of the gullable majority stop buying into this the better. The team looked petrified last night, scared sh*tless to make a mistake.

Is is any wonder Tongue

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3