First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next page Last page  View All

Isaac
Man City Transfer Target!

Jun 13, 2010, 2:24 PM

Team(s): ABMU

Post #1 of 242 (4744 views)
Shortcut
The World Cup so far Can't Post or Reply Privately

I've just watched the thriller between Algeria & Slovenia and the only thing of any excitement was the Algerian keeper having a 'Rob Green moment' and one of their subs picking up two stupid yellow cards within 15 minutes of coming on.The previous five games haven't been much better with some abysmal defending along with the goalkeeping gaffes and the new ball has done nothing to improve things.

So far totally unimpressed and last night I couldn't help wishing that JT did what he did with Rob Green's bird!

(This post was edited by Isaac on Jun 13, 2010, 2:31 PM)

rainjar
First Team Star

Jun 13, 2010, 2:44 PM

Post #2 of 242 (4736 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Isaac] The World Cup so far [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
....The previous five games haven't been much better with some abysmal defending along with the goalkeeping gaffes and the new ball has done nothing to improve things.

I think that's part of the tradition of the World Cup at least since the 1960s - bore everyone to tears in the first two rounds of group matches, so that the few moments of excitement in the last round of group matches and in the knock-out phase will live in the memory forever.

Football Insights

DavetheGlassboy
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 13, 2010, 3:29 PM

Team(s): Stourbridge FC, Warrington RLFC, Stourport HC

Post #3 of 242 (4724 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rainjar] The World Cup so far [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Not far off the truth. Greece v South Korea has probably been the best game so far and that was nothing to write home about.

On the basis of 28 minutes, Ghana v Serbia is maintaining this year's tradition.

Last new ground (844): Yarnton Lane - Kidlington v Didcot 4/9/19
Last game: England v Brazil @ Hednesford 8/9/19
Football seen in: England, Wales, Scotland, Italy, France, Germany, Denmark, Netherlands, Spain, Austria, Croatia, Jersey, Sweden, Switzerland, Republic of Ireland, United States of America, Ukraine, Montenegro, Estonia, San Marino, Slovenia, Northern Ireland, Malta, Lithuania, Russia, Belgium, Portugal

Tim

Jun 13, 2010, 3:37 PM

Team(s): Stourbridge, Welton Rovers

Post #4 of 242 (4718 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DavetheGlassboy] The World Cup so far [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Dismal, dismal, dismal. Chris Unemployed Coleman is muttering to himself. The football is as bad as the coverage. Roll on tomorrow night and some Summer Football League.

Isaac

Jun 13, 2010, 5:13 PM

Post #5 of 242 (4692 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DavetheGlassboy] The World Cup so far [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I thought South Korea looked ok but I really couldn't understand the Greeks negative tactics, even when they went behind they showed little or no inclination in pushing forward.

In Reply To
Not far off the truth. Greece v South Korea has probably been the best game so far and that was nothing to write home about.

On the basis of 28 minutes, Ghana v Serbia is maintaining this year's tradition.

DavetheGlassboy
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 13, 2010, 9:13 PM

Post #6 of 242 (4654 views)
Shortcut

Well, after 7 games of varying degrees of dullness the Australia v Germany game has been quite entertaining.

Sending off was a terrible decision though. Yellow at worst I thought.

Most looking forward to Denmark v Netherlands tomorrow - shame I'll be at work and will have to watch it later.

Football seen in: England, Wales, Scotland, Italy, France, Germany, Denmark, Netherlands, Spain, Austria, Croatia, Jersey, Sweden, Switzerland, Republic of Ireland, United States of America, Ukraine, Montenegro, Estonia, San Marino, Slovenia, Northern Ireland, Malta, Lithuania, Russia, Belgium, Portugal

(This post was edited by DavetheGlassboy on Jun 13, 2010, 9:17 PM)

Isaac

Jun 13, 2010, 9:46 PM

Post #7 of 242 (4637 views)
Shortcut

Yes and I'd have to say that the Germans did look impressive and 4-0 probably flattered the Aussies, the sort of performance I had expected from us against the USA last night!

Yes I thought Cahill's red card was harsh, it perhaps looked worse from the referee's angle but I thought Lucas Neill should have been sent off and there were a couple of other Aussie's who could have been red carded.

Had the Aussie's put that early chance away it might have been different, but probably not much different!

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Jun 13, 2010, 9:57 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #8 of 242 (4629 views)
Shortcut

So far, the usual suspects have impressed : Germany and Argentina though scoring only the one made Argentina edgy toward the end - but how many chances did they create ?
Ghana will be tough for whoever wins Englands group - assuming they go on and secure second spot behind the Germans.

cope1

Jun 14, 2010, 12:40 AM

Post #9 of 242 (4599 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
I've just watched the thriller between Algeria & Slovenia and the only thing of any excitement was the Algerian keeper having a 'Rob Green moment' and one of their subs picking up two stupid yellow cards within 15 minutes of coming on.The previous five games haven't been much better with some abysmal defending along with the goalkeeping gaffes and the new ball has done nothing to improve things.

So far totally unimpressed and last night I couldn't help wishing that JT did what he did with Rob Green's bird!

You're a cheery little soul aren't you!Tongue

Seriously, World Cup football is usually crap and, as always, people are ridiculously overestimating the standard of the England team, so when they don't beat a decent, solid team like the US out of site, they are pilloried. Green is a good keeper who had a nightmare moment as anyone can. I'm pleased that from the interviews after the game he seems to be OK with it, and the other players seem to be behind him.

PonteCarlo
First Team Star

Jun 14, 2010, 9:16 AM

Team(s): Grimsby Town, Pontefract Collieries

Post #10 of 242 (4576 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cope1] The World Cup so far [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Agreed! It's not like James, Robinson et al have ever made mistakes in extremely important matches is it? In the context, a drew against the States isn't really the worst result ever and as negative as it sounds I'd have probably taken it before the match. We have the easier match on paper next, and having seen the Algeria v Slovenia match, England 'should' comfortably beat both!

Annoyed to hear everyone say the South Korea v Greece match was the most entertaining so far (apart from Germany v Australia) as that was one of only 2 matches I've missed so far! It has been very dull and with the exception of last night, not one match had ended with more than 2 goals!

Proud spectator of real football.

Hop, hop, hopping on heaven's door

Isaac

Jun 14, 2010, 2:21 PM

Post #11 of 242 (4532 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

Most looking forward to Denmark v Netherlands tomorrow - shame I'll be at work and will have to watch it later.

I think you had the best idea in being at work! THE highlight was a fantastic goal line clearance from the Danish defender Poulsen who had earlier scored a schoolboy own goal, other than that yet another drab game!

(This post was edited by Isaac on Jun 14, 2010, 2:27 PM)

villahopper
First Team Star

Jun 14, 2010, 2:28 PM

Team(s): Aston Villa Bromsgrove Sporting New York Jets

Post #12 of 242 (4529 views)
Shortcut

The World Cup so far can be summed up easily

BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Tim

Jun 14, 2010, 2:34 PM

Team(s): Stourbridge, Welton Rovers

Post #13 of 242 (4523 views)
Shortcut
Re: [villahopper] The World Cup so far [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Well - Denmark v Holland was another thriller, wasn't it?

villahopper
First Team Star

Jun 14, 2010, 2:37 PM

Team(s): Aston Villa Bromsgrove Sporting New York Jets

Post #14 of 242 (4520 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tim] The World Cup so far [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Tip to the BBC

To avoid that monotonous droning sound at World Cup games simply do not employ Mick McCarthy as a pundit

I was looking forward to seeing the Dutch but once again a massive let down

Isaac

Jun 14, 2010, 2:48 PM

Post #15 of 242 (4517 views)
Shortcut
Re: [villahopper] The World Cup so far [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Japan v Cameroon on next which doesn't exactly set the pulses racing!

jimmyjazz
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 14, 2010, 3:45 PM

Team(s):

Post #16 of 242 (4505 views)
Shortcut

Neither does tonight's game which has got 2-0 comfortable win to the Italians written all over it.

DavetheGlassboy
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 14, 2010, 6:19 PM

Post #17 of 242 (4477 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tim] The World Cup so far [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Well - Denmark v Holland was another thriller, wasn't it?

Having just watched the game on video, it was better than most of the other games so far, but that's not saying much.

Was told not to bother watching Cameroon v Japan so I didn't.

Best game so far probably Australia v Germany.

jrev61

Jun 14, 2010, 6:23 PM

Team(s): None

Post #18 of 242 (4476 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jimmyjazz] The World Cup so far [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The World Cup has been great so far, apart from the football that is (and the vuvuzelas).

Incidentally why does everyone think Ghana played really well. They had one shot on target all game, and that was a penalty gifted to them.
Surely playing well involves making chances and having shots on target, not just good defending.

jrev61

KnowYourMarket

Jun 14, 2010, 6:39 PM

Team(s): WBA, FC Saarbruecken, Brierley Hill Alliance (RIP)

Post #19 of 242 (4471 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jrev61] The World Cup so far [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Only 1 decent team so far, Germany. Japan v Cameroon was absolute garbage but at least Lawro lightens the mood.

Italy v Paraguay with the South Americans sat behind the ball to look forward to tonight but it's better than watching Big Brother!

Derby Summer League on Thursday looks a distinct possibility.

Last ground visited(update requested by Spud): Wellington . New grounds 18/19: 38

Dr Love
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 14, 2010, 9:36 PM

Team(s): Halifax Town

Post #20 of 242 (4444 views)
Shortcut
Re: [KnowYourMarket] The World Cup so far [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

That does sound far more appealing. Sadly it hasn't been picked up by anyone.

splodge
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 14, 2010, 10:03 PM

Post #21 of 242 (4431 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dr Love] The World Cup so far [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Only Germany, South Korea and Paraguay (goalkeeping error excepted) tonight have impressed me.

Everyone else has been pretty much a muchness. As for the Japan v Cameroon game, what did everyone who watched it done to deserve that. It did have the best comment so far though at a Japanese free kick. "Endo (name of player), Endoff" as the ball travelled 40 yards over the heads of the Japan forward.

Whilst the Argies were good to watch going forward, at the back they were slow and gave the clueless Nigerian forwards too much space.

Fair play to the Danish defender for being able to smile at his mistake.

Am I alone in not being bothered by the unpronounceable horns? to the best of my knowledge they are part of the game in South Africa so I dont have a problem. I would have a beer and bratwurst at a game in Germany so.....

www.twitter.com/splodgey
www.facebook.com/paulsplodgeproctor

Isaac

Jun 14, 2010, 10:03 PM

Post #22 of 242 (4431 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dr Love] The World Cup so far [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The highlights of todays games (such as they are!) are on now if anybody is suffering from insomnia.

VP

Jun 14, 2010, 10:16 PM

Post #23 of 242 (4423 views)
Shortcut
Re: [splodge] The World Cup so far [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Am I alone in not being bothered by the unpronounceable horns? to the best of my knowledge they are part of the game in South Africa so I dont have a problem. I would have a beer and bratwurst at a game in Germany so.....

I think you are alone.

I haven't got a problem with them in South Africa but no doubt they'll appear in this country next season. Season ticket sales are well under way - Chelsea have sold out. Imagine paying 900 for your seat in the East Upper and, at the first game, be greeted by the person you'll be sitting next to all season getting his horn out and blowing it in your ear. Must be as bad as having a seat next to a drummer.

And if they catch on at step 5 then that'll seriously ruin my enjoyment of the games. They should be banned - not because of 'health and safety gone mad' but because they're bloody annoying.

In my opinion. Tongue

(This post was edited by VP on Jun 14, 2010, 10:17 PM)

splodge
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 14, 2010, 10:21 PM

Post #24 of 242 (4417 views)
Shortcut
Re: [VP] The World Cup so far [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

And if they catch on at step 5 then that'll seriously ruin my enjoyment of the games. They should be banned - not because of 'health and safety gone mad' but because they're bloody annoying.

In my opinion. Tongue

I have seen them on sale in a well known supermarket and was tempted to get one for next season. Anything to get an advantage over the opposition Wink however our manager has told me that if I did he would be joining the queue in shoving it where the sun doesn't shineCrazy

www.twitter.com/splodgey
www.facebook.com/paulsplodgeproctor

Isaac

Jun 14, 2010, 10:23 PM

Post #25 of 242 (4417 views)
Shortcut
Re: [VP] The World Cup so far [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I can't say I am that bothered about those horns, just one decent game out of eleven is far more concerning.

Apparently there were 27 goals at this stage of the last World Cup, just 18 this time.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3