leohoenig
Administrator

Jun 3, 2010, 3:10 PM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #1 of 14 (4242 views)
Shortcut
North Korea try to bend rules Can't Post or Reply Privately

See the first story
I can confirm that I have seen the player concerned, coming on as a substitute forward.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/...cup_2010/8720323.stm

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

PaulC
Man City Transfer Target!

Jun 3, 2010, 4:06 PM

Team(s): AFC Darwen, Troon, Ayr Utd, Burnley

Post #2 of 14 (4230 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] North Korea try to bend rules [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Does this mean forwards may only play as forwards and will not be allowed to defend at corners?

Tivvy_Al
First Team Sub

Jun 3, 2010, 4:14 PM

Post #3 of 14 (4225 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PaulC] North Korea try to bend rules [In reply to] Can't Post or

Rugby Town used a goalkeeper up front a few times towards the end of the season just finished. He even scored a couple of goals including a late, late winner. Thanks God FIFA don't watch over the Southern Football League for it is occurrences like this that make our world great!

The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function. -- F. Scott Fitzgerald

John Treleven
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Jun 3, 2010, 4:19 PM

Team(s):

Post #4 of 14 (4221 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tivvy_Al] North Korea try to bend rules [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

St. Paul's had a central defender as GK twice in early season after regular one broke a finger at the Island Games

What's more he did not concede a goal (0-0 & 3-0, both v his old team Jersey Scottish)

jrev61

Jun 3, 2010, 6:33 PM

Team(s): None

Post #5 of 14 (4181 views)
Shortcut
Re: [John Treleven] North Korea try to bend rules [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The Mexican goalkeeper Campos who often played up front when his club side needed an extra striker, was also told he could not come on as a striker in the World Cup.
He was also famous for his loud keepr's shirts, which he designed himself.

jrev61

Monsieur Pascal
Youth Team Star

Jun 4, 2010, 1:20 AM

Team(s): Coventry City for my sins

Post #6 of 14 (4131 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jrev61] North Korea try to bend rules [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The logic, if you can call it that, of this decision, is supported by having all 12 non-starters as available substitutes, and having 3 keepers (max) in the squad.

Mind you, there's always the chance that keeper A is injured in training, keeper B is sent off in the first group match, and keeper C gets injured facing the resulting penalty. Who then goes in goal to finish that match, and starts in goal for game 2 ? Seems FIFA might be a little too inflexible. Lots of what ifs here.

jrev61

Jun 4, 2010, 6:19 PM

Team(s): None

Post #7 of 14 (4063 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Monsieur Pascal] North Korea try to bend rules [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I don't think there is any ban on outfield players playing in goal if a keeper is sent off and all subs have been used.
Incidentally what happens if a player taking a penalty in a shoot-out is given a second booking for 'feinting' to deceive the keeper?
This new application to the rules is supposed to be brought in for the World Cup. Will the penalty be forfeited or will another player be allowed to take it?

jrev61

splodge
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 4, 2010, 9:02 PM

Post #8 of 14 (4043 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jrev61] North Korea try to bend rules [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I don't think there is any ban on outfield players playing in goal if a keeper is sent off and all subs have been used.
Incidentally what happens if a player taking a penalty in a shoot-out is given a second booking for 'feinting' to deceive the keeper?
This new application to the rules is supposed to be brought in for the World Cup. Will the penalty be forfeited or will another player be allowed to take it?

First I've heard of this rule. Ronaldo's buggeredCool

www.twitter.com/splodgey
www.facebook.com/paulsplodgeproctor

DavetheGlassboy
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 4, 2010, 10:50 PM

Team(s): Stourbridge FC, Warrington RLFC, Stourport HC

Post #9 of 14 (4028 views)
Shortcut
Re: [splodge] North Korea try to bend rules [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Personally, I don't think FIFA should be allowed to dictate who can play in which position.

If a team wants to play its two reserve goalkeepers as its forward line then that's up to them IMO.

Last new ground (832): Stade Oceane, Le Havre - Argentina v England 14/6/19
Last game: as above
Football seen in: England, Wales, Scotland, Italy, France, Germany, Denmark, Netherlands, Spain, Austria, Croatia, Jersey, Sweden, Switzerland, Republic of Ireland, United States of America, Ukraine, Montenegro, Estonia, San Marino, Slovenia, Northern Ireland, Malta, Lithuania, Russia, Belgium, Portugal

northstandexile
First Team Regular

Jun 4, 2010, 11:12 PM

Team(s): Mansfield Town

Post #10 of 14 (4022 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DavetheGlassboy] North Korea try to bend rules [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I think this has been brought in because the squad size has increased from 22 to 23. (ie each position with an understudy but having 3 keepers)

DavetheGlassboy
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 4, 2010, 11:58 PM

Post #11 of 14 (4008 views)
Shortcut
Re: [northstandexile] North Korea try to bend rules [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Maybe, but why not just allow teams to pick whichever 22/23 players they want. There's no dictation of the number of forwards or defenders required in each squad so why dictate how many keepers each team is allowed?

Sounds like one of those pointless rules that FIFA is so fond of.

Football seen in: England, Wales, Scotland, Italy, France, Germany, Denmark, Netherlands, Spain, Austria, Croatia, Jersey, Sweden, Switzerland, Republic of Ireland, United States of America, Ukraine, Montenegro, Estonia, San Marino, Slovenia, Northern Ireland, Malta, Lithuania, Russia, Belgium, Portugal

DavetheGlassboy
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 4, 2010, 11:59 PM

Post #12 of 14 (4007 views)
Shortcut
Re: [splodge] North Korea try to bend rules [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

First I've heard of this rule. Ronaldo's buggeredCool

Feinting not fainting!

Isaac

Jun 7, 2010, 11:45 AM

Team(s): ABMU

Post #13 of 14 (3887 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DavetheGlassboy] North Korea try to bend rules [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I think it's a clear cut rule that all squads must have three keepers.

I suppose the FIFA thinking is that it might devalue the world cup if an outfield player had to go in goal.

cope1

Jun 9, 2010, 1:12 AM

Post #14 of 14 (3810 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Personally, I don't think FIFA should be allowed to dictate who can play in which position.

If a team wants to play its two reserve goalkeepers as its forward line then that's up to them IMO.

I agree with you Dave. If a country wants to pick an extra striker instead of a 3rd goalkeeper that's up to them. If the 2 keepers get injured then they lose out. I have to say, having seen a few games where outfield players go in goal (including David Platt for Villa in 1990 when they lost 0-5 at Arsenal, Platty only conceding 1) they don't embarrass themselves - it's hardly shooting fish in a barrel! I can't see the need for such a restriction.

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3