FA Youth Cup - South Liverpool

Derek1957
Junior Team Sub

Jun 1, 2010, 4:39 PM

Team(s): Liverpool, Gillingham, South Liverpool

Post #1 of 13 (24292 views)
Shortcut
FA Youth Cup - South Liverpool Can't Post or Reply Privately

South Liverpool participated in the first season of the FA Youth Cup in 1953/54. They received a bye in the first round and were beaten in the second round away to Bradford Park Avenue 0-5. Does anyone know the date of this game and/or the results/dates of any other games involving South Liverpool in future seasons of the competition or where this information can be found ?.

John Treleven
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Jun 1, 2010, 8:05 PM

Team(s):

Post #2 of 13 (24267 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Derek1957] FA Youth Cup - South Liverpool [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The first season of the FAYC was in fact the season before (52/3) and South Liverpool were one of the 93 original entrants

They were in the North-West Zone of 18 clubs and lost in the first round at home to Everton 0-7.

I do not have an exact date but it was played by Oct 23rd

All 2nd Rd onwards results (not dates) are in F.A.Yearbooks

Earlier rounds I am working on

Looking through the last 64's from 52-3 to 76-7 I can only find two results

53-4 2nd Rd 0-6 A Bradford PA
76-7 2nd Rd 1-8 A Manchester C

paulh66

Jun 1, 2010, 8:11 PM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #3 of 13 (24263 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Derek1957] FA Youth Cup - South Liverpool [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
South Liverpool participated in the first season of the FA Youth Cup in 1953/54. They received a bye in the first round and were beaten in the second round away to Bradford Park Avenue 0-5. Does anyone know the date of this game and/or the results/dates of any other games involving South Liverpool in future seasons of the competition or where this information can be found ?.

Try sending an email to the long-serving South secretary, Jim Stanway. I know he and some of the other committee members have all sorts of stats and historical info about the club. Been a while since I've seen Jim but a contact email address for him (per the South Liverpool FC website) is [email protected]

Greger
Junior Team Regular

Mar 23, 2011, 8:42 PM

Post #4 of 13 (17340 views)
Shortcut
Re: [John Treleven] FA Youth Cup - South Liverpool [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

You haven't come across any Accrington Stanley results from the 50s by any chance? I have 59-62 but nothing prior to that! Any info would of course be lovely!

www.accringtonstanley.has.it

John Treleven

Mar 23, 2011, 10:51 PM

Team(s):

Post #5 of 13 (17322 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Greger] FA Youth Cup - South Liverpool [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Nothing other than what you already have. It is quite likely they did not enter previously as I am complete for three of the seven earlier seasons.

Greger
Junior Team Regular

Mar 24, 2011, 9:49 AM

Post #6 of 13 (17292 views)
Shortcut
Re: [John Treleven] FA Youth Cup - South Liverpool [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Thanks for that. You are probably right. Bigger clubs than Stanley have been missing in the 50s. Are you complete for 58-59? All I have are three defeats in 59-60 to 61-62, line-up for the first game, but no dates or scorers. Anything you could add?

John Treleven

Mar 24, 2011, 6:58 PM

Team(s):

Post #7 of 13 (17234 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Greger] FA Youth Cup - South Liverpool [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Nothing more unfortunately, it took a while for all the 92 to join in, mostly all in by mid/late 60's

Greger
Junior Team Regular

Mar 26, 2011, 1:13 PM

Post #8 of 13 (17133 views)
Shortcut

I was wondering about the eligibilty rules for the FA Youth Cup. You are eligible if you turn 18 after the 31st of August but I have a vague memory that the date was a different one some time back. Might be completely wrong of course. Can anyone shed any light?

John Treleven

Mar 26, 2011, 5:58 PM

Team(s):

Post #9 of 13 (17114 views)
Shortcut

Fairly certain always U18 will see if I can verify

John Treleven

Mar 26, 2011, 6:12 PM

Team(s):

Post #10 of 13 (17111 views)
Shortcut

Confirmed as U18 since outset in 1952-53

Greger
Junior Team Regular

Mar 27, 2011, 2:03 PM

Post #11 of 13 (17030 views)
Shortcut

Oh, I didn't mean that it had ever been anything but U18, but I thought it might have been the 31st July that was the deciding date. Not hugely important perhaps, but could be to individual players. I recently had a discussion with an ex- player whether he was eligible way back, and it got me thinking.

John Treleven

Mar 27, 2011, 5:43 PM

Team(s):

Post #12 of 13 (17012 views)
Shortcut

Always 31 Aug/1 Sept

Greger
Junior Team Regular

Mar 27, 2011, 8:24 PM

Post #13 of 13 (16990 views)
Shortcut

Crystal clear. Thanks!

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3