Eastern Counties League

alfie
Reserve Team Regular

May 25, 2010, 1:06 PM

Team(s): Ossett Albion, Linton Granta, Cambridge United, Dunfermline Athletic

Post #1 of 16 (2393 views)
Shortcut
Eastern Counties League Can't Post or Reply Privately

Does anyone know if there has been any new clubs promoted from step seven into the Eastern counties league for next season?

Alfie

(This post was edited by alfie on May 25, 2010, 1:08 PM)

Sarumio
Man City Transfer Target!

May 25, 2010, 1:24 PM

Team(s): Salisbury

Post #2 of 16 (2364 views)
Shortcut
Re: [alfie] Eastern Counties League [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Does anyone know if there has been any new clubs promoted from step seven into the Eastern counties league for next season?

I think it was only Cambridge University Press that applied (or were deemed eligibel anyway) but as Fulbourn Institute pipped them to the title I'm unsure if they'll be allowed up - but they should be considering the ECL has just lost Needham Market, King's Lynn Reserves and Harwich & Parkeston so they are running very light at the moment as it is and shouldn't be turning anyone away really!

Trevor
Youth Team Regular

May 25, 2010, 11:38 PM

Team(s): Wycombe Wanderers

Post #3 of 16 (2120 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sarumio] Eastern Counties League [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The thought of the First Division running with 16 teams doesn't exactly fill me with joy but I don't think they will accept CUP (I'll be proved wrong now Wink ). I guess we'll have to wait and see how it shakes out.

LondonBuck
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 26, 2010, 1:26 AM

Team(s): AFC Telford United, Witham Town, Folkestone Invicta, Gillingham, Woking

Post #4 of 16 (2094 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Trevor] Eastern Counties League [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Can we join! Oh sorry, the FA wouldn't allow it! Crazy

637 GROUNDS - AFC Fylde(61/92)
582 WETHERSPOONS - Lytham
2 WETHERSPOONS HOTELS - Ripon

ladderman

May 26, 2010, 8:35 AM

Team(s): Bishop's Stortford & Cambridge United

Post #5 of 16 (2049 views)
Shortcut
Re: [LondonBuck] Eastern Counties League [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Grow up. There's no great conspiracy, you didn't get enough points to get promoted.

alfie
Reserve Team Regular

May 26, 2010, 11:30 AM

Team(s): Ossett Albion, Linton Granta, Cambridge United, Dunfermline Athletic

Post #6 of 16 (1966 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Trevor] Eastern Counties League [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
The thought of the First Division running with 16 teams doesn't exactly fill me with joy but I don't think they will accept CUP (I'll be proved wrong now Wink ). I guess we'll have to wait and see how it shakes out.

Other leagues have accepted teams from Step seven (and even eight) that have not been champions but have the required facilities. I would have thought it would have been better to have more teams in the league?

What has happened to Needham market and Harwich?

Is there any chance of a team coming from the Anglian Combination in the ner future? Sheringham, cromer and wells all seem to have grounds that are of a reasonable standard?

Alfie

ladderman

May 26, 2010, 11:43 AM

Post #7 of 16 (1953 views)
Shortcut

Needham Market went up to Ryman One North, Harwich pulled out mid-season and (i think) are continuing in the Essex/Sufforl Border League in place on their reserves.
Given Histon's financial problems, it wouldn't be a shock if they pulled out of the Premier, either.
Div One really does need some new blood. It's a decent Step 6 league, but to remain so needs to get back up to at least 18 clubs.

T P
Youth Team Star

May 26, 2010, 11:44 AM

Team(s):

Post #8 of 16 (1953 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

What has happened to Needham market and Harwich?

Needham have been promoted up to the Isthmian North, while Harwich withdrew from the Eastern Counties Premier during the season.

UKPunk

May 26, 2010, 12:48 PM

Post #9 of 16 (1888 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ladderman] Eastern Counties League [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Needham Market went up to Ryman One North, Harwich pulled out mid-season and (i think) are continuing in the Essex/Sufforl Border League in place on their reserves.
Given Histon's financial problems, it wouldn't be a shock if they pulled out of the Premier, either.
Div One really does need some new blood. It's a decent Step 6 league, but to remain so needs to get back up to at least 18 clubs.

In my view they shouldn't be in there anyway, but that's a different debate.

1-0-1-0-4-25-40-65-181-289=606

Last game: Mon 20/8/18
4. Basford United 1 Hednesford Town 2

ladderman

May 26, 2010, 1:32 PM

Post #10 of 16 (1855 views)
Shortcut
Re: [UKPunk] Eastern Counties League [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Given their "previous" of strengthening the team to avoid relegation, I can see your point.

However, I do think CRC are a different case.

Trevor
Youth Team Regular

May 26, 2010, 5:17 PM

Post #11 of 16 (1789 views)
Shortcut

As already stated, Needham Market promoted, Harwich & Parkeston resigned and look as if they will play in the Essex & Suffolk Border next season. Then we had Kings Lynn Reserves withdraw for obvious reasons. We also lost Lowestoft (promoted) and Tiptree United (Essex Senior League) last season with just two replacements plus the other promoted clubs in recent years.

Histon Reserves is a chapter all on it's own as CRC have proved to be this season as well. Team Bury has also raised a few hackles this season as well for many of the same reasons that Histon Reserves do.

As for anyone else coming up, after Fulbourn Institutes quick flirtation with the league a couple of seasons ago, I think the league will insist on there being floodlights and barriers in place before they allow promotion (or at minimum, planning permission with agreements for them to be in place by season start) into the league. Fulbourn made all the right noises but never did get floodlights yet they had a good solid team which they appear to have in the main kept.

The league does need fresh blood, where it's coming from though is a mystery

southend statto
First Team Star

May 26, 2010, 9:26 PM

Team(s): most of my local sides

Post #12 of 16 (1678 views)
Shortcut

Where's fresh blood coming from? I've always believed the ECL should merge with the ESL. A Premier Division of top 14 from ECL and top 8 from ESL with a Division 1 North and Division 1 South.
This also helps the FA to reduce the number of step 5 leagues!

Trevor
Youth Team Regular

May 26, 2010, 9:51 PM

Post #13 of 16 (1644 views)
Shortcut
Re: [southend statto] Eastern Counties League [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Where's fresh blood coming from? I've always believed the ECL should merge with the ESL. A Premier Division of top 14 from ECL and top 8 from ESL with a Division 1 North and Division 1 South.
This also helps the FA to reduce the number of step 5 leagues!

I have always thought the same, it'll never happen though

(This post was edited by Trevor on May 26, 2010, 9:52 PM)

niftynigel
Youth Team Star

May 26, 2010, 10:30 PM

Team(s): West Ham United, Epsom & Ewell, Celtic, Bohemian, Harlequins

Post #14 of 16 (1610 views)
Shortcut

It has been suggested, but if it did happen, it'd throw up some very long journeys, like Fakenham to Southend (approximately 125 miles).

That's not really local and too far for Step Five!

I think the Essex Senior League is more likely to merge with the Spartan South Midlands league, although some northern ESL clubs could head back to the ECL.

In turn, some SSML clubs could end up in the United Counties or Hellenic leagues.

Cutting the number of leagues at Step Five (and Six by implication) goes against the aim of trying to find more local football and less travelling.

If 'up to' three teams were relegated from each Step Four league, then it's problem solved, with possibly 18 promotion places up for grabs!

We could look to create one or two more Step Five leagues, to reduce travelling, particularly in areas not currently well served by leagues of this standard. This could weaken Step Six, so maybe the Step Six ground gradings should be relaxed ~ floodlights advisory, not compulsory on entry? A railed pitch and some cover, ideally some seated should be sufficient.

LondonBuck
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 26, 2010, 10:34 PM

Team(s): AFC Telford United, Witham Town, Folkestone Invicta, Gillingham, Woking

Post #15 of 16 (1605 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ladderman] Eastern Counties League [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Grow up. There's no great conspiracy, you didn't get enough points to get promoted.

Tongue

637 GROUNDS - AFC Fylde(61/92)
582 WETHERSPOONS - Lytham
2 WETHERSPOONS HOTELS - Ripon

Trevor
Youth Team Regular

May 26, 2010, 11:44 PM

Post #16 of 16 (1570 views)
Shortcut

I heard rumour tonight that we may well see CUP in ECL Division 1 next season, see I said I'd be proved wrong Crazy

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3