Home: All Other Football Interests: All other football:
Why do you support the club you do ?

Dutchmans
Youth Team Sub

May 21, 2010, 4:47 PM

Post #1 of 22 (4298 views)
Shortcut
Why do you support the club you do ? Can't Post or Reply Privately

Found some very bizzare reasons in the past, some simple, some quite complicated.
Are you happy with your club or are there moements you question your sanity ?

Chapeltom
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 21, 2010, 6:52 PM

Team(s): Sheffield Wednesday (ENG), Uni Lions (Taiwan baseball)

Post #2 of 22 (4282 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dutchmans] Why do you support the club you do ? [In reply to] Can't Post or

Sheffield Wednesday: Been in the family for over 75 years, natural to support them. I get the 10 worst years in the club's history, financial problems and I've three times listened to /watched us be relegated. Despite three times of being in bits about relegation I still like my club

Chapel Town: Moved to the town 4 years ago, I have my own Grassroots slot on local radio and have reason to want them to do well. They are now Step 8 but I don't think a bit of chanting and singing is bad, believe in your town!

UKPunk
Man City Transfer Target!

May 21, 2010, 10:06 PM

Post #3 of 22 (4252 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Chapeltom] Why do you support the club you do ? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I'm a 4th generation Spurs supporter. My Dad first took me to the Lane in 1973 when I was 9. Simple as that.

1-0-1-0-4-25-40-65-181-289=606

Last game: Mon 20/8/18
4. Basford United 1 Hednesford Town 2

VP

May 21, 2010, 10:30 PM

Post #4 of 22 (4248 views)
Shortcut
Re: [UKPunk] Why do you support the club you do ? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Question my sanity? Not quite but I can't watch step 5 football without a pint before the game. In fact I can't watch any football without a beer. I don't think I actually like watching football - it's just a habit I got into as a kid and have yet to break.
Sometimes I wonder what it would be like if I'd been born in another town - one where the team may actually go up occasionally like Wycombe or somewhere and then there's the 'what if my parents hadn't moved down south from Geordieland?' scenario. I could be a North Shields / West Allotment / Percy Main fan now. Or would I have been lured into watching the Toon?

As it is, I'm stuck with Camberley and they're stuck with me. I do love the club though. Couldn't support anyone else locally if, Darwin forbid, the club ever went t*ts up.

villahopper
First Team Star

May 21, 2010, 11:07 PM

Team(s): Aston Villa Bromsgrove Sporting New York Jets

Post #5 of 22 (4234 views)
Shortcut
Re: [VP] Why do you support the club you do ? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Dad was a West Brom fan Mom was a Villa fan, Mom got to me first.
As far as non-league goes I lived in London for 3 years in the mid to late 80s in Tooting to be exact and one night saw Tooting and Mitcham had a home game. As I only lived 5 mins from the ground I wandered down to have a look. Loved the ground and the banter so started going to a lot of Tooting games. On return back to Birmingham I decided to look for a local team to support and as I lived in South West Birmingham I decided on Bromsgrove Rovers.
As far as Baseball goes I decided to follow a New York team as that is my favorite U.S city and I couldnt possibly follow the Yankees so the Mets it had to be

AussieWhoosh
Youth Team Regular

May 22, 2010, 5:22 PM

Team(s): See below

Post #6 of 22 (4167 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dutchmans] Why do you support the club you do ? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

CHELSEA....All my school mates were Liverpool supporters when my cousin John Kosmina (former Australian International) was signed by Arsenal. My brother immediately went for Arsenal (though he changed to Everton not long after) so I looked through the list of English sides and liked the sound of Chelsea. They were relegated the first year I supported them, but I would listen every Sunday afternoon to BBC Radio for the results and have followed them since.

BROMLEY....My daughter (soon to be 10) is named Bromley, so when I was looking for a non-league team to support, naturally it was to be Bromley.

SPALDING UNITED....My family emigrated from the Spalding area in 1850 to South Australia so I have a soft spot.

PINCHBECK UNITED...see Spalding United

CEMAES...I have more Welsh blood in me than English and that side of the family come from Anglesey (prob spelt that wrongly)

THIKA UNITED (KENYA)....My wife is from Kenya (thought she might be a good runner but she isn't haha) and her home town is Thika

Others...just to pick a team in a league *s*

Cheers,

Darren in Australia

My teams: Chelsea, Bromley, Spalding United, Pinchbeck United, Cemaes (WAL), Heart of Midlothian (SCO), St Etienne (FRA), Borussia Moenchengladbach (GER), Deportivo La Caruna (ESP), Alma SC (Australia), Silver City Strikers (Australia),Thika United (Kenya). Founder and chairman of Alma Makogeni Sports Club (Kenya)

jrev61

May 22, 2010, 10:36 PM

Team(s): None

Post #7 of 22 (4136 views)
Shortcut
Re: [AussieWhoosh] Why do you support the club you do ? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
CHELSEA....All my school mates were Liverpool supporters when my cousin John Kosmina (former Australian International) was signed by Arsenal. My brother immediately went for Arsenal (though he changed to Everton not long after) so I looked through the list of English sides and liked the sound of Chelsea. They were relegated the first year I supported them, but I would listen every Sunday afternoon to BBC Radio for the results and have followed them since.

BROMLEY....My daughter (soon to be 10) is named Bromley, so when I was looking for a non-league team to support, naturally it was to be Bromley.

SPALDING UNITED....My family emigrated from the Spalding area in 1850 to South Australia so I have a soft spot.

PINCHBECK UNITED...see Spalding United

CEMAES...I have more Welsh blood in me than English and that side of the family come from Anglesey (prob spelt that wrongly)

THIKA UNITED (KENYA)....My wife is from Kenya (thought she might be a good runner but she isn't haha) and her home town is Thika

Others...just to pick a team in a league *s*

Cheers,

Darren in Australia

Was the emigration voluntary or not?

jrev61

dottirofhod

May 22, 2010, 10:41 PM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #8 of 22 (4134 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jrev61] Why do you support the club you do ? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Wasn"t the Flowers family involved in Highway Robbery ?

July 1, 2019 to June 30,2020 = 35 / 30/ 5/ inc 2 x 0-0's. (You know my rules) @ 11 / 08 / 2019.
2019/20. Benelux = Bel = 0-0-0-(0-0-0)-(0-2-3-2)/ Lux = 0-3 / Neth = 0-0-0-(2 - 2) Others France = 0-0 / Germany =0-0-0 / Italy =0-3/ Iberia = P = 0-1 & S = 0-1.

Now blogging at https://eccentricity.video.blog/

UKPunk

May 22, 2010, 11:03 PM

Post #9 of 22 (4128 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dottirofhod] Why do you support the club you do ? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

Wasn"t the Flowers family involved in Highway Robbery ?

You mean as in "Dandy Highwaymen"? Tongue

Kernovian
Reserve Team Sub

May 23, 2010, 10:16 AM

Team(s): Yeovil Town FC

Post #10 of 22 (4096 views)
Shortcut
Re: [AussieWhoosh] Why do you support the club you do ? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Don't suppose your good lady knew the Harries family in Thika, particularly Linda (prob. aged 60-65 now) and were macadamia nut farmers?

Inherited by AngusGF

garethwrexy

May 24, 2010, 9:49 AM

Team(s): wrexham and dulwich

Post #11 of 22 (4039 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Chapeltom] Why do you support the club you do ? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

wrexham always had family in north wales so no real reason really Tongue seen some good times with the club and some very bad times aka the hamilton era, best times were 2 faw cup wins 98 and 2003 worst times most of last season Unsure,

dulwich hamlet mate who was going out with my sister at that time took me down in december 99 for a match v slough town which dulwich lost 3-2 despite going 2-0 up in the first 20 minutes ! went to around another 3-4 games that season, then 2000-2001 was first full season then the rest is history as they say.

wrexham fc fa trophy winners 2013 !

Mishi

May 24, 2010, 12:30 PM

Team(s): Dulwich Hamlet

Post #12 of 22 (4022 views)
Shortcut
Re: [garethwrexy] Why do you support the club you do ? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Yes...Alex has a lot to answer for! ;-)

Grounds visited: 741
Last new ground: Old Roan FC; John Roan Playing Fields; Kidrooke Park Road, London, SE3. (Bromley & South London Football Alliance Division One)
Last game: Friday 23rd August 2019: Sutton Common Rovers 3, Eastbourne Town 0. [F A Cup Preliminary Round]
Matches watched this season: 23
2017/18-New English grounds: 3; & foreign: 0

AussieWhoosh
Youth Team Regular

May 25, 2010, 5:01 AM

Team(s): See below

Post #13 of 22 (3952 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dutchmans] Why do you support the club you do ? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In reply to some queries above...my wife does not know the family mentioned from Thika which has a population of 90,000 approx.
My family emigrated as free settlers to South Australia

Cheers,

Darren in Australia

My teams: Chelsea, Bromley, Spalding United, Pinchbeck United, Cemaes (WAL), Heart of Midlothian (SCO), St Etienne (FRA), Borussia Moenchengladbach (GER), Deportivo La Caruna (ESP), Alma SC (Australia), Silver City Strikers (Australia),Thika United (Kenya). Founder and chairman of Alma Makogeni Sports Club (Kenya)

grumpydwarf
First Team Star

May 29, 2010, 6:55 PM

Team(s): non-league football

Post #14 of 22 (3761 views)
Shortcut

my dad was a life-time season ticket holder at Wolves and started taking me occasionally when I was young; had my first season ticket in the early 60`s; first match then was WOLVES 8 MANCHESTER CITY 1; I was hooked; what I can NEVER understand is people who `support` more than one club; there are teams I actively hope lose (SCUM) but never get excited by other club`s results; having said that I always hope that Walsall do well; a vain hope as it stands at the moment;

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

May 29, 2010, 8:10 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #15 of 22 (3748 views)
Shortcut
Re: [grumpydwarf] Why do you support the club you do ? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
my dad was a life-time season ticket holder at Wolves and started taking me occasionally when I was young; had my first season ticket in the early 60`s; first match then was WOLVES 8 MANCHESTER CITY 1; I was hooked; what I can NEVER understand is people who `support` more than one club; there are teams I actively hope lose (SCUM) but never get excited by other club`s results; having said that I always hope that Walsall do well; a vain hope as it stands at the moment;

Top half of League One, a season after promotion - where do you think a club of their size should be then ? There's no one of that size (gate-wise) in the division above and I struggle to see anyone of a similar size doing better than they are in their own division.

UKPunk

May 29, 2010, 9:24 PM

Post #16 of 22 (3735 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Why do you support the club you do ? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Top half of League One, a season after promotion - where do you think a club of their size should be then ? There's no one of that size (gate-wise) in the division above and I struggle to see anyone of a similar size doing better than they are in their own division.

Someone needs to point that out to some of their fans. Some were demonstrating against the chairman at their last home match of the season and a couple I spoke to said they think Walsall are capable of reaching the Championship.

buncranaboy

May 29, 2010, 9:30 PM

Post #17 of 22 (3732 views)
Shortcut
Re: [UKPunk] Why do you support the club you do ? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Goes to show there's a lot of numpties around.

Same with Ireland fans screaming disaffection if we fail to qualify for a tournament now. Chrissakes, my ambition when I was a lad, was that we'd make it once - just once - and I'd move heaven and earth to be there if that ever occurred. And then Stuttgart 1988 happened Cool

grumpydwarf
First Team Star

May 29, 2010, 9:33 PM

Team(s): non-league football

Post #18 of 22 (3732 views)
Shortcut

whilst agreeing that Walsall are probably where they should be, you have got to have ambition and that should be to get into the championship; have spoken to many Walsall fans recently and a lot of them have been regular attenders over the years; no longer; they are not happy with their chairman allegedly using club money to finance his life style; the way things are going their gates will dip below 3000 next season and this could end up with the club in Division 4;

buncranaboy

May 29, 2010, 9:41 PM

Post #19 of 22 (3728 views)
Shortcut
Re: [grumpydwarf] Why do you support the club you do ? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
whilst agreeing that Walsall are probably where they should be, you have got to have ambition and that should be to get into the championship; have spoken to many Walsall fans recently and a lot of them have been regular attenders over the years; no longer; they are not happy with their chairman allegedly using club money to finance his life style; the way things are going their gates will dip below 3000 next season and this could end up with the club in Division 4;

You've also got to have common sense and there's little point Walsall pushing the boat out in order to become the Championship whipping boys for a season. As I said, they're still new in this division and if they consolidate their position for a few years and manage to develop a nucleus that they can keep together, then by all means see what happens. At present, they are not a Championship club by any stretch of the imagination.

And any sentence including the word "allegedly" deserves to be taken with a pinch of salt as it smacks of arse-covering. Besides, it doesn't take much money to have a comparatively lavish lifestyle in Walsall. Cool

UKPunk

May 29, 2010, 10:55 PM

Post #20 of 22 (3704 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

There's nothing wrong with ambition but you have to temper it with a bit of realism. For example, my lot have ambitions of competing on a regular basis in the Champions League. But instead of trying to buy our way in like Manchester City (which would bankrupt us if we failed) we're going about it sensibly and living within our means. If Walsall manage to get promotion within their budget, fair play to them. But I think it will take time unless they embark on the risky strategy of throwing money at the problem.

sandhurstbee

May 30, 2010, 4:48 PM

Team(s): Brentford, Sandhurst Town and Most local Non League sides.

Post #21 of 22 (3627 views)
Shortcut

Problem in League One for clubs like Walsall and my side Brentford is that they are having to compete with clubs with far bigger budgets IE Last season included Leeds, Charlton, Norwich, Southampton, Huddersfield, Etc and it is a minor miracle that these clubs finished in the Top Half of the table. Of the 4 clubs that came up Gillingham and Wycome have gone straight back down whilst Exeter survived on the last day of the season.

Last New Ground 2016/17 (15) 29/4/2017 HIGHMOOR/IBIS RESERVES 1 Mortimer 1 - Thames Valley premier league, Premier Division

Barbie
First Team Regular

Jun 3, 2010, 11:51 AM

Team(s): Rye United RIP, Barry Town Utd

Post #22 of 22 (3484 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sandhurstbee] Why do you support the club you do ? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

BARRY TOWN - Born there, grew up there. All my mates were going to watch Cardiff City mid 70s but my mum wouldn't let me - probably a good idea for a 9 year old half Asian kid at the time. Finally was allowed to go and watch Barry. Beat King's Lynn 4-1. Followed them ever since. AND ALWAYS WILL.

RYE UNITED- Moved to the area 10 years ago. Travel to Barry was nearly 4 hours. Rye was the nearest pyramid club (by 200yds over Westfield) so I went along, within a year I was on the committee, within 5 I was chairman. Now I just show my face occasionally and prefer to groundhop. (Have since moved 3 miles down the road, making Hastings my nearest club but once a Ryer.....)

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3