Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: Non Football Related: Other Sports:
2010 grand national who are putting your money on ?

garethwrexy
Man City Transfer Target!

Apr 5, 2010, 10:22 AM

Team(s): wrexham and dulwich

Post #1 of 16 (8165 views)
Shortcut
2010 grand national who are putting your money on ? Can't Post or Reply Privately

me kings johns castle 50 to 1
vic venturi 21 to 1

wrexham fc fa trophy winners 2013 !

Richard Rundle

Apr 5, 2010, 11:12 AM

Post #2 of 16 (8158 views)
Shortcut
Re: [garethwrexy] 2010 grand national who are putting your money on ? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
me kings johns castle 50 to 1
vic venturi 21 to 1

Far too early to tell. The ground at Aintree could change dramatically before Saturday, and that will make a major difference as to who will win.

--
Richard

UKPunk

Apr 6, 2010, 12:08 AM

Post #3 of 16 (8139 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Richard Rundle] 2010 grand national who are putting your money on ? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

What I know about horse racing you could write on a postage stamp!! Crazy

Usually I just pick one of the favourites and another horse between 20/1 and 50/1 and put a couple of quid each way on both. This year however I'm going out early so won't bother.

1-0-1-0-4-25-40-65-181-289=606

Last game: Mon 20/8/18
4. Basford United 1 Hednesford Town 2

garethwrexy

Apr 6, 2010, 8:26 AM

Post #4 of 16 (8124 views)
Shortcut
Re: [UKPunk] 2010 grand national who are putting your money on ? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

been a while since a had a winner bobby jo in 98 ( must ad my dad did put the bet for me as i was only 12 at the timeTongue

andy1886
Reserve Team Sub

Apr 8, 2010, 8:13 PM

Team(s): motherwell and yorkshire non league

Post #5 of 16 (8077 views)
Shortcut
Re: [garethwrexy] 2010 grand national who are putting your money on ? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Having looked at the runners today the one my shilling is going on is a nag called ABBEYBRANEY . A near top class novice with a light weight . It may be 12 months too soon but next year he wont have this weight and he wont be anything like 66/1 so I am taking a chance he is classy enough to become the first novice to win since , well I have no idea !

Richard Rundle

Apr 8, 2010, 9:35 PM

Post #6 of 16 (8071 views)
Shortcut
Re: [andy1886] 2010 grand national who are putting your money on ? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Having looked at the runners today the one my shilling is going on is a nag called ABBEYBRANEY . A near top class novice with a light weight . It may be 12 months too soon but next year he wont have this weight and he wont be anything like 66/1 so I am taking a chance he is classy enough to become the first novice to win since , well I have no idea !

It's quite complicated but you might have a non-runner if one of the horses above it in the handicap come out before the deadline tomorrow lunchtime.

If that happens, Silver Birch at No.41 gets in. Then, the Wilsons have said they will withdraw Mr Pointment so their other horse, Cerium (2nd reserve) gets a run and then the Wylies have said the same thing re Abbeybraney to get Royal Rosa a run. In both cases, the owners think they have a better chance with the lower handicapped horse.

I've started looking at the form, and with the ground getting firmer, am looking at Maljimar as the unfortunate nag to carry my 1 e.w.
--
Richard

Richard Rundle

Apr 9, 2010, 10:06 AM

Post #7 of 16 (8051 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Richard Rundle] 2010 grand national who are putting your money on ? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

It's quite complicated but you might have a non-runner if one of the horses above it in the handicap come out before the deadline tomorrow lunchtime.

If that happens, Silver Birch at No.41 gets in. Then, the Wilsons have said they will withdraw Mr Pointment so their other horse, Cerium (2nd reserve) gets a run and then the Wylies have said the same thing re Abbeybraney to get Royal Rosa a run. In both cases, the owners think they have a better chance with the lower handicapped horse.

I've started looking at the form, and with the ground getting firmer, am looking at Maljimar as the unfortunate nag to carry my 1 e.w.
--
Richard

It almost happened like I predicted!

Silver Birch was actually withdrawn (will race today instead), then Mr Pointment was scratched allowing Cerium in, then finally Abbeybraney was taken out allowing Royal Rosa to get a run.

So, the four non-runners from the mid-week declarations are : Mr Pointment, Abbeybraney, Silver Birch, Knowhere.

--
Richard

(This post was edited by Richard Rundle on Apr 9, 2010, 12:25 PM)

paignton-nick
Chelsea Transfer Target

Apr 9, 2010, 10:14 AM

Team(s): Stevenage FC & Buckland Athletic

Post #8 of 16 (8047 views)
Shortcut

Black Apalachi.

Stevenage FC - Hertfordshire's finest!
Buckland Athletic- Pride of South Devon!

Kernovian
Reserve Team Sub

Apr 9, 2010, 3:06 PM

Team(s): Yeovil Town FC

Post #9 of 16 (8023 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paignton-nick] 2010 grand national who are putting your money on ? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

It's Irish Raptor for me...

Inherited by AngusGF

rambler77
First Team Star

Apr 9, 2010, 6:16 PM

Team(s): Oadby Town, Leicester City

Post #10 of 16 (8014 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Kernovian] 2010 grand national who are putting your money on ? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

5 to win on both Dream Alliance and Snowy Morning.

http://rambler77.zenfolio.com/

Richard Rundle

Apr 9, 2010, 7:05 PM

Post #11 of 16 (8007 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rambler77] 2010 grand national who are putting your money on ? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

With the drying conditions, it looks like Maljimar will be the one for me, although Snowy Morning also appeals. Of the outsiders, Eric's Charm may give you a run for your money.

--
Richard

villahopper
First Team Star

Apr 9, 2010, 10:03 PM

Team(s): Aston Villa Bromsgrove Sporting New York Jets

Post #12 of 16 (7988 views)
Shortcut

Dinner Hour 12/1 Wink

northstandexile
First Team Regular

Apr 9, 2010, 10:59 PM

Team(s): Mansfield Town

Post #13 of 16 (7981 views)
Shortcut
Re: [villahopper] 2010 grand national who are putting your money on ? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In my younger days there were many horses in the National carrying 10 stone as this is the minimum weight so you could discount many of the high numbered runners as they were disadvantaged by carrying more weight than their true handicap.

Nowadays the bottom weight is greater than 10 stone so all horses are truly handicapped.

Why has this happened, what I mean is why has the 'quality' of horses in the field gone up. Is it just the extra prize money on offer nowadays?

Oh by the way my money is on King John's Castle.

andy1886
Reserve Team Sub

Apr 10, 2010, 5:41 AM

Team(s): motherwell and yorkshire non league

Post #14 of 16 (7972 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

--
Richard

It almost happened like I predicted!

Silver Birch was actually withdrawn (will race today instead), then Mr Pointment was scratched allowing Cerium in, then finally Abbeybraney was taken out allowing Royal Rosa to get a run.

So, the four non-runners from the mid-week declarations are : Mr Pointment, Abbeybraney, Silver Birch, Knowhere.

--
Richard

Blimey with predictions like that coming true I think I might just follow your selection but with the drying ground conditions , form in the race last year and a nice fresh horse my money is now going on State Of Play with an each way on Joe Lively .

KnowYourMarket

Apr 10, 2010, 9:43 AM

Team(s): WBA, FC Saarbruecken, Brierley Hill Alliance (RIP)

Post #15 of 16 (7958 views)
Shortcut
Re: [northstandexile] 2010 grand national who are putting your money on ? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The quality of the horses is higher, most horses that did carry 10st were more handicapped too as their true weight should have been as low as 8st and the minimum weight allowed was 10st.

Weight does not slow horses either, it's class that stops them winning. I will explain, let's say a flat horse rated 90 wins a 0-90 handicap with 10st on its back, the handicapper will then penalise the horse by say 7lbs. This means the horse can no longer run in that class of race and is therefore just encountering better quality horses next time it runs and it is class that stops it winning. Adding a few pounds to an athlete that weighs a ton has negligible effect on it's speed. Once the horse has a few average/poor runs in that company the handicapper will reduce the weight and eventually the horse will run in a race that it is capable of winning again.

I studied this in depth in mid 90s and it's amazing how class stops horses winning not weight. For instance, a horse carrying 8st (rating of 62) in a 0-90 handicap can go on to win quite regularly in a season as long as the handicapper does not deem his performance 28lbs higher to force it into the next level of racing.

Other things that you have to take into account are the actual speed of the race on the day, a 0-90 can have been won at a slow speed and therefore it was not a truly run race. You need to take into account ground and wind speed for this, which although not an exact science can be done with some effort.

As with all things if you want to be ahead of the bookie you need to put some graft into your information.

If not, just have a flutter and lose what you can afford and enjoy it.

Last ground visited(update requested by Spud): Wellington . New grounds 18/19: 38

garethwrexy

Apr 11, 2010, 2:11 PM

Post #16 of 16 (7906 views)
Shortcut
Re: [KnowYourMarket] 2010 grand national who are putting your money on ? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

kings john castle refused to start and vic venturi fell !

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3