exiledrobins
Junior Team Sub

Mar 31, 2010, 11:33 PM

Team(s): Bristol City/Bridgwater Town

Post #1 of 5 (3274 views)
Shortcut
Bridgwater Town FC: money problems? Can't Post or Reply Privately

Hi all,

I'm a long time lurker, with an interest in the non-league game, but never really had the inclination to post before due to my location (I've only managed to attend two games in the UK this season).

What has spurred me to post is the news that the playing budget has been cut at Bridgwater Town due to cash flow problems, according to this report:

http://www.bridgwatertownfc1984.co.uk/...etails.asp?RepID=565

I'm wondering if anybody here can elighten me, as to what is happening? The report states that we had one of the lowest playing budgets in the division anyway, but we're easily the best supported club and I was always under the impression that we were sensibly run? There isn't any sugar daddy and income from commercial activities probably isn't as high as at other clubs? But having seen the team go bust back in 1984, and only now seeing us doing as well as we are, I was a bit shocked to hear this. Any ideas?

dtd
Youth Team Sub

Apr 1, 2010, 12:23 PM

Team(s): Lierse SK

Post #2 of 5 (3141 views)
Shortcut
Re: [exiledrobins] Bridgwater Town FC: money problems? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Now why do Half Man Half Biscuit come to mind?

“You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.” - Harlan Ellison

Mishi
Man City Transfer Target!

Apr 1, 2010, 12:25 PM

Team(s): Dulwich Hamlet

Post #3 of 5 (3135 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dtd] Bridgwater Town FC: money problems? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I actually have no idea. Why do Half Man, Half biscuit come to mind?

Grounds visited: 629
Last new ground: Guru Nanak FC; Guru Nanak sports ground, Gravesend, Kent.(Kent County League Division One East)
Last game: Sunday 18th May. Millwall Lionesses 2, Oxford United Women 0. (FA Women's Super League 2)
Football matches watched this season: 117
2013/14-New English grounds:17; & foreign: 8

bspittles
Reserve Team Regular

Apr 1, 2010, 1:00 PM

Team(s): Leek Town, Oxford United

Post #4 of 5 (3112 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mishi] Bridgwater Town FC: money problems? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

They released an album entitled "Trouble over Bridgewater".

exiledrobins
Junior Team Sub

Apr 1, 2010, 7:48 PM

Team(s): Bristol City/Bridgwater Town

Post #5 of 5 (2944 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bspittles] Bridgwater Town FC: money problems? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Ha, ha very good. A bit more internet research has revealed the following:

http://www.bridgwatermercury.co.uk/...ut__future_is_safe_/

Sounds as if they are cutting their cloth accordingly. Perhaps they are just being sensible? After all the future of the club is paramount.

What I don't get is if Bridgwater have a low playing budget in comparison to other clubs in the division, have gates of 350 and still have financial problems, how on earth do clubs like Bishops Cleeve/AFC Hayes survive on the attendances they get?

The Soccerlinks Hit List

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3