First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

1.FCN
Junior Team Sub

Feb 4, 2010, 8:48 PM

Team(s):

Post #1 of 46 (4312 views)
Shortcut
Milton Road - Last chance to see Can't Post or Reply Privately

I appreciate many of you will already have a "tick" under this one but after today's announcement that Cambridge City will be leaving their spiritual city centre home after 88 years, and groundsharing at Newmarket Town FC from the start of next season, I thought I'd post the remaining 10 scheduled 1st team fixtures at Milton Road for those who may wish to pay a visit before she's gone.

Sat 6th Feb - Bashley (Southern League) 3.00pm
Tues 9th Feb - Arlesey Town (League Cup QF) 7:45pm
Sat 20th Feb - Oxford City (Southern League) 3:00pm

Tues 2nd Mar - Rugby Town (Southern League) 7:45pm
Sat 6th Mar - Halesowen Town (Southern League) 3:00pm
Tues 9th Mar - Farnborough (Southern League) 7:45pm
Sat 20th Mar - Evesham Town (Southern League) 3:00pm

Mon 5th Apr - Bedford Town (Southern League) 3:00pm
Sat 10th Apr - Merthyr Tydfil (Southern League) 3:00pm
Sat 24th Apr - Hednesford Town (Southern League) 3:00pm

Grounds visited: 211

Mishi
Man City Transfer Target!

Feb 4, 2010, 8:52 PM

Team(s): Dulwich Hamlet

Post #2 of 46 (4296 views)
Shortcut
Re: [1.FCN] Milton Road - Last chance to see [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

As luck would have it the Dulwich Hamlet v. Eastbourne Town fixture was brought forward earlier this season, so we have a blank Saturday on 20th March, & it's my Saturday off work. So I hope to get there then.

As someone who supports a club side first & foremost it will be a rare treat to get to a ground I haven't been to before it disappears.

Just one question...what's the club shop like?

Cheers!

Grounds visited: 745
Last new ground:Horsham FC; The Camping World Community Stadium, Horsham, West Sussex. (Isthmian League Premier Division)
Last game: Saturday 21st September 2019: Dulwich Hamlet 6, Bognor Regis Town 1. [ FA Cup 2nd qualifying round]
Matches watched this season: 46
2017/18-New English grounds: 7 & foreign: 0

1.FCN
Junior Team Sub

Feb 4, 2010, 9:07 PM

Team(s):

Post #3 of 46 (4285 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mishi] Milton Road - Last chance to see [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

It would be good to see you there Mishi!

We have the standard portacabin type club shop (which has seen better days) selling all the usual stuff such as club merchandise, old programmes, books, DVDs, calenders, badges etc etc.

Grounds visited: 211

Chapeltom
Chelsea Transfer Target

Feb 4, 2010, 9:30 PM

Team(s): Sheffield Wednesday (ENG), Uni Lions (Taiwan baseball)

Post #4 of 46 (4271 views)
Shortcut
Re: [1.FCN] Milton Road - Last chance to see [In reply to] Can't Post or

I will try and get down there, its possibly going to cost £30 by public transport as Cambridge is some what of an oddball to get to from this side of the country!

Looking at advance tickets from the next village to Peterborough its £10.55 there and £7.25 back. Returns from Peterborough to Cambridge are £8.00 ish...

I'll book the tickets down to the last match in 10 days time.... Wink

stourboy
First Team Star

Feb 4, 2010, 11:20 PM

Team(s): Stourbridge FC, Sheffield Wednesday

Post #5 of 46 (4217 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Chapeltom] Milton Road - Last chance to see [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Regular buses from outside the station to the road of the ground as well.

A gem of a ground in my view; I really enjoyed my trip and such a shame it's going.

Just glad I got there in time!

Chapeltom
Chelsea Transfer Target

Feb 5, 2010, 9:01 AM

Post #6 of 46 (4167 views)
Shortcut
Re: [stourboy] Milton Road - Last chance to see [In reply to] Can't Post or

Bus? I'll be walking! If its 3 miles I'm not bothered, I can't be bothered with paying silly money out Wink

Sod it, I'll buy the tickets in a bit. £26.20 return to Cambridge via London.

(This post was edited by Chapeltom on Feb 5, 2010, 9:09 AM)

PonteCarlo
First Team Star

Feb 5, 2010, 12:31 PM

Team(s): Grimsby Town, Pontefract Collieries

Post #7 of 46 (4115 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Chapeltom] Milton Road - Last chance to see [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Said in true Yorkshire fashion Tom! All that time working with Hallam seems to have rubbed off on you - I too won't pay to get on a bus unless absolutely necessary (beyond 3-4 miles).
Think I'll get to this ground before the season finishes as Cambridge looks very good for real ale too. February is booked up for me at the moment so it's sometime in March, maybe the 20th when Mishi visits.

Proud spectator of real football.

Hop, hop, hopping on heaven's door

PhilT
Reserve Team Regular

Feb 5, 2010, 12:37 PM

Team(s): Peterborough United

Post #8 of 46 (4105 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PonteCarlo] Milton Road - Last chance to see [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I'll certainly miss Milton Road. Go there on average 2 or 3 times a season, and it's a nice place to spend an afternoon. Good parking, within walking distance of the shops for the wife, and usually an entertaining team to watch.
Have always preferred going there over Camb U & Histon.

Wish them all the best at Newmarket, although I doubt I'll get over to see them there much - Newmarket's a once a year shopping trip at best Frown

Aggedor
Deleted

Feb 5, 2010, 1:04 PM

Team(s):

Post #9 of 46 (4087 views)
Shortcut
Re: [1.FCN] Milton Road - Last chance to see [In reply to] Can't Post or

For those who haven't, make sure you do. This was one of my all-time favourite visits, made extra special by the welcome from the Cambridge City fans. I think it may have had something to do with the head of the supporters club also being from Swansea, but in any case I loved it. Sad to see Milton road go, but pleased that Cambridge City FC will still be alive and well!!

Dr Love
Chelsea Transfer Target

Feb 5, 2010, 4:07 PM

Team(s): Halifax Town

Post #10 of 46 (4043 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Aggedor] Milton Road - Last chance to see [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Planning on making the trip tomorrow. Along with Hayes & Yeading it's one I'd like to try and get to before the end of the season as a result of this forum.

Chapeltom
Chelsea Transfer Target

Feb 5, 2010, 5:33 PM

Post #11 of 46 (4016 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dr Love] Milton Road - Last chance to see [In reply to] Can't Post or

With regards to Cambridge City, if anyone from Midlands/North is thinking of doing the last game I'd like to know. It would save me some dosh.

stourboy
First Team Star

Feb 6, 2010, 6:33 PM

Team(s): Stourbridge FC, Sheffield Wednesday

Post #12 of 46 (3922 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Bus? I'll be walking! If its 3 miles I'm not bothered, I can't be bothered with paying silly money out Wink

Sod it, I'll buy the tickets in a bit. £26.20 return to Cambridge via London.

Why not via Leicester?

UKPunk

Feb 7, 2010, 9:32 PM

Post #13 of 46 (3838 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dr Love] Milton Road - Last chance to see [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Planning on making the trip tomorrow. Along with Hayes & Yeading it's one I'd like to try and get to before the end of the season as a result of this forum.

Hang on, have I missed something? Are Hayes & Yeading moving at the end of the season as well?

1-0-1-0-4-25-40-65-181-289=606

Last game: Mon 20/8/18
4. Basford United 1 Hednesford Town 2

Garrincha's dog
First Team Star

Feb 8, 2010, 1:55 PM

Post #14 of 46 (3783 views)
Shortcut
Re: [UKPunk] Milton Road - Last chance to see [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

No, BUT there is/has been talk of a move and the Ground in question, where they will be going, is already in use. Therefore it could be a move with minimal notice - worth making a visit.

UKPunk

Feb 8, 2010, 1:58 PM

Post #15 of 46 (3778 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Garrincha's dog] Milton Road - Last chance to see [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Thanks for that GD. It's going to be a struggle to fit it in before the end of the season though. I'll have to look into it.

1-0-1-0-4-25-40-65-181-289=606

Last game: Mon 20/8/18
4. Basford United 1 Hednesford Town 2

Swindon Addick
Reserve Team Regular

Feb 9, 2010, 8:35 PM

Team(s): Cambridge City, Charlton Athletic

Post #16 of 46 (3689 views)
Shortcut
Re: [UKPunk] Milton Road - Last chance to see [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

An update for those still trying to tick off Milton Road - City have just announced the date of their Cambridgeshire Invitiation Cup semi-final, which will be on Tues 23rd as long as CRC and Mildenhall have resolved their quarter final by then. It will definitely be a first-team fixture, as City don't have a reserve team. CRC would mean a re-visit to Milton Road for their manager, who was a director of City when it was proposed to merge us out of existence and who isn't exactly our favourite person.

So the remaining games (barring a home play-off, which is still a possibility) are:

Tues 23rd Feb - CRC or Mildenhall (county cup) 7:45pm

That really brings it home to me how little time is left. Very, very sad, as it's a fantastic ground and holds a lot of memories, but there's nothing we can do about it.

Cambridge City - on a tour of places we've never heard of and can't spell.

Torbaymick
Reserve Team Regular

Feb 10, 2010, 12:05 AM

Team(s): Reading Leeds United Buckland Athletic

Post #17 of 46 (3630 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Swindon Addick] Milton Road - Last chance to see [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
An update for those still trying to tick off Milton Road - City have just announced the date of their Cambridgeshire Invitiation Cup semi-final, which will be on Tues 23rd as long as CRC and Mildenhall have resolved their quarter final by then. It will definitely be a first-team fixture, as City don't have a reserve team. CRC would mean a re-visit to Milton Road for their manager, who was a director of City when it was proposed to merge us out of existence and who isn't exactly our favourite person.

So the remaining games (barring a home play-off, which is still a possibility) are:

Tues 23rd Feb - CRC or Mildenhall (county cup) 7:45pm

That really brings it home to me how little time is left. Very, very sad, as it's a fantastic ground and holds a lot of memories, but there's nothing we can do about it.

Will they play there Play-Offs at milton road or Newmarket, I understand Cricket Field Road must be ready by March 31 is that for the league or so they can play the play-offs there.

www.thoughts.com/MickeysSouthwest08Hop/blog

Swindon Addick
Reserve Team Regular

Feb 14, 2010, 12:48 PM

Post #18 of 46 (3491 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Torbaymick] Milton Road - Last chance to see [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Will they play there Play-Offs at milton road or Newmarket, I understand Cricket Field Road must be ready by March 31 is that for the league or so they can play the play-offs there.

At the moment the venue for a home play-off is a bit academic, but if our form improves enough to get to 3rd from our current 5th then any home play-off would be at Milton Road. Subject to Cricket Field Road passing the ground grading in time, of course.

Meanwhile, some developments in the cups. The game on 2 March will now be a (home) league cup semi-final. That means one or possibly two further home games - Rugby Town will be rescheduled once we can fix a date with them, and if we were to beat Hednesford then the final's over two legs so there would be another game on 13 or 20 April. But let's not count any chickens about that, as it will be a tough semi, and I think it would leave us with a problem on 20 April when we're away at Chippenham. So that leaves:

Tues 23rd Feb - Mildenhall (county cup) 7:45pm

Tues 2nd Mar - Hednesford Town (League Cup s/f) 7:45pm

tbc - Rugby Town (Southern League), most likely a Tuesday at 7:45pm

NeilH
Youth Team Star

Feb 15, 2010, 7:31 PM

Team(s): Cambridge City

Post #19 of 46 (3411 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Swindon Addick] Milton Road - Last chance to see [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The Rugby Town game has been slotted in for Tuesday 2nd March 2010.

The Club have also announced:

Plans are afoot to have a special final match at Milton Road before we say goodbye for the last time. More details will be revealed in the near future, but this may not just be the only ‘farewell event’ as there is a possibility of a whole host of events to mark the closure of the ground during May, but again, more definite arrangements once they have been finalised.

Source CCFC official site at www.cambridgecityfc.com

Swindon Addick
Reserve Team Regular

Feb 16, 2010, 6:22 PM

Post #20 of 46 (3351 views)
Shortcut
Re: [NeilH] Milton Road - Last chance to see [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Just to clarify, the rugby game has gone back 2 weeks to 16 March. With our away game at Bedford a victim of the weather, we look like having some serious fixture congestion, which makes it that little bit more difficult to reach the playoffs.

Updated countdown:

Tues 23rd Feb - Mildenhall (county cup) 7:45pm

Tues 2nd Mar - Hednesford Town (League Cup s/f) 7:45pm
Tues 16th Mar - Rugby Town (Southern League) 7:45pm

PonteCarlo
First Team Star

Feb 18, 2010, 1:10 PM

Team(s): Grimsby Town, Pontefract Collieries

Post #21 of 46 (3261 views)
Shortcut

Advanced train tickets booked for this now, I'm off on the 20th v Evesham United. Cambridge looks cracking for real ale, I can't wait!

Proud spectator of real football.

Hop, hop, hopping on heaven's door

mip

Feb 18, 2010, 9:22 PM

Team(s): Portsmouth, OB, Svendborg fB, Tved B

Post #22 of 46 (3224 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PonteCarlo] Milton Road - Last chance to see [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Advanced train tickets booked for this now, I'm off on the 20th v Evesham United. Cambridge looks cracking for real ale, I can't wait!

Off on the 2nd v Hednesford courtesy of Mr. Ryan. Sounds good with the real ale. Any particular pub(s) to recommend?

paulh66
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Feb 18, 2010, 10:09 PM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #23 of 46 (3205 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mip] Milton Road - Last chance to see [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Off on the 2nd v Hednesford courtesy of Mr. Ryan. Sounds good with the real ale. Any particular pub(s) to recommend?

There's 12 in this year's Good Beer Guide! Crazy Of which I've tried two - Cambridge Blue and Live & Let Live. Both are in quiet residential areas near to the station and both served a good range of very well-kept ales when I visited 18 months ago.

NeilH
Youth Team Star

Feb 22, 2010, 7:58 PM

Team(s): Cambridge City

Post #24 of 46 (3130 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] Milton Road - Last chance to see [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The Cambridgeshire Invitation Cup Semi Final versus Mildenhall Town scheduled for tomorrow evening has been postponed to Thursday evening (25th Feb 2010), weather permitting.

Chapeltom
Chelsea Transfer Target

Feb 22, 2010, 10:57 PM

Post #25 of 46 (3100 views)
Shortcut
Re: [NeilH] Milton Road - Last chance to see [In reply to] Can't Post or

Definitely coming to the last game on the 24th April! Train tickets booked from Leicester to Cambridge, thats the easy part...

I have to get a 20 minute bus to Buxton, 90 minute bus to Derby then a half hour train to Leicester OR buy a Derbyshire Wayfarer, train to Sheffield then onto Leicester that way, having to buy a new ticket at Derby! It'll be probably take 5 hours each way and will be greatly complicating. 1300 arrival in Cambridge and 7pm departure out.

Gonna be a good one Smile touch wood, if that Leicester train is more than 20 minutes late I'm essentially fooked but oh well haha....

Tom

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3