Twenty Questions - Sources

Monsieur Pascal
Youth Team Star

Dec 27, 2009, 11:30 PM

Team(s): Coventry City for my sins

Post #1 of 10 (43035 views)
Shortcut
Twenty Questions - Sources Can't Post or Reply Privately

I know its still the same day (for me at least) so this is not a go at 20Q. But I'm interested to know some of the types of sources that others use, both to set, and to research answers for, 20Q's. Is it just the web, and if so, are there any sites of the wierd & wonderful football facts ?

For me, and other than internet research, I have about 10 Rothmans books and some playfair/News of the World annuals (the 5.99 sort), plus a collection of oddities from books, after-dinner speakers' anecdotes, and info gleaned from some FA positions.

Perhaps those of you who control the site or at least the 20Q part, might decide to set up a separate thread if there's any interest in debate.

(This post was edited by Jamesie on Dec 28, 2009, 10:53 AM)

Lars
Reserve Team Star

Dec 27, 2009, 11:47 PM

Team(s): Yeovil, Kettering

Post #2 of 10 (43027 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Monsieur Pascal] Twenty Questions - Sources [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I know its still the same day (for me at least) so this is not a go at 20Q. But I'm interested to know some of the types of sources that others use, both to set, and to research answers for, 20Q's. Is it just the web, and if so, are there any sites of the wierd & wonderful football facts ?

For me, and other than internet research, I have about 10 Rothmans books and some playfair/News of the World annuals (the 5.99 sort), plus a collection of oddities from books, after-dinner speakers' anecdotes, and info gleaned from some FA positions.

Perhaps those of you who control the site or at least the 20Q part, might decide to set up a separate thread if there's any interest in debate.

Please don't discuss this here! (If I am to choose.) Please post a new thread instead, here or in the General chat-section. I think it's nice to sort threads here, to see which is the longest and shortest.

(And, I am currently leading with my last 90-replies thread about England never having defeated Sweden in a competitive game. Wink)

(This post was edited by Jamesie on Dec 28, 2009, 11:13 AM)

Jamesie
Deleted

Dec 28, 2009, 11:24 AM

Team(s):

Post #3 of 10 (42990 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Monsieur Pascal] Twenty Questions - Sources [In reply to] Can't Post or

It is worth having as a little discussion on this, I doubt it'll give much away and could be rather entertaining.

For mine, I use mainly internet sources for research. There are no sites exclusively, I find Wikipedia unreliable and a tad mischevious, but it serves a nice base point if I see a subject I fancy as an answer. RSSSF is the most reliable source for international statistics, and for E/Os... well I've offloaded about 200 books to a local charity shop last week, so that tells you where most of my older answers come from. Other than that, I have been writing "novelty" articles for the Sheffield FC programme for the last ten years, and every one of them is on THIS lap-top. So it is easy for me to simply pluck something pre-researched from there.

As for the guessing, you'd be amazed how many I've won that have been in one of "those" articles...

Just a note to anyone who is wondering, I am no longer a moderator of this forum due to current personal circumstances and work commitments. If you need help, contact leohoenig or Steve walker. Thank You.

Jamesie
Deleted

Dec 28, 2009, 11:28 AM

Team(s):

Post #4 of 10 (42989 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Lars] Twenty Questions - Sources [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To
Please don't discuss this here! (If I am to choose.) Please post a new thread instead, here or in the General chat-section. I think it's nice to sort threads here, to see which is the longest and shortest.

(And, I am currently leading with my last 90-replies thread about England never having defeated Sweden in a competitive game. Wink)

As requested Lars... but be aware the record out of all the 222 previous 20Qs stands at 148 replies, now deleted, for a v-e-r-y frustrating answer... a book that was written by Derek Dougan Mad. I think Nico won it and "Mick" set it... could be wrong. The shortest was 8 replies for 20Qs #1...

Just a note to anyone who is wondering, I am no longer a moderator of this forum due to current personal circumstances and work commitments. If you need help, contact leohoenig or Steve walker. Thank You.

chris41
Man City Transfer Target! / Moderator

Dec 28, 2009, 4:07 PM

Post #5 of 10 (42976 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Jamesie] Twenty Questions - Sources [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

For me I have only been fortunate to win twice and when setting both subjects it was a bit of both (having reasonable football knowledge and finding something interesting on the Web during research). My first subject was something that I remember at the time about 25 years ago and the other subject which I chose was found by chance by probably trying to find an answer to a previous 20Q set. I wonder how many other 20Q subjects have been set coming across something when trying to find an answer to a previous 20Q answer.

There does not appear to be that many websites out there where you can find just obscure football trivia. A lot of the obscure event/occurrence subjects are better found in The John Motson small style trivia books which I think that one or two people have used in the past when setting their 20q subject. The Rsssf website is very good for research into the leagues in the lesser known countries and territories.

Occasionally the trivia can be so obscure that there is no reference whatsoever on the web to find it, so unless you went to the match, remember reading about it or have got the book there is very little hope of getting the right answer. It is much better in my opinion when there is a chance to find the answer via the web even if it is only a remote chance of getting the correct answer.

Most of my research when searching for an answer is through wiki but not always reliable and I also have about 12 Rothmans football yearbooks which can come in useful if the subject is an event/occurrence and I have that particular yearbook.

It is also very good that perhaps 90% of the subjects chosen have an interesting fact/piece of trivia as to why that person chose it rather then choose anything at random.

(This post was edited by chris41 on Dec 28, 2009, 9:15 PM)

Lars
Reserve Team Star

Dec 28, 2009, 8:31 PM

Post #6 of 10 (42968 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Jamesie] Twenty Questions - Sources [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

As requested Lars... but be aware the record out of all the 222 previous 20Qs stands at 148 replies, now deleted, for a v-e-r-y frustrating answer... a book that was written by Derek Dougan Mad. I think Nico won it and "Mick" set it... could be wrong. The shortest was 8 replies for 20Qs #1...

Thank you Jamesie for making it a new thread.

Since there is no evidence left regarding that 148 replies thread, I consider myself - Lars! - as having the thread with most replies. Wink

Out of curiosity, what was the #1 thread (with only 8 replies) about? Something that just had happened or?

Sources for finding the answers... I use Google and Wikipedia. My first win here was done in a very intelligent way, by putting well chosen words into google and then clicking search. Jamesie telling me which words to search for, and which of the links to follow, also helped a bit. If I'm not wrong, the correct answer may have something to do with a player being sent of three times in a single game. Or if it was something to do with the legendary Dean Windass. Or perhaps both?? Wink

Coming up with new threads is simple. I just pick things I think about a lot. Like the one about Hanna Ljungberg. Sly Or the one about my first election. Or the one about England never having defeated Sweden in a competitive game (despite seven attempts!). Sly Or the fact that Tomas Brolin's last kick in the Swedish national team was a tremendous set up for a goal, while it unfortunately also made him break his leg. Unsure
I still have ideas for new threads, like ... and ... and ... . Wink

Garrincha's dog
First Team Star

Dec 28, 2009, 10:10 PM

Post #7 of 10 (42953 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Lars] Twenty Questions - Sources [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I have a couple of great answers (my opinion only) ready for a 20 questions, trouble is I never get within a sniff of winning, so it is unlikely that they will ever see the light of day. Oh well.

Jamesie
Deleted

Dec 28, 2009, 10:36 PM

Team(s):

Post #8 of 10 (42945 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Lars] Twenty Questions - Sources [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To
Out of curiosity, what was the #1 thread (with only 8 replies) about? Something that just had happened or?

The #1 was more or less a 20Qs drop ball, as the old forum had crashed. I don't think the old forum had 20Qs running as long as this one's has, but it crashed in the middle of a game, and no-one seemed to know who was running it at the time. For the record it went something like this...

Post #1 - Okay, blah, blah... drop ball.
Post #2 - Q: Is it a club
Post #3 - No
Post #4 - Q: Is it a person?
Post #5 - Yes
Post #6 - G: Tony Kempster?
Post #7 - Yes
Post #8 - Yay, I win.

Lars
Reserve Team Star

Dec 28, 2009, 10:40 PM

Post #9 of 10 (42942 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

The #1 was more or less a 20Qs drop ball, as the old forum had crashed. I don't think the old forum had 20Qs running as long as this one's has, but it crashed in the middle of a game, and no-one seemed to know who was running it at the time. For the record it went something like this...

Post #1 - Okay, blah, blah... drop ball.
Post #2 - Q: Is it a club
Post #3 - No
Post #4 - Q: Is it a person?
Post #5 - Yes
Post #6 - G: Tony Kempster?
Post #7 - Yes
Post #8 - Yay, I win.

Thank you.

mip
Man City Transfer Target! / Moderator

Dec 28, 2009, 10:48 PM

Team(s): Portsmouth, OB, Svendborg fB, Tved B

Post #10 of 10 (42940 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Lars] Twenty Questions - Sources [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

When hunting for an answer, the Internet is my prime source - Google and Wikipedia obviously yield lots of info, filtering and finding the right information is the tricky part. I've always (well nearly always) read many books. Having a brain that happily stores lots and lots of useless information also comes in handy.

As for finding my own answers, basically loads of trivia stored over many years from above sources. Since I joined the 20Q game I've build up a 20Q.answers file on my laptop adding stuff whenever something that might be of interest pops up in my brain. As an aside, Jamesie, hopefully you have a backup of data on THAT laptop. I know I'm paranoid when it comes to computer hard drives but ...

Hunting for answers has become a nice piece of relaxation whenever I need a break from work. For me an important part of the game is trawling through all sorts of interesting data whether relevant for the quiz or not.

The Soccerlinks Hit List

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3