First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member! / Moderator

Dec 7, 2009, 11:49 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #26 of 57 (2074 views)
Shortcut
     Re: [Jamesie] Twenty Questions #215 [In reply to]   or Reply Privately

For those of us who CBA to Wiki-translate or whatever, was that born before or after 1960 in answer to mip

Jamesie
Deleted

Dec 7, 2009, 11:53 PM

Team(s):

Post #27 of 57 (2069 views)
Shortcut
     Re: [buncranaboy] Twenty Questions #215 [In reply to]   or

In Reply To
For those of us who CBA to Wiki-translate or whatever, was that born before or after 1960 in answer to mip

He was born after 1960 Paddy (and this doesn't count as a question). I promise to answer all further questions in English. Wink

Just a note to anyone who is wondering, I am no longer a moderator of this forum due to current personal circumstances and work commitments. If you need help, contact leohoenig or Steve walker. Thank You.

mip
Man City Transfer Target! / Moderator

Dec 7, 2009, 11:53 PM

Team(s): Portsmouth, OB, Svendborg fB, Tved B

Post #28 of 57 (2068 views)
Shortcut
     Re: [buncranaboy] Twenty Questions #215 [In reply to]   or Reply Privately

EDIT: Did get my original post in before midnight... so my Henry-like Monday guess will be Fred Klaus, little known German footballer though he did have one season with Hamburger SV.

(This post was edited by mip on Dec 8, 2009, 12:10 AM)

buncranaboy

Dec 7, 2009, 11:57 PM

Post #29 of 57 (2063 views)
Shortcut
     Re: [mip] Twenty Questions #215 [In reply to]   or Reply Privately

So my wild stab in the dark (for nowShocked) will be Mart Poom

Jamesie
Deleted

Dec 8, 2009, 12:02 AM

Team(s):

Post #30 of 57 (2059 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
So my wild stab in the dark (for nowShocked) will be Mart Poom

No, not him.

Just a note to anyone who is wondering, I am no longer a moderator of this forum due to current personal circumstances and work commitments. If you need help, contact leohoenig or Steve walker. Thank You.

mip

Dec 8, 2009, 12:29 AM

Post #31 of 57 (2048 views)
Shortcut

Is part of this player's name Klaus or derivatives thereof (like Claus or Claas etc)? Also please see my slightly handled guess above.

(This post was edited by mip on Dec 8, 2009, 12:30 AM)

Jamesie
Deleted

Dec 8, 2009, 12:33 AM

Team(s):

Post #32 of 57 (2045 views)
Shortcut
     Re: [mip] Twenty Questions #215 [In reply to]   or

In Reply To
EDIT: Did get my original post in before midnight... so my Henry-like Monday guess will be Fred Klaus, little known German footballer though he did have one season with Hamburger SV.

No... erm, I see where you get the guess from, but that wasn't a clue in my reply to Jon.

Jamesie
Deleted

Dec 8, 2009, 12:34 AM

Team(s):

Post #33 of 57 (2044 views)
Shortcut
     Re: [mip] Twenty Questions #215 [In reply to]   or

In Reply To
Is part of this player's name Klaus or derivatives thereof (like Claus or Claas etc)? Also please see my slightly handled guess above.

As I said, nothing to do with Christmas.

mip

Dec 8, 2009, 12:39 AM

Post #34 of 57 (2042 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

As I said, nothing to do with Christmas.

Not really Christmas but Saint Nicholas' day which is December 6th - Nikolaus in German or Sinterklaas in Dutch. Ah well got too clever for myself there...

Monsieur Pascal
Youth Team Star

Dec 8, 2009, 1:33 AM

Team(s): Coventry City for my sins

Post #35 of 57 (2035 views)
Shortcut
     Re: [mip] Twenty Questions #215 [In reply to]   or Reply Privately

I do hope that the various descriptions already given are interpreted as I would:

1 - a "European" person means someone from mainland Europe (thereby excluding Ireland, Iceland, Faroes, and excluding Russia and all its renamed entities/satellites - Estonia, Latvia etc);
2 - "Scandinavia" excludes Denmark;
3 - "Not Med Coast" means you are not sneakily allowing Adriatic states to be included Cool;
4 - "has a coastline" excludes countries only with inland seas Crazy;

So by my reckoning (and feel free to tell me I'm wrong, but only if I am), we are left with 6 countries.

Here's my question: Has the person we are seeking been an international for one of Portugal, Belgium or Holland ?

Jamesie
Deleted

Dec 8, 2009, 9:06 AM

Team(s):

Post #36 of 57 (2021 views)
Shortcut
     Re: [Monsieur Pascal] Twenty Questions #215 [In reply to]   or

In Reply To
I do hope that the various descriptions already given are interpreted as I would:

1 - a "European" person means someone from mainland Europe (thereby excluding Ireland, Iceland, Faroes, and excluding Russia and all its renamed entities/satellites - Estonia, Latvia etc);
3 - "Not Med Coast" means you are not sneakily allowing Adriatic states to be included Cool;

So by my reckoning (and feel free to tell me I'm wrong, but only if I am), we are left with 6 countries.

Here's my question: Has the person we are seeking been an international for one of Portugal, Belgium or Holland ?

Alll of the above is a good assumption. The person we are seeking been an international for one of Portugal, Belgium or Holland.

chris41

Dec 8, 2009, 10:24 AM

Post #37 of 57 (2012 views)
Shortcut

Has the player retired from international football in the last 5 years e.g after 8.12.2004 ?

Jamesie
Deleted

Dec 8, 2009, 10:38 AM

Team(s):

Post #38 of 57 (2009 views)
Shortcut
     Re: [chris41] Twenty Questions #215 [In reply to]   or

In Reply To
Has the player retired from international football in the last 5 years e.g after 8.12.2004 ?

No, well before that. Don't try and go too far into the international appearances field. Just for everyone's sake. Wink I know when this player played for their country, and it wasn't that often.

buncranaboy

Dec 8, 2009, 12:06 PM

Post #39 of 57 (1993 views)
Shortcut

Let's try to narrow the bugger's age down then - born after 1 Jan 1970 ?

Garrincha's dog
First Team Star

Dec 8, 2009, 12:31 PM

Post #40 of 57 (1990 views)
Shortcut

Did he ever get on the scoresheet in an international fixture?

Jamesie
Deleted

Dec 8, 2009, 12:36 PM

Team(s):

Post #41 of 57 (1987 views)
Shortcut
     Re: [Garrincha's dog] Twenty Questions #215 [In reply to]   or

In Reply To
Did he ever get on the scoresheet in an international fixture?

No

Jamesie
Deleted

Dec 8, 2009, 12:39 PM

Team(s):

Post #42 of 57 (1985 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Let's try to narrow the bugger's age down then - born after 1 Jan 1970 ?

Can you believe I've cocked his age up? He was actually born in 1959! Sorry fellas Blush

buncranaboy

Dec 8, 2009, 1:20 PM

Post #43 of 57 (1975 views)
Shortcut

Does that entitle me to a replacement question then ?

If so Q : Did the brief international career involve the Netherlands ?

G : Takes an even longer punt than Jamesie last time.......................Romeo Zondervan

mip

Dec 8, 2009, 1:21 PM

Post #44 of 57 (1973 views)
Shortcut

Better ask in English this time: Romeo Zondervan.

EDIT: No... beaten at the post by Paddy!

(This post was edited by mip on Dec 8, 2009, 1:23 PM)

chris41

Dec 8, 2009, 3:44 PM

Post #45 of 57 (1953 views)
Shortcut
     Re: [Monsieur Pascal] Twenty Questions #215 [In reply to]   or Reply Privately

In Reply To

Some useful points made by Monsieur Pascal concerning the geography of Europe but I would take issue on some of the points looking at definitions in wiki. I just wanted to add my view.

1) Mediterranean coastline should include the Adriatic Sea
2) Scandinavia should be only Denmark, Sweden, Norway and Finland
3) Definition of Coastlines should include countries with inland seas e.g. (Rumania,Bulgaria,Azerbaijan)
4) UK should be England,Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland (not include Channel Islands or Isle of Man)
5) Great Britain should Be England,Scotland and Wales (not include Channel islands or Isle of Man)

6) Mainland Europe should include All countries of Europe, except for those that are solely islands e.g (Great Britain,Ireland,Iceland,Malta,Cyprus) or islands that are the territories of Mainland European countries e.g(Sicily,Majorca,Crete)

7) Holland should be referred to as The Netherlands. That could pose a problem when narrowing down the search by letter on questions asked if some people refer to it is Holland and others refer to it as The Netherlands.

8) A European person should be anyone born on the continent of Europe. (my personal view as I cannot find a wiki definition)

I do not know what others think but if people choose a European subject for their 20Q, there should be some clarity to put in the rules at the top of the thread particularly what the geography of Europe is.

Apologies but I do not have a guess lined up so far for today, as I expect the correct answer to this 20q has already been given.

(This post was edited by chris41 on Dec 8, 2009, 3:49 PM)

buncranaboy

Dec 8, 2009, 4:26 PM

Post #46 of 57 (1941 views)
Shortcut
     Re: [chris41] Twenty Questions #215 [In reply to]   or Reply Privately

I agree with most of that Chris. I can't see how being from Estonia, Latvia or Lithuania doesn't make a person a European. What are they if not - Asian ?
Holland/Netherlands mean the same thing to me and I suspect to most (rational) people.
The Adriatic is a named inlet of the Med and I would class it as such. Why treat it differently to the Tyrrhenian, Ligurian or any other sea which is part of the Med?

Meanwhile we wait for Jamesie to finish his afternoon nap. Comes to us all, y'know.

mip

Dec 8, 2009, 4:48 PM

Post #47 of 57 (1938 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Holland/Netherlands mean the same thing to me and I suspect to most (rational) people.

I'll be pleased to refer this to my slightly choleric Dutch colleague Wink. Before I can make my escape, I'll have been told that Holland refers exclusively to the provinces of Noord Holland and Zuid Holland, something that every civilized person in the World ought to know! These provinces were the leading provinces in The Netherlands and hence to the rest of the World, Holland and The Netherlands became synonymous.

Also agree with Chris on definitions etc. except that in Denmark few people will include Finland in Scandinavia.

Waiting to be condemned to defeat, can I just say what a splendid guess I think you made, Paddy Wink.

chris41

Dec 8, 2009, 7:11 PM

Post #48 of 57 (1924 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
I agree with most of that Chris. I can't see how being from Estonia, Latvia or Lithuania doesn't make a person a European. What are they if not - Asian ?
The Adriatic is a named inlet of the Med and I would class it as such. Why treat it differently to the Tyrrhenian, Ligurian or any other sea which is part of the Med?

Meanwhile we wait for Jamesie to finish his afternoon nap. Comes to us all, y'know.

I think that you may have misread part of my post Paddy, as I do regard being from Estonia,Latvia,and Lithuania as being european as with all the other ex soviet republics that are members of Uefa (with exception perhaps of Kazakhstan which wiki refers to as being in asia and europe). I do agree with you regarding the Adriatic thing but according to Wiki, countries with a coastline on the Adriatic sea are also considered to have a Meditteranean coastline.

(This post was edited by chris41 on Dec 8, 2009, 7:19 PM)

Jamesie
Deleted

Dec 8, 2009, 10:55 PM

Team(s):

Post #49 of 57 (1901 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

You cheeky tw*t Mooney! Mad I've been working. And before anyone says... IT IS DECEMBER!!!

Jamesie
Deleted

Dec 8, 2009, 11:06 PM

Team(s):

Post #50 of 57 (1896 views)
Shortcut
     Re: [chris41] Twenty Questions #215 [In reply to]   or

In Reply To
Some useful points made by Monsieur Pascal concerning the geography of Europe but I would take issue on some of the points looking at definitions in wiki. I just wanted to add my view.

1) Mediterranean coastline should include the Adriatic Sea
2) Scandinavia should be only Denmark, Sweden, Norway and Finland
3) Definition of Coastlines should include countries with inland seas e.g. (Rumania,Bulgaria,Azerbaijan)
4) UK should be England,Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland (not include Channel Islands or Isle of Man)
5) Great Britain should Be England,Scotland and Wales (not include Channel islands or Isle of Man)

6) Mainland Europe should include All countries of Europe, except for those that are solely islands e.g (Great Britain,Ireland,Iceland,Malta,Cyprus) or islands that are the territories of Mainland European countries e.g(Sicily,Majorca,Crete)

7) Holland should be referred to as The Netherlands. That could pose a problem when narrowing down the search by letter on questions asked if some people refer to it is Holland and others refer to it as The Netherlands.

8) A European person should be anyone born on the continent of Europe. (my personal view as I cannot find a wiki definition)

I do not know what others think but if people choose a European subject for their 20Q, there should be some clarity to put in the rules at the top of the thread particularly what the geography of Europe is.

Apologies but I do not have a guess lined up so far for today, as I expect the correct answer to this 20q has already been given.

1) I agree
2) Also agree - I reckon Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania should be refered to as Baltic States
3) Not sure about that...
4) Yes
5) Yes... and the British Isles to include all the others including Sark and ROI?
6) Bang on
7) Yes, it does clear up a little thing regard Nederland, some Dutch do refer to it as "Holland" but others I know consider "Holland" a region Crazy
8) Not too sure on that, is Edgar Davids European?

If you want Chris, cut and paste this into the sticky at the top.

The last part is right. It has.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3