Pros and cons of issuing

fenlad
Junior Team Star

Nov 19, 2009, 7:36 AM

Team(s):

Post #1 of 12 (2061 views)
Shortcut
Pros and cons of issuing Can't Post or Reply Privately

Would be interested to gain info on the benefits of step 7/8 clubs issuing.I know there are hundreds that do but does it benefit the club concerned ?

Seagull
First Team Star

Nov 19, 2009, 12:40 PM

Post #2 of 12 (2026 views)
Shortcut
Re: [fenlad] Pros and cons of issuing [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

If they raise a decent sum through advertising revenue then surely it's well sorth them issuing, regardless of how many are actually sold.

When I did the Lytham St Annes FC programme (West Lancs 1/2) in the mid-late 90's, the club used to raise, through ads and sales, around 1000 per season. That was with average home gates of around 30. The outlay to produce it was less than 200, leaving around 800 clear profit. Not to be sniffed at 10 years or more back.

Of course, if it's costing more to produce than it generates, then the answer is no Tongue

acmold
Man City Transfer Target!

Nov 19, 2009, 1:36 PM

Post #3 of 12 (2011 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Seagull] Pros and cons of issuing [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To
If they raise a decent sum through advertising revenue then surely it's well sorth them issuing, regardless of how many are actually sold.

When I did the Lytham St Annes FC programme (West Lancs 1/2) in the mid-late 90's, the club used to raise, through ads and sales, around 1000 per season. That was with average home gates of around 30. The outlay to produce it was less than 200, leaving around 800 clear profit. Not to be sniffed at 10 years or more back.

Of course, if it's costing more to produce than it generates, then the answer is no Tongue

As Seagull says a few years ago you could make a profit (and promote your club at the same time) with a programme at lower levels. We all like to see a programme and it would attract a number of travellers along to games. But and its a very big but, do your costings first. A prog ten years ago would sell for a 1, a programme at step 7 or 8 will still sell for a 1 or maybe 2 to travellers, but will locals pay 2 each week these days. Will you be able to attrach any advertisers these days, many of the adverts from a few years ago would be from Pubs and Local shops, the two industrys that have been hard hit of late. In some parts of the country the cost of printing has gone up three or four fold in recent years so you may well face a loss if you dont sell a reasonable amount of programmes and adverts. You could look and produce it in house, which would be cheaper than printing (if you use cheap ink refils) but it will become very time consuming.

TonyD
Reserve Team Regular

Nov 19, 2009, 2:50 PM

Team(s): Sutton United, Crystal Palace

Post #4 of 12 (1999 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] Pros and cons of issuing [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I would have thought that step 7/8 clubs attract very few supporters, I would suggest that most of the "crowd" present at these games are attached to the club in some way - players, ex-players, WAGS etc. Buying a programme is often seen as a small way of supporting the club.

Valley Blue
Youth Team Star

Nov 19, 2009, 4:48 PM

Team(s):

Post #5 of 12 (1982 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TonyD] Pros and cons of issuing [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The cost to produce an average programme in house is not very much, as long as you cut down on the colour! lol
As long as you have got the advertisers to go in the programme which is vital! Local sponsors will look at a programme as the best way to promote themselves that the club can offer, but still its hard work to get money out of these companies! lol

At Gwent county level we produce around 15 programmes for league games and this season have been selling out, this weekend for our FAW Welsh trophy 4th round fixture we are planning on producing around 30! Its a bit boring folding and stapling but between a few of you its not too bad! The biggest problem we have is getting someone out there and basically walking the ground asking people to buy a copy!

Valley Blue

acmold

Nov 20, 2009, 10:52 AM

Post #6 of 12 (1907 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Valley Blue] Pros and cons of issuing [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To
The cost to produce an average programme in house is not very much, as long as you cut down on the colour! lol
As long as you have got the advertisers to go in the programme which is vital! Local sponsors will look at a programme as the best way to promote themselves that the club can offer, but still its hard work to get money out of these companies! lol

At Gwent county level we produce around 15 programmes for league games and this season have been selling out, this weekend for our FAW Welsh trophy 4th round fixture we are planning on producing around 30! Its a bit boring folding and stapling but between a few of you its not too bad! The biggest problem we have is getting someone out there and basically walking the ground asking people to buy a copy!

Rule one, never do a all colour programme and use bona-fida HP refills. A print run of 10 or 15 progs will cost you an arm and a leg.

Stapling, colating and folding, at one club I used to have to do 300 programmes by myself, it took all of Friday evening.

chrisb
Reserve Team Regular

Nov 20, 2009, 1:59 PM

Team(s):

Post #7 of 12 (1869 views)
Shortcut
Re: [fenlad] Pros and cons of issuing [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I agree with acmold about colour. Don't go for a full-colour injet-printed programme as you'll be forever nipping out for more ink cartridges.

I edit, print, fold and staple the bi-monthly magzine of Walton Chasers Orienteering Club (100 copies of 20 pages each) and now just have colour (i.e. a photo) on the front and the remainder of the 19 pages in black.

As for programmes, I have edited for a couple of clubs.

Stafford Rangers used a professional printer who charged, I think, around 1, per copy in a run of 250 progs.

With Stafford Stripes, I used to edit, print, fold and staple about 20-30 copies which took most of Friday evening to complete - worth it though as they got them for nothing and sold them for 1. It provided useful income as well as means to promote the club's sponsors with adverts.

Content shouldn't be a problem if the relevant league's website is kept up to date.

Owner/editor of The Football Traveller, a weekly magazine containing fixtures and much more - download a 2018/19 subscription form from our website...http://www.thefootballtraveller.com

robhornby
First Team Star

Nov 20, 2009, 2:18 PM

Team(s): Non League Football

Post #8 of 12 (1865 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chrisb] Pros and cons of issuing [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

As a ex- Programme Editor for 2 clubs that wasnt in the pyramid at the time and also 2 that was, firstly take the advice of above..sit down and think right what does a programme need in it..Line up's(1 page), club history(1 Page), visitors page, League Table and forthcoming fixtures(2 Pages), your results(1 page), adverts(gone are the days where you could get 100 a ad, so maybe go for quarter page ads at 30, tell them that if you play 20 home matches a season, its a 1 a programme), if you have a reserves team then perhaps a page about them.

A lad approached me at Bentley Colliery 3 seasons ago and we was talking aboyt sponsorship and how hard it was to get it..I asked him what peple asked when he went back to their social club and he replaied..how did we get on today? I replied you have customers who dont go to the matches there..sponsor a goal 20p and collect each month..people love to see their name in a programme..when at Dunkirk FC I used to get about 5 a goal, when I asked Bentley how he was getting on, he had a amazing 29 a goal and they scored over 60 goals that season..so work that out for a page in your programme!

To start the programme off, advertise it on here that you are doing the 1st programme and you may get orders, then for the game you know how many you get through your gate, so keep your programme at 1 and keep it away from admission prices. Then if you wish to be ambitous, you may have a few left over from games to swop a few programmes about and put them in a box and start up a little programme shop in your clubhouse or a table in your stand, with the money you raise, then ask your committee if you can have a club badge done..I did this at Ripley Town who used to get 20 people watching when I first went there, once people know you are doing a programme and may have a little shop, people turn up and they buy..though I was only with Ripley Town for a season I raised over 1.000

To visit my charity blog..please click on http://aroundthegrounds2017-18.blogspot.co.uk/

Mishi

Nov 25, 2009, 11:06 AM

Team(s): Dulwich Hamlet

Post #9 of 12 (1620 views)
Shortcut
Re: [robhornby] Pros and cons of issuing [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Whilst it's great to get a programme it ALWAYS annoys me when 'once in a lifetime just passing through for my tick' groundhoppers moan so vociferously when there is not one. It's takes a huge amount of work & 'blind love' to produce one for your club, for very little thanks!

I know I certainly wouldn't have the dedication or time to do it!

I also get annoyed when people complain that it was 'all adverts'. As has been mentioned adverts are the essential fundraiser for lots of clubs.

with regard to collating programmes...I know what you mean. It was labourious enough when I did an occasional Dulwich Hamlet for over a dozen years from the late eighties onwards.

Collating by hand? Believe it or not the Dulwich Hamlet programme editor is so set in his ways (he's been using his tried & tested formula since 1974!) that he, with his couple of helpers, collate, fold & staple our programme every Saturday morning before home games in the boardroom!
Which sounds like dedication on the one hand, but because he is so set in his ways & won't agree to getting it printed completely externally we lose potential advertising revenue as companies who supply state of the art full colour designed advertisments then don't buy in, as they don't want their companies associated with a black & white photocopied effort.

Grounds visited: 735
Last new ground: Biggleswade Town FC; Langford Road, Biggleswade, Bedfordshire. (Evo-Stik League South Premier Division Central)
Last game: Sunday 27th January 2019: Crystal Palace 0, Durham 2. [FA Women's Super League 2]
Matches watched this season: 115
2017/18-New English grounds: 12; & foreign: 2

rhodes
Deleted

Dec 4, 2009, 1:56 PM

Team(s):

Post #10 of 12 (1402 views)
Shortcut
Re: [fenlad] Pros and cons of issuing [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To
Would be interested to gain info on the benefits of step 7/8 clubs issuing.I know there are hundreds that do but does it benefit the club concerned ?

Southill Alexander issue but I believe they are the only Club in the entire Bedfordshire League to do so and the copies I have seen have been littered with schoolboy errors such as the wrong captions under photographs and the cover, although in colour and glossy, is just single sided

acmold

Dec 4, 2009, 1:59 PM

Post #11 of 12 (1400 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rhodes] Pros and cons of issuing [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To

In Reply To

Southill Alexander issue but I believe they are the only Club in the entire Bedfordshire League to do so and the copies I have seen have been littered with schoolboy errors such as the wrong captions under photographs and the cover, although in colour and glossy, is just single sided

AFC Kempston Town issue a very nice programme in the Bedfordshire League this season, last season Dunton issued and the year before Renhold did, not sure if both are this season. Also Elstow, Flitwick and a number of others have issued in recent seasons.

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Dec 4, 2009, 2:05 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #12 of 12 (1397 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rhodes] Pros and cons of issuing [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Not sure you're the most independent of arbiters to carry out their programme review, eh ? Awaiting condemnation of Sport London E Benfica's issue in due course as they seem to be on your mind a lot these days. Unless they include the Hector Varela Ripping Yarns column, of course.

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3