Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

THIS FORUM IS NOW READ ONLY - PLEASE HEAD OVER TO THE NEW FORUM HERE (CLICK LINK) TO REGISTER A NEW ACCOUNT - THANKS

Home: Games: Brain Teasers:
What connects these Footballing Nations

Paulo
Junior Team Regular

Oct 23, 2009, 11:32 PM

Post #1 of 17 (19831 views)
Shortcut
What connects these Footballing Nations Can't Post or Reply Privately

What connects these European Footballing Nations ?

Faeroe Islands, Czech Republic, Serbia, Slovenia, Montenegro, Armenia, Latvia, Lithuania, Bosnia Herzegovina and Iceland

Jamesie
Deleted

Oct 24, 2009, 12:44 AM

Team(s):

Post #2 of 17 (19821 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Paulo] What connects these Footballing Nations [In reply to] Can't Post or

Just guessing here, but did they all win their first competitive games? As I said guess... tired guess...

Just a note to anyone who is wondering, I am no longer a moderator of this forum due to current personal circumstances and work commitments. If you need help, contact leohoenig or Steve walker. Thank You.

blackdouglas
Chelsea Transfer Target

Oct 24, 2009, 1:25 AM

Team(s): See signature for clubs

Post #3 of 17 (19818 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Paulo] What connects these Footballing Nations [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Without Iceland I would've been tempted to say they all played their 1st game (competitive or not) in the same year. The inclusion of Iceland complicates the issue rather so I'll open up with a stab at they started their international histories against the same opposition.

Northwood, Threave Rovers, Arsenal, Rangers (the real ones, NOT qpr),Watford, Rochdale, queen of the south and a few others.

northstandexile
First Team Star

Oct 24, 2009, 10:53 AM

Team(s): Mansfield Town

Post #4 of 17 (19785 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Paulo] What connects these Footballing Nations [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

Faeroe Islands, Czech Republic, Serbia, Slovenia, Montenegro, Armenia, Latvia, Lithuania, Bosnia Herzegovina and Iceland

They haven't played England?

Paulo
Junior Team Regular

Oct 24, 2009, 11:34 AM

Post #5 of 17 (19778 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Jamesie] What connects these Footballing Nations [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Just guessing here, but did they all win their first competitive games? As I said guess... tired guess...

Probably did, but not the answer I am looking for.It is perhaps a more obvious connection

Paulo
Junior Team Regular

Oct 24, 2009, 11:36 AM

Post #6 of 17 (19777 views)
Shortcut
Re: [blackdouglas] What connects these Footballing Nations [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Without Iceland I would've been tempted to say they all played their 1st game (competitive or not) in the same year. The inclusion of Iceland complicates the issue rather so I'll open up with a stab at they started their international histories against the same opposition.

No it not this .

Paulo
Junior Team Regular

Oct 24, 2009, 11:41 AM

Post #7 of 17 (19776 views)
Shortcut
Re: [northstandexile] What connects these Footballing Nations [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

This is not the answer I am looking for but you are not a million miles away.England have played international matches against some of these countries. However think very carefully along the lines of your answer as you are not to far away.

Mek
First Team Star

Oct 24, 2009, 12:05 PM

Team(s):

Post #8 of 17 (19772 views)
Shortcut

They've not been with England in a World Cup or Euro Qualification Group ?

Paulo
Junior Team Regular

Oct 24, 2009, 9:06 PM

Post #9 of 17 (19729 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mek] What connects these Footballing Nations [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

This is very close to the correct answer, but not exactly what I am looking for. If I interpret your answer as you have typed it, then to make your answer correct I would have needed to add other European footballing nations to my initial list .

I am just looking for another similar interpretation of your answer and a little bit more to be added on to make your answer correct to the initial question of "What connects these European Football Nations ?"

I will not prolong this much longer and will reveal the answer by Monday if no-one has got the exact answer to what I am looking for, but it should now be much easier.

(This post was edited by Paulo on Oct 24, 2009, 9:16 PM)

DavetheGlassboy
Chelsea Transfer Target

Oct 24, 2009, 9:19 PM

Team(s): Stourbridge FC, Warrington RLFC, Stourport HC

Post #10 of 17 (19722 views)
Shortcut
Re: [northstandexile] What connects these Footballing Nations [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

England played Slovenia last month.

And they had a friendly against the Czechs a couple of years ago.

Last new ground (848): Giant Axe - Lancaster v Stourbridge 23/11/19
Last game: as above
Football seen in: England, Wales, Scotland, Italy, France, Germany, Denmark, Netherlands, Spain, Austria, Croatia, Jersey, Sweden, Switzerland, Republic of Ireland, United States of America, Ukraine, Montenegro, Estonia, San Marino, Slovenia, Northern Ireland, Malta, Lithuania, Russia, Belgium, Portugal, Czech Republic, Bulgaria

DavetheGlassboy
Chelsea Transfer Target

Oct 24, 2009, 9:20 PM

Team(s): Stourbridge FC, Warrington RLFC, Stourport HC

Post #11 of 17 (19721 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

This is very close to the correct answer, but not exactly what I am looking for. If I interpret your answer as you have typed it, then to make your answer correct I would have needed to add other European footballing nations to my initial list .

I am just looking for another similar interpretation of your answer and a little bit more to be added on to make your answer correct to the initial question of "What connects these European Football Nations ?"

I will not prolong this much longer and will reveal the answer by Monday if no-one has got the exact answer to what I am looking for, but it should now be much easier.

It's not a particular line of lattitude or something like that is it?

Last new ground (848): Giant Axe - Lancaster v Stourbridge 23/11/19
Last game: as above
Football seen in: England, Wales, Scotland, Italy, France, Germany, Denmark, Netherlands, Spain, Austria, Croatia, Jersey, Sweden, Switzerland, Republic of Ireland, United States of America, Ukraine, Montenegro, Estonia, San Marino, Slovenia, Northern Ireland, Malta, Lithuania, Russia, Belgium, Portugal, Czech Republic, Bulgaria

Paulo
Junior Team Regular

Oct 24, 2009, 9:42 PM

Post #12 of 17 (19717 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DavetheGlassboy] What connects these Footballing Nations [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

It's not a particular line of lattitude or something like that is it?

No nothing to do with that !!

Mek
First Team Star

Oct 24, 2009, 10:56 PM

Team(s):

Post #13 of 17 (19705 views)
Shortcut

Are we looking along the lines of after a certain date ? (eg after the pulling down of the Berlin Wall in 1989)

SeanM
Youth Team Star

Oct 24, 2009, 11:03 PM

Team(s): Manchester United (since before Beckham and Buffy!)

Post #14 of 17 (19701 views)
Shortcut

None of the nations mentioned have taken points in a competitive match against England ?

“And the sea will grant each man new hope . . . as sleep brings dreams of home.”
-- Christopher Columbus

"Welcome to the New World"
-- Jack Ryan

Paulo
Junior Team Regular

Oct 24, 2009, 11:22 PM

Post #15 of 17 (19694 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mek] What connects these Footballing Nations [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Are we looking along the lines of after a certain date ? (eg after the pulling down of the Berlin Wall in 1989)

No not really anything to do with dates, you were very close with your last answer so just think of another fact that links the initial list of countries ?

Paulo
Junior Team Regular

Oct 24, 2009, 11:40 PM

Post #16 of 17 (19687 views)
Shortcut
Re: [SeanM] What connects these Footballing Nations [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
None of the nations mentioned have taken points in a competitive match against England ?

Again this is so very close to the correct answer and not what I am exactly looking for.The problem with doing a connections question is that Someone will always come up with an alternative answer to perhaps the more obvious answer that you already have. If your answer was correct I would have added further european football countries to my initial list like Albania and Cyprus for example.

I am ready to wrap this up, so just give it a bit more deeper thought with your answer by translating it with a similar fact that connects all of those european football nations ?

Paulo
Junior Team Regular

Oct 26, 2009, 8:26 AM

Post #17 of 17 (19578 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

The answer that I was looking for was that they are the only countries that are current uefa members who have not played England in a competitive match. Competitive being euro/world cup qualifier or final stages of a euro or world cup tournament or perhaps any other competitive tournament.
They have played friendly internationals against Czech republic, Slovenia and Iceland.

Both Mek and SeanM were very close and did give similar connections but not what I was looking for from the complete list of clubs.mek stated that they had not been drawn with England in a euro/world cup qualifying group but from research neither have France,Spain and Belgium only in the final stages of the tournament.
Sean M stated that none of the countries had taken any points in a competitive match against England when many others have not done also, when a simpler answer would have been that none of the sides have ever played a competitive match against England.

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3