Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: Non-League Football Discussion: Restructuring Discussion:
A trivia question... related to over/under representation in different parts of the country

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Andrelux
First Team Regular

Sep 28, 2009, 3:21 PM

Team(s): Brentford (for my sins - obviously done something really bad in a past life

Post #1 of 49 (5142 views)
Shortcut
A trivia question... related to over/under representation in different parts of the country Can't Post or Reply Privately

... yes I know there's another thread for trivia, but this is related to the restructuring bit, so I'll put it here for the moment, until someone moves it.

As a basis for creating more questions than it provides answers, I've been trying to put together a table by 2007 local authority in England (e.g. Cornwall not yet a unitary authority) based on FA data from April 2008. I'm not there yet, but here's a trivia question it's thrown up along the way. The answer certainly surprised me.

a) Which English local authority has the highest ratio of adult male 11 a side teams, by population? (what I mean is, most teams considering the population).

and a subsidiary question:

b) What factor accounts for/skews the information? (and it's not that the data is wrong).

(This post was edited by Andrelux on Sep 28, 2009, 3:23 PM)

vienna1964
Deleted

Sep 28, 2009, 4:12 PM

Team(s):

Post #2 of 49 (5117 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Andrelux] A trivia question... related to over/under representation in different parts of the country [In reply to] Can't Post or

[a]. Bristol ?

(b). Inbreeding ?

Tongue

I APOLOGISE UNRESERVEDLY TO EACH AND EVERY PERSON ON THIS FORUM WHO HAS FELT LET-DOWN BY MY INIMICABLE AND DEPLORABLE BEHAVIOUR OF OCTOBER 28th. 2009. ESPECIALLY TO BRIAN, WHO IS A MARVELLOUS GENTLEMAN AND IS THE LAST PERSON HERE WHO SHOULD HAVE TO PUT UP WITH SUCH UNDESERVED PERSONAL CHARACTER-ASSASSINATION. LET IT BE KNOWN THAT A PRIVATE PERSONAL APOLOGY WAS SENT, BUT WAS SEEN INSUFFICIENT. FAIR ENOUGH.

(This post was edited by vienna1964 on Sep 28, 2009, 4:13 PM)

cope1
Man City Transfer Target!

Sep 28, 2009, 4:15 PM

Post #3 of 49 (5112 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Andrelux] A trivia question... related to over/under representation in different parts of the country [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Good question. If I've read you right, you mean you are working on it and will produce some data? Do you want help with any of it - I'm happy to chip in with analysis or data collection.

MadMick
First Team Star

Sep 28, 2009, 4:15 PM

Team(s): The Creeksiders and The Seasiders

Post #4 of 49 (5110 views)
Shortcut
Re: [vienna1964] A trivia question... related to over/under representation in different parts of the country [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I would say Hackney

coz of the marshes

Andrelux
First Team Regular

Sep 28, 2009, 4:18 PM

Team(s): Brentford (for my sins - obviously done something really bad in a past life

Post #5 of 49 (5107 views)
Shortcut
Re: [vienna1964] A trivia question... related to over/under representation in different parts of the country [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
[a]. Bristol ?

(b). Inbreeding ?

Tongue

No, but it is below the Severn/Wash boundary.

Andrelux
First Team Regular

Sep 28, 2009, 4:27 PM

Post #6 of 49 (5101 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MadMick] A trivia question... related to over/under representation in different parts of the country [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I would say Hackney

coz of the marshes

No, not in London.

This is great. It's like having been a past winner of 20 questions (which will never happen...).

However, since it isn't twenty questions, I can give clues... and I don't want this to go on for days, so reflect on the fact that as these are FA figures, they include ALL male adult 11-a-side teams , belonging to clubs affiliated to ALL County FAs. (Incidentally, although this doesn't affect the answer, the FA lists U-18 sides as adult teams in these figures).

vienna1964
Deleted

Sep 28, 2009, 4:33 PM

Team(s):

Post #7 of 49 (5097 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Andrelux] A trivia question... related to over/under representation in different parts of the country [In reply to] Can't Post or

Reckon might be to do with which Authority plays host to the most AFA teams ?

I APOLOGISE UNRESERVEDLY TO EACH AND EVERY PERSON ON THIS FORUM WHO HAS FELT LET-DOWN BY MY INIMICABLE AND DEPLORABLE BEHAVIOUR OF OCTOBER 28th. 2009. ESPECIALLY TO BRIAN, WHO IS A MARVELLOUS GENTLEMAN AND IS THE LAST PERSON HERE WHO SHOULD HAVE TO PUT UP WITH SUCH UNDESERVED PERSONAL CHARACTER-ASSASSINATION. LET IT BE KNOWN THAT A PRIVATE PERSONAL APOLOGY WAS SENT, BUT WAS SEEN INSUFFICIENT. FAIR ENOUGH.

cope1

Sep 28, 2009, 4:52 PM

Post #8 of 49 (5093 views)
Shortcut

Redbridge or Enfield possibly, or maybe Ealing with Gunnersbury?

cope1

Sep 28, 2009, 4:53 PM

Post #9 of 49 (5092 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cope1] A trivia question... related to over/under representation in different parts of the country [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

or Westminster - as it surprised you and I can't think of anywhere else I'd expect not to have many teams.

VP

Sep 28, 2009, 5:54 PM

Post #10 of 49 (5077 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Andrelux] A trivia question... related to over/under representation in different parts of the country [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

A couple of years ago Tony K. did a piece showing the amount of teams at steps 1-6 in each postcode area. The GU area had the highest.
With that in mind, is Woking the answer to A?

(This post was edited by VP on Sep 28, 2009, 5:57 PM)

Andrelux
First Team Regular

Sep 28, 2009, 5:59 PM

Post #11 of 49 (5072 views)
Shortcut
Re: [VP] A trivia question... related to over/under representation in different parts of the country [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

This is not just step 1 to 6, but ALL teams. You need to think out of the box (God! do you need to think out of the box), but thinking "AFA" is not necessarily the right answer - although at least you've broken the barrier of thinking that county FAs relate solely to geographic areas.

My God, that's a BIG clue, but as I said, this isn't 20 questions and we don't wish to go on for days.

acmold

Sep 28, 2009, 6:00 PM

Post #12 of 49 (5070 views)
Shortcut

West Oxfordshire

VP

Sep 28, 2009, 6:03 PM

Post #13 of 49 (5066 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
This is not just step 1 to 6, but ALL teams. You need to think out of the box (God! do you need to think out of the box), but thinking "AFA" is not necessarily the right answer - although at least you've broken the barrier of thinking that county FAs relate solely to geographic areas.

My God, that's a BIG clue, but as I said, this isn't 20 questions and we don't wish to go on for days.

Rushmoor? (Army FA)

Andrelux
First Team Regular

Sep 28, 2009, 6:09 PM

Post #14 of 49 (5054 views)
Shortcut
Re: [VP] A trivia question... related to over/under representation in different parts of the country [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Rushmoor? (Army FA)

Not Rushmoor, but you're along the right kind of lines (by the way since this isn't 20 questions, you're allowed more that one answer a day).

Andrelux
First Team Regular

Sep 28, 2009, 6:13 PM

Post #15 of 49 (5049 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] A trivia question... related to over/under representation in different parts of the country [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
West Oxfordshire

Nor is it West Oxfordshire, but you're thinking the right kind of way too...

Andrelux
First Team Regular

Sep 28, 2009, 6:14 PM

Post #16 of 49 (5046 views)
Shortcut

I'm not being 20 questionish, so therefore another clue - the British Services are involved, although the Army is not the only one...

cope1

Sep 28, 2009, 6:16 PM

Post #17 of 49 (5044 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
... yes I know there's another thread for trivia, but this is related to the restructuring bit, so I'll put it here for the moment, until someone moves it.

As a basis for creating more questions than it provides answers, I've been trying to put together a table by 2007 local authority in England (e.g. Cornwall not yet a unitary authority) based on FA data from April 2008. I'm not there yet, but here's a trivia question it's thrown up along the way. The answer certainly surprised me.

a) Which English local authority has the highest ratio of adult male 11 a side teams, by population? (what I mean is, most teams considering the population).

and a subsidiary question:

b) What factor accounts for/skews the information? (and it's not that the data is wrong).

Can I ask how you define 'has' in (a)? So, is it which local authority has the most teams' home pitches (given that a lot of smaller clubs are connecting to organisations which are in a different location to the ground).

Andrelux
First Team Regular

Sep 28, 2009, 7:04 PM

Post #18 of 49 (5017 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cope1] A trivia question... related to over/under representation in different parts of the country [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The definitlion (not mine, just that from the data I've collected it from) is "teams who are recorded as having their main playing base in the Authority". It does mean that, generally and as far as I can tell, it places a club which has three teams, two of which play in one of several local authorities - as one lot of two, and one lot of one. Whether this is totally accurate is a matter for argument, however in the absence of any other data, it's the most accurate we have.It's certainly the most accurately presented.

So in answer to your question, it does seemingly differentiate between Arsenal and Arsenal reserves playing their home matches in different authorities. And the same for further on down the chain. But not for Wimbledon playing in Kingston, for example. They are recorded as Kingston, not Merton.

Finally, the information isn't perfect (partly the cause of this question), but is the best I've been able to find so far.

Three Sides
Reserve Team Star

Sep 28, 2009, 8:14 PM

Team(s): Stourbridge

Post #19 of 49 (4988 views)
Shortcut

I will have my Guess as Swindon

Saturday & Sunday leagues, 100ish teams, relatively low population density. Close to Wootton Bassett

Andrelux
First Team Regular

Sep 28, 2009, 8:40 PM

Post #20 of 49 (4979 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Three Sides] A trivia question... related to over/under representation in different parts of the country [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I will have my Guess as Swindon

Saturday & Sunday leagues, 100ish teams, relatively low population density. Close to Wootton Bassett

Not the worst guess in the world, but actually a fairly middling contender. Pretty close to the mark as well on the teams front - my figures say 120 teams - but 180k odd people (surprising how many people there are in Wiltshire, isn't it?) leaves it on the upper side of average, but no better I'm afraid.

I am looking for somewhere which has a connection with the services though.

Andrelux
First Team Regular

Sep 28, 2009, 8:46 PM

Post #21 of 49 (4976 views)
Shortcut

Just to remind you, the definition is "teams which have their main playing base in the local authority". So it doesn't mean that's where the players live, just where the teams are registered. And the answer to part (b) of my question might have something to do with the services.

UKPunk

Sep 28, 2009, 9:19 PM

Post #22 of 49 (4963 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
(b). Inbreeding ?
Tongue

Did someone mention Harwich? Tongue

1-0-1-0-4-25-40-65-181-289=606

Last game: Mon 20/8/18
4. Basford United 1 Hednesford Town 2

UKPunk

Sep 28, 2009, 9:21 PM

Post #23 of 49 (4962 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MadMick] A trivia question... related to over/under representation in different parts of the country [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I would say Hackney

coz of the marshes

I would say Harwich

coz of the inbreeding. Sly

1-0-1-0-4-25-40-65-181-289=606

Last game: Mon 20/8/18
4. Basford United 1 Hednesford Town 2

Andrelux
First Team Regular

Sep 28, 2009, 9:36 PM

Post #24 of 49 (4956 views)
Shortcut
Re: [UKPunk] A trivia question... related to over/under representation in different parts of the country [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
I would say Hackney

coz of the marshes

I would say Harwich

No, not Harwich (or to be more precise, Tendring)... but since this isn't 20 questions, I'm happy to provide clues. The coastline bit could be worth exploring...

Richard Rundle

Sep 28, 2009, 10:24 PM

Post #25 of 49 (4942 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To
I would say Hackney

coz of the marshes

I would say Harwich

No, not Harwich (or to be more precise, Tendring)... but since this isn't 20 questions, I'm happy to provide clues. The coastline bit could be worth exploring...

My guesses would be either Southend-on-Sea, Stroud or Adur

--
Richard

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3