Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: Non-League Football Discussion: Restructuring Discussion:
The problem with the North/South debate

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Andrelux
First Team Regular

Sep 30, 2009, 2:56 PM

Team(s): Brentford (for my sins - obviously done something really bad in a past life

Post #51 of 62 (2223 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ad hoc] The problem with the North/South debate [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Perhaps another way of 'skinning the cat' would be to recreate at Step 3 - six 12-team divisions, instead of the current three of 22 ? That would certainly make promotion/relegation between such Steps far more 'sensible' than currently and otherwise might be - ensures six different regions have a promotion representative to Step 2 - and then promotion/relegation between this tier and Step 4 would also progress in a one-to-one fashion.

Moving from 42 league matches a season to 22 will clearly help everyone and purely in the name of ordered regionality and promotion representation, the fiscal disaster and competitive wasteland fallout would of course be so worthwhile. The season could start in November and still be all over by March. How lovely. Unless of course you mean that teams could play each other 4 times a season? Add the cups and that might make it 6 or 7 times a season. How thrilling that would be for everyone. Hmmmm.

Oh, but you haven't really thought it through. You can make it SO much more complicated than that. Interdivisional playoffs starting in February might be one of them, but there are so many other ways you can work it so no-one can figure out what the hell is going on.

ad hoc
Youth Team Sub

Sep 30, 2009, 3:20 PM

Post #52 of 62 (2217 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Andrelux] The problem with the North/South debate [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Sorry, inter-divisional play-offs have been rendered null and void by the original idea mongerers dersire for 6 regional promotion representatives. I prefer the idea of finishing in March, so I can spend so much more time looking forward to the start of a new season in November.

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Sep 30, 2009, 4:31 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #53 of 62 (2203 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ad hoc] The problem with the North/South debate [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Excellent idea ad hoc. That way we can spent 8 months agonising over restructuring instead of the plainly insufficient 3 months we currently have. Plus it would give me time to practise making my posts much much longer without actually adding anything of interest or relevance at all.

vienna1964
Deleted

Sep 30, 2009, 5:15 PM

Team(s):

Post #54 of 62 (2194 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] The problem with the North/South debate [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To
Excellent idea ad hoc. That way we can spent 8 months agonising over restructuring instead of the plainly insufficient 3 months we currently have. Plus it would give me time to practise making my posts much much longer without actually adding anything of interest or relevance at all.

What ? You need practice ? Tongue

I APOLOGISE UNRESERVEDLY TO EACH AND EVERY PERSON ON THIS FORUM WHO HAS FELT LET-DOWN BY MY INIMICABLE AND DEPLORABLE BEHAVIOUR OF OCTOBER 28th. 2009. ESPECIALLY TO BRIAN, WHO IS A MARVELLOUS GENTLEMAN AND IS THE LAST PERSON HERE WHO SHOULD HAVE TO PUT UP WITH SUCH UNDESERVED PERSONAL CHARACTER-ASSASSINATION. LET IT BE KNOWN THAT A PRIVATE PERSONAL APOLOGY WAS SENT, BUT WAS SEEN INSUFFICIENT. FAIR ENOUGH.

cope1
Man City Transfer Target!

Oct 1, 2009, 11:36 AM

Post #55 of 62 (2120 views)
Shortcut
Re: [vienna1964] The problem with the North/South debate [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Risking much wrath and sarcasm, I've been reading a history of Germany football recently. Prior to the Bundesliga the top level consisted of regional Oberligen with end of season play-offs to determine the national champion. I'm sure I'm not teaching anyone anything new here but I like the idea of having regional competitions with a final round to determine promotion. I know this is unlikely to be implemented but I'm allowed to flex my imagination now and again....

TUFCJON
Youth Team Sub

Oct 7, 2009, 11:48 PM

Post #56 of 62 (1780 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PaulC] The problem with the North/South debate [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
I continue to maintain that the North/South split in Football is actually pretty darned reasonable.

Would you argue that a 186/105 split in favour of Northern clubs at Step 5 was as reasonable as the current imbalance?

I don't think the imbalance at Step 5 really matters.

What does matter is the imbalance in clubs promoted from Step 5.

Two up from each of the four Northern-most Step 5 Leagues, one up from the other ten, three down from each Step 4. Sorted.

(Plan B - None up from the Northern League, two down from each of the NPL Step 4s.)

(This post was edited by TUFCJON on Oct 7, 2009, 11:49 PM)

oftenscore6
Chelsea Transfer Target

Oct 10, 2009, 10:45 AM

Team(s): FCUM, MUFC, Hammarby, St Pauli, Hawthorn (AFL)

Post #57 of 62 (1658 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MattRamLives] The problem with the North/South debate [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Maybe devolution is the answer - but living nr tibby services, I want to where I stand - in the crack? any road up - what about the midlands?
In reference to the earlier point about having a few token northerners in your southern teams I guess you mean a few lads from roundabouts NORTHampton - dunt really count

In London Lite yesterday, it said (referring to rugby but you get the point):
"Tomorrow's focus moves to Wales, where Northampton host Munster at Franklin Gardens". So Northampton isn't 'The North', it's WalesTongue

-----------------------------------------------
Last new football ground (938) Hollyhedge Park Wythenshawe Amateurs 2-5 Abbey Hey
With FC United: 133
On the agenda:
24/8 Knockbreda v Ards
26/8 Radcliffe v FC United
30/8 East Leeds rugby league

vienna1964
Deleted

Oct 10, 2009, 12:08 PM

Team(s):

Post #58 of 62 (1642 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oftenscore6] The problem with the North/South debate [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To
"Tomorrow's focus moves to Wales, where Northampton host Munster at Franklin Gardens". So Northampton isn't 'The North', it's WalesTongue

Everyone has a problem in understanding N/S/E/W when it comes to describing parts of the country (with possible exceptions being the 'far north' & the Cornish peninsula).

How about we stop using these references and adopt different ones, maybe using the seven old Kingdoms instead ?

Northumbria, Mercia, Kent, East Anglia, Wessex, Essex & Sussex.

I APOLOGISE UNRESERVEDLY TO EACH AND EVERY PERSON ON THIS FORUM WHO HAS FELT LET-DOWN BY MY INIMICABLE AND DEPLORABLE BEHAVIOUR OF OCTOBER 28th. 2009. ESPECIALLY TO BRIAN, WHO IS A MARVELLOUS GENTLEMAN AND IS THE LAST PERSON HERE WHO SHOULD HAVE TO PUT UP WITH SUCH UNDESERVED PERSONAL CHARACTER-ASSASSINATION. LET IT BE KNOWN THAT A PRIVATE PERSONAL APOLOGY WAS SENT, BUT WAS SEEN INSUFFICIENT. FAIR ENOUGH.

Grecian
Reserve Team Regular

Oct 10, 2009, 12:31 PM

Team(s): Exeter City, Bath City, Alphington, Tottenham Hotspur

Post #59 of 62 (1639 views)
Shortcut
Re: [vienna1964] The problem with the North/South debate [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Everyone has a problem in understanding N/S/E/W when it comes to describing parts of the country (with possible exceptions being the 'far north' & the Cornish peninsula).

How about we stop using these references and adopt different ones, maybe using the seven old Kingdoms instead ?

It all depends on your perspective... I remember moving from Exeter to Bath (dirty northerners Sly) yet meeting people who'd also moved to Bath but from London or the midlands, who thought they were entering the deepest darkest Westcountry "down south" (little did they know!). Similarly, an old colleague from Buckinghamshire used to consider Newbury 'the west' whereas it's always been well east of where I live.

vienna1964
Deleted

Oct 10, 2009, 12:36 PM

Team(s):

Post #60 of 62 (1636 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Grecian] The problem with the North/South debate [In reply to] Can't Post or

Indeed. I guess that's the subliminal interpretation of what I was trying to say.

Now that transport & communication is so easy, the concepts of N/S/E/W become fairly meaningless in a diddy-little area like our country !

acmold
Man City Transfer Target!

Oct 11, 2009, 9:26 AM

Post #61 of 62 (1570 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Grecian] The problem with the North/South debate [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

It all depends on your perspective... I remember moving from Exeter to Bath (dirty northerners Sly) yet meeting people who'd also moved to Bath but from London or the midlands, who thought they were entering the deepest darkest Westcountry "down south" (little did they know!). Similarly, an old colleague from Buckinghamshire used to consider Newbury 'the west' whereas it's always been well east of where I live.

I went to Chichester yesterday, and a couple of the locals told me Chichester was in the south, not the south east that starts at Brighton, the south west starts at Dorchester. The Midlands starts after the M4 and Berkshire. When they heard I was from Oxford one said that's a long way to come from all the way up there how do you find the south. Oxford to him (after I said I lived near to the car factory) was more or less a southern suburb of Birmingham, because you all used to make cars. It would appear to him Oxford, Birmingham and Coventry were all within 20 miles of each other near the M40. I did not ask where he thought the north started.

MattRamLives
First Team Sub

Oct 11, 2009, 2:14 PM

Team(s): Every Derbyshire team

Post #62 of 62 (1533 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

Exactly, almost V - it fails to mention the midlands - and that's sort of central to my argument

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3