Indian League 2009-10

leohoenig
Administrator

Sep 20, 2009, 1:30 PM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #1 of 1 (4111 views)
Shortcut
Indian League 2009-10 Can't Post or Reply Privately

The new season of the Indian League will start on 1 October.
It is a league for the words "there but for the grace of god goes I" suit, as I would love to spend a month in India, but the mix of free time and money does not allow it.

The 1st DIvision plays a 26 round, home and away series among its 14 teams, an increase on two teams from last season.
Mohammedan Sporting Club from Calcutta and Vasco Sports Club from Gao were relegated.

Promoted clubs are Salgaocar Sports Club, Viva Kerala, Pune and Shillong Lajong.
The result is that the city of Goa has four teams with Salgaocar join Churchill Brothers, Sporting Clube de Goa and Dempo

The Calcutta clubs are Mohan Bagan, East Bengal and Chirag United
And from Mumbai (Bombay), Mahindra United, Mumbai FC and Air India.

JCT Mills were the odd one out last season, being the only one not from the leading cities, but from Phagwara.

The other new clubs, Viva Kerala are from Cochin, Pune and Shillong are city names.

In most cities, there is a single ground which stages most games, but at least one other as an alternate when the main ground is unavailable.
In Goa, the ground is the Nehru Stadium; in Mumbai it is the Cooperage and in Calcutta, the Saltlake Stadium
In Phagwara, JCT play at the Guru Nanak Stadium; Viva Kerala use Cochin's Nehru Stadium and the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium in Shillong is the home ground of Shillong Lajong.
Pune's home ground is also given as Cooperage - I am not certain if this means there are Cooperage grounds in Pune, as well as Mumbai, as other checks seems to say they do play in Pune.

With the ground shares, matches are mixed through weekends.

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3