Home: Non-League Football Discussion: General Discussion:
Floodlight leagues/cups

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

London Harrier
First Team Star

Mar 25, 2019, 4:45 PM

Post #26 of 41 (1058 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sunny Nunny] Floodlight leagues/cups [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
My most bizzare memory of the competition was playing Bedworth in the final at Manor Park with Mohammed Ali as guest of honour . He was driven into the ground on the back of an open popemobile style vehicle , throwing tennis balls to the fans . It was surreal to say the least .
By the time the competition finished it was a shadow of it's former self , usually involving clubs like Boro putting out reserve strength teams against sides like Racing Warwick in front of very small crowds .

Brilliant!

Here is a link to the Ali story:

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/...-kelly-meets-3076253

London Harrier
First Team Star

Mar 25, 2019, 4:57 PM

Post #27 of 41 (1034 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sunny Nunny] Floodlight leagues/cups [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Perhaps an obvious questions, but I assume the Midland Floodlit Cup was an additional evening competition for clubs that had floodlights and fancied playing extra games?

Mr. T
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 25, 2019, 5:44 PM

Post #28 of 41 (994 views)
Shortcut
Re: [London Harrier] Floodlight leagues/cups [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

It was. Banbury played in it for two seasons (67-69), winning it the first time. There were 10 teams, playing H & A.

There were plenty of other competitions, some of which might have been in existence before floodlights became common. Banbury also played in:
Smith Memorial Cup – the only fixtures I know of were against Oxford City.
Camkin Cup – opponents included OC again, Rugby, Atherstone and Worcester, against whom a 1973 tie went to a replay and extra-time.
Hitchin Centenary Cup (66-70) – Hitchin, Hillingdon, Biggleswade, Baldock, St. Albans, Loughborough Colleges.
Central Counties Floodlit League (70-71)
Premier Midweek Floodlit League (mid-70s, largely Thames Valley)
Anglian Floodlit Cup (70-73) – Bedford, Corby, Wisbech, Gainsborough.

Sunny Nunny
Youth Team Star

Mar 25, 2019, 5:44 PM

Team(s): Nuneaton Borough

Post #29 of 41 (991 views)
Shortcut
Re: [London Harrier] Floodlight leagues/cups [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

From what i've been told by older fans than myself that's exactly why it was started . Most clubs only installed floodlights in the 60's and it was seen as a way of getting extra use out of the lights and recouping the cost of installation . Remember this was the time when players seemed to be able to play 70-80 games a season with no real problems .
I'm willing to bet Griffon knows a fair amount on this subject .

London Harrier
First Team Star

Mar 25, 2019, 5:52 PM

Post #30 of 41 (984 views)
Shortcut

A few interesting snippets here:

Firstly, it seems the 10 points for a win format was in place in the 1960s and throughout the 1970s

Coventry Evening Telegraph - Thursday 07 November 1968

“Cheltenham Town 1, Banbury 2 TWO second-half goals from Barry Kelcher were enough to give Banbury United 12 points in this Midland Floodlit Cup match at Cheltenham last night”.

Coventry Evening Telegraph - Tuesday 27 February 1979

“NUNEATON Borough take Tamworth at Manor Park tomorrow night, looking for a victory that will clinch a place in the Midland Floodlit Cup final. And, with 10 points for a win and a point for each goal, Borough look certain to win through.”

Below is an article outlining the three group format for the competition.

Coventry Evening Telegraph - Thursday 28 June 1973

“The only new club to be elected were Frickley Athletic. near Barnsley. who take over from Cheltenham Town. Cheltenham were fined £25 for resigning after the deadline date. They are to Join the Border Counties League. Frickley go into the Northern Section of the MFC along with Hednesford, Burton Albion and Alfreton. The Midland Section consists of Nuneaton Borough, Bedworth United, Atherstone Town and Tamworth. and the Southern Section comprises Bletchley. Corby Town. Kettering and Wellingborough. Section winners and the runners-up with the most points go into the semi-finals, and the final is on a two-leg basis.”

pitch 63
First Team Star

Mar 25, 2019, 6:11 PM

Post #31 of 41 (937 views)
Shortcut

I remember the Wessex Youth League in the 1960s. I think that it was an U18 floodlight league including some, if not all, of the Devon Football League clubs and also included Cardiff City and Swansea Town. About 1968 Bristol Rovers had a player that was also playing in Bristol's 1st XV at rugby at the weekends.

JimG
Youth Team Star

Mar 25, 2019, 6:40 PM

Team(s):

Post #32 of 41 (864 views)
Shortcut

I was in my early teens, following Lockheed Leamington, when this started and have many happy memories of the competition. I personally enjoyed it because at that time Lockheed were in the Midland League and all the big non-league teams around us were in the Southern League, so the MFC gave us a chance to play them.

As has been said, a lot of teams were getting flood lights and wanted more use out of them, also clubs were getting rid of reserve teams and this league gave a chance for all the players to get a game, pretty much every week.

I seem to remember about 10 teams in the league, my brother has all my programs from that era, I'll try and get him to have a look. One game I remember well was a 4 - 4 draw against Tamworth and getting 9 points for it - nearly a win! I'm pretty certain it was taken seriously early on.

AnnORack
Junior Team Regular

Mar 25, 2019, 6:40 PM

Post #33 of 41 (860 views)
Shortcut

Officiated at several Midland Floodlit Cup games in my time, including reffing a Bedworth v Nuneaton semi-final at the Oval, and the Moor Green v Nuneaton Final at The Hawthorns, West Brom. I was on the line for this game, and remember a large number of Nuneaton supporters invading the pitch and trying to get to the Ref at the end of the game. Yes, they lost, and they did have a fair amount of spectator issues in those days!
When I get a chance I'll have a look through my records/programmes to see if I can find any tables or extra information.

London Harrier
First Team Star

Mar 25, 2019, 6:42 PM

Post #34 of 41 (857 views)
Shortcut

It seems 10 points for a win came in for the 1968-69 season, having been proposed by then Nuneaton Borough manager Dudley Kernick.

Coventry Evening Telegraph - Saturday 21 September 1968

“NUNEATON BOROUGH fans have their first chance to see the new points system in the Midland Floodlit Cup when Worcester City visit Manor Park on Monday. The idea, put forward by Borough manager Dudley Kernick is that 10 points should be awarded for a win and a further point for every goal scored. The scheme has been used for the first time this season and Borough collected 15 points in their first match by winning 5-2 at Cheltenham. But there is little chance of the new points system spreading to League football. "That is exciting enough already." said Kernick. He said it was only likely to happen if defensive football became as bad as that played In Italy”

I wonder if the MFC had to get FA approval for this, or were allowed to implement rule changes at their own discretion?

(This post was edited by London Harrier on Mar 25, 2019, 6:47 PM)

GRIFFON
First Team Star

Mar 25, 2019, 6:54 PM

Team(s): Nuneaton Griff

Post #35 of 41 (829 views)
Shortcut

From what i've been told by older fans than myself that's exactly why it was started . Most clubs only installed floodlights in the 60's and it was seen as a way of getting extra use out of the lights and recouping the cost of installation . Remember this was the time when players seemed to be able to play 70-80 games a season with no real problems .
I'm willing to bet Griffon knows a fair amount on this subject .

The points system for the Midland Floodlit Cup was at the instigation of Boro's manager Dudley Kernick, now in his late 90s and back living in Nuneaton.
Boro' played in the competition from 1966 to 1970 and set a few records along the way. I was there on the Monday night when a crowd of 6,140 turned up at Manor Park in 1968 v Tamworth, the highest ever attendance in the competition. The longest run of games without defeat was twenty five, again by Boro' between April 1968 and November 1969.
In 1968-69 Boro' won the league with a points total of 217 (14 wins and 57 goals) which was a record for the competition.

The Final when Ali watched was an afternoon kick-off, he was driven round in an old yellow Rolls Royce but had kept the crowd waiting in the cold for over an hour before he arrived, I almost gave up as I was froze and was working nights at the time.
I went to a lot of the Boro' away games where crowds were quite small, it never seemed to attract the punters at such as Banbury or Leamington like it did in Nuneaton.

southend statto
First Team Star

Mar 25, 2019, 8:05 PM

Team(s): most of my local sides

Post #36 of 41 (762 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ladderman] Floodlight leagues/cups [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Basically, both the Eastern (Professional) Floodlight Competition and Essex Thames-side Challenge Trophy both fell by the wayside due to poor management by the competitions' committees.

DonQuixote
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 25, 2019, 8:15 PM

Team(s): Romford, Everton, @BrentwoodSunLge

Post #37 of 41 (742 views)
Shortcut
Re: [southend statto] Floodlight leagues/cups [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Yeah but the burning question is, who has got the Galleon [ETT]?

Worth a few bob so i was told.

FA Vase semi programme wanted: 2001 Taunton v Clitheroe.

London Harrier
First Team Star

Mar 26, 2019, 10:17 AM

Post #38 of 41 (477 views)
Shortcut
Re: [GRIFFON] Floodlight leagues/cups [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
In 1968-69 Boro' won the league with a points total of 217 (14 wins and 57 goals) which was a record for the competition.

Hi Griffon. I don’t suppose you have a copy of the final table for this season? It would be fascinating to see the points tallies.

GRIFFON
First Team Star

Mar 26, 2019, 12:01 PM

Team(s): Nuneaton Griff

Post #39 of 41 (393 views)
Shortcut

I have not got it to hand and it is not on Boro's Town To Town history site but I will try to get it even if I have to crawl up the attic and search my old programmes.
The teams who took part were Cheltenham Town, Burton Albion, Bromsgrove Rovers, Worcester City, Tamworth, Wellington Town, Lockheed Leamington, Banbury United, Rugby Town and Nuneaton Borough who won it with the following record - P18, W14, D4, L0, F57 A17, Pts217. (Ten for a win, five for a draw plus one for every goal).

Dudley Kernick outlined the proposal.

He said: “Floodlights are no longer a novelty

or an attraction in themselves. With ten points awarded to

the winners, plus a point a goal, there are several exciting

possibilities which will attract a public wanting to see

exhilarating games.

“No longer will we see teams play the unpopular defensive

game or ‘sit’ on a one-goal lead. The incentive is always there

to get more points.

“A side will not give up the ghost when a game appears to

be lost. For the prospect of gaining points for goals, even if

losing, will prove a vital issue.

London Harrier
First Team Star

Mar 26, 2019, 12:03 PM

Post #40 of 41 (385 views)
Shortcut
Re: [GRIFFON] Floodlight leagues/cups [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Excellent, Griffon.

Thanks as always for your helpful response.

leohoenig
Administrator

Mar 26, 2019, 12:56 PM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #41 of 41 (361 views)
Shortcut

Cheltenham's record was Pld 18, W 5 D 4 L 9 F 28 A 39 (if I have counted correctly).

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3