First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Mishi
Man City Transfer Target!

Sep 1, 2009, 9:00 PM

Team(s): Dulwich Hamlet

Post #1 of 41 (8023 views)
Shortcut
Floodlight leagues/cups Can't Post or Reply Privately

Someone has just asked me if any Floodlit Leagues exist? Or specific floodlit cups?

I know they were popular in the sixties & seventies, like the Premier Midweek Floodlight League. I think there was something north of the river & Essex, with 'Eastern' in the title too.

When did these sort of competitions stop, and what are the names of those that have disappeared?

Thanks, in anticipation!

Grounds visited: 735
Last new ground: Biggleswade Town FC; Langford Road, Biggleswade, Bedfordshire. (Evo-Stik League South Premier Division Central)
Last game: Sunday 27th January 2019: Crystal Palace 0, Durham 2. [FA Women's Super League 2]
Matches watched this season: 115
2017/18-New English grounds: 12; & foreign: 2

Dr Love
First Team Star

Sep 1, 2009, 10:09 PM

Team(s): Halifax Town

Post #2 of 41 (8002 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mishi] Floodlight leagues/cups [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The Hellenic League still have a floodlit cup.

A.G.Ricer
Reserve Team Regular

Sep 1, 2009, 10:12 PM

Post #3 of 41 (8001 views)
Shortcut

The Midland Floodlit Cup was a very strong competition in the 1960's and into the early 70's but fell apart a few seasons back. In its heyday gates of 2-3000 were not unusual. 20 extra games on top of the league programme was the norm.
The Birmingham County FA still run a Floodlit Cup.

cynic
Junior Team Sub

Sep 1, 2009, 10:35 PM

Post #4 of 41 (7989 views)
Shortcut

Mishi: I think the one you recall may be The Eastern Professional Floodlit Cup.
The Midland Floodlit Cup was an interesting one...at one time around 71/72 it trialled a system of ten points for a win, five for a draw and one point for every goal scored. The novelty never caught on though....but the crowds were pretty impressive. The competition helped fuel the rise of Stafford Rangers who regularly drew 2,500 plus.

UKPunk

Sep 1, 2009, 11:06 PM

Post #5 of 41 (7973 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cynic] Floodlight leagues/cups [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I remember watching a game (Collier Row 0 Canvey Island 0) around 1993 in a competition called something like the Eastern Floodlit Cup or Eastern Floodlit League. If memory serves the competition was played in midweek and was run a bit like the Champions League is now, with a group stage followed by a knock-out stage.

In fact, if there's anyone reading this who knows about the game above could you please let me know the date it took place?

Thanks Smile

1-0-1-0-4-25-40-65-181-289=606

Last game: Mon 20/8/18
4. Basford United 1 Hednesford Town 2

Darren Lovell
First Team Star

Sep 1, 2009, 11:45 PM

Team(s): Maidstone United

Post #6 of 41 (7964 views)
Shortcut
Re: [UKPunk] Floodlight leagues/cups [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The Kent League has a Floodlit League Competition. Fixtures can be found at http://www.kentleague.com/...tures/fixtures2.html

Grounds Visited 312
Last New Ground: Charlton Athletic
Last Game: Crystal Palace U23 2-2 Leeds United U23
FAPL 2 15.04.19
Games In Season 2018-19: 79
New Grounds This Season: 12
Goals This Season: 199
Ave goals per game: 2.52

SuperKev!
First Team Star

Sep 1, 2009, 11:58 PM

Post #7 of 41 (7956 views)
Shortcut

Broxbourne Borough V&E beat Hoddesdon Town 3-2 (aet) tonight in the South Midlands Floodlight Cup. There are two South Midlands Floodlight Cups - one for first teams and one for reserves. Many of the competition committee are also officers of the Spartan South Midlands League but it is run as a separate competition and not considered an SSML cup.

ladderman

Sep 2, 2009, 7:47 AM

Team(s): Bishop's Stortford & Cambridge United

Post #8 of 41 (7924 views)
Shortcut
Re: [UKPunk] Floodlight leagues/cups [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

UK Punk, it's called the Eastern Floodlight Competition. Not sure if it's still going, membership dwindled & clubs would enter it and never get around to playing the games (which considering some of them had reserve sides really was pretty poor). A better idea might have been to take entries at Christmas, and run it in the New Year. Teams who were doing well in other competitions could have sat out that way.

Further to Kev's answer about the South Midlands Floodlight Cup, Stansted and Saffron Walden are both regular entrants, and Sawbridgeworth have also entered it in recent years.

Felix
Reserve Team Star

Sep 2, 2009, 10:00 AM

Post #9 of 41 (7888 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ladderman] Floodlight leagues/cups [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Further to Kev's answer about the South Midlands Floodlight Cup, Stansted and Saffron Walden are both regular entrants, and Sawbridgeworth have also entered it in recent years.

This year, non SSML clubs in the senior competition are Potton Utd, Wormley Rovers, Biggleswade Town, Cheshunt and Stansted. Stotfold & Sawbridgeworth have only entered the Reserve section

cinque porter
Junior Team Regular

Sep 2, 2009, 4:46 PM

Post #10 of 41 (7790 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Someone has just asked me if any Floodlit Leagues exist? Or specific floodlit cups?

I know they were popular in the sixties & seventies, like the Premier Midweek Floodlight League. I think there was something north of the river & Essex, with 'Eastern' in the title too.

When did these sort of competitions stop, and what are the names of those that have disappeared?

Thanks, in anticipation!

The Eastern Floodlight trophy I believe had the word "Professional" in it's title. Hythe Town played in this competition for 3 seasons and went unbeaten for 2 1/2 years. There were 8 groups of 3/4 and the winners of each group qualified for the quarter finals which were single leg up to and inc. the final. We entered in 1989 for extra squad games, but as we were in a 3-team group inc Dover it was virtually a first team game most of the time. The first game we played was at Dover and the agg. attendance for the 2 matches was around 1900 people so it was fairly good for both clubs. I can even recall the ref for the Hythe leg--one John Moules.
I recall sponsorship dictated then that it be known as the Knight Floodlight Trophy. Most of the teams were from Essex and I can remember KO games v Harlow, Hadleigh ,Heybridge Swifts etc.
Our first final win was v Collier Row (AWAY) and the second was at home to Harlow.

Mad Bill
First Team Star

Sep 2, 2009, 5:19 PM

Team(s): Hyde United FC; Lancashire CCC; Buffalo Bills;

Post #11 of 41 (7778 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cynic] Floodlight leagues/cups [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
The Midland Floodlit Cup was an interesting one...at one time around 71/72 it trialled a system of ten points for a win, five for a draw and one point for every goal scored. The novelty never caught on though....but the crowds were pretty impressive. The competition helped fuel the rise of Stafford Rangers who regularly drew 2,500 plus.

Odd this. I remember, purely from a spell of programme collecting back in the '70s, the 10/5/1per goal system being used by a south eastern league (Kent Floodlit?)
Then again, I remember a league involving Dover, Folkestone and another Kent club (Margate?) playing Calais, Boulogne and Dunquerque, and wouldn't contradict if told that this was the '10/5/1pg' league. Except I seem to be the only one who remembers it.

cinque porter
Junior Team Regular

Sep 2, 2009, 5:58 PM

Post #12 of 41 (7764 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mad Bill] Floodlight leagues/cups [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Odd this. I remember, purely from a spell of programme collecting back in the '70s, the 10/5/1per goal system being used by a south eastern league (Kent Floodlit?)
Then again, I remember a league involving Dover, Folkestone and another Kent club (Margate?) playing Calais, Boulogne and Dunquerque, and wouldn't contradict if told that this was the '10/5/1pg' league. Except I seem to be the only one who remembers it.

Now you vould be recalling the old "Channel Cup". Can't remember too much except that whenever Folkestone played Boulogne there was always a huge punch-up on the pitch.

Mad Bill
First Team Star

Sep 2, 2009, 6:07 PM

Team(s): Hyde United FC; Lancashire CCC; Buffalo Bills;

Post #13 of 41 (7760 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cinque porter] Floodlight leagues/cups [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

Now you vould be recalling the old "Channel Cup". Can't remember too much except that whenever Folkestone played Boulogne there was always a huge punch-up on the pitch.

Phew, someone else who remembers it.

hemelite
First Team Regular

Sep 2, 2009, 10:45 PM

Team(s): Hemel Hempstead Town, West Ham United, Los Angeles Angels & USC

Post #14 of 41 (7713 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Felix] Floodlight leagues/cups [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

This year, non SSML clubs in the senior competition are Potton Utd, Wormley Rovers, Biggleswade Town, Cheshunt and Stansted. Stotfold & Sawbridgeworth have only entered the Reserve section

Hemel used to play in the South Midlands Floodlit Cup in their Isthmian League days, alongside the likes of Milton Keynes City, Potton United etc.
As i recall it was played in, five team groups (playing 2 at home & 2 away) with the groups top two going through to the knock-out stages.
We even won it in the early nineties, but i'm buggered if i can remember who against, although i do remember distinctly beating MK City 2-1 at Wolverton's old ground on a rainy night in the Semi.

robhornby
First Team Star

Sep 2, 2009, 11:09 PM

Team(s): Non League Football

Post #15 of 41 (7703 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hemelite] Floodlight leagues/cups [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Central Midlands Football league have a floodlit cup every year

To visit my charity blog..please click on http://aroundthegrounds2017-18.blogspot.co.uk/

hemelite
First Team Regular

Sep 4, 2009, 5:21 PM

Team(s): Hemel Hempstead Town, West Ham United, Los Angeles Angels & USC

Post #16 of 41 (7616 views)
Shortcut
Re: [robhornby] Floodlight leagues/cups [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

An update, i managed to garner this from a friend:
IN 95/96 SEASON THEY PLAYED IN FOUR GROUPS HEMEL WERE IN GROUP D AND FINISHED TOP OF THEIR GROUP

GROUP D P W D L F-A GD PTS
HEMEL HEMPSTEAD 4 3 0 1 7-3 +4 6
SAWBRIDGEWORTH 4 3 0 1 7-4 +3 6
SHILLINGTON 3 1 1 1 5-4 +1 3
WELWYN GARDEN CITY 4 0 2 2 8-12 -4 2
LETCHWORTH GARDEN CITY 3 0 1 2 1-4 -3 1

LETCHWORTH V SHILLINGTON MATCH NOT PLAYED DUE TO WEATHER

HEMEL GROUP RESULTS
HEMEL 0-1 SAWBRIDGEWORTH
LETCHWORTH 0-2 HEMEL
WELWYN GARDEN CITY 2-4 HEMEL
HEMEL 1-0 SHILLINGTON

QUARTER FINAL
HEMEL 4-1 BUCKINGHAM ATHLETIC

SEMI FINAL
HEMEL 1-2 ROYSTON TOWN

Also:
SOUTH MIDLANDS FLOODLIT CUP SEASON 98/99
ROUND 1 V LETCHWORTH GARDEN CITY H 4-1

ROUND 2 V NEW BRADWELL ST PETER A 4-1

QUARTER FINAL V MILTON KEYNES CITY A 3-1

SEMI FINAL V SAFFRON WALDON TOWN A 3-0

FINAL V BARTON ROVERS H 0-1 Just goes to show my memory aint what it used to be Sly oh well, strangely i remember some of those games quite well now...

(This post was edited by hemelite on Sep 4, 2009, 5:23 PM)

footysphere
Ballboy/girl

May 14, 2013, 9:44 PM

Team(s): Sheffield United, Sheffield FC

Post #17 of 41 (6504 views)
Shortcut

Hello folks, hope someone can help with this non-league query. I've just bought a Wealdstone v Wellingborough Town programme off eBay and it's a M.I Floodlight League fixture from the 68/69 season.

Does anyone know what the M.I stands for or know anything about this competition. cheers :)

footysphere.com

jrev61

May 14, 2013, 10:35 PM

Team(s): None

Post #18 of 41 (6465 views)
Shortcut
Re: [footysphere] Floodlight leagues/cups [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Hello folks, hope someone can help with this non-league query. I've just bought a Wealdstone v Wellingborough Town programme off eBay and it's a M.I Floodlight League fixture from the 68/69 season.

Does anyone know what the M.I stands for or know anything about this competition. cheers :)

It's a motorway not a sponsorship.
The competition was for clubs situated near the then fairly new M1 motorway. Bletchley Town also played in the competition.

jrev61

footysphere
Ballboy/girl

May 14, 2013, 10:40 PM

Team(s): Sheffield United, Sheffield FC

Post #19 of 41 (6460 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jrev61] Floodlight leagues/cups [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Excellent thanks for that. Was confusing the 1 for an I - no wonder I couldn't find any info using google! cheers :)

footysphere.com

Granta
Junior Team Regular

May 15, 2013, 9:55 AM

Post #20 of 41 (6374 views)
Shortcut
Re: [footysphere] Floodlight leagues/cups [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I remember watching a Midweek floodlight league game in the late 60's or early 70's between Basingstoke and Wealdstone, if my memory serves me right Terry Dyson the old Spurs player played for Wealdstone. Strange thing was game kicked off at 3pm on a Saturday afternoon!!! I will try to dig programme out and find more details.

Surrey Claret
Junior Team Star

May 15, 2013, 5:16 PM

Post #21 of 41 (6325 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Granta] Floodlight leagues/cups [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The Eastern Professional Floodlight Competition referred to above (albeit a long time ago) was inaugurated in season 1964-65 with 7 clubs: Chelmsford City, Cambridge United, Kings Lynn, Kettering Town, Wimbledon, Cambridge City and Romford.

ictoan
First Team Regular

May 15, 2013, 6:53 PM

Team(s):

Post #22 of 41 (6298 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Surrey Claret] Floodlight leagues/cups [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The time when these Leagues were in their prime was when many semi professional teams had disbanded their reserves and had a squad of 18-20 players. There was only one substitute allowed under the Laws of the Game so at least 6 players each week did not figure in matches for the main league entered. The Floodlight Leagues were used to give these players plus a game. These games of course would need some players from the main squad.

There 'Ant no place like Sussex, until you goes above, 'Cause Sussex will be Sussex and Sussex wunt be druv.

The North begins at Gatwick.

Hoppy
Reserve Team Sub

May 15, 2013, 7:54 PM

Team(s): Man City,Oldham Ath, Runcorn, South liverpool now non league traveller.

Post #23 of 41 (6279 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ictoan] Floodlight leagues/cups [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

There were many Floodlight Leagues in the North West during the late 60s,70s and 80s involving clubs in the N.P.L,
Cheshire Lge and Lancs Comb but with FA Cup,Trophy,Vase,Lge Cups,County Sen Cups I assume they had no dates available.

London Harrier
First Team Star

Mar 25, 2019, 2:30 PM

Post #24 of 41 (1376 views)
Shortcut
Re: [A.G.Ricer] Floodlight leagues/cups [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Can anyone advise what format the Midland Floodlit Cup took in the 1960s and 1970s? Once it large divisions with promotion and relegation, or small divisions in a World Cup group/knockout format? Be great to see some old tables if there are any knocking about.

Also, was the competition for first or reserve teams of semi-professional clubs?

Sunny Nunny
Youth Team Star

Mar 25, 2019, 4:38 PM

Team(s): Nuneaton Borough

Post #25 of 41 (1217 views)
Shortcut
Re: [London Harrier] Floodlight leagues/cups [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

We always played in this during my time as a youngster then as a young man watching the Boro .
It was usually played on a league basis with some sort of final at the end . At one time most of the top non league sides in the midlands area took part as a first team competition . In the 60's ( before my time ) it attracted big crowds i believe we once had a crowd of 7500 for a game v Tamworth .
My most bizzare memory of the competition was playing Bedworth in the final at Manor Park with Mohammed Ali as guest of honour . He was driven into the ground on the back of an open popemobile style vehicle , throwing tennis balls to the fans . It was surreal to say the least .
By the time the competition finished it was a shadow of it's former self , usually involving clubs like Boro putting out reserve strength teams against sides like Racing Warwick in front of very small crowds .

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3