Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

THIS FORUM IS NOW READ ONLY - PLEASE HEAD OVER TO THE NEW FORUM HERE (CLICK LINK) TO REGISTER A NEW ACCOUNT - THANKS

Home: Archive: Other FA Competitions:
FA Sunday Cup - 2009/10 Entrants

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

MattRamLives
First Team Sub

Aug 17, 2009, 1:12 PM

Team(s): Every Derbyshire team

Post #26 of 49 (13800 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Yorks Amateur] FA Sunday Cup - 2009/10 Entrants [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Hoppy - It only costs 40 to enter a club in the Sunday Cup, not a few hundred. Also, the FA have provided a 60,000 fund to 'assist clubs in meeting their match and travel expenses'. I'm sure that even that sort of money won't cover everything and that most clubs will have to rely on sponsors to help them through.

MatRamLives - There was a Simeon Bambrook who played for Emley but I don't think its him, as I don't believe he has played in the Halifax Sunday league.

My knowlege of the Halifax Sunday league is not the best but the name Freudenberg does ring a vague bell. I've had a look on the attached league handbook pdf but cannot find any mention of them. Nothing comes up on the Halifax Evening Courier website either.

http://www.geocities.com/halifaxsundayleague/Handbook2008_2009.pdf

Interesting to see that the sportmanship award went to the Hebden Bridge Aliens. They must have 'come in peace' !

The other team you refer to maybe Hebden Royd Red Star, who have been one of the better sides in the Halifax Saturday league in the last few years.

acmold - Many thanks for that - Oxford Supporters did play in the 1999/00 season. They lost a high scoring 1st round game at home to Lea Bridge Rangers, by 5-6 AET. Unless they changed their name the following season, that appears to be their sole venture in to the competition. Oxford Road Social have competed in the Sunday Cup and I thought that they could be from Oxon but after further investigation, they were affiliated to the Kent FA.

yeah Hebdon Royd was them - thinking about it I think Freudenberg could well be to with the place called Friendly in Halifax

Mishi
Man City Transfer Target!

Aug 19, 2009, 12:00 AM

Team(s): Dulwich Hamlet

Post #27 of 49 (13754 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MattRamLives] FA Sunday Cup - 2009/10 Entrants [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I don't know what league Oxford Road Social played in, nor who played for them, but they were based at the old Cray Wanderers Oxford Road ground, hence their name. What years did they play in the Sunday Cup?
Also, if you had the records, what years did Jimmy Rose (maybe Jimmy Rose Sports) compete? Possibly early seventies?

Grounds visited: 745
Last new ground:Horsham FC; The Camping World Community Stadium, Horsham, West Sussex. (Isthmian League Premier Division)
Last game: Saturday 21st September 2019: Dulwich Hamlet 6, Bognor Regis Town 1. [ FA Cup 2nd qualifying round]
Matches watched this season: 46
2017/18-New English grounds: 7 & foreign: 0

Yorks Amateur
First Team Sub

Aug 19, 2009, 7:18 PM

Team(s): Bradford City

Post #28 of 49 (13718 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mishi] FA Sunday Cup - 2009/10 Entrants [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Oxford Road Social were members of the Metropolitan Sunday League in the early 1990s.

They competed in the FA Sunday Cup for most of the 1980's and in to the 90's. They reached the 4th round in 1982.

Whilst I don't have complete records for the 1960's & 1970's yet, I do know that Jimmy Rose made it to the quarter finals in 1971, losing to Carlton United. They also won the London FA Sunday Challenge Cup in 1970 & 1971.

Yorks Amateur
First Team Sub

Aug 23, 2009, 10:14 PM

Post #29 of 49 (13684 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Yorks Amateur] FA Sunday Cup - 2009/10 Entrants [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

An updated list of entries has appeared on the FA's site, confirming that the amount of applicants has increased by 11 to 141. The additional 11 are a mix of newbies & veterans and include 2 former winners:

Brittania United (Aylesbury)
Comet Sports Club (Berkhamstead)
Hammer (Watford)
Hartlepool Lion Hillcarter
Luton Old Boys
Mirehouse (Egremont)
Nicosia
Silsoe Park Rangers (North Home Counties SL)
Sporting Dynamo (Hinckley)
St Bees Village (Egremont)
Towngate (Heavy Woollen Gate SL)

The teams in bold are new entrants. Towngate are the 3rd Huddersfield based side in the competition.

robgrillo
First Team Star

Aug 28, 2009, 3:44 PM

Post #30 of 49 (13588 views)
Shortcut

Draw here:
http://www.thefa.com/..._details_270809.aspx

LATE TO THE GAME - The origins of soccer in Bradford. Available from www.bantamspast.net

Yorks Amateur
First Team Sub

Aug 28, 2009, 9:26 PM

Post #31 of 49 (13571 views)
Shortcut
Re: [robgrillo] FA Sunday Cup - 2009/10 Entrants [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

After producing 2 list of applicants, the FA has now finalised the list of entries accepted in to the competition and the final number is 139, although curiously, I have spotted 3 teams that have applied but not been accepted, from the previous list of 141 applicants Crazy

Those teams are: Clapton Rangers, Fazakerley Players and Joiners Arms.

The Preliminary Round will take place on Sunday 20th September, 14:00 KO.

The First Round on Sunday 18th October, 14:00 KO.

Of the first round ties, I think I'll be at either Lindley WMC v JOB or East End Park WMC v Canada

VP

Aug 28, 2009, 10:18 PM

Post #32 of 49 (13566 views)
Shortcut

I've never been to a match in this competition before but will pop along to see Blackwater Valley v Battersea Ironsides. Should be interesting from what I know about BV and what I've seen and heard of BI last season and this. The game is being played at Farnborough North End's ground.

Yorks Amateur
First Team Sub

Sep 1, 2009, 7:13 PM

Post #33 of 49 (13453 views)
Shortcut
Re: [VP] FA Sunday Cup - 2009/10 Entrants [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Spreadsheet attached which confirms the grounds to be used in this seasons competition.
Attachments: 2009-10 Grounds.xls (41.5 KB)

Hoppy
Reserve Team Sub

Sep 2, 2009, 10:41 PM

Team(s): Man City,Oldham Ath, Runcorn, South liverpool now non league traveller.

Post #34 of 49 (13396 views)
Shortcut

There looks a good selection of clubs in this seasons competion Yorks Amateur from all over England and most County clubs have entered.
I wonder if the Runcorn FC ground which Allerton are using is at the Halton Borough club who play in the Warrington and District Lge, the ground in question is on Picow Farm Road near to Runcorn Railway Station?
I wrote to The FA for a competion Directory which covers, FA Cup,Trophy,Vase,Sunday and Womens and I have done this for the past 40 years even enclosing a cheque which
always gets returned but I have not heard from them although they may be using their website?

Hoppy
Reserve Team Sub

Sep 2, 2009, 11:28 PM

Team(s): Man City,Oldham Ath, Runcorn, South liverpool now non league traveller.

Post #35 of 49 (13395 views)
Shortcut
Re: [robgrillo] FA Sunday Cup - 2009/10 Entrants [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Thanks for the draw Rob, I must have missed your item but it looks like all the FA Sunday Cup info is on their website but they may send handbooks out for those who requested one like myself with Secretary details.
I fancy doing Tower v Crossflat in the Preliminary Rnd, I expect the home club have some involvement with New Brighton as ther old ground was called The Tower Grounds.
I may go to Langley Celtic v Dawden C.W at Salford as I once lived on Langley Estate(Middleton) and they have had a number of clubs over the years, Langley Villa in the 60s(South East Lancs Lge) and Langley Rangers(M/C and District Sunday Lge) but I havn,t seen a team from the Middleton Sunday Lge enter in the FASC although I am going through the handbooks I have which are mainly non league from 78/9 prievious to this I bought the News of the World Annuals from the early 60s although The FA had their own Annual or was it a magazine which I never bought mainly Charles Buchans or Soccer Star!!!

Fatboyfat
Reserve Team Star

Sep 3, 2009, 12:24 PM

Post #36 of 49 (13375 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Hoppy] FA Sunday Cup - 2009/10 Entrants [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I wrote to The FA for a competion Directory which covers, FA Cup,Trophy,Vase,Sunday and Womens and I have done this for the past 40 years even enclosing a cheque which
always gets returned but I have not heard from them although they may be using their website?

Just to reassure you, Hoppy, no directories have been sent out yet. The main directory, which this year includes the Women's FA Cup details, is due out any day now, and the FA Sunday cup directory will be out next week I am told.

Hoppy
Reserve Team Sub

Sep 3, 2009, 3:41 PM

Post #37 of 49 (13361 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Fatboyfat] FA Sunday Cup - 2009/10 Entrants [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Hi F.B.F,
Hoppy typing,thanks for you message very much appreciated.
The Directory from The F.A came through the letter box not long after you posted!
It has the FA Cup, Vase, Trophy and Womens details.
I havn,t been to many womens games, Everton at Marine, Liverpool Feds at Manweb but now they play at Heswall as I heard the former ground was being sold to
Kenny Daglish for a "Soccer School"?
Mossley Hill is another womens team I have seen.
I enjoy watching all types of football although International and League on TV only.
I once went to see Brereton Town v Nicosia in The F.A.S.C 3/1/88 won by the visiters but had a good day out and in the early millenium went to a game at Brereton
Social and saw a game at Brocton at the Rowley Stadium, these are clubs in your area.

fredkirkbytown
Reserve Team Star

Sep 4, 2009, 5:42 PM

Team(s):

Post #38 of 49 (13273 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Hoppy] FA Sunday Cup - 2009/10 Entrants [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

It seems like the holders Scots Grey have folded,
according to their website.
"Scots Grey have finished.End of".

robgrillo
First Team Star

Sep 7, 2009, 4:47 PM

Post #39 of 49 (13115 views)
Shortcut
Re: [fredkirkbytown] FA Sunday Cup - 2009/10 Entrants [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

According to Yorks Amateur, there was some disagreement with the Notts Sunday league which led to Scots greys demise. He should be on here soon to let us all know what happened ...........

edit: their website now says this... thanks everyone for your support throughout the years, its gonna be a big miss on Sundays for me personally anyway. The league and the FA who were so proud of us at Anfield while they quaffed the free ale, wine and vol u vents and lorded it up with all and sundry in their suits, have kicked us in the bollox, which has shocked me and for once in my life I've been left speechless !! You never know we may have a VETS side soon like all the others have done. NO CHARITY SHIELD MATCH ON SUNDAY THE LEAGUE HAVE STOPPED US PLAYING BECAUSE WE APPARENTLY OWE FINE MONEY OR SOMETHING. WE HAVE THE MONEY TO PAY IT BUT THEY DECIDED IN ALL THEIR WISDOM TO SUSPEND US LAST NIGHT, INSTEAD OF DOING WHAT THEY NORMALLY DO AND BANNING THE INDIVIDUAL (OH YES THEY ALREADY HAVE BANNED HIM ANYWAY AND ME ASWELL SO THEY HAD TO THINK OF SOMETHING NEW) FOR SOME REASON THEY HAVE STOPPED THE WHOLE TEAM PLAYING FOR A POXY 140.

LATE TO THE GAME - The origins of soccer in Bradford. Available from www.bantamspast.net

(This post was edited by robgrillo on Sep 7, 2009, 4:51 PM)

Yorks Amateur
First Team Sub

Sep 7, 2009, 9:41 PM

Post #40 of 49 (13076 views)
Shortcut

As you can see from the above post, there was a definite 'difference of opinion' between Scots Grey, The Notts FA and the Notts Sunday league. Maybe someone familiar with the Sunday scene in Nottingham can shed some light on this, as I can't find anything on the thisisnottingham site, the Notts FA site or the full time NSL site.

Scots Grey's forum suggests that the secretary and manager (I believe) were 'banned' by the Notts FA.

However, this was not the only problem. Surprisingly, for a team that has earned the right to call themselves the best Sunday football team in the country, Scots Grey were struggling to attract players. It could well be that several players decided to 'retire' after having such a memorable day out at Anfield and lifting the Sunday Cup last season.

By all accounts, the players they had recruited were not to the same standard as those that had departed, so rather than watch their team decline, they decided to pack it in. A rather sad ending, it has to be said.

Yorks Amateur
First Team Sub

Sep 11, 2009, 9:14 PM

Post #41 of 49 (12857 views)
Shortcut

I've just found the attached article in the 'Hucknall Dispatch' - it pretty much covers why Scots Grey have disbanded:

http://www.hucknalldispatch.co.uk/sport/ANFIELD-HEROES-SCOTS-GREY-DISBAND.5619060.jp

seacroftsean
Junior Team Regular

Oct 15, 2009, 12:21 PM

Team(s): East End Park WMC

Post #42 of 49 (11625 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
After producing 2 list of applicants, the FA has now finalised the list of entries accepted in to the competition and the final number is 139, although curiously, I have spotted 3 teams that have applied but not been accepted, from the previous list of 141 applicants Crazy

Those teams are: Clapton Rangers, Fazakerley Players and Joiners Arms.

The Preliminary Round will take place on Sunday 20th September, 14:00 KO.

The First Round on Sunday 18th October, 14:00 KO.

Of the first round ties, I think I'll be at either Lindley WMC v JOB or East End Park WMC v Canada

Please be aware that this game is being played at Knaresborough Town F.C and not at Skelton Road, I don't know what time it kicks-off though.

www.eep.webeden.co.uk

Yorks Amateur
First Team Sub

Oct 15, 2009, 5:28 PM

Post #43 of 49 (11603 views)
Shortcut
Re: [seacroftsean] FA Sunday Cup - 2009/10 Entrants [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The vast majority of the Sunday Cup ties this weekend will kick off at 14:00.

stevegraze
Reserve Team Regular

Oct 15, 2009, 11:04 PM

Post #44 of 49 (11578 views)
Shortcut

Shame Clapton Rangers (Hackney and Leyton Sunday League) were not accepted. They've won County Cups in London for the past 2 years running. They won the LFA Sunday Junior Cup in 2008 and the LFA Sunday Intermediate Cup this year. I think their application was rejected because their home "ground" is not up to scratch. They play on the famous Hackney Marshes as they don't have their own ground.

Mishi

Oct 16, 2009, 12:14 AM

Team(s): Dulwich Hamlet

Post #45 of 49 (11571 views)
Shortcut
Re: [stevegraze] FA Sunday Cup - 2009/10 Entrants [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Lot's of FA Sunday Cup clubs don't play on their own grounds. Many have a hire arrangement in place with s local non-league (Saturday) club ground specifically for the Sunday Cup.

Grounds visited: 745
Last new ground:Horsham FC; The Camping World Community Stadium, Horsham, West Sussex. (Isthmian League Premier Division)
Last game: Saturday 21st September 2019: Dulwich Hamlet 6, Bognor Regis Town 1. [ FA Cup 2nd qualifying round]
Matches watched this season: 46
2017/18-New English grounds: 7 & foreign: 0

stevegraze
Reserve Team Regular

Oct 17, 2009, 2:03 PM

Post #46 of 49 (11454 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mishi] FA Sunday Cup - 2009/10 Entrants [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I see. Perhaps they thought the cost of hiring a ground was too prohibitive? That said, there are plenty of good Saturday grounds in their area in east London (Leyton, Waltham Forest etc).

Monksfield
Ballboy/girl

Oct 23, 2009, 10:49 PM

Post #47 of 49 (11193 views)
Shortcut
Re: [stevegraze] FA Sunday Cup - 2009/10 Entrants [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Yes, the cost of hiring a ground was too prohibitive. Including Leyton and Waltham Forest. That said, they make good videos though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAxjApmgskQ

(This post was edited by Monksfield on Oct 23, 2009, 10:51 PM)

stevegraze
Reserve Team Regular

Oct 29, 2009, 11:23 PM

Post #48 of 49 (11050 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Monksfield] FA Sunday Cup - 2009/10 Entrants [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Yeah they do. Their ultimate aim is to go semi-pro in the near future.

stevegraze
Reserve Team Regular

Feb 9, 2010, 7:28 AM

Post #49 of 49 (10503 views)
Shortcut

A great shame that this chaotic game was wasted in the prelim round. A very good side (Baldon Sports) were involved. Don't think I've ever seen anything like this. Read the match report....

Baldon Sports 2-3 London Maccabi Lions (aet)
The FA Carlsberg Sunday Cup
Preliminary Round
12.30pm, Sunday 27 September 2009
Champion Hill, Dulwich Hamlet FC

http://imitating-rupert.blogspot.com/2009/09/baldon-sports-2-maccabi-london-lions-3.html

Looking down the Baldon line-up they were dominated totally by the Dolby family. The current chairman Graham Dolby first played for the club in 1975, a year after they were formed, & his father George Dolby went on to be manager. In the starting eleven was Jason, Dean, Ryan, Adam (the captain) & Marc Dolby, who edited the programme; with another, George, on the bench! I don't think I've seen so many of the same family in a team before.
I took my seat in the stand for a quiet game...if only! Not just the football.
I must admit to knowing not too much about Senior Sunday football, but I do know that the top division of the London & Kent Border is a decent standard, so I am expecting a good game. What I was not expecting is what actually unfolded!

It started off funnily enough, when the players lined up for the hand shakes, and stood as if it was the FA Cup Final. Not something they do in their ordinary Sunday League matches, I would guess, as a Baldon player was so amused by it all he started belting out the national anthem at full voice!

These were two contrasting sides, 'personality' wise. Maccabi were gentlemen, almost from the 'after you Claude' brigade, apologetic if they mistimed a tackle. Whereas Baldon were rough, tough and up for it Sarf Lunnon wideboys! As well as that though they were half decent footballers, and they took the lead around the half hour mark. Ryan Dolby played the ball through to his brother Marc whose shot went in off the post. somewhat unusually just before half time, with no apparent sign of injury Baldon brought on another keeper & changed over their goalies. But there was no more action, of note. This was the 'calm before the storm'! Roll on the second half...

From kick off Baldon had a hopeful punt at goal direct from the centre circle that came to nothing, but it was the Lions who had the ball in the back of the net and equalised. I then saw something that is becoming a dying art, namely a contested drop ball! Remember those?
Then came the first red card of the afternoon, it was, unsurprisngly as there were so many of them, the Dolby family who were involved. Adam greedily had a shot at goal, rather than setting up a waiting team mate, and his brother Jason called him a 'fucking cunt', which earned him a second yellow, & thus a red.

The resulting one man advantage was a shot in the arm for Maccabi, and they took the lead ten minutes later through Michael Pearson, for his second of the match. This followed Baldon having hit the woodwork at the other end. The South Londoners pressed forward for the rest of the half, and their pressure finally showed fruit in the dying seconds when Adam Dolby equalised with a header at the far-post from a free kick. Literally seconds later the referee blew for full time, and thus another half hour of football, with the ball barely leaving the centre circle.

Sitting up by the boardroom was an official from the London FA. He was saying that it would be a good idea to introduce sin bins, which might help to cool down some teams like Baldon, who 'never learn' & are always a bit ill-disciplined. How prophetic his words were as extra time commenced!

Both Ryan Dolby and Adam Dolby ended up with 'early baths' for foul and abusive language, challenging the officials, swearing and calling them cheats & worse. not just them, but the dugout, and people in the stand. It's been a long time since I've heard someone scream 'fucking monkey' at a black referee. Shameful! It all made a mockery of Baldon Sports having the 'Let's Kick Racisim Out of Football' emblem on the cover of the superb 24 page programme. And as for having the word RESPECT on it as well...you're having a bubble!

Not content with being down to eight men Jack Merral joined them for a very late challenge, & rightly so! the first actual 'proper' red card, as in one that was for a footballing error, rather than self-inflicted dissent. Down to seven some confusion followed, as some thought the game was going to be abandoned, but you need to have LESS THAN seven players left for this to have, not just seven, so after brief consultation with his assistants referee Michael Barnes continued.

The Baldon seven went for broke and went all out for attack, while Maccabi, despite their vastly superior numbers, didn't wuite know what to do. They pussyfooted about, rather than going for the jugular, but their numbers told in the end, and Michael Pearson found himself in plenty of space to hit the winner into the bottom corner, for his hat-trick.

The whistle finally went, with Baldon bitterly moaning about the piss poor officials, not realising it was they themselves that brought their own downfall. Which was a pity really, because if they had just stuck to the football they would undoubtedly have been in the next round of the competition.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3