Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

THIS FORUM IS NOW READ ONLY - PLEASE HEAD OVER TO THE NEW FORUM HERE (CLICK LINK) TO REGISTER A NEW ACCOUNT - THANKS

Home: Archive: Other FA Competitions:
FA Sunday Cup - 2009/10 Entrants

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Yorks Amateur
First Team Sub

Aug 12, 2009, 1:33 PM

Team(s): Bradford City

Post #1 of 49 (15341 views)
Shortcut
FA Sunday Cup - 2009/10 Entrants Can't Post or Reply Privately

130 teams have applied for this season's FA Sunday Cup.

Regular followers of this tournament won't be too surprised to learn that 23 of those entrants originate from the Liverpool FA !! This doesn't include the 3 Wallasey/Birkenhead sides representing Cheshire FA.

From a Yorkshire perspective, the new teams include:

AFC Blackburn Leisure - Hull
Buttershaw Whitestar - Bradford (back in after being banned !!)
Chapletown Brazil - Leeds
East End Park WMC - Leeds
Lindley WMC - Huddersfield

No surprise to see new sides in from Leeds & Huddersfield, bearing in mind that teams from those areas made it to the quarter final last season (Fforde Grene Brazil from Leeds, made it to the semi finals).

I am, however, surprised to see that Coundon Conservative Club (2007 winners & 2008 runners up) have not entered this seasons competition.

Three Sides
Reserve Team Star

Aug 12, 2009, 10:13 PM

Team(s): Stourbridge

Post #2 of 49 (15310 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Yorks Amateur] FA Sunday Cup - 2009/10 Entrants [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Full list on PDF at FA Website http://www.thefa.com/...hx/FAS%20Entries.pdf

MattRamLives
First Team Sub

Aug 13, 2009, 7:40 AM

Team(s): Every Derbyshire team

Post #3 of 49 (15284 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Three Sides] FA Sunday Cup - 2009/10 Entrants [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I find it dissapointing that this competition does nt represent the best of sunday footie throughout the country - top half of the country it is / was Liverpool and W Yorks - then of course there's ringers - a competition for players who have nt played step 7 or above or somesuch and one or two reps from each county would be better - I ducked out of playing this as my side at the time lost 6-2 to a scouse side

scottywalds
First Team Star

Aug 13, 2009, 10:34 AM

Team(s): Boston United

Post #4 of 49 (15274 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MattRamLives] FA Sunday Cup - 2009/10 Entrants [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Couple of Boston teams in there - Britannia Revolution and Magnet Tavern. The Magnet did very well a couple of years ago - semi finals I think.

acmold
Man City Transfer Target!

Aug 13, 2009, 10:36 AM

Post #5 of 49 (15274 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MattRamLives] FA Sunday Cup - 2009/10 Entrants [In reply to] Can't Post or

I'm not a Sunday football person, but I can't remember the last time a team from Oxfordshire entered, must be quite a few years ago. I presume looking from the list it is not the only county that does not have teams in the cup. Do we have any ideas why sertain counties don't enter any teams.

On the other hand teams from Oxfordshire have been quite sussessful in national veterans competitions over the years, one team won the over 35's cup the other year, though they did include 2 or 3 former full internationals in their side, one who had played in a Championship side within the 12 months prior to him winning the veterans cup.

Yorks Amateur
First Team Sub

Aug 13, 2009, 12:18 PM

Post #6 of 49 (15264 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MattRamLives] FA Sunday Cup - 2009/10 Entrants [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I find it dissapointing that this competition does nt represent the best of sunday footie throughout the country - top half of the country it is / was Liverpool and W Yorks - then of course there's ringers - a competition for players who have nt played step 7 or above or somesuch and one or two reps from each county would be better - I ducked out of playing this as my side at the time lost 6-2 to a scouse side

I think it does represent the best of Sunday football. I'm normally impressed by the standard of play in the games that I've seen.

There are a lot of teams in from Merseyside, West Yorkshire and the North East but the cup is open to all, so other than encouraging sides to enter it, I don't see what more the FA/County FA's can do, apart from maybe increase the level of financial assistance given. 6 years ago just 90 teams competed. Now the level of entrants is consistantly around the 130 mark, so interest from clubs hasn't been so high in years.

As some people on here know, I'm researching the history of this competition and to the best of my knowledge, there are only 3 County FA regions that have either never had a team in it, or haven't had a team in it for a long time. They are: Cornwall, Oxfordshire and Derbyshire.

Hopefully, MattRamLives and AC Mold can give some insight in to why Oxfordshire & Derbyshire don't have teams willing to enter in to it. My own theory with Derbyshire sides is that they may prefer to enter the Midland Sunday Cup instead. I'd also think that travelling costs may prohibit Cornish sides from entering, although there are Devon based sides in it now.

They say that success breeds success and I think this is proven by the fact that Lakeside (Plymouth) Fforde Grene Brazil (Leeds) and Huddersfield Irish Centre all reached the latter stages last season. This has led to other teams from those areas 'giving it a go' this season.

As for a competition for players who haven't played above step 7, I'm not sure how this could be effectively policed. Plenty of teams have been removed for fielding ringers and long my this continue for rule breakers.

MattRamLives - which team did you play for? Were they from Derbyshire (if so, who were they??) or Nottinghamshire?

Richard Rundle

Aug 13, 2009, 12:22 PM

Post #7 of 49 (15262 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] FA Sunday Cup - 2009/10 Entrants [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I'm not a Sunday football person, but I can't remember the last time a team from Oxfordshire entered, must be quite a few years ago. I presume looking from the list it is not the only county that does not have teams in the cup. Do we have any ideas why sertain counties don't enter any teams.

On the other hand teams from Oxfordshire have been quite sussessful in national veterans competitions over the years, one team won the over 35's cup the other year, though they did include 2 or 3 former full internationals in their side, one who had played in a Championship side within the 12 months prior to him winning the veterans cup.

Can't ever remeber a team from Cornwall in the Sunday Cup, but then Sunday football is a very small business in the county, there is a West Cornwall Sunday League of two very small divisions, and they were talking about making it only for people who don't play on Saturdays at one point. Don't know it there is anything in the Eastern half at all.

Devon has gone up from one entry (Lakeside, who did very well last year) to two, but again there certaintly isn't the amount of organisation, and leagues and teams you get in places like Birmingham.

Of course, this has a benefit to the likes of you and me in that there is no problem for Saturday teams to play odd fixtures including many local cup ties on Sundays. I know Veteran for instance has been down to a couple of the North Devon League teams when thev've played a game on a Sunday over the last two seasons.

--
Richard

VP

Aug 13, 2009, 2:03 PM

Post #8 of 49 (15248 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Richard Rundle] FA Sunday Cup - 2009/10 Entrants [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Just looked at the list and delighted to see Blackwater Valley have entered. I believe this is their first time in it.
Some of them were involved with 'my' old Sunday team - Jolly Farmer FC and we considered entering the FA Sunday Cup for a couple of seasons but it never happened.
I've been asked back as Blackwater Valley need a secretary but I had to refuse. I don't do Sunday mornings any more. Hopefully they've now filled the position.
It'll be interesting to see how far they go.

That's made my day that has. Smile

MattRamLives
First Team Sub

Aug 13, 2009, 5:51 PM

Post #9 of 49 (15229 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Yorks Amateur] FA Sunday Cup - 2009/10 Entrants [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

I think it does represent the best of Sunday football. I'm normally impressed by the standard of play in the games that I've seen.

There are a lot of teams in from Merseyside, West Yorkshire and the North East but the cup is open to all, so other than encouraging sides to enter it, I don't see what more the FA/County FA's can do, apart from maybe increase the level of financial assistance given. 6 years ago just 90 teams competed. Now the level of entrants is consistantly around the 130 mark, so interest from clubs hasn't been so high in years.

As some people on here know, I'm researching the history of this competition and to the best of my knowledge, there are only 3 County FA regions that have either never had a team in it, or haven't had a team in it for a long time. They are: Cornwall, Oxfordshire and Derbyshire.

Hopefully, MattRamLives and AC Mold can give some insight in to why Oxfordshire & Derbyshire don't have teams willing to enter in to it. My own theory with Derbyshire sides is that they may prefer to enter the Midland Sunday Cup instead. I'd also think that travelling costs may prohibit Cornish sides from entering, although there are Devon based sides in it now.

They say that success breeds success and I think this is proven by the fact that Lakeside (Plymouth) Fforde Grene Brazil (Leeds) and Huddersfield Irish Centre all reached the latter stages last season. This has led to other teams from those areas 'giving it a go' this season.

As for a competition for players who haven't played above step 7, I'm not sure how this could be effectively policed. Plenty of teams have been removed for fielding ringers and long my this continue for rule breakers.

MattRamLives - which team did you play for? Were they from Derbyshire (if so, who were they??) or Nottinghamshire?

I made a few shambolic appearances - mainly as a frozen sub for Kebroyd Rovers - without looking up, I think it was on the A622? to Ripponden anyway it was blinking freezing - my career took a turn for the worse when said frozen lad (despite protestations) was brought on in a cup game 3-2 up and a minute or so to go against Freundberg or somuet and promptly gave the ball away (x3) for a 5-3 defeat
Now playing Todmudden - well all out war - Lancs or Yorks?Sly

We played AC Sparks - 90/91 I think -we were promised a game at The Shay if we won - a few of the lads played for Emley when they were storming it - totally out of my class of football

As regards Derbyshire - I watch my words but some people in the position to do someut do nowt and are nt the most progressive - growing up as a lad the best 2 teams were Derbys Police and Rainbow Athletic (mainly Rastas) bye those games were fun to watch!!

It's a shame - one of my highlights sunday footie wise was playing in the N Yorks sunday cup and being drawn at home to Masham - unfortunately and due to totally unforseen and bogus reasons New Lane was unavaible - so a heavy defeat at their place - Theakstons and Black Sheep was the order of the day

MattRamLives
First Team Sub

Aug 13, 2009, 5:53 PM

Post #10 of 49 (15228 views)
Shortcut

After 19 years I have just realised that AC Sparks may have been Scouse humour

acmold

Aug 13, 2009, 7:53 PM

Post #11 of 49 (15219 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Yorks Amateur] FA Sunday Cup - 2009/10 Entrants [In reply to] Can't Post or

I was hoping someone would be able to tell me why no one from Oxfordshire enters, I've not got a clue. All I know is the Oxford Sunday League that used to have 8 or 9 division ten years ago has now folded - cost of pitch and dressing room hire, referees charges and the fact the teams have to put theirown nets up on council pitch's were some of the main reasons given for it folding. Sunday teams now play in various other leagues, UTV, Aylesbury, Banbury, maybe others. Some teams play on Hellenic grounds and one may even play at Abingdon United. Sunday teams have in the past fielded contract players in games, money has been played to players to play, etc. The local Sunday finals attract crowds in the hundreds.

I've not seen a Sunday game for 10 years or so.

Yorks Amateur
First Team Sub

Aug 13, 2009, 8:46 PM

Post #12 of 49 (15210 views)
Shortcut

I remember Kebroyd. I think they were the first team from Halifax to lift the West Riding County Sunday Cup.

I bet their Emley players included Dean Pritchard, who I remember as a svelte winger, back in the day. I saw him playing for Ryburn a couple of seasons of back. He was then a hefty looking midfielder !!!

Kebroyd only played 2 games in the Sunday Cup. They did lose to AC Sparks in 90/91. They made their debut the season before at Broadoak Hotel, losing 2-1. I think Broadoak were from Manchester. Maybe you can confirm?

The round after Kebroyd lost in Liverpool, I went to watch Halifax's other FA Sunday Cup entrants, Railway Hotel play East Levenshulme up at Ovendon. East Levie had been in the final a couple of seasons previously and easily beat Railway 4-1.

It's a shame that Elland have decided not to enter this seasons competition. They have been Halifax's best side for the last 5 years or so.

As part of the research I'm doing, I plan to contact all County FA's to ask for information. If I'm honest, I'm not expecting much of a response but you never know unless you ask !! I'll be interested to see what Cornwall, Oxon & Derbyshire have to say (if anything).

Hoppy
Reserve Team Sub

Aug 13, 2009, 10:42 PM

Team(s): Man City,Oldham Ath, Runcorn, South liverpool now non league traveller.

Post #13 of 49 (15206 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] FA Sunday Cup - 2009/10 Entrants [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Its similar in the L/Pool and District, once ten divs now four also in the L/Pool Business House League the cost of running clubs is high especially the ground rents.
Merseyside,North Eastern,Bedfordshire have been successful but I have seen clubs from the Midlands and Yorkshire who are on the same level as the latter areas and Lee Chapel North from Basildon won and lost a Final, I saw them against Eagle, drew at Runcorn, lost the replay at Basildon/Billericay?
Payments have been going on since Sunday football was legalised in the early sixties, first club I saw was the C.N.D.(Campain(for) Nuclear Dissarmement, they had their logo on the front of the shirts!
Some pubs and social clubs have had good income from the regulars,Fantail(Kirkby),Nicosia(founder from Cyprus),Almithack(folded),Avenue(Birkenhead), Eagle(Huyton) now demolished,A.C.Delco(Sparks) Kirkby(car electrical parts) folded as did the two leagues in Kirkby!
A number of the players from the above Merseyside teams played for North West Counties clubs but I thought they were only allowed so many per club on a form from the F.A!
I think the cost of entering the competition is a few hundred pounds
although travelling to away games is cheap as the home club provide travelling expenses.
The interest in Sunday football has gone down mainly due to the Premier league playing on the same day and some pubs have the games on foriegn channels, turn the sound off and put the commentary from the local radio station!
Over ten years ago and past some of the games in the L/Pool and District attracted crowds up to five hundred epecially on the Sefton Park Grounds now no teams play on them!
I haven,t seen a FA Sunday Cup game since 2006/7 when I had a first visit to Jacobs Sports Ground(once Jabisco in the L/Pool Cty Comb)on Long Lane Fazackerly now called Jacobs Old Boys, its next to the works on a well enclosed ground, pitch railed off and in good condition, no cover or hard standing,good social club with hot and cold drinks similar to the food,prog 1 including admission, Att 30.

MattRamLives
First Team Sub

Aug 14, 2009, 9:18 AM

Post #14 of 49 (15185 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
I remember Kebroyd. I think they were the first team from Halifax to lift the West Riding County Sunday Cup.

I bet their Emley players included Dean Pritchard, who I remember as a svelte winger, back in the day. I saw him playing for Ryburn a couple of seasons of back. He was then a hefty looking midfielder !!!

Kebroyd only played 2 games in the Sunday Cup. They did lose to AC Sparks in 90/91. They made their debut the season before at Broadoak Hotel, losing 2-1. I think Broadoak were from Manchester. Maybe you can confirm?

The round after Kebroyd lost in Liverpool, I went to watch Halifax's other FA Sunday Cup entrants, Railway Hotel play East Levenshulme up at Ovendon. East Levie had been in the final a couple of seasons previously and easily beat Railway 4-1.

It's a shame that Elland have decided not to enter this seasons competition. They have been Halifax's best side for the last 5 years or so.

As part of the research I'm doing, I plan to contact all County FA's to ask for information. If I'm honest, I'm not expecting much of a response but you never know unless you ask !! I'll be interested to see what Cornwall, Oxon & Derbyshire have to say (if anything).

I can't confirm the Broadoak match - I moved to Halifax start of the 90/91 - I did nt realise just how good Kebroyd were - of course I'm a legend in my own lunchtime - but it really was something else - it was like I'd never played football before and then shoved on the pitch.
I think there were between 5 or 7 who played for Emley - names are hard to recall because I was just making up the numbers really - but I recall there being a good player called Dean - also a Bainbridge or Bambridge? top player

Got to say having played at the top and bottom of York and Derby leagues and against some very good Uni sides,(Mick Brolly and Iffy Onoura included!) I was astounded just how good the Halifax league was

Can you help me on the name of the team - may have been Fruendenberg - also there was a Red Star (Hebden?)

The other thing I learnt (apart from going to Thrum Hall and seeing just how hard RL is) that its Sorby Bridge not Sow er bee as I said

(This post was edited by MattRamLives on Aug 14, 2009, 9:21 AM)

acmold

Aug 14, 2009, 10:01 AM

Post #15 of 49 (15181 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] FA Sunday Cup - 2009/10 Entrants [In reply to] Can't Post or

Friend of mine who is a referee on a Sunday told me last night he ran the line on a F.A. Sunday Cup tie at Abingdon United involving a team called Oxford Supporters about 10 years ago. He can't remember any team from the Oxford Sunday League entering since. To his knowledge no team from the UTV has ever entered, or the Banbury Sunday League. Teams from the Reading Sunday League which covers the south east of the county have played games in Oxfordshire in the Sunday Cup but I know one Theale were a B&B team using a ground in Oxfordshire at Peppard. I think Henley Town may be the only venue in Oxfordshire used in recent years for a Sunday tie and again it would be for a Reading Sunday League side.

Teams in Oxfordshire seem to play in the UTV, Reading, Swindon, Aylesbury, Wycombe and Banbury Sunday Leagues, the latter being the one with most O.F.A teams, but it also has Northants and Warwickshire teams in it. About 80 clubs enter the O.F.A Sam Waters Cup, I have only got an O.F.A. handbook from four seasons ago, and I note a number of the teams in the cup that season were actually from Northamptonshire. The Banbury Sunday League looked to have most clubs in the cup.

sandhurstbee

Aug 15, 2009, 12:37 PM

Team(s): Brentford, Sandhurst Town and Most local Non League sides.

Post #16 of 49 (15126 views)
Shortcut

I was Secretary of a Boys team in Southall, St Anselms and we progressed into mens football. During the 15 Years or so I was involved we played in 5 Different Leagues. Four have since disbanded, West London Deanery and Ealing Youth Leagues as well as The Marathon Sunday League and North Hillingdon and District Sunday League. This just leaves The Hayes and District Sunday League still going. I think this highlights the plights of sunday Football. I once read that the average Lifespan of a Sunday Football Club is about 7 Years so for St Anselms to run from 1979 to 2002 (I Think) was a major achievement. Having said that whilst in the Marathon Sunday league we used to have Bedfont Sports and later on Belstone playing in The FA Sunday Cup.

Last New Ground 2016/17 (15) 29/4/2017 HIGHMOOR/IBIS RESERVES 1 Mortimer 1 - Thames Valley premier league, Premier Division

Yorks Amateur
First Team Sub

Aug 15, 2009, 2:40 PM

Post #17 of 49 (15120 views)
Shortcut

Hoppy - It only costs 40 to enter a club in the Sunday Cup, not a few hundred. Also, the FA have provided a 60,000 fund to 'assist clubs in meeting their match and travel expenses'. I'm sure that even that sort of money won't cover everything and that most clubs will have to rely on sponsors to help them through.

MatRamLives - There was a Simeon Bambrook who played for Emley but I don't think its him, as I don't believe he has played in the Halifax Sunday league.

My knowlege of the Halifax Sunday league is not the best but the name Freudenberg does ring a vague bell. I've had a look on the attached league handbook pdf but cannot find any mention of them. Nothing comes up on the Halifax Evening Courier website either.

http://www.geocities.com/halifaxsundayleague/Handbook2008_2009.pdf

Interesting to see that the sportmanship award went to the Hebden Bridge Aliens. They must have 'come in peace' !

The other team you refer to maybe Hebden Royd Red Star, who have been one of the better sides in the Halifax Saturday league in the last few years.

acmold - Many thanks for that - Oxford Supporters did play in the 1999/00 season. They lost a high scoring 1st round game at home to Lea Bridge Rangers, by 5-6 AET. Unless they changed their name the following season, that appears to be their sole venture in to the competition. Oxford Road Social have competed in the Sunday Cup and I thought that they could be from Oxon but after further investigation, they were affiliated to the Kent FA.

robgrillo
First Team Star

Aug 15, 2009, 9:56 PM

Post #18 of 49 (15108 views)
Shortcut

Hebden Royd Red Star produced a small club history book last season - albeit Saturday football!

Keighley has had 2 sides that have had good FA Sunday cup runs - Dean Smith & Grace and Magnet FC. Sadly, the league they played in, the Keighley (& Aire valley) Sunday Alliance - possibly the oldest Sunday league in Yorkshire - looks set to fold pretty soon. Only 8 sides in it this year. Now that the Bradford Sunday Alliance has allowed Keighley teams to join up (in order to maintain its own numbers) then many sides are going there instead. A couple of years ago we lost the Wharfedale Sunday League up here too - I'm sure there were FA Sunday Cup entrants from that league also at one time?

LATE TO THE GAME - The origins of soccer in Bradford. Available from www.bantamspast.net

Yorks Amateur
First Team Sub

Aug 15, 2009, 10:56 PM

Post #19 of 49 (15100 views)
Shortcut
Re: [robgrillo] FA Sunday Cup - 2009/10 Entrants [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

As you know Rob, Bolton Woods were a major force in the Wharfedale Sunday League. They applied for the FA Sunday Cup in 1989/90 season but had to withdraw before playing a game, as an 'opportunity' to join the Bradford Sunday Alliance League arose, when they 'merged' with Black Swan (Frizinghall) who were in dire straits, just a few games in to the new season.

Woods actually made their Sunday Cup debut 2 seasons later, in a rare all Bradford clash against Oakenshaw.

However, the WSL were represented in the 1989/90 Sunday Cup, when Airedale Magnet re-entered the tournament after a 10 year absence.

Baildon Athletic also made their debut in the 1989/90 season, although I'm not sure what league they were in, as in only a few seasons they left the WSL for the Wharfedale Triangle SL and then moved in to the BSAL.

Star Athletic made their one & only appearance in 1992/93, a 7-1 thumping at Mitre BS. Again, I'm not sure which Wharfedale league they were in at the time.

Another former WSL team to play in the Sunday Cup were Stanley Road but I'm fairly sure they were in the Bradford league by then.

robgrillo
First Team Star

Aug 16, 2009, 9:08 AM

Post #20 of 49 (15082 views)
Shortcut

Great stuff, Ian
I've pretty sure i've got all the Wharfedale line ups / constitutions from those years so will check which leagues they were in.

LATE TO THE GAME - The origins of soccer in Bradford. Available from www.bantamspast.net

Yorks Amateur
First Team Sub

Aug 16, 2009, 12:27 PM

Post #21 of 49 (15073 views)
Shortcut
Re: [robgrillo] FA Sunday Cup - 2009/10 Entrants [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

No worries.

If you want, I can email you details of the Triangle Leagues representatives.

A number of common themes have emerged whilst researching the Sunday Cup. One of them is the movement of clubs between various leagues. It wasn't uncommon for some of the finalists in the early years to have played in as many as 3 or 4 different Sunday leagues, despite Sunday football only having been legalised a few years earlier.

As you know, 1966 semi finalists Ventus United left the Bradford & District Sunday League to join the Keighley League, as it was considered to be a stronger competition at the time. Now, sadly, this trend is in reverse and the Keighley League is now struggling to survive.

One area where Sunday football appears to be thriving is Leeds. There are 3 Leeds Sunday leagues and teams who, in recent times, have played in the Bradford Sunday Alliance, Claro Sunday League and the Wharfedale Triangle League.

robgrillo
First Team Star

Aug 16, 2009, 5:15 PM

Post #22 of 49 (15064 views)
Shortcut

Ian
Star Athletic were in the Wharfedale Triangle for the 92-93 - they gained entry into the Bradford Sunday league in 1993 when they merged with Pile Bar, becoming Sandy Lane '94 in 1994.

Without checking, pretty sure Baildon Athletic were still in the old Wharfedale league in 89-90, I have one of their FA Sunday Cup programmes in the attic somewhere !

Fatboyfat
Reserve Team Star

Aug 16, 2009, 6:09 PM

Post #23 of 49 (15059 views)
Shortcut

Another sign of changing trends is the lack of Birmingham FA clubs in this years competition. Time was when there would be ten or so clubs entered, but I can only see 2 this season. On the plus side are more clubs from Staffordshire for me to visit.

Does MattRamLives remember a Derby team called Redfern Athletic playing in the FASC in 1969? Their programme says the game v Canada (from Liverpool) was played at Normanton Barracks in Sinfin Lane which I am sure was used by a club in the Midland Regional Alliance in recent years?

Yorks Amateur
First Team Sub

Aug 16, 2009, 9:46 PM

Post #24 of 49 (15045 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Fatboyfat] FA Sunday Cup - 2009/10 Entrants [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Hi Steve

I've noticed that there are less Brummies in this time. I was leafing through the 1983 final programme the other day and it confirmed that of the 101 teams entered in the 1982/83 campaign, 9 were from the Festival League, 5 were from the Wolverhampton league and there were 4 each from the Liverpool and Brooke William (?) Sunday Leagues
any info on Brooke William Sunday League will be gratefully received.

There were still 10 teams from the Birmingham FA in 2007/08 but this number had halved last season. I wonder what has caused the decline in numbers?

I've also noticed that all 3 Hartlepool sides (Athletic Rugby, Lion Hillcarter and Rovers Quoit) have all decided not to enter this season. While Athletic Rugby & Rovers Quoit have modest records, Lion Hillcarter have been very successful in the past and have competed in the Sunday Cup for many years. Its a shame that all 3 should call it a day. Another Hartlepool side, Supporters Athletic, last entered in 2007/08.

Thanks for the info on Redfern Athletic. Finding info about the early days is challenging and as mentioned above, any info is gratefully received.

AndrewG
First Team Star

Aug 16, 2009, 10:21 PM

Team(s):

Post #25 of 49 (15041 views)
Shortcut

Happily, the number of entries from Manchester has shown a 100% increase this season, albeit from only one to two. Last season's entrants Grey Horse have folded (their manager has moved over to Saturday football with Hollinwood). Entering are last season's North West Sunday Champions Cup winners Langley Celtic from the Middleton Sunday League (they beat FA Sunday Cup runners-up Oyster Martyrs in the NWSCC semi), and Salford Celtic who have progressed through the Eccles Sunday League quite impressively in recent seasons.

Chances of anyone from Lancashire entering still seem disappointingly unlikely.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3