Whats This Section For?

steve walker
Administrator

Aug 9, 2009, 12:31 PM

Team(s):

Post #1 of 17 (39600 views)
Shortcut
Whats This Section For? Can't Post or Reply Privately

I think Angus wants the seasons results posted in here so that they are in one handy place when the new site is open for results inputters.

I'm expecting he will expand further on that. In fact I'd put my house on it Wink

(This post was edited by steve walker on Aug 9, 2009, 12:45 PM)

drawoh
First Team Sub

Aug 9, 2009, 1:03 PM

Post #2 of 17 (39583 views)
Shortcut
Re: [steve walker] Whats This Section For? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Excellent!

I'll start very soon. Hope you don't lose your house, btw. Sly

vienna1964
Deleted

Aug 9, 2009, 2:34 PM

Team(s):

Post #3 of 17 (39552 views)
Shortcut
Re: [steve walker] Whats This Section For? [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To
I think Angus wants the seasons results posted in here so that they are in one handy place when the new site is open for results inputters.

I'm expecting he will expand further on that. In fact I'd put my house on it Wink

Steve's exactly and succinctly correct.

You may post the house to the address in my ID details !!!Tongue

I APOLOGISE UNRESERVEDLY TO EACH AND EVERY PERSON ON THIS FORUM WHO HAS FELT LET-DOWN BY MY INIMICABLE AND DEPLORABLE BEHAVIOUR OF OCTOBER 28th. 2009. ESPECIALLY TO BRIAN, WHO IS A MARVELLOUS GENTLEMAN AND IS THE LAST PERSON HERE WHO SHOULD HAVE TO PUT UP WITH SUCH UNDESERVED PERSONAL CHARACTER-ASSASSINATION. LET IT BE KNOWN THAT A PRIVATE PERSONAL APOLOGY WAS SENT, BUT WAS SEEN INSUFFICIENT. FAIR ENOUGH.

vienna1964
Deleted

Aug 9, 2009, 2:46 PM

Team(s):

Post #4 of 17 (39545 views)
Shortcut
Re: [vienna1964] Whats This Section For? [In reply to] Can't Post or

Great start chaps.

One thread per League if you please, all of that League's divisions in that thread... and please DO get attendance figures where they're available (see TK's 'menu' for last season for a rough guide) and certainly make enquiries of any other leagues that haven't seemed previously to give attendances... try and persuade them (nicely) perhaps ?

Would certainly improve our mousetrap !

I APOLOGISE UNRESERVEDLY TO EACH AND EVERY PERSON ON THIS FORUM WHO HAS FELT LET-DOWN BY MY INIMICABLE AND DEPLORABLE BEHAVIOUR OF OCTOBER 28th. 2009. ESPECIALLY TO BRIAN, WHO IS A MARVELLOUS GENTLEMAN AND IS THE LAST PERSON HERE WHO SHOULD HAVE TO PUT UP WITH SUCH UNDESERVED PERSONAL CHARACTER-ASSASSINATION. LET IT BE KNOWN THAT A PRIVATE PERSONAL APOLOGY WAS SENT, BUT WAS SEEN INSUFFICIENT. FAIR ENOUGH.

PaulC
Man City Transfer Target!

Aug 9, 2009, 3:21 PM

Team(s): AFC Darwen, Troon, Ayr Utd, Burnley

Post #5 of 17 (39533 views)
Shortcut
Re: [vienna1964] Whats This Section For? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Would you prefer the Scottish results to be posted, as they currently are, in the "Other British Isles non-league" section? Or should they be posted here?

vienna1964
Deleted

Aug 9, 2009, 3:32 PM

Team(s):

Post #6 of 17 (39530 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PaulC] Whats This Section For? [In reply to] Can't Post or

Hi Paul.

I guess now we have this Section, it'd be nice to have it all together here.

If that's not too much trouble ?

PaulC

Aug 9, 2009, 4:13 PM

Post #7 of 17 (39514 views)
Shortcut
Re: [vienna1964] Whats This Section For? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

no problem at all.

maisiebob
Junior Team Star

Aug 10, 2009, 3:57 AM

Team(s): Wolves

Post #8 of 17 (39417 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PaulC] Whats This Section For? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Well done every one. Great start.

vienna1964
Deleted

Aug 19, 2009, 11:35 AM

Team(s):

Post #9 of 17 (39096 views)
Shortcut
Re: [steve walker] Whats This Section For? [In reply to] Can't Post or

We are doing REALLY well in this result/fixture recording lark - keep it up, it'll be so much easier in transliterating to Joomla.

There may be some Step 5's to 9's not getting their fair share of attention however, sao if someone feels so disposed have a look-see and help out with a little extra - if you can - obviously prioritising higher over lower placed levels.

Ta !

Angus

oftenscore6
Chelsea Transfer Target

Aug 26, 2009, 4:12 PM

Team(s): FCUM, MUFC, Hammarby, St Pauli, Hawthorn (AFL)

Post #10 of 17 (38983 views)
Shortcut

Just my opinion, but I think Three Sides's site is good enough in the interim to direct people for results to rather than recording them here. All the basics seem to be there and by utilising the leagues' own webites, the maintenance must be pretty low and far better visually than tracking by this thread. I am wondering of the value of recording results in this thread, unless some divisions have incomplete result data? I would be happy if Three Sides's site continued indefinitely!

What I think it is not able to deliver is the information where multiple leagues are brought together - attendances, monthly fixtures - though I notice that 2009-10 attendances are appearing on TK's frozen site (certainly for NPP in the max/min/averages)? I don't think we all need to update that data urgently or simultaneously, which sounded like the main Joomla problem?

-----------------------------------------------
Last new football ground (766) Solitude Cliftonville 3-2 Linfield (30/9/17)
With FC United: 129
On the agenda:
Oct 22; Stabaek v Tromso
Oct 28: FC United v Nuneaton Town

vienna1964
Deleted

Aug 26, 2009, 9:19 PM

Team(s):

Post #11 of 17 (38970 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oftenscore6] Whats This Section For? [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To
Just my opinion, but I think Three Sides's site is good enough in the interim to direct people for results to rather than recording them here. All the basics seem to be there and by utilising the leagues' own webites, the maintenance must be pretty low and far better visually than tracking by this thread. I am wondering of the value of recording results in this thread, unless some divisions have incomplete result data? I would be happy if Three Sides's site continued indefinitely!

What I think it is not able to deliver is the information where multiple leagues are brought together - attendances, monthly fixtures - though I notice that 2009-10 attendances are appearing on TK's frozen site (certainly for NPP in the max/min/averages)? I don't think we all need to update that data urgently or simultaneously, which sounded like the main Joomla problem?

It's a jolly good point oftenscore6 and to state that I'm very impressed with Mike's efforts is a criminal understatement !

The only immediate negatives that I can think of are...

(i). The chance of an untimely 'losing of' important data because it may be removed from the reference websites ; either deliberately or by accident; would be most unfortunate, although probably not 'terminal' per se - it would likely prove pretty awkward.

(ii). discounting the psychological 'feel-good factor' in respect of the provisioning of tasks which have a certain 'satisfaction value'; not to mention 'habituation value'; for the volunteers - who will feel greater association with the project in performing proactively, rather than continually being 'on standby'.

What thoughts, others ?

PaulC

Aug 27, 2009, 10:02 AM

Post #12 of 17 (38956 views)
Shortcut

I'm sold on Mike's format and believe it's the way to go. It's certainly a continuation of Tony's legacy.

I don't know if there is any communication with Mike 'behind the scenes' but I would propose that the many volunteers we have should upload Ltrack tables, results etc to a free file sharing site such as box.net and that Mike could link to them. There would then be greater uniformity in Mike's display.

With regard to Scottish tables, the official sites are not brilliant and if (as I hope) Mike would consider adding Scottish tables then the method I have proposed would seem the obvious route.

vienna1964
Deleted

Aug 28, 2009, 7:07 PM

Team(s):

Post #13 of 17 (38928 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PaulC] Whats This Section For? [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To
I'm sold on Mike's format and believe it's the way to go. It's certainly a continuation of Tony's legacy.

I don't know if there is any communication with Mike 'behind the scenes' but I would propose that the many volunteers we have should upload Ltrack tables, results etc to a free file sharing site such as box.net and that Mike could link to them. There would then be greater uniformity in Mike's display.

With regard to Scottish tables, the official sites are not brilliant and if (as I hope) Mike would consider adding Scottish tables then the method I have proposed would seem the obvious route.

This would be great on a temporary and even continuing back-up basis.

However, be aware that there were valid reasons why we decided to move away from the L-track option (which could have been ever so much easier to set up), which is only secure if there is a single permitted inputter to the files, as was the case for Tony.

Any other way of operating such a system is far too insecure to be sufficiently reliable over the long-term and is directly what predisposed us to Joomla (access is limited in the dangerous areas to just a handful of volunteers and is even 'shorn' of most of these during the 'active phases' !).

Also, the database is not emplaced in an open access environment - which is always dangerous.

The decision was a 'long-term' one, rather than a 'short-term fix'.

RRYFS
First Team Sub

Aug 28, 2009, 7:33 PM

Team(s): Leicester City, AFC Bournemouth, Hamworthy United

Post #14 of 17 (38919 views)
Shortcut

I messaged Mike on Wednesday to see if I could do anything to include an attendance grid for the Wessex. There is not one on their site, because they just used to provide a link to Tony's attendance figures. Mike is away for the weekend, but I agreed to look for a grid and touch base again next week.
I use L-Track for "my" leagues, and if it were possible to export the details (with some instructions to provide common appearance) to a site to which Mike could link, that would ease the biggest time issue I have at present which is inputting the next week's fixtures to the appropriate thread. Keeping the results up to date is no problem, but the fixtures are fiddly and take ages, when I already have them on L-Track and can update as and when. Any chance of someone more tech literate than me finding somewhere to put them and issuing instructions to the volunteers?

PaulC

Aug 29, 2009, 10:51 AM

Post #15 of 17 (38898 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To
However, be aware that there were valid reasons why we decided to move away from the L-track option (which could have been ever so much easier to set up), which is only secure if there is a single permitted inputter to the files, as was the case for Tony.

Any other way of operating such a system is far too insecure to be sufficiently reliable over the long-term and is directly what predisposed us to Joomla (access is limited in the dangerous areas to just a handful of volunteers and is even 'shorn' of most of these during the 'active phases' !).

Also, the database is not emplaced in an open access environment - which is always dangerous.

I don't see why it has to be so insecure.

Mike's site operates by links to other sites. If each of our volunteers were to upload ltrack files to a free host such as hostrator to which each one has sole password access then it is very secure. Instead of linking to the current wide range of sites, all in different formats, Mike would link to our stored files in a uniform format and he would have secure control of all links from his site.

Sample of file stored on hostrator to which I have sole password access

http://scottishtables.hostrator.com/...ghlandexperiment.txt

(This post was edited by PaulC on Aug 29, 2009, 10:52 AM)

oftenscore6
Chelsea Transfer Target

Aug 30, 2009, 9:40 AM

Team(s): FCUM, MUFC, Hammarby, St Pauli, Hawthorn (AFL)

Post #16 of 17 (38859 views)
Shortcut
Re: [RRYFS] Whats This Section For? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I messaged Mike on Wednesday to see if I could do anything to include an attendance grid for the Wessex. There is not one on their site, because they just used to provide a link to Tony's attendance figures. Mike is away for the weekend, but I agreed to look for a grid and touch base again next week.
I use L-Track for "my" leagues, and if it were possible to export the details (with some instructions to provide common appearance) to a site to which Mike could link, that would ease the biggest time issue I have at present which is inputting the next week's fixtures to the appropriate thread. Keeping the results up to date is no problem, but the fixtures are fiddly and take ages, when I already have them on L-Track and can update as and when. Any chance of someone more tech literate than me finding somewhere to put them and issuing instructions to the volunteers?

For use in this thread, why not just export the fixtures from l-track with the table and results (see attached)? The only downside is it seems to show them as 0-0 results too, but I think people can easily sort them out! If you do the results / fixtures as separate exports, you get around that anyway.

-----------------------------------------------
Last new football ground (766) Solitude Cliftonville 3-2 Linfield (30/9/17)
With FC United: 129
On the agenda:
Oct 22; Stabaek v Tromso
Oct 28: FC United v Nuneaton Town
Attachments: npp.htm (18.8 KB)

mnewz
Youth Team Regular

Feb 8, 2010, 11:09 PM

Team(s): Thatcham,Woking, Chertsey.

Post #17 of 17 (36106 views)
Shortcut
Re: [steve walker] Whats This Section For? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Steve, my enthusiasm for posting information that is readily available elsewhere is definitely waning. I am content to keep adding results if they will be used eventually on Nonleaguematters; but is that still the case or have we abandoned the whole idea?

Michael

The Soccerlinks Hit List

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3